***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,707 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Panama Red said:

sure about that?

Three teams tie for two Wild Card spots
If the A's, Indians and Rays were all tied, the three teams would choose/receive A, B and C designations. Club A would host Club B, and the winner would advance to the Wild Card Game. Club C would then host the loser of the game between Club A and Club B to decide the other Wild Card team.
Again, the three designations are decided by head-to-head records. The A's went 9-4 against the Rays and Indians, the Rays went 9-5 against the A's and Indians, and the Indians went 2-11 against the A's and Rays. So the A's would have first pick of designation and the Rays second.
This would present a fun dilemma for the club with the first choice. Would the A's prefer two shots at advancement (one at home, and, if that doesn't go well, one on the road as Club A), despite the impact that might have on their pitching with yet another sudden-death game looming in the Wild Card Game proper? Or would they prefer to take their chances on a single home game (as Club C) for a chance to get to the Wild Card Game?

It likely depends on pitching matchups, but selecting C likely matches up your ace with someone else's #2. But, since the As don't really have an Ace, I think they choose A and give themselves two chances.

That would leave the Rays to choose between two chances on the road or one shot at home. I think they would choose one shot at home (C), which means Cleveland would potentially have to travel coast to coast for two games, and possibly back to the other coast for the play in game.

Please let this three-way tie happen just for the ABC selection and possible scenarios.
Mathguy64
AG
According to an article on Fangraphs, the pecking order of ABC is determined by win % in the games between the three teams. That's Oakland by virtue of 0.05 win% - 1 less loss. So they get the choice of 2 at home or one on the road. Rays are next and would get whatever Oakland doesn't pick and Cleveland is last. One way or the other Cleveland would get stuck having to win twice on the road.
bearkatag15
AG
mathguy86 said:

According to an article on Fangraphs, the pecking order of ABC is determined by win % in the games between the three teams. That's Oakland by virtue of 0.05 win% - 1 less loss. So they get the choice of 2 at home or one on the road. Rays are next and would get whatever Oakland doesn't pick and Cleveland is last. One way or the other Cleveland would get stuck having to win twice on the road.
I think I would choose the 1 road game in this scenario. Having to win just 1 game out weighs getting home field for 2 games.
Bregxit
AG
mathguy86 said:

Club A gets 1 home then 1 road (if they win game 1)
Club B gets 2 road (if they win game 1)
Club C gets 1 home
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

So they get the choice of 2 at home or one on the road.
This choice does not exist.

Team A plays one at home, then maybe one on the road.

Team B plays first on the road, then maybe a second on the road.

Team C plays one at home.
Bregxit
AG
bearkatag15 said:

mathguy86 said:

I think I would choose the 1 road game in this scenario. Having to win just 1 game out weighs getting home field for 2 games.

There is no 1 road game scenario.
Panama Red
AG
Club A gets 1 home then 1 road (if they win lose game 1)
Club B gets 2 road (if they win lose game 1)
Club C gets 1 home
3B Paul 97
AG
mazag08 said:

Have we traded Correa yet?

Progress was real promising, but then talks unexpectedly broke down.
Bregxit
AG
Panama Red said:

Club C gets 1 home

If they lose, they go home. No second game.
Mathguy64
AG
It might depend on where you are in your pitching rotation. If your #1 is ready they have to go. Lose and you go home. If you are at your 4/5 spot for the first game but can wait and get a day of rest to get back to your #1, absolutely. Both TB and the A's have winning road records.
Panama Red
AG
Bregxit said:

Panama Red said:

Club C gets 1 home

From your link above:

After Clubs have been assigned their A, B and C designations, Club A would host Club B. The winner of the game would be declared one Wild Card winner. Club C would then host the loser of the game between Club A and Club B to determine the second Wild Card Club.
Ag_07
AG
Me reading this thread right now

Bregxit
AG
Panama Red said:

Bregxit said:

Panama Red said:

Club C gets 1 home

From your link above:

After Clubs have been assigned their A, B and C designations, Club A would host Club B. The winner of the game would be declared one Wild Card winner. Club C would then host the loser of the game between Club A and Club B to determine the second Wild Card Club.

