***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,727,161 Views | 74431 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by PSully97
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I totally agree. Miley's arm is dead. Sad and unfortunate but confidence in him to get an out in the playoffs is 0%.
ontheedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well stated.
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
has there been an in depth analysis done on Miley's situation? Is his velocity down? spin rate? location? what is it that has turned a pretty good 4th pitcher into a guy that cant even get an out in the first inning?
YellAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure which is more disappointing, seeing 20 new replies to this thread on my watch list and it being nothing but Reddick vs. Tucker posts or seeing 20 new replies on the Tine weather/sports girls thread and it being nothing but guys arguing whether a news thot is an 8.5 or just an 8.
cpsencik04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That would be the horribly wrong portion, since in order for Diaz to step foot on the field someone else already has to get injured because in my opinion he should never start over Bregman at 3rd, Correa at SS or Yuli at 1st
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gambochaman said:

has there been an in depth analysis done on Miley's situation? Is his velocity down? spin rate? location? what is it that has turned a pretty good 4th pitcher into a guy that cant even get an out in the first inning?
Initial assessment was that Miley was getting rocked because hitters were game planning and taking his cutter the other way. I haven't heard anything that suggests Miley's velocity is down.
willjohnathan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cpsencik04 said:

willjohnathan said:

I am not sure where Toro would get PT barring an injury. Even then Diaz would be the one to fill in. Probably would only pinch hit once per game max (for the catcher) and that would go to either Tucker (assuming he makes it) or Diaz. At least with Straw you have a defined role for him.


If it is an injury that would knock the player out can't you drop the injured player and replace them? That the only way Toro is on this team in my view

I believe the rule is that you can replace them, but then that injured player has to sit the next series as well. So it would depend on the magnitude of the injury on whether you would want to do that or not.
willjohnathan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Aren't we looking at doing this with Miley too?
No. Miley is looking at doing this to Miley. It's one thing if a hitter goes 0-15 in a series, but it's another thing if a starting pitcher gives you 1/3 of an innning and gives up 6 runs. From my understanding we are giving him another chance to right the ship and show some life, give us some reason to bring him along. I am pulling for the guy, but his falloff has been astronomical.
cpsencik04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Personally I come to this thread for discussion....I do not go to the other for discussion, so it is much more disappointing. But on the note I just wish people would stop posting pictures of a troll who is also not a reporter/sports caster etc
willjohnathan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

He's not. But he's a better base runner.
Somewhat. I am not sure we trust Straw to steal second base based on some of his base running blunders, and yes Tucker has shown the ability to swipe a bag. Outside of that, I am taking Straw on the pads. 1st to home on a double, 2nd to home on a single, 3rd to home on a tag up; Straw wins all those with ease, as long as he touches the bases as he rounds them this time.

I am in no way a Tucker hater, but some of you guys are trying to create a legend out of this guy already. Bagwell was kind of harsh on him the other night, which leads me to believe the Astros might think he could get exploited by good pitching and a team with playoff focus / preperation.

I get Reddick has been pretty awful since June and his .275 BA is misleading, but he has definitely shown at least some life lately. With that being said if he goes 1-20 for the rest of the season, I am all for starting Tucker over him for the first couple of games and if Tucker doesn't go o-fer, then leave Tucker in for the remaining games as well.
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Deluxe said:

Harry Dunne said:


2. This isn't Playstation. You can't just decide that a beloved veteran guy that has helped you get to the top is expendable and toss him. It's like some people have never been part of a team, sports or otherwise.

With this logic, bringing in Diaz to perform roughly the same as Marwin did for ~$10mm/year cheaper was a bad move because Marwin was a beloved veteran guy. Great organizations have to make tough decisions to sustain success in the salary cap era. Resource optimization is paramount. In my experience following team sports, this sort of thing happens all the time.

Maybe we disagree here but I think our clubhouse chemistry is fine and I don't think Reddick is some sort of "glue guy" that would set off a jenga-like collapse if he got dealt. Similarly, I didn't see Marwin, or Morton, or Kemp, or McCann, or any of the other guys we've dealt/let walk over the past couple years in that same light. Otherwise we would have been smart to just keep the exact 25 man roster from 2017 in tact. No changes. Why mess with chemistry that won a ring?

Edited out the part about who should start in October because it was confusing some posters. Sticking to the issue that Harry raised.
We're probably not that far off here. I agree that it wouldn't set off any sort of collapse either if Reddick didn't get first crack at starting in the postseason or if he got dealt in the offseason - I never said anything like that. The team has enough leadership all around to overcome it, especially if it is clearly the best move for the organization.

What I did say is that I think it would be low class and not well-received to unload him in the offseason and I don't think that's comparable to the guys you mentioned above, who all had expired contracts were about to be overpaid in free agency (as opposed to Reddick, who is in the final year of his reasonable contract). The Patriots can pull it off and so can Luhnow, I guess. Some teams need to do that to survive, but I just don't see that as his ("our") style. Not in 2019, anyway.

Also $13M next year for Reddick isn't going to be the thing that prevents us from re-signing our studs. It would be different if he had multiple years left and that salary were blocking other moves.
tjholley16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
got a ticket for the ALCS home game 2 off of stubhub for $167

Figured I'd get them now rather than risk not getting the presale and spending about the same amount. Last year mine on the presale was $140 after fees for upper deck.
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fair enough
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YellAg2004 said:

I'm not sure which is more disappointing, seeing 20 new replies to this thread on my watch list and it being nothing but Reddick vs. Tucker posts or seeing 20 new replies on the Tine weather/sports girls thread and it being nothing but guys arguing whether a news thot is an 8.5 or just an 8.
I'm not sure which is more disappointing, someone on the Astros thread posting about non-Astros related topics or that same person moaning about actual Astros-related topics.

Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
willjohnathan said:


I am in no way a Tucker hater, but some of you guys are trying to create a legend out of this guy already. Bagwell has kind of harsh on him the other night, which leads me to believe the Astros might think he could get exploited by good pitching and a team with playoff focus / preperation.

I noticed that too, and it was surprising to me because Bagwell is typically so complimentary and gracious about our players.

Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I missed that. What'd Bags say?
Andyzipp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

I missed that. What'd Bags say?
Slow bat, hole in his swing, IIRC.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
total home attendance for 2019 ---> 2,857,367

good for top 10 in MLB this year.

per game attendance ---> 35,276

the 'stros went 60-21 at MMP
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Uncle Mike doesn't have a very fast bat. Its just the smooth swing of a professional hitter. Tucker has a flatter swing but he's swinging as hard as Brantley. Its just not the pretty left handed swing of Alvarez, who by the way swings with murderous intent.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
it will be very interesting to see what the front office does with the outfield in the offseason.

it will be very crowded in spring training with George, Brantley, Reddick, Marisnick, Tucker, and Yordan.

however I believe the active roster expands from 25 to 26 players next year.

maybe there will be room for all of them on opening day
Andyzipp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

it will be very interesting to see what the front office does with the outfield in the offseason.

it will be very crowded in spring training with George, Brantley, Reddick, Marisnick, Tucker, and Yordan.

however I believe the active roster expands from 25 to 26 players next year.

maybe there will be room for all of them on opening day

Marisnick is a FA as soon as the playoffs are over. He's likely gone.
The Astros will shop Reddick (again) this offseason. If they agree to eat some of his contract, he's probably gone.
Yordan is the DH until further notice, with occasional starts in LF.

The Astros opened this year with 5 outfielders (Brantley, Springer, Reddick, Kemp, Marisnick)
If they get their way, they'll likely open 2020 with Brantley, Springer, Tucker, Straw and Yordan.
Charlie Conway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tjholley16 said:

got a ticket for the ALCS home game 2 off of stubhub for $167

Figured I'd get them now rather than risk not getting the presale and spending about the same amount. Last year mine on the presale was $140 after fees for upper deck.
I'm bookmarking your post for hindsight allegations of jinxing the team if, unfortunately, the situation arises, I hope you understand
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jake is under team control for 1 more year and he only made $2.2 MM in 2019. He's very cheap.

however he fell off considerably in the second half and will finish with an OPS around .708 (in 300+ plate appearances).

the Astros need a better 4th outfielder
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not quite accurate. He has another year of arb. He should make around 3-4 M never year.
Andyzipp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Not quite accurate. He has another year of arb. He should make around 3-4 M never year.
You're right. I completely misread Spotrac. My bad.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

Jake is under team control for 1 more year and he only made $2.2 MM in 2019. He's very cheap.

however he fell off considerably in the second half and will finish with an OPS around .708 (in 300+ plate appearances).

the Astros need a better 4th outfielder


We have one. His name is Josh Reddick.
cpsencik04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Id like to see Yordan work extensively in a winter league at 1B...that dudes future is not in the OF
willjohnathan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Id like to see Yordan work extensively in a winter league at 1B...that dudes future is not in the OF
Has he had any bad plays in the OF this year? I don't recall seeing any, though he hasn't played much defense to get a good sample size. However, at his size he could make up for a lot of bad throws at 1b.
cpsencik04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He has not but he has played VERY little out there. When he did he then missed a few days from leg/knee soreness....now this was after fouling a ball off his leg but the strain of playing outfield can irritate that more than DH or just playing first
cpsencik04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, Im not saying he should be transitioning to even being our full time 1B, but in order to get him in the field occasionally and play in games in NL parks I feel that is his role not patrolling LF
tjholley16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charlie Conway said:

tjholley16 said:

got a ticket for the ALCS home game 2 off of stubhub for $167

Figured I'd get them now rather than risk not getting the presale and spending about the same amount. Last year mine on the presale was $140 after fees for upper deck.
I'm bookmarking your post for hindsight allegations of jinxing the team if, unfortunately, the situation arises, I hope you understand
Understood
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Also, Im not saying he should be transitioning to even being our full time 1B, but in order to get him in the field occasionally and play in games in NL parks I feel that is his role not patrolling LF
I'm pretty sure the organization already stated that both Yordan and Tucker will get time in the offseason and Spring at 1B. They probably see him playing 1B, LF and DH and want him to have the flexibility to play all 3 so Hinch can go back to rotation players through the DH spot for additional rest
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Id like to see Yordan work extensively in a winter league at 1B...that dudes future is not in the OF
100% agree.

Yuli has been great this year, but he'll be 36 and on the last year of his deal. Let him and Yordan split time at 1st. Give them both plenty of DH days too.

Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

cpsencik04 said:

Id like to see Yordan work extensively in a winter league at 1B...that dudes future is not in the OF
100% agree.

Yuli has been great this year, but he'll be 36 and on the last year of his deal. Let him and Yordan split time at 1st. Give them both plenty of DH days too.


I like this. Yuli plays a great first base though, hopefully Yordan can develop into that kind of fielder.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Phrasing said:

Farmer1906 said:

cpsencik04 said:

Id like to see Yordan work extensively in a winter league at 1B...that dudes future is not in the OF
100% agree.

Yuli has been great this year, but he'll be 36 and on the last year of his deal. Let him and Yordan split time at 1st. Give them both plenty of DH days too.


I like this. Yuli plays a great first base though, hopefully Yordan can develop into that kind of fielder.


He didn't always.

Yordan is young enough. He'll figure it out if he puts in half the work he does honing his hitting.