The Saint Louis Cardinals are under a FBI and Justice department investigation for...

14,156 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jkag89
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
How can it be "hacking" when you use same password?

It's like a coach not changing signals.
I think of it as keeping the spare key under the doormat. If someone uses it to break in, it's still breaking in, but come on, man.

That analogy doesn't work. The Cardinals didn't find the key under a doormat. They had a bunch of keys, had to somehow seek out the house, and then tried them all to see if they unlocked the door. So how did they find the house?
JJxvi
AG
They may not even have already had the right key. It may be that they put together two parts of a different key or had a slightly different key made and luckily hit on one.
BMX Bandit
Ryno: why would one get a new password for a new job? Should they expect old employer to hack into a network of the new employer?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not a big deal? Let's play a game of high stakes poker. You play with your cards face up and I'll play with mine face down. Sound fair to you?
DeangeloVickers
AG
I'm looking forward to the full report until then I don't care....the Astros guy that left not changing his password sounds like an idiot for not doing so and I look forward to knowing which Cardinal front office members knew what....sorry for me not thinking it's too big of a deal based on what's been reported so far

Matheny not knowing anything about it so far IMO is a big deal....until we know what was known its hard to believe and quantify how many "games" this data would have won which is what I care about.
turfman80
AG
You may not think its a big deal, but I believe MLB is going to treat this as a VERY BIG DEAL.
COOL LASER FALCON
My point is that it doesn't make what the Cardinals did any better. They're still stealing information.

But, if someone can guess your password, you're not completely innocent either.
AggieJ2002
AG
Actually you are completely innocent. You may be ignorant but you are certainly not at fault.

I should be able to leave my house door unlocked without having someone rob me. Leaving the door unlocked would make me ignorant to the realities of the world today, but I am certainly innocent if some lowlife (insert Cardinals here) goes into my house and robs me.
COOL LASER FALCON
Maybe foolish is the word
BMX Bandit
Ryno: it's pretty clear you don't understand what occurred. It wasn't just a matter of him not changing his password.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Thats the problem no one knows exactly what has occurred yet....the FBI and organizations are on lockdown

And when more facts come up I could change my mind but right now
Can an entire organization be responsible for rogue employees?
If the GM and and coach knew I say bring the hammer (doesn't seem likely that we would find out even if true)
If the southeastern rookie league scout did this then who cares
Agnzona
What is truly amazing is this story is almost two years old and nobody talked until now.......
BMX Bandit
There are two issues here. First, a baseball punishment. Yes, the cards will get punished even if it was a rogue low level employee. And they should.

Second is the criminal matter. Someone may end up being arrested. This wasn't just using an old password.

You are right. We don't know what exactly happened. But we know what's alleged. And to put any culpability on Luhnow for not using a new password is ignoring what allegedly occurred.
AustinAg2K
The Cardinals need to fire their own IT guy. A Cardinal employee should have never been able to get Ludhow's password. They should be encrypted so that even your own employees can't get them, otherwise you could have Joe IT login as the owner and do whatever he wants.
. . .
Astros GM Jeff Luhnow speaks out about hacking scandal
mhayden
Interested to see the details on it... Someone who has worked in a front office may know better than I, but if I had to guess I'd say it's unlikely there was a lot of "hacking" in the sense of connecting to the Astros' system and rummaging through things.

There is probably a fairly popular application/database/software that is used somewhat league-wide by many of the teams (something like Sydex Sports but much more advanced).

Like anything these days, its probably all done in the cloud and you have a login and password to access your account/info, and the usernames for GMs/scouts/etc... all pretty standardized. Couple of guys in room were playing around and thought "hey lets see if [old employee] was still using his same password"... Turns out he was and they had access to all of the data and decided to use/steal it.

I could be way off base with that, but I think that's a lot more likely than some kind of legitimate hacking going on.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Jeff Luhnow, amid an FBI hacking investigation, has denied that he continued to use the same passwords after he left the St. Louis Cardinals to become the general manager of the Houston Astros after the 2011 season."That's absolutely false," Luhnow told SI.com on Wednesday.

