***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,584 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Andyzipp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Phrasing said:

Farmer1906 said:

cpsencik04 said:

Id like to see Yordan work extensively in a winter league at 1B...that dudes future is not in the OF
100% agree.

Yuli has been great this year, but he'll be 36 and on the last year of his deal. Let him and Yordan split time at 1st. Give them both plenty of DH days too.

I like this. Yuli plays a great first base though, hopefully Yordan can develop into that kind of fielder.

He didn't always.

Yordan is young enough. He'll figure it out if he puts in half the work he does honing his hitting.
Agreed. He's committed 9 errors in 851 chances (114 games) at 1b in the minors. 7 of those errors happened before he turned 18.
spadilly
S
Off days...

Mathguy64
AG
Off day yes, but it was a great day to clinch as they can travel to Seattle and recuperate. And from experience traveling to Seattle sucks.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Get your rest boys, going to be some late nights this week. First pitch is after 9pm T-F, after 8pm Sat., and 2pm on Sunday.

Ag_07
AG
If Yordan takes over at 1B then what will be Tucker's fall back plan be when we can't move Reddick and he becomes an AS in his contract year?
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

If Yordan takes over at 1B then what will be Tucker's fall back plan be when we can't move Reddick and he becomes an AS in his contract year?

Offseason To Do List
-Trade Bregman for Sale
-Yuli to 3B to replace Bregman
-Teach Tucker 3B for when Yuli's contract is up
-Let Cole walk to save money to keep Reddick
-Low ball Springer and enter a heated arbitration hearing (let him walk after 2020)
-Extend Reddick and assume he will takeover CF when Springer walks
-Give Correa a 10 year/$350 million extension
-Don't sign any starting pitchers and assume Whitley will be ready opening day
3B Paul 97
AG
Deluxe said:

Ag_07 said:

Offseason To Do List
-Trade Bregman for Sale
-Low ball Springer and enter a heated arbitration hearing (let him walk after 2020)

Any chance we could get someone like Carlos Gomez to replace Springer. He could bring the same level of energy to the clubhouse.
bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe said:

Ag_07 said:

Offseason To Do List
-Trade Bregman for Sale

Do the opposite of all of that
astros4545
AG
Deluxe said:

Ag_07 said:

Offseason To Do List
-Trade Bregman for Sale

Still a 95 win team
Deluxe
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Any chance we could get someone like Carlos Gomez to replace Springer. He could bring the same level of energy to the clubhouse.
These are the type of ideas Luhnow needs to be all over. Gomez basically as productive as Springer, but also provides the same "energy/spark" and costs much less. Smart idea.

I'd also be in favor of bringing back Giles. Not as a closer (we've got Osuna) but to compete with Pressly for setup man responsibilities. Let Will Harris walk to create a spot in the bullpen.
Agnzona
Who might be the Diaz or Brantley of next year? Solid veterans that want to win and have fun?
Farmer1906
AG
Agnzona said:

Who might be the Diaz or Brantley of next year? Solid veterans that want to win and have fun?

What position are we going to bring in a bet for?

We need to find the next CFM, Miley, etc. type to be our #4.

We'll need to either resign or sign 2 new catchers.
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

Ag_07 said:

Offseason To Do List
-Trade Bregman for Sale

Not bad

But for Cole's replacement I'm thinking we bring back Tyler White and let Strom work his magic.
Ag_07
AG
That's Aaron Sanchez

A full off-season and ST with Strom and he'll be a nice #4
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

That's Aaron Sanchez

Well, there you go.

Move Zach up to #2. Insert Lance in #3. Sanchez #4. Rookie in the 5 slot. Then we can add at the deadline if needed.

We bring back every position player and their back up except catcher.

We'll find some diamonds for the bullpen and get a vet catcher or two.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

That's Aaron Sanchez

Well, there you go.

Move Zach up to #2. Insert Lance in #3. Sanchez #4. Rookie in the 5 slot. Then we can add at the deadline if needed.

We bring back every position player and their back up except catcher.

We'll find some diamonds for the bullpen and get a vet catcher or two.
I think that gets us 100 for the 4th straight year
Teddy Perkins
AG

Been waiting on this photo. Step 1, complete.
Beat40
I gotta be honest. I sometimes forget that we have Lance.
Farmer1906
AG
I very much expect him to make us all remember in 2020. He battled last postseason through some serious stuff.
Bregxit
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I very much expect him to make us all remember in 2019. He battled last postseason through some serious stuff.

He isn't available this postseason right?
3B Paul 97
AG
I would be good trading Grienke for a bullpen arm/catcher/prospects if that in any way guaranteed resigning Cole.
If
JV
Cole
Lance
Sanchez
Urquidy/Whitley

Maybe Sanchez to the pen if both young guys pan out. Abreu should also get a roster spot.
Burn-It
AG
Deluxe said:

Ag_07 said:

Offseason To Do List
-Trade Bregman for Sale

I hope this an extremely poor attempt at humor.
AKA 13-0
Farmer1906
AG
Typo
Agnzona
3B Paul 97 said:

I would be good trading Grienke for a bullpen arm/catcher/prospects if that in any way guaranteed resigning Cole.
If
JV
Cole
Lance
Sanchez
Urquidy/Whitley

Maybe Sanchez to the pen if both young guys pan out. Abreu should also get a roster spot.

