Astros or Rangers: Convince Me

36,976 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr President Elect
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

RetiredAg said:

I think I found an easy way to resolve this for the OP. When someone thinks of the state of Texas and baseball, historically, what player most often comes to mind? I think we could all agree that Nolan Ryan fits that bill.

So, let's just use the Nolan Ryan test. What team did he choose for his HOF plaque?

Nolan Ryan currently "works" for the Astros because the Rangers management drove him out of Arlington.
But, when he had a choice to make, what hat did he go with?
Mr.Bond
AG
Nolan was still pissed at the Astros management at the time of his induction. Houston royally screwed up on his contract etc. He's from the Houston area and no doubt in my mind loves the Astros
Frok
AG
Well.....at least Nolan got to be on a playoff team in Houston.

Just adding this picture because I think it's cool.

MooreTrucker
AG
This image is even cooler...

PacifistAg
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Nolan was still pissed at the Astros management at the time of his induction. Houston royally screwed up on his contract etc. He's from the Houston area and no doubt in my mind loves the Astros
No doubt in my mind he loves both the Astros and Rangers. But he could only pick one hat for his plaque.
Mr.Bond
AG
As said before he picked texas out of spite, not want
PacifistAg
AG
Mr.Bond said:

As said before he picked texas out of spite, not want
If that's what you have to tell yourself, fine. Doesn't matter. Still sporting that 'T'.

Or to tweak the "don't care. Beat Bama" mantra a few years ago...don't care. Went in as a Ranger.
Mr.Bond
3B Paul 97
AG
Are you able to watch both on TV? If so, listen to a couple of broadcasts to see which announcers you can stand listening to for 3 hours. And Julia is better looking than anything the Rangers throw out there.
MooreTrucker
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Are you able to watch both on TV? If so, listen to a couple of broadcasts to see which announcers you can stand listening to for 3 hours. And Julia is better looking than anything the Rangers throw out there.
Julia?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Does anyone really give a **** which team the guy follows? It's a sad trash talk thread and nothing more. All the predictable dbags are here with all their predictable dbag responses.

Watch both teams and pick the one you like. If it's for any other reason than something you come up with on your own, you're doing it wrong.
Sea Gull
AG
Why is anyone responding to this troll?
MooreTrucker
AG
OMG!!! Guys, we're on a message board devoted to MLB but we canNOT talk about baseball. Riffs and DP have said it to be so.
Frok
AG
MooreTrucker said:

This image is even cooler...

I have to admit, that one is cooler.
Lord_TyTy
Duck Patrol said:

Why is anyone responding to this troll?
I'm not a troll lol. I'm genuinely interested in what they have to say
Mr.Bond
AG
You know what...... As a die hard Astros I say go join the Rangers bandwagon. Have fun
PacifistAg
AG
Mr.Bond said:

You know what...... As a die hard Astros I say go join the Rangers bandwagon. Have fun
As a die hard Rangers fan, I will second this message.
Mr.Bond
AG
We don't want/need snowflake fans.... Or spurs fans
MooreTrucker
AG
Funny, it always seems to me that the Astros fans are the snowflakes. Getting triggered so easily when the Rangers are mentioned.
Mr.Bond
AG
We're a blue collar town..... **** like that does the bother us.
ClickClack
AG
Mr.Bond said:

We're a blue collar town.

Not really.
Mr.Bond
AG
Yes really
Gramercy Riffs
AG
MooreTrucker said:

OMG!!! Guys, we're on a message board devoted to MLB but we canNOT talk about baseball. Riffs and DP have said it to be so.
That's not at all what I said.
irish pete ag06
AG
It's as simple as this, if you want to get in on a young team that the core will be around for at least 5 more years and likely more since I think at least 2 of the core will be extended, then jump on with us Astros fans.

If you want to join the team that has had the most recent success, but the window is closing, then join the Rangers.

