***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,142 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

Would he be a 5 at the start of the season? Obviously not. But he and Miley would have been 3/4. Order there isn't really relevant. Once Greinke showed up Aug 1, Miley and CFM would be 4/5. 4 or 5 makes no difference as you could afford to let one or the other skip a start when the off day happens. And they do happen. Heck, the last 3 weeks of this season we are a 4 man rotation with all the off days. Even skipping 3 or 4 starts would save a lot of wear and tear.

And last year he was at 30 starts and 167 IP that's about 5.5 IP per start.

Its really worse than that. Hes already thrown 250 more pitches this season that last and he still has 2 starts to fo. That will get him roughly 450 extra by the end And compared to 2017 he's already 550 over that final tally.

I think the other poster's point was that if we had CFM pitching like he was for the first 2/3 of the year, we probably wouldn't have traded for Greinke at the deadline.
Farmer1906
AG
Its probably asking for too much, but I would love to match Boston's 108 from last year.

I feel good about Cole tonight.

We have 7 vs LAA. They're terrible and not near 100%.

Quote:

In the last week, the team has shut down sluggers Shohei Ohtani (surgery to address bipartite patella in his left knee), Justin Upton (patellar tendinitis in his right knee) and Mike Trout (Morton's neuroma in his right foot). Before that, reliever Cam Bedrosian stopped trying to return from his strained right forearm, rookie pitcher Griffin Canning pulled the cord on his campaign because of recurring right elbow inflammation and right-hander Felix Pena had surgery to repair the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.
That leaves 2 vs the Mariners. Like LAA, they're terrible.
Beat40
The question for today is, do you think we play the game tonight?
Bregxit
AG
Beat40 said:

Why wouldn't we?
suburban cowboy
AG
Anyone else going tonight?
JYDog90
AG
Beat40 said:

There's a roof.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
willie wonka said:

Beat40 said:

There's a roof.
it's not the roof we're worried about:

Ag_07
AG
Bregxit said:

Beat40 said:

Why wouldn't we?

Because the Rangers are tired of getting their ass whooped up and down I-45 and are ready to start making tee times so they just wave the white flag and forfeit.
n_touch
The big question of the day, does JV hit 3000k on his next start?

Edit: changed question due to ignorance

Farmer1906
AG
Playoffs don't count towards that #.
n_touch
I will go sit in the corner now.
Bregxit
AG
Ag_07 said:

Bregxit said:

Beat40 said:

Why wouldn't we?

Because the Rangers are tired of getting their ass whooped up and down I-45 and are ready to start making tee times so they just wave the white flag and forfeit.
Only if it gives Cole credit for 27 Ks and a perfect game.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Stats question:

What statistics if any do playoff games count towards? Just overall numbers?

Flame away...
Harry Dunne
Bregxit said:

mathguy86 said:

CFM is being forced to pitch every 5th day as a #1. If he were here as a 4 or better yet a 5 imagine the Ip reduction. As a 5 he would periodically get skipped. That alone might save 30 innings. Plus we wouldn't need him to go as deep. Cut him off at 5.1 or 5.2. He's averaging right at 6 IP/start. And oh by the way, he's at 31 starts (career high was 30 last year). He'll get to 33. It's just too many miles.

Having said all that he's had an amazing year. Well worth every penny that the Rays paid him.
Yep. He just can't handle that load, and that's not a knock on him. It just is what it is. The Rays got a steal for what he has been able to give them.

QO was 17.9.
Rays got him for 15/yr for 3 years.
We made an offer that was obviously less money or years...probably because we knew he would/could not throw as many innings here.

I wish it would have worked out here and so does Charlie. I don't blame him at all for looking out for number 1 though at the end of his career.
Rays got him for 15M/yr for 2 years. The third year is a $15M club option with the Rays having all of the power. The option is reduced to:

• $10M if he is on the DL 31-90 days at end of 2020
  • $5M if on DL 91-150 days at end of 2020
  • $3M if on DL 151-200 days at end of 2020
  • $1M if on DL > 201 days at end of 2020.

Ag_07
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Stats question:

Flame away...

None I don't think

They'll count toward career playoff stats like Petite has a career playoff ERA of 1.21 but they don't count towards career stats.
Harry Dunne
cpsencik04 said:

Stats question:

Flame away...
They count towards postseason statistics. They are not part of any regular season records.