Is do that in a heart beat, but Cole has got to want to stay rather than be the highest paid pitcher.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Bregxit
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Typo

Ok...thought I missed some huge news or something!
Ag_07
AG
Trading Greinke isn't gonna happen. It doesn't make sense any sense to me.

We wouldn't get equal to what we gave up.

Plus with the money ARZ kicked in we're getting a decent deal for a top end starter. Not sure why we'd wanna give that up.
Agnzona
Ag_07 said:

Trading Greinke isn't gonna happen. It doesn't make sense any sense to me.

We wouldn't get equal to what we gave up.

Plus with the money ARZ kicked in we're getting a decent deal for a top end starter. Not sure why we'd wanna give that up.

If you can keep one its a No brainer. I also fear Grenke maybe one of those guys that go downhill fairly quickly. Sure at this price he is a great 3 starter to eat innings, but I don't like it if he is my 2 and than what??
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

That's Aaron Sanchez

AggiEE
Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

Harry Dunne said:

2. This isn't Playstation. You can't just decide that a beloved veteran guy that has helped you get to the top is expendable and toss him. It's like some people have never been part of a team, sports or otherwise.

With this logic, bringing in Diaz to perform roughly the same as Marwin did for ~$10mm/year cheaper was a bad move because Marwin was a beloved veteran guy. Great organizations have to make tough decisions to sustain success in the salary cap era. Resource optimization is paramount. In my experience following team sports, this sort of thing happens all the time.

Maybe we disagree here but I think our clubhouse chemistry is fine and I don't think Reddick is some sort of "glue guy" that would set off a jenga-like collapse if he got dealt. Similarly, I didn't see Marwin, or Morton, or Kemp, or McCann, or any of the other guys we've dealt/let walk over the past couple years in that same light. Otherwise we would have been smart to just keep the exact 25 man roster from 2017 in tact. No changes. Why mess with chemistry that won a ring?

Edited out the part about who should start in October because it was confusing some posters. Sticking to the issue that Harry raised.
We're probably not that far off here. I agree that it wouldn't set off any sort of collapse either if Reddick didn't get first crack at starting in the postseason or if he got dealt in the offseason - I never said anything like that. The team has enough leadership all around to overcome it, especially if it is clearly the best move for the organization.

What I did say is that I think it would be low class and not well-received to unload him in the offseason and I don't think that's comparable to the guys you mentioned above, who all had expired contracts were about to be overpaid in free agency (as opposed to Reddick, who is in the final year of his reasonable contract). The Patriots can pull it off and so can Luhnow, I guess. Some teams need to do that to survive, but I just don't see that as his ("our") style. Not in 2019, anyway.

Also $13M next year for Reddick isn't going to be the thing that prevents us from re-signing our studs. It would be different if he had multiple years left and that salary were blocking other moves.

Have you seen how tight our budget will be next season? We are going to need to shed inefficiencies everywhere in order to try and replace Cole and our bullpen.

I do not see how we can hold on to Reddick's contract. Even if we only save a few million, that allows us to boost the pen.

And there's nothing unclassy about it. It's just business. Reddick hasn't amassed some Biggio esque legacy in Houston to warrant keeping him, and his performance has shown there's no reason to either.
Ag_07
AG
Greinke has already revamped his approach and he's shown he's willing and capable of adapting as his skill set changes.

And to Harry...I'm fairly certain Strom can make Sanchez a #4 starter. If we were depending on him to be a #2 I'd be worried.
W
AG
Agnzona said:

this crossed my mind too. Is there a veteran outfielder hitting free agency after the season that the Astros might be interested in getting under contract thru 2021...as a hedge against losing 3 outfielders after the 2020 season.

somewhat similar to acquiring Diaz last offseason even though Bregman, Correa, and Altuve were already on the roster.

however that would probably mean adios to Reddick and/or Jake or both after the postseason
Farmer1906
AG
Presage got moved to 1pm.

We can get 4 per game. I might be able to get 2 extra for game 2 if anyone is interested. No promises though.
Silent For Too Long
The other day on 790 they were talking about Sanchez not even bring back for next year. Like that Astros might part ways with him instead of dealing with his injury. Can't remember who, maybe the Adam's.

I think the most likely scenario by far is JV, Grienke, LMJ, and the some combo of Miley level FAs and our farm pitchers for 4 and 5.

Cole train is going to go make a ton of money for some one else and the best of luck to the guy. I just do not see a scenario where you free a max contract TORP out of a team already at the tax threshold.

Would love to be surprised, though. He's going to crush batters souls for the next 5 to 6 seasons at least and it would be awesome if he did it in an Astros uniform.

All the more reason to relish every pitch he throws from here on out. Let's get a ring.
n_touch
Maybe they can back load his contract so that we get past JV's contract.
mwm
They've got the JV no-hitter on re-play. But don't tell anybody; I don't want to jinx it.
First Page Last Page
Page 1087 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.