Astros or Rangers: Convince Me

37,371 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr President Elect
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I go for both. When I was growing up in DFW they were in two different leagues and there was no inter league play. We got about 100 or so Rangers games and maybe 40 Astros games. Then when I got to College Station I got both. Then I moved to Houston and was there for the good years and World Series run.

So I go for both.

I vaguely remember Scotts perfect game
Ryan was an Astros pitcher first.
I can recite the Rangers lineup in 1986-88 and probably tell you half of their stats.
Remember that Angels pitcher throwing one in Arlington
Had a chance to go to Rogers game but missed it.
I remember listening to Ryans 5000 strikeout on I 30. I remember the no hitter in Oakland but not the other.
Used to make my dad take me to Arlington to eat at Bobby Vs.
Saw Ryan take a no hitter into the 7th in Arlington. He ran out of gas and gave up a cpuple of runs.
I still have tickets to an Astros playoff game in I think 97 against the Braves but they got swept and the game wasn't played.
Remember Juan Gonzales hitting a home run in the first playoff game against NY. I was listening to it while delivering pizzas in CS.
Went to see Gwynn in Houston his last season but he didn't play. Was disappointed.
Saw Ripkin in Arlington his last season. I think I was at the game he homered but it may have been a different one.
250 million dollar contract.
Saw Clemens pitch his last playoff game.
Heard the Pujos home run on the radio from a park in the Heights. Couldn't handle watching it on TV. Watched game 6 and partied all night.
Own a special collectors edition full size Louisville Slugger 2005 World Series bat with all of the players names engraved. It is in my sons room and was actually a gift from my mom to my wife.
Was on 7th street in Fort Worth for the win over the Rays.
Listened to both two strike two out pitches in my truck outside my house in Vegas. Too nervous to watch on TV.
Wrote a protest letter to the VP of marketing for the Astros against the move to the AL. I actually got a personal response from him. I'm over it now. But I do miss the NL Central and watching the game with the DH and without the DH.

So yea. I go for both.

Mr.Bond
AG
Tine baseball in October
Prosperdick
AG
friscodick said:

friscodick said:

Bump bump...

Time to bump again.
Prosperdick
AG
friscodick said:

Bump baby!!!!
Prosperdick
AG
friscodick said:

friscodick said:

Bump baby!!!!

Never gets old...bump!
Buck Compton
AG
friscodick said:

friscodick said:

friscodick said:

Bump baby!!!!

Never gets old...bump!
Let's wait one more win before rubbing anything in too many faces.

Don't tempt the baseball gods.
Joe West is a fat piece of **** and a waste of oxygen.
Prosperdick
AG
Wasn't implying anything about game 6 but all about game 5.
94chem
agsalaska, great post.

I grew up in Fort Worth. I have literally been a Rangers' fan since birth, as I attended their first ever game in my mother's womb. Some of my earliest memories as a child were sitting on the metal bleachers at Arlington Stadium. I grew up with Jim Sundberg, Fergie Jenkins, Buddy Bell, Larry Parrish, Toby Harrah, Charlie Hough, Ruben Sierra...

That said, I always liked the Astros. I rooted hard for them in '86, and would always try to watch HSE when Nolan was pitching. They were the other Texas team. They were like Canada to Americans - you always root for them unless you're playing them in the gold medal hockey match.

I've lived in Houston 20 years now. I have 6 kids, and it would have been so natural for them to grow up Astros fans. They would be like dad - just the opposite, with the Astros #1 and the Rangers #2. I hate that we have to be so conflicted. I never wanted a rivalry with Houston. In 2005, I wanted Houston to win it. Same thing in the late 90's when they had those great teams. MLB thinks they did everybody a favor by putting both teams in the AL West, but they didn't. I hate that my kids see me rooting so hard against Houston. I've always liked the Astros - the problem is that 19 times per year, they're in the way of my #1 team.

I'm just watching this world series as a baseball fan. My kids don't understand how rare it is for your team to win it all. I don't want to mess up any growing Astros love in them, because nothing ever replaces the love you had for your childhood teams. I'm sorry, but if you're a grown-up and you haven't chosen yet, it's already too late. On the bright side, you'll never have your heart broken either.
NotGibbs
friscodick said:

friscodick said:

friscodick said:

Bump baby!!!!

Never gets old...bump!

One last time this season
Prosperdick
AG
NotGibbs said:

friscodick said:

friscodick said:

friscodick said:

Bump baby!!!!

