***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,408 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Safe at Home said:

Last night someone mentioned the Astro's post season scoring futility during the Biggio/Bagwell years. I remember those painfully. So for "fun" I looked it up. From 1997 through 2001 the Astros played in 14 playoff games. They won 2 of them and scored a total of 34 runs, an average of 2.4 runs per game.

So yeah Tampa Bay fans, we know how you feel.

34 runs? I'm surprised it's so many.
cablinaggie
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Cards intentionally walked McCann to face Dansby

Shildt is so dumb. McCann was 0-3 going into that AB, Swanson was 2-3. I'm so happy we have the best manager in the majors.
PhatMack19
AG
Dude was born in 1998. I have T-shirt's that old. Crazy
Ag_07
AG
So...The Dodgers have their hands full with the Nats.
Burn-It
AG
That's why TA is the best. Thanks.

I'm clueless on baseball salary cap ( if there is one), but Im guessing Astro ownership sees the value of Cole & would be willing to drop some serious $$,$$$,$$$ to keep him. JV is great, but Cole could insure long term dynasty.
AKA 13-0
agsquirrel97
AG
Burn-It said:

That's why TA is the best. Thanks.

I'm clueless on baseball salary cap ( if there is one), but Im guessing Astro ownership sees the value of Cole & would be willing to drop some serious $$,$$$,$$$ to keep him. JV is great, but Cole could insure long term dynasty.
We are at about $197MM versus a cap of $206MM. Next year Bregman starts hitting us for another $19MM, Greinke will start hitting us for another $20MM, Springer will be due another $18MM, Cole would require another $20+MM. Tucker will be due another $150k All other arbitration players will be a few million more.

This roster is not sustainable next year and trading away Reddick doesn't get us anywhere close to the numbers, there will have to be some changes.

(All of these numbers are very rough, so don't bash me too much)
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/payroll/

Frok
AG
Ag_07 said:

So...The Dodgers have their hands full with the Nats.

Go Walgreens!
Mathguy64
AG
If you didn't believe that managers lose their minds in playoff games before tonight, Martinez would make a believer out of you. Instead of Corbin doing his normal BP day, looks like he's going to come on in relief of Sanchez.
Cromagnum
AG
Tempurpedic mattress order placed. Will see if we get a bonus bed refund. (Needed one anyways so it's no biggie if we dont)
BCSGrubber
AG
I wonder what his plan is if they make it past the dodgers? Hope the extra work doesn't have a lingering impact?
Ag_07
AG
There is no salary cap. There is a luxury tax that kicks in once your salary goes above a certain threshold (not sure what it is next year). Crane has said he'd prefer to stay under that threshold.

But technically no there is no salary cap. An owner can spend to his hearts content. It'll cost him in luxury tax but there's nothing stopping him from a rules standpoint.

So with that said it's not impossible to retain Cole along with all our other studs. Unlikely but not impossible.
Harry Dunne
astros4545 said:

I have never lost a home playoff game I have attended

(Wood has been knocked on)

13-0

Feel free to buy me World Series tickets y'all
This probably just means you haven't been an Astros fan very long!

Unless you attended a playoff game prior to 2004 - then you're a wizard and we need to start a gofundme for tickets for you the rest of the way.
Farmer1906
AG
Another way to look at it. Cole is probably going to get 6 to 8 years. Who's to say Cole is going to still be good at 35 - 37? If signing Cole means no Springer, Correa, or future big FA signing, is it worth it? Can we not get by with JV, Greinke, LMJ, and the guys developing in our system?
Ag_07
AG
I'm really curious just to see how big a contract Cole is gonna get.

He's doing some incredible things and on a historic run. It's gonna be ungodly money.
the last of the bohemians
Here's to hoping Morton has less spin than normal and Greinke gets those edge calls....because I don't want to see our game 4 pitchers in a 5 game series
the last of the bohemians
You can't count on McCullers any more than Correa, but I agree about letting Cole go and shoring up all the foundations, hopefully it's not Boston or NY that gives Cole his 25m
Mr President Elect
AG
mathguy86 said:

If you didn't believe that managers lose their minds in playoff games before tonight, Martinez would make a believer out of you. Instead of Corbin doing his normal BP day, looks like he's going to come on in relief of Sanchez.

I have no problem with what he is doing. Their bullpen is garbage and he is owning it. He is playing to win the game at hand.
Mathguy64
AG
All of this just shows you how different playoff baseball is from the regular season. No more 5th starter. Hell. No more 4th starter in some cases. All the days off mean you can effectively go with a 3 man crew. Pitching depth is negated and bull pen depth is really put to the test.
BCSGrubber
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

You can't count on McCullers any more than Correa, but I agree about letting Cole go and shoring up all the foundations, hopefully it's not Boston or NY that gives Cole his 25m
I don't think Boston has any money left...NYY on the other hand..
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Corbin blowing up
astros4545
AG
Yep

2004 was first playoff game
Farmer1906
AG
Not everyone can be an Ironman. You have to count on guys like LMJ and Correa.
JDUB08AG
AG
There really isn't a single dodgers player that I don't find to be a dbag and/or punchable
PhatMack19
AG
At least Scherzer will be fresh for Game 4 I guess...
Harry Dunne
astros4545 said:

Yep

2004 was first playoff game
Well that's still a pretty nice run.

Not too many fans of too many teams can say they had a 13 consecutive games attended playoff winning streak.
Cromagnum
AG
Well the Nats just blew the game this inning.
txag614
There isn't ONE fresh bullpen arm that they can trust?
Mathguy64
AG
Bringing in Corbin blows up and they very well may have made him less effective in Game 5 if they get there.
Mr President Elect
AG
mathguy86 said:

Bringing in Corbin blows up and they very well may have made him less effective in Game 5 if they get there.

I would assume Strasburg will start game 5, I think that will be on normal rest too with the 2 off days
Cromagnum
AG
Damn. Ballgame bigtime.
Mathguy64
AG
Washington just can't get an out and the dodgers are killing balls to LF
Mr President Elect
AG
Doesn't look like it
Mathguy64
AG
If they get to game 5.
KC_Ag14
AG
7 runs with 2 outs. I would be beside myself...
Frok
AG
Series over
First Page Last Page
Page 1235 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.