GDit I quit. ****ing lawyers came up with this nonsense didn't they?
Mathguy64
AG
Crap. I was thinking it was a 3 way tie for 1 spot. That's what I laid out. Its three for 2 spots. The winner of the first game gets in. The loser gets a second chance to play in.
Charlie Conway
the real question is since they have 3 teams trying to 1 WC spot in the ALDS why not just use the same 3 team tie breaker they have for the division champions? You have 3 teams for one spot either way, It's like they want to force in the WILD CARD GAME
Ag_07
AG
This is Exhibit A of why you don't fck with those WC spots and just win the division.
Beat40
Of course they're forcing the wild card game because the Wild Card game is an official part of the postseason now. They can't just bypass the Wild card game in the scenario. The wild card game still needs to be played.

The matter of the wild card game being necessary in baseball is a different matter all together.
McInnis
AG
Charlie Conway said:

the real question is since they have 3 teams trying to 1 WC spot in the ALDS why not just use the same 3 team tie breaker they have for the division champions? You have 3 teams for one spot either way, It's like they want to force in the WILD CARD GAME

$$ would be the answer I guess.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So my take on the Cy young debate. Since the discussion seems to really be split in more advance metrics and more observed consistancy why not go back to more old school stats approach... Wins, Innings, Dominant performances....

JV will have more wins, he has pitched more innings and he has a complete game no-hitter this season.....not to mention he is an older player with a proven track record....give the man his award!!!
jkag89
Charlie Conway said:

Because baseball has always extended the season to determine which teams should be in the postseason, tie breakers are only a recent addition to the game and only to determine seeding within the expanded playoffs.
Daniel Kaffee
AG
cpsencik04 said:

So my take on the Cy young debate. Since the discussion seems to really be split in more advance metrics and more observed consistancy why not go back to more old school stats approach... Wins, Innings, Dominant performances....

JV will have more wins, he has pitched more innings and he has a complete game no-hitter this season.....not to mention he is an older player with a proven track record....give the man his award!!!
We don't know yet that JV will have more wins.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
The best Cole can do is tie...
Mr.Ackar07
Charlie Conway said:

The tie breaker for the division champ still allows the loser of the tie-breaker a postseason spot albeit it comes in the form of a wild card one-game playoff postseason spot.

The loser of the wild card tie-breaker in your scenario would go home and not be in the postseason.
Bregxit
AG
Ag_07 said:

This is Exhibit A of why you don't fck with those WC spots and just win the division.
You sure it isn't Exhibit B or C?
Mr President Elect
AG
Yep. But I love the chaos
spadilly
S
willjohnathan said:

Yep. But I love the chaos

Plus, let's have the WC team we end up facing have to burn their pitchers in those tiebreak games.
bearkatag15
AG

Mattress Mack hedging his free furniture promo?
Mathguy64
AG
That's a lot of moolah on a +250 bet. I wish I could afford to lose $200k
Farmer1906
AG
k20dub
AG
Deluxe said:

Charlie Conway said:

It's closer to unlikely than 50/50

They said the same thing about Team USA Hockey's chances against Iceland in the 1994 Junior Goodwill Games championship

Just catching up on this thread but just have to give this post props. What an on brand reference. Bravo.

superaggie73
AG
Correa losing millions by the day
jckrjr7
AG
At this point Correa needs to get reps before the playoffs. Who cares about his back
Farmer1906
AG
I do. Because we saw I hired Correa last year.
CFTXAG10
AG
Just make sure Correa plays the last regular season game so he gets his bad return game out of the way
bearkatag15
AG
CFM is doing CFM thing vs theYankees right now.

Rays 2
Yanks 0
Bottom 3rd
First Page Last Page
Page 1097 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.