***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,332,599 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CT75 said:

iBrad said:

Just to put things into perspective, Barnes soft liner to lead off the 6th had an exit velocity of 81.1 mph. Taylor's double to score him had an exit velocity of 72.4.

Marwin's line out to end the top of the 6th had an exit velocity of 89.6 and Altuve's ground ball to end the top of the 7th had an exit velocity of 98.5.

Coming through in clutch situations involves quite a bit of luck, too. If Marwin pulls his just a little more or if Altuve finds the hole between short and third or pulls it past Turner for a double, we're not having this conversation.

Reddick is the only one who truly sucked with a chance to do some damage. Striking out removes all luck from the equation.

Dodgers batters, as a whole, seem to have more patience at the plate, seem to work the count better and make our pitcher work harder. They look to want to put the ball in play more often and will go opposite field on you....that's good BB.

Springer and Bregman, to my eyes, are good at this also. During the series, my untrained eye sees the rest of the lineup trying to pull the ball instead of just putting the bat out there and taking what you can get by putting the ball in play. I realize that's an over-generalization....but that's what my eyes see.

Balls that drop for productive run scoring hits that aren't "hit well" are a part of the game we seem to be missing. To me that shows a good AB, patience at the plate and fighting off great pitches. The Dodgers seem to be doing a better job of that.

GO ASTROS
We have the best offense in baseball by a fairly large margin. If our guys are less patient and looking to play small ball less than other teams, it's clearly working. Even if it doesn't fit your idea of "good BB".
Schrute
CT75 said:

iBrad said:

Just to put things into perspective, Barnes soft liner to lead off the 6th had an exit velocity of 81.1 mph. Taylor's double to score him had an exit velocity of 72.4.

Marwin's line out to end the top of the 6th had an exit velocity of 89.6 and Altuve's ground ball to end the top of the 7th had an exit velocity of 98.5.

Coming through in clutch situations involves quite a bit of luck, too. If Marwin pulls his just a little more or if Altuve finds the hole between short and third or pulls it past Turner for a double, we're not having this conversation.

Reddick is the only one who truly sucked with a chance to do some damage. Striking out removes all luck from the equation.

Dodgers batters, as a whole, seem to have more patience at the plate, seem to work the count better and make our pitcher work harder. They look to want to put the ball in play more often and will go opposite field on you....that's good BB.

Springer and Bregman, to my eyes, are good at this also. During the series, my untrained eye sees the rest of the lineup trying to pull the ball instead of just putting the bat out there and taking what you can get by putting the ball in play. I realize that's an over-generalization....but that's what my eyes see.

Balls that drop for productive run scoring hits that aren't "hit well" are a part of the game we seem to be missing. To me that shows a good AB, patience at the plate and fighting off great pitches. The Dodgers seem to be doing a better job of that.

GO ASTROS
Especially true last night with Altuve. He seems to try to do too much at times when we just need a hit. Same with Correa. The AB by Reddick last night in the top of the 5th just about sent me over the edge. That AB may have cost us game 6 and very well may cost us the WS. No excuse for not getting a run(s) in that situation.

All that being said, we've seen this team bounce back in big ways. Need to swing the bats against Darvish and do some early damage. After that we're getting a heavy dose of Kershaw and Jansen....
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Want to apologize for being overly negative guys... lost 2 little league championships, went 3-37 in highschool football and am a Houston/Aggie Sports fan. I just don't know what success is assume the worst because my whole life I have only seen the worse...
saltydog13
AG
I think the taking pitches approach by the dodgers will come back to haunt them. They take an insane amount of 2 strike pitches that are close enough to be strike 3
iBrad
AG
Balls that fall for a hit that aren't hit that well are nothing more than luck. It has nothing to do with approach. If you want to get onto someone for their approach, get onto Reddick. He has to find a way to put the ball in play. Where's the approach he used against Kimbrel in the ADLS? That would have been nice in that situation.

Altuve barreled one up. It just happened to be a ground ball right at Turner. Taylor got jammed and poked a soft liner over Yuli for a double. Taylor's result was by far the better outcome, but it was Altuve that made better contact and put the barrel on the ball.

That's just the way baseball goes. One guy gets celebrated for his good fortune and the other is complained about.
Schrute
Jansen was getting the corners and low strikes last night. It's like blue all of the sudden wanted to start calling it, and we all know MLB desperately wanted a game 7 ($$$$$$). Not saying that is why we lost, but it was clear Jansen was getting calls that pitchers from both teams weren't getting earlier.
Ag_07
AG
CT75 said:

During the series, my untrained eye sees the rest of the lineup trying to pull the ball instead of just putting the bat out there and taking what you can get by putting the ball in play. I realize that's an over-generalization....but that's what my eyes see.

