***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,321 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjholley16 said:

mathguy86 said:

cap-n-jack said:

My bride will not turn the tv off or go to bed until she sees Hinch's presser. Should I be worried?
You have about 15 minutes to wait. I suggest making the most of your free time.

Yeah but what's he gonna do with the other 14 mins and 30 seconds
Cuddle.
cap-n-jack
I almost posted this myself. Hold on here's the presser. Got to focus.
n_touch
Sounds like the presser is what gets things going, you have nothing to worry about till after the season.
Mathguy64
AG
Yankees won. LAD are down 0-1 to Tampa Bay,T4 and Oakland is down 0-1, B5 to KC.
Poot
My DVR would be full of Astros Postgame.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Thinking about driving in from Austin for what is likely Cole's last regular season game as an Astro. How bad is this rain going to be
cablinaggie
AG
Is there anywhere else I can catch Hinch's post game pressers? I watch with mlb.tv and the feeds are cut off a few minutes after the final out.
Farmer1906
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Thinking about driving in from Austin for what is likely Cole's last regular season game as an Astro. How bad is this rain going to be

Downtown is going to get slammed all night long. I don't think it's worth it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cablinaggie said:

Is there anywhere else I can catch Hinch's post game pressers? I watch with mlb.tv and the feeds are cut off a few minutes after the final out.
Tags usually posts some clips:

cablinaggie
AG
Well I guess we won't have to worry about Betances in the playoffs.

Tore his Achilles' tendon eight pitches after coming back.
tjack16
AG
Need the royals to hold on
Mathguy64
AG
Oak and LAD both winning now.
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

Oak and LAD both winning now.

Doesn't matter. We're taking care of business.
Ciboag96
I was just flipping channels and saw a Sarah McLachlan commercial for Yordon and Bregs home run balls. Faauuck.
Big Al 1992
AG
JV one win away from 20
17 Ks away from 300 for the season
11 Ks away from 3000 for the career
What a season!!
CoachRTM
AG
10 games left to go

Tied with the Yankees (we own tiebreaker)
1 game up on the Dodgers (we own tiebreaker)
5.5 games up on the Twins
8 games up on the A's
25 games up on the Rangers
Ag_07
AG
Man 10 games left with Rangers, Seattle, and mailing it in Angels.

Is it asking too much to think we could get to 107 wins?
JYDog90
AG
I wonder once we hit the magic number if we will notice Hinch take his foot off the gas in any way. Yes, home field is very important but would he like to have some of these guys fresh for the playoffs?

I think it will probably look more like it did last night with him pulling JV in the 6th.
n_touch
Quote:

I wonder once we hit the magic number if we will notice Hinch take his foot off the gas in any way. Yes, home field is very important but would he like to have some of these guys fresh for the playoffs?
He may let up a little, but I doubt very much. I think they want the win total just as much as we want to see it happen.
agdaddy04
AG
Looking at 2017 vs 2018, I think AJ understands how important home field is.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Agreed, he'll toe the line but I don't expect anyone to get shutdown, probably just regularly scheduled rest days.
Deluxe
AG
Technically we did control our own destiny at home last year. I think our loss to Boston was more attributable to injuries and a Red Sox team that could literally do nothing wrong.
tjack16
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Home field didn't do much good for either team in the ALCS last year. We went 1-1 at Fenway and 0-3 at home
W
AG
cablinaggie said:

Well I guess we won't have to worry about Betances in the playoffs.

Tore his Achilles' tendon eight pitches after coming back.
and ol' Boone was bragging about his "trade deadline acquisitions" a couple of days ago
Harry Dunne
Was just looking at the 2001 Mariners. Hard to believe they won 116 games. IMO we could have made a run at that number if our roster had been healthy all season. SEA '01 had an impressive lineup, but pitching was a bunch of 2019 Miley/Keuchel types. I guess those pitchers would have had a lot more impressive numbers if they weren't facing guys pumped full of roids every night.

Also to think of what our record would have been if we made CFM the QO, but he's been fading for the last couple of months and I think we are far better off with Greinke.
bearkatag15
AG
Wow just pulled up Chuck's game logs and you aren't kidding. Since July 18th his ERA is 4.66 in 11 starts.