Playoff/Bowl stats count as part of the regular season stats in college football and that's a (fairly) recent development. Maybe other college sports too? None of the major pro sports, as far as I know.
Harry Dunne
CoachRTM said:

mathguy86 said:

Would he be a 5 at the start of the season? Obviously not. But he and Miley would have been 3/4. Order there isn't really relevant. Once Greinke showed up Aug 1, Miley and CFM would be 4/5. 4 or 5 makes no difference as you could afford to let one or the other skip a start when the off day happens. And they do happen. Heck, the last 3 weeks of this season we are a 4 man rotation with all the off days. Even skipping 3 or 4 starts would save a lot of wear and tear.

And last year he was at 30 starts and 167 IP that's about 5.5 IP per start.

Its really worse than that. Hes already thrown 250 more pitches this season that last and he still has 2 starts to fo. That will get him roughly 450 extra by the end And compared to 2017 he's already 550 over that final tally.

I think the other poster's point was that if we had CFM pitching like he was for the first 2/3 of the year, we probably wouldn't have traded for Greinke at the deadline.
Correct and agreed, we definitely would not have. We gave up a LOT to get Greinke. Probably ouldn't have done that if we had the top 3 SP in the league (at the time) and thought we could win without giving up several farm studs.

Also might not have done that with a multi-year CFM contract on the books, which we would have had.
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07
AG
bearkatag15 said:

suburban cowboy
AG
Ok so I have 5 in 213 for tonight if anyone's interested. Transfer thru MLBapp.
n_touch
Got any for Sunday?
BMo
Kept mine when they didn't sell by this morning. 1st time to sit in right field and did so hoping to snag one. Leaving shortly.
Juan Solo
AG
interested in 2
suburban cowboy
AG
None for Sunday at this time.

Drop your MLBapp info and I'll transfer them over.
bearkatag15
AG

That didn't take long
n_touch
Anyone going tonight, I will trade a tumbler for a bobblehead
Juan Solo
AG
Thanks!!
dshedd41
S
Going tonight with my uncle and some of his friend, hopefully I'll see Yordan/Bregman crush one again
Gig’em Aggies!
tjack16
AG
It's crazy how much better the AL has gotten since 2015. That season we were 86-76 and won a wild card spot. The last two seasons we would have missed out by 7 games at least with that record.
Mathguy64
AG
We are 99-53 and are not officially assured of being in the playoffs. Yes I know its just a matter of time, but with 10 games left and 99 wins its still a magic number of 2. That's insane that 100-101 wins would be the floor to guarantee playoffs.

106 wins may not win home field. In fact I doubt it will. I think it takes 107. That's stout.
sts7049
AG
not sure if already posted in here...but thank goodness we didn't trade for Vasquez

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27644830/vazquez-told-police-attempted-sex-minor
Harry Dunne
tjholley16 said:

It's crazy how much better the AL has gotten since 2015. That season we were 86-76 and won a wild card spot. The last two seasons we would have missed out by 7 games at least with that record.
I think the talent is just less evenly distributed today. In 2015 there were a lot of decent teams, not a lot of great or terrible teams. All but 3 teams in the AL had between 74 and 88 wins and there was only 3 games between 1st and 3rd place in our division.

I think the 2015 Astros were just as good or better than the 2019 A's or Rays.
tjack16
AG
Harry Dunne said:

tjholley16 said:

I think the talent is just less evenly distributed today. In 2015 there were a lot of decent teams, not a lot of great or terrible teams. All but 3 teams in the AL had between 74 and 88 wins and there was only 3 games between 1st and 3rd place in our division.

I think the 2015 Astros were just as good or better than the 2019 A's or Rays.
True... I think the 2019 Yankees or Astros would sweep the 2015 Royals in a 7 game series
n_touch
Weren't 2015 Astros an error away from taking out the Royals? I cant remember if it was 8th or 9th inning.
tjack16
AG
n_touch said:

Weren't 2015 Astros an error away from taking out the Royals? I cant remember if it was 8th or 9th inning.
Yeah we blew a 6-2 lead in the 8th
First Page Last Page
Page 1057 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.