"I absolutely know about password hygiene and best practices. I'm certainly aware of how important passwords are, as well as of the importance of keeping them updated. A lot of my job in baseball, as it was in high-tech, is to make sure that intellectual property is protected. I take that seriously and hold myself and those who work for me to a very high standard."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13105463/jeff-luhnow-denies-using-old-passwords-left-st-louis-cardinals-houston-astros
mid90
AG

PoppaB05
AG
Those of you saying it's no big deal are being willfully ignorant.

Having family members and friends who worked in the FBI and US District attorney's office I guarantee that they wouldn't be working on a case where some low level employees used an old password to log in and basically just look at the stuff. If the feds are involved it means the activity was more than just "using old passwords" and that the use was ongoing for awhile. This is pretty serious. We will see, probably relatively soon, what happened because if the news has released the FBI is pretty much done investigating.
Basketball and Chain
AG
More info from Evan Drellich:

Per baseball's constitution, the commissioner can issue punitive action for each offense that is deemed by the commissioner not to be in the best interests of baseball. Those punishments can include a reprimand; barring a club from major league meetings; suspension or removal of any team owner, officer or employee; temporary or permanent ineligibility of a player; a fine that can't exceed $2,000,000 in the case of a club as offender, and no more than $500,000 in the case of an owner, officer or employee as offender; loss of the benefit of any or all major league rules, including amateur draft or Rule 5 draft picks: and other unspecified actions as the commissioner sees fit.

Also, new reports are saying there was a third breach as far back as 2012, and that the attorney the Cardinals hired is saying the scandal doesn't reach the Cardinals top brass.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2015/06/18/commissioner-not-civil-courts-would-give-astros-damages/

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/06/latest-on-federal-investigation-of-cardinals.html
RGV AG
AG
I grew up with Jeff Luhnow, hung out with his younger brother David and him a bunch. To this day I am still shocked he is a Baseball GM, he and his family are very nice people. I haven't seen him in 20 years, but would like to catch up with him at some point. I do know Jeff is extremely intelligent and I doubt he had a big password error.
dreyOO
damn, that's interesting. Did he have any in's to the industry, or do you think he just hustled and was opportunistic?
iBrad
AG
He had a business relationship with the Cardinals owner who hired him to bring a more analytical approach to their system.
RGV AG
AG
quote:
damn, that's interesting. Did he have any in's to the industry, or do you think he just hustled and was opportunistic?
Drey:

If I am not mistaken Jeff's dad, and there were 3 brothers all good guys, was a big wig with one of the world wide Ad agencies and he was in charge of Mexico. Jeff's younger brother that was my age is the WSJ representative in Mexico City, with I think purview over LatAm, no small gig.

They were very well educated and nice people. I sent a card when they lost their mom to Cancer several years back. The older brother was the really good athlete, but Jeff was always really, really smart.

One note, Jeff came very, very close to getting involved in fledgling business in the early 90's with some guys that were his age from Mexico (we grew up in Mexico City). For some reason he didn't, but if he would have he would have been incredibly wealthy. The guys that started the business hit a big time HR.

Jeff and all his brothers were always big sports fans, I know they preferred baseball and I know we played many times in both pick up and organized games.

I will always be indebted to Jeff as he lent me his copy of Boston's first album, circa 77'-78, when it was mother goose to find in Mexico.
dreyOO
Interesting. Sounds like a worldly dude which has got to really pay dividends as well in that position.

Tks
Ryan34
AG
St Louis fires its Director of Scouting. So much for it being "low level employees."

mid90
AG
quote:
St Louis fires its Director of Scouting. So much for it being "low level employees."
Houston Summit
AG
quote:
Basketball and Chain
AG
Yeah that's pretty damn high up the chain
Ryan34
AG
quote:
In a prepared statement, Correa lawyer Nicholas Williams wrote, "Mr. Correa denies any illegal conduct. The relevant inquiry should be what information did former St. Louis Cardinals employees steal from the St. Louis Cardinals organization prior to joining the Houston Astros, and who in the Houston Astros organization authorized, consented to, or benefitted from that roguish behavior."

Correa has admitted hacking into a Houston Astros database but said it was only to verify whether the Astros had stolen proprietary data, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation.

Correa did not leak any Astros data, and is not responsible for additional hacks that the FBI has alleged occurred or leaking any data, said the source
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-fire-scouting-director/article_b529088f-70c3-51c5-bab2-106afa1d2a12.html
W
AG
so Correa is going with the "counter-hacking defense" --- I was just checking to see what the astros had hacked
Agnