*****Official Houston Astros Offseason Thread*****

474,142 Views | 3879 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The hell?? Are they implying the term is offensive??? I swear this place is going to hell in a handbasket.
JDUB08AG
AG
I never even remotely thought about disabled person when I saw a reference to the disabled list. Our society is dumb as f***.
Pahdz
about as stupid as Delta apologizing for their Diet Coke napkin deal this week

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2019/02/06/delta-airlines-apologizes-creepy-diet-coke-flight-napkins/2796432002/
iBrad
AG
Pretty soon, we won't have "disabled vehicles" on roadways anymore. We wouldn't want anyone to get offended.
Agnzona
I've owned handicapped vehicles before.
iBrad
AG
Those are different. Disabled vehicles are the ones broken down on the side of the road, similar to how guys on the DL are the ones broken down on the bench. It just seems like we're headed down the path where alternate definitions of words are being removed from our language.
W
AG
texags will still call it the DL
Prosperdick
AG
I say go the other direction, call it the cripple list.
Deluxe
AG
Prosperdick said:

The "might as well be dead" list
McInnis
AG
Quote:

How about the "physically challenged" list?

The Milkman
AG
The Differently Abled List
The Milkman
AG
MAJOR MLB NEWS

Zach Britton is now going to be Zack Britton

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/zach-britton-has-changed-his-name-to-zack-britton/c-303645592
Wabs
AG
The Milkman said:

MAJOR MLB NEWS

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/zach-britton-has-changed-his-name-to-zack-britton/c-303645592
Mr.Ackar07
The Milkman said:

MAJOR MLB NEWS

And in other news, he decided to go ahead and change the spelling of breathe to breath.
titanmaster_race
The Milkman said:

MAJOR MLB NEWS

To be fair, that is the biggest news of this off-season so far.
TXAGcommenter
AG
Being an Astros fan in DFW sucks
theSCHW4B
AG
GarrettL_15 said:

Being an Astros fan in DFW sucks
FIFY
Frok
AG
titanmaster_race said:

The Milkman said:

MAJOR MLB NEWS

To be fair, that is the biggest news of this off-season so far.

Indeed. MLB has the most boring off-season of the major sports
iBrad
AG
How do spend 13 seasons in professional baseball with your name misspelled?

I guess this could be an h or k, so his autograph probably won't change. It's not like he went from Mike to Giancarlo.

Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne
Prosperdick said:

What about "the short bus"?

"AJ really needs to watch Devo's innings or he'll end up riding the short bus again next season."
shano0603
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I still have that card
Prosperdick
AG
shano0603 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I still have that card
I still remember when we drafter Robert Horry and Dream had recently changed his name and Bob awkwardly trying to pronounce it like it had a hard H and sounded like he was coughing up a loogey.
Bulldog73
AG
Verdlander likes this tweet. My guess is he doesn't want to see openers used.

Harry Dunne
McTaggart has James as the 5th starter, Deetz nuts and Jake on the opening day roster...Kemp and Tucker out.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-opening-day-roster-prediction/c-303764066

CATCHERS
Robinson Chirinos
Max Stassi

INFIELDERS
Yuli Gurriel
Jose Altuve
Carlos Correa
Alex Bregman

OUTFIELDERS
Michael Brantley
George Springer
Josh Reddick
Jake Marisnick

UTILITY PLAYERS
Aledmys Diaz
Tyler White

STARTING PITCHERS
Justin Verlander
Gerrit Cole
Collin McHugh
Wade Miley
Josh James

RELIEF PITCHERS
Roberto Osuna
Ryan Pressly
Hector Rondon
Chris Devenski
Will Harris
Brad Peacock
Framber Valdez
Dean Deetz

INJURED LIST
RHP Lance McCullers Jr.
RHP Joe Smith
RHP Francis Martes

TonySoprano
I would rather have kemp or tucker then Jake on the roster.
E
AG
This should be Jakes final make or break year
Miles Finch
E said:

This should be Jakes final make or break year
Not even really sure what that means? Jake is what he is, at this point he's not going to magically develop into something else. He plays exceptional defense, is a weapon on the base paths and displays occasional power. All qualities that can help a team win. Backup/role players don't have to hit 300 to provide value, if they hit 300, then they wouldn't be in that role.
Ag_07
AG
If Tucker isn't on the Opening Day roster then it really is time to trade him. He needs regular reps in the bigs or to be flipped for ML talent.

He's useless smashing AAA pitching.
Bobcat-Ag
He could improve with regular playing time in AAA. I would prefer to see him in the majors, but as long as he is getting regular AB's, then that is good for his development.
TREX01
Not at all. Tucker is going to get his shot. Why the rush to throw him into the mix. He's more valuable to us in October and moving on years from now that he is in April. Its not like hes a 25 year old former top prospect that just can't get it done.
Mathguy64
AG
I believe Jake is out of options. Its either keep him or lose him, because someone is taking him. White may be close to it as well.
Deluxe
AG
As an aside on Tucker (not agreeing or disagreeing with any of the previous posts), I'm in the camp that thinks he's not only going to stick with the big club this year, but also produce at a high level (~20 HRs, .800+ ops).

Not everyone is ready for "the show" when they're 20, especially not a kid who seems to be really mild-mannered and down-to-earth. Our locker room is full of freaks... guys like Bregman and Verlander who intensely prep for every game like it's their last. And they expect everyone around them to work the same way. Not every newb who could out-talent the competition at each prior level of minor league ball is ready for that.

It's also an adjustment to playing in front of 40k every night, on tv, in front of 50 journalists and all the scrutiny that comes with it. Can take some guys a little time to learn how to prep and block out all the distractions and side shows involved with playing major league baseball.

I think he's got the tools. Now it's just a matter of getting him comfortable in the show. After his experience last year, he'll enter 2019 with first hand knowledge of what he's getting himself into. I'm excited to see what he does.
Waffle11
AG
I'm a shade worried about Tucker's power, if I'm being honest. Look at where he's consistently mashed - Fresno and Lancaster, both dry ass, high ass launch pads. Sure, he showed some power in Corpus, but at what cost? His BB/K rate was tough (although, admittedly, he was a little unlucky with balls in play).

And sure, maybe I'm dumping a little bit on a 20 year old kid, but I do have some concerns. I'd see it as just as likely he hits .260/.310 with maybe 10 bombs. He has a great contact tool, but if the game power never comes, then he's Ryan Sweeney.
BMX Bandit
Ag_07 said:

If Tucker isn't on the Opening Day roster then it really is time to trade him. He needs regular reps in the bigs or to be flipped for ML talent.

He's useless smashing AAA pitching.
No matter how good Tucker does during spring training, he will not be on the opening day roster.

First Page Last Page
Page 71 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.