This team doesn't really live by this philosophy. I'm not saying we're the free swingers we were in 2015 and all they're looking to do is hit HRs, but just putting the ball in play isn't what they look do. I think that's also more of a NL approach where guys are just looking to get on, get over, get in. That's not really how we're built.

They look to drive mistakes for XBHs. They are trying to work pitchers to get into favorable counts then drive the ball or walk.

I heard someone mention that Hudgens preaches that if it's not a pitch they can drive out of the park he doesn't want them swinging at it. That's not saying take a huge HR hack at it, but don't swing at pitches you don't have a chance at getting max value out of.

At least that's how I interpret it.
irish pete ag06
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Listen. Get rid of the woe is me bull***** Get rid of the "the moment is too big" bull***** We are entering game 7 of the ****ing World Series. I've been a negative mofo in this thread a lot, but now is not the fkn time. We have a SECOND chance tomorrow to make history and fulfill many of our dreams, mine included, of winning a ****ing World Series.

GTFO with the negativity, GTFO with the woe is me shlt. Gear up and get ****in ready for game 7 of the best game in the world.

We may not come out on top, but God I hope we do. If so, it will be one of the greatest moments of my life and many of yours. If you can't hack it, please stay off this thread.

I'm gonna be here, and I think we will win the whole ****in thing tomorrow. In game 7 of the world ****ing Series.
irish pete ag06
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

And that brings us back to Reddick, doesn't it. If he doesn't have a little league AB, then what Verlander does doesn't matter.

Or maybe, just maybe, pitchers could practice hitting. Strange concept I know.

Who the Phock are you?
tjack16
AG
After thinking a lot about it since last night.... I personally would not bench Reddick. However, if the offense isn't producing, I would pull the trigger pretty quickly on pinch hitting somebody.
Can't wait around and assume there will be a late inning rally every game.
Frok
AG
Holy smokes. I had a meltdown last night. I rushed my kids trick or treating in the pouring rain. Got absolutely soaked but was so focused on the game I didn't care.

And then we started losing and the darkness overtook me.

Give me some positive vibes this morning. We can do this right?
irish pete ag06
AG
Your Mom And Them said:

Pederson needs to be earholed in his first AB tonight.

We play NL West next season. Plenty of time for that then.
ClickClack
AG
Frok said:

Holy smokes. I had a meltdown last night. I rushed my kids trick or treating in the pouring rain. Got absolutely soaked but was so focused on the game I didn't care.

And then we started losing and the darkness overtook me.

Give me some positive vibes this morning. We can do this right?

Yes. We can for sure. McCullers is going to compete like no one we've seen and we've seen what our players can do when the pressure is on (see game 2, game 5). We are gonna compete with everything we've got. And hopefully come home with the World Series trophy.
cone
AG
we didn't get game sixed like i feared

that was a conventional road loss to a good team

disappointing, but not soul crushing

we've got a puncher's chance
cone
AG
prepare your anus for pastor joe buck and the right side of history sermon re: yuli v. yu

the sanctimony will be off the charts

rich hill is a clown for his post-game comments
gigemJTH12
AG
i need to stay off of social media.

All anyone on the damn bandwagon is talking about is benching Reddick.

seriously, just shut the f*** up.

Hope he ****ing mashes tonight.
JABQ04
AG
I feel as long as we don't give up walks or free bases and no ***** heads names Joc hit a HR were in good shape.
irish pete ag06
AG

There's the hit probability of Marwin's lineout vs Taylor's bloop liner to right field.

The difference in the ball game, in my opinion.
CAR96
AG
I don't post here much but some thoughts:

It's baseball, anything can happen.

It hurts our team to play in a NL park. Especially with Marwin and Reddick struggling right now, it is like a 6 man line up.

Verlander pitched good enough for us to win.

Our at bats early in the game vs the lefty Hill were not good. Pulling the ball to the left side speaks more to a bad approach and the success of the lefty's game plan/pitches were made. Springer had the best approach staying behind the ball the other way and was rewarded for it.

We had our chances, made our opportunities got the guys on base but the team that wins is the one that comes through with men on...they did, we almost did. If Utley is playing a few steps away, Marwin's hit goes in we score. If Altuve hits his more to the 6 hole, we score....hard and beautiful game.
tremble
AG
Had a dream McCullers threw 8 dominant innings. We doing this fam.
JABQ04
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Listen. Get rid of the woe is me bull***** Get rid of the "the moment is too big" bull***** We are entering game 7 of the ****ing World Series. I've been a negative mofo in this thread a lot, but now is not the fkn time. We have a SECOND chance tomorrow to make history and fulfill many of our dreams, mine included, of winning a ****ing World Series.

GTFO with the negativity, GTFO with the woe is me shlt. Gear up and get ****in ready for game 7 of the best game in the world.

We may not come out on top, but God I hope we do. If so, it will be one of the greatest moments of my life and many of yours. If you can't hack it, please stay off this thread.

I'm gonna be here, and I think we will win the whole ****in thing tomorrow. In game 7 of the world ****ing Series.

iBrad
AG
I love our approach. It's hard to argue with an approach that had you atop the power categories while having the fewest strikeouts. Barreling up a baseball (exit velocity of 95+) leads to a hit over 50% of the time, so picking out a pitch you can drive is a great, and somewhat of a common sense, strategy.

However, there are times like Reddick's AB last night where I'd like to see a little more emphasis on contact and not striking out. In most situations, I want him to still try to drive the ball. With the pitcher on deck, he just has to put it in play. It makes me wonder if he truly understood the situation he was in.
Mr.Bond
AG
tremble said:

But who is throwing the 9th?!?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

cone
AG
i won't be surprised with any outcome in this game tbh

line is currently LA -162 but i'm surprised it's that high
MaroonStain
AG
cone said:

i won't be surprised with any outcome in this game tbh

line is currently LA -162 but i'm surprised it's that high

I was surprised to see that number also.
irish pete ag06
AG
Last night's game...

Go look for yourself: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?game_pk=526516&type=exit_velocity&chart_view=pitch&chart_type=sbp&inning=&count=&batter_hand=&pitcher_hand=&filter=

Astros:
  • 24 balls in play
  • Average hit probability was 31.4%
  • 6 balls in play with a greater than 50% hit probability

Dodgers
  • 18 balls in play
  • Average hit probability was 29.9%
  • 2 balls in play with a greater than 50% hit probability.

Even Peterson's homerun only has a 40% hit probability.

This game reminds me of Game 4 at MMP. We barreled up way more balls than the Dodgers and lost. The next game was Game 5, which surely most of you can remember.
Ag_07
AG
Oh I agree 100% and I also love our approach.

I was more just making a broad statement regarding the lack of stick the bat out there and dink and dunk it around a la 2016 Rangers.

Reddick didn't get a decent a pitch to hit did he? IIRC he should've taken the walk. He's scuffling pretty bad right now. Seems every time he swings he's looking straight up at the pitcher and nowhere close to seeing the ball through the zone.
gigemJTH12
AG
Mr.Bond said:

tremble said:

But who is throwing the 9th?!?
Verlander
Ag_07
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Even he didn't think it was going out. Then he goes into some tirade like he just blasted one.

I'm all for a little showmanship as I think it adds some personality into the game and I enjoy seeing guys celebrate, but for me once you hit 1B go into your trot and act like you've been there. The initial reaction caught in the moment stage is over by then.

His whole cash out trot around 2nd and 3rd was a little much.
03_Aggie
Ag_07 said:

Oh I agree 100% and I also love our approach.

I was more just making a broad statement regarding the lack of stick the bat out there and dink and dunk it around a la 2016 Rangers.

Reddick didn't get a decent a pitch to hit did he? IIRC he should've taken the walk. He's scuffling pretty bad right now. Seems every time he swings he's looking straight up at the pitcher and nowhere close to seeing the ball through the zone.

I've noticed that too. Although I've exaggerated it a bit and said he's facing the dugout before the ball crosses the plate.

astros4545
AG
Just performed a Fire In the Hole at In and Out because fook LA
Frok
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Last night's game...

Go look for yourself: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?game_pk=526516&type=exit_velocity&chart_view=pitch&chart_type=sbp&inning=&count=&batter_hand=&pitcher_hand=&filter=

Astros:
  • 24 balls in play
  • Average hit probability was 31.4%
  • 6 balls in play with a greater than 50% hit probability

Dodgers
  • 18 balls in play
  • Average hit probability was 29.9%
  • 2 balls in play with a greater than 50% hit probability.

This game reminds me of Game 4 at MMP. We barreled up way more balls than the Dodgers and lost. The next game was Game 5, which surely most of you can remember.

Neither team hit the ball well last night. The Dodgers were able to scrape out runs where we could not. That was the difference.

Gregersuck actually looked pretty good.
Schrute
So, tonight it's "all arms on deck" for both teams....

Let's say McCullers gets us through 5-6 innings but needs to come out. Who is the first out the BP? Do we trust Morton here? Do we bring in Keuchel next? Peacock?

I'm just hoping we can get to Darvish early. I can see a scenario if he gets them through 5, Kershaw will be the first out the BP for them...
bigbass1170
AG
GAMEDAY. LETS ****ING GO.
rgt99
Man this playoff season has been awesome, this is what it is all about. We have an opportunity to win the World Series. This is a special team, and I got a feeling we are going to see something special from this team, to win our first championship!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 1580 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.