Never gets old...bump!

One last time this season
You stole my bump!!!!
Prosperdick
AG
friscodick said:

ORIGINAL BUMP!!!!
mike_ags_fan12
As civil as I can be...

You chose poorly
Prosperdick
AG
Lord_TyTy said:

San Antonio native who wants to start following baseball. But I need a team. I'm interested in hearing y'all's arguments. So convince me: Rangers or Astros? Please, openly debate any and all aspects (team, history, fanbase, etc.) Just please remember, it's America's pastime. So keep it civil.
So OP, you still following the Rangers?
DVC2010
AG
The Twist: Grapesoda is TyTy's sock.
gambochaman
AG
fale
Farmer1906
AG
Tyty last posted on the MLB board April 2017. He lasted a handful of games as a Rangers fan before he quit following baseball. I don't blame him either.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Tyty last posted on the MLB board April 2017. He lasted a handful of games as a Rangers fan before he quit following baseball. I don't blame him either.
I meant to search his posting history but got sidetracked. About what I expected from a baseball "fan" asking for which team he should follow.
NotGibbs
Can we get an update on how his choice worked out?
The Milkman
AG
That head to head count is 106-77 now. I think we may see the .500 point a little sooner than the 2030 prediction that was mentioned on this thread.
Prosperdick
AG
Talk about your all-time backfire decisions.
halfastros81
AG
This thread must be some kind of joke.... right?
ATM9000
AG
The franchise defining moments for the Rangers for folks not from DFW:

1. Nolan bearing up Venture
2. Palmeiro Congressional hearings
3. Ron Washington coke scandal
4. Odor punching Joey Bats
tjack16
AG
CampingAg said:

Oh dear. Page one.

Houston fans will bring up: "Arlington Rangers", some form of the word "dbag", and Rougned Odor being mean, and something about bandwagon fans

Ranger fans will bring up: their recent dominance over Houston, their two pennants over the Astros one, Jose Altuve's height, and the fact they play in Houston

In other words, this thread won't get you anywhere in your decision making process.
yikes....
Farmer1906
AG
PacifistAg said:

Ag_07 said:

Ranger fans already talking trade deadline deals and trade bait candidates during ST.
Context, context, context. The discussion was with regards to the "window". Astros fans assume the Rangers' window is closing. Of course, they seem to have been assuming that for years now. I was just explaining why the window isn't closing. Do I think we'll be sellers at the deadline? No. Is it possible? Of course. Anything is possible.

Is that window closed or are you just a player away still?
Prosperdick
AG
ATM9000 said:

The franchise defining moments for the Rangers for folks not from DFW:

1. Nolan bearing up Venture
2. Palmeiro Congressional hearings
3. Ron Washington coke scandal
4. Odor punching Joey Bats
Forgot one:

Unemployed
AG
astros4545 said:

If you are going to start this year,

The Astros are about to begin at least a decade of never before seen dominance

That would be pretty cool to say you were a fan the whole time, rather than rooting for the Rangers for the first couple weeks of the season, then jumping to the Astros bandwagon
This guy got it.
tjack16
AG
mhayden said:

And just for the record in case it helps the OP make a decision:

Over the last 100 years of Major League Baseball, no team has dominated the other like Texas has Houston.

Last 50 years, highest win% versus another team (min 100 games):

5) Atlanta Braves over Colorado Rockies (116-76) - 60.4%
4) Oakland Athletics over Tampa Bay Rays (101-62) - 61.6%
3) St. Louis Cardinals over Arizona Diamondbacks (82-51) - 61.7%
2) Cleveland Indians over Tampa Bay Rays (144-89) - 61.8%
1) Texas Rangers over Houston Astros (95-52) - 64.6%
well y'all just went 0-9 at minute maid park this year .... that's what I call DOMINATION
Prosperdick
AG
tjholley16 said:

mhayden said:

Over the last 100 years of Major League Baseball, no team has dominated the other like Texas has Houston.

well y'all just went 0-9 at minute maid park this year .... that's what I call DOMINATION

No juice for you....come back, one year!
jkag89
free_mhayden said:

Since this post was made
2017 7-12
2018 7-12
2019 6-13
Total 20-37 (35.1%)
Overall Total 115-87 (56.9%) Still in the Rangers favor but I expect the gap is closing far quicker than most Ranger fans ever expected.
Mr President Elect
AG
Wikipedia has the record at 115-90. Maybe the pre 2017 record was slightly inflated.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.