The trajectories of the 2 teams over the next 5+ years is completely different.
PacifistAg
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Funny, it always seems to me that the Astros fans are the snowflakes. Getting triggered so easily when the Rangers are mentioned.
Aren't they the ones that scream bloody murder any time a Rangers fan ventures over to their thread, to the point that the mods have had to make a special Astros-only policy on that thread?
PacifistAg
AG
ClickClack said:

Mr.Bond said:

We're a blue collar town.

Not really.
As someone that lives in Houston, to call this place "blue collar" is hilarious.
MooreTrucker
AG
Yep. They come to the Rangers thread and piss all over it, but if a Rangers fan does the same thing, they get banned.
PacifistAg
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

It's as simple as this, if you want to get in on a young team that the core will be around for at least 5 more years and likely more since I think at least 2 of the core will be extended, then jump on with us Astros fans.

If you want to join the team that has had the most recent success, but the window is closing, then join the Rangers.

This probably isn't far off, although I think Astros fans underestimate the Rangers FO when it comes to the "window". This year will be key in projecting though. If the Rangers are out of the race by the deadline, they will easily be able to restock real fast. Simply trading Hamels, Yu and Lucroy would bring enough return that that window all of a sudden gets extended big time.
irish pete ag06
AG
RetiredAg said:

irish pete ag06 said:

This probably isn't far off, although I think Astros fans underestimate the Rangers FO when it comes to the "window". This year will be key in projecting though. If the Rangers are out of the race by the deadline, they will easily be able to restock real fast. Simply trading Hamels, Yu and Lucroy would bring enough return that that window all of a sudden gets extended big time.
Not to get into a massive trade discussion here, but Yu and Cole will not bring anywhere near what a Sale type guy brings.

Yu will be a rental.
Cole will not net a massive amount unless the Rangers eat a lot of salary.
Lucroy will get you a decent return (similar to what the Rangers gave up).

Now, if the Rangers are willing to part with some cost controlled talent like Odor or Mazara, then those guys will bring back a massive haul... but that would slam the window shut and be Astros style tanking, amirite?
mhayden
Quote:

Teams with good front offices and hefty payrolls don't have "windows".

This applies to the Astros as well as long as they open up their checkbook. This isn't the NFL or NBA with salary caps -- if you draft competently and spend on free agents competently then you can be successful long-term.

Texas' window supposedly closed after 2011... Yet here they are back-to-back division champions.
PacifistAg
AG
PacifistAg
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

RetiredAg said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Not to get into a massive trade discussion here, but Yu and Cole will not bring anywhere near what a Sale type guy brings.

Yu will be a rental.
Cole will not net a massive amount unless the Rangers eat a lot of salary.
Lucroy will get you a decent return (similar to what the Rangers gave up).

Now, if the Rangers are willing to part with some cost controlled talent like Odor or Mazara, then those guys will bring back a massive haul... but that would slam the window shut and be Astros style tanking, amirite?
They won't bring a Sale-type haul, but let's not underestimate how desperate teams can get at the trade deadline, especially when you have legitimate aces to dangle as trade bait. Yu, Hamels and Lucroy would bring a significant haul that would restock their system.

The point is the Rangers won't need to come close to doing a complete tear down & rebuild. They have enough coveted assets to quickly shift focus from this year to the next 5-8 years. It certainly wouldn't require an Astros-style tanking. This FO has too good of a track record to think that a complete tear down would be necessary.
Ag_07
AG
Ranger fans already talking trade deadline deals and trade bait candidates during ST.
PacifistAg
AG
Ag_07 said:

Ranger fans already talking trade deadline deals and trade bait candidates during ST.
Context, context, context. The discussion was with regards to the "window". Astros fans assume the Rangers' window is closing. Of course, they seem to have been assuming that for years now. I was just explaining why the window isn't closing. Do I think we'll be sellers at the deadline? No. Is it possible? Of course. Anything is possible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.