His 20 starts before July 18th, he has a 2.35 ERA.
Mathguy64
AG
CFM is at his limit. His previous high for IP was 171.2 back in 2011. In 17 and 18 he threw 146.2 and 167 and we saw last year at the end he wasn't as good. He's at 182.1 and counting. Given the Rays are fighting for their lives with Cleveland for that last spot, he will need to start 2 more times. That will push him to 195 or higher, assuming he's effective.
Bregxit
AG
mathguy86 said:

CFM is at his limit. His previous high for IP was 171.2 back in 2011. In 17 and 18 he threw 146.2 and 167 and we saw last year at the end he wasn't as good. He's at 182.1 and counting. Given the Rays are fighting for their lives with Cleveland for that last spot, he will need to start 2 more times. That will push him to 195 or higher, assuming he's effective.

It's almost like A.Jeff. Lunhinch knew what they were doing, no matter how cold the calculation was.
Ag_07
AG
agdaddy04 said:

If you look at those 2 years then I'd think he lean more towards being healthy.

This team was banged up bad during the 2018 playoffs.
Mathguy64
AG
CFM is being forced to pitch every 5th day as a #1. If he were here as a 4 or better yet a 5 imagine the Ip reduction. As a 5 he would periodically get skipped. That alone might save 30 innings. Plus we wouldn't need him to go as deep. Cut him off at 5.1 or 5.2. He's averaging right at 6 IP/start. And oh by the way, he's at 31 starts (career high was 30 last year). He'll get to 33. It's just too many miles.

Having said all that he's had an amazing year. Well worth every penny that the Rays paid him.
rosco511
AG
Ag_07 said:

agdaddy04 said:

If you look at those 2 years then I'd think he lean more towards being healthy.

This team was banged up bad during the 2018 playoffs.

Agreed. As someone mentioned, we won game 1 in Boston so immediately flipped around the home field advantage. It was not a contributing factor to us losing.
Bregxit
AG
mathguy86 said:

CFM is being forced to pitch every 5th day as a #1. If he were here as a 4 or better yet a 5 imagine the Ip reduction. As a 5 he would periodically get skipped. That alone might save 30 innings. Plus we wouldn't need him to go as deep. Cut him off at 5.1 or 5.2. He's averaging right at 6 IP/start. And oh by the way, he's at 31 starts (career high was 30 last year). He'll get to 33. It's just too many miles.

Having said all that he's had an amazing year. Well worth every penny that the Rays paid him.
Yep. He just can't handle that load, and that's not a knock on him. It just is what it is. The Rays got a steal for what he has been able to give them.

QO was 17.9.
Rays got him for 15/yr for 3 years.
We made an offer that was obviously less money or years...probably because we knew he would/could not throw as many innings here.

I wish it would have worked out here and so does Charlie. I don't blame him at all for looking out for number 1 though at the end of his career.
Mr President Elect
AG
mathguy86 said:

CFM is being forced to pitch every 5th day as a #1. If he were here as a 4 or better yet a 5 imagine the Ip reduction. As a 5 he would periodically get skipped. That alone might save 30 innings. Plus we wouldn't need him to go as deep. Cut him off at 5.1 or 5.2. He's averaging right at 6 IP/start.
Ummm... what? He would not be the number 5 here, not to mention we would not have traded for Grienke. He would have been the number 3 on a very potent 1,2,3,4. In this hypothetical where he is the number 5, he is not getting skipped. Maybe the All-Star break in order to rearrange some things, but other than that... just no. If we were to see him lose command, velo, or spin; then maybe we would put him no the IL for a stint and that would preserve his innings. Also, don't see us yanking him too often after just 5 innings, no matter what his history is.
Mathguy64
AG
Would he be a 5 at the start of the season? Obviously not. But he and Miley would have been 3/4. Order there isn't really relevant. Once Greinke showed up Aug 1, Miley and CFM would be 4/5. 4 or 5 makes no difference as you could afford to let one or the other skip a start when the off day happens. And they do happen. Heck, the last 3 weeks of this season we are a 4 man rotation with all the off days. Even skipping 3 or 4 starts would save a lot of wear and tear.

And last year he was at 30 starts and 167 IP that's about 5.5 IP per start.

Its really worse than that. Hes already thrown 250 more pitches this season that last and he still has 2 starts to fo. That will get him roughly 450 extra by the end And compared to 2017 he's already 550 over that final tally.
Ag_07
AG
As good as this team is and as bad as our remaining opponents are I think we can rest guys and still make a run at the #1 seed.

We can mix and match to give guys off-days down the stretch but still field a team good enough to beat the Rangers, Mariners, and Angels.

I don't think this is one or the other situation.
First Page Last Page
Page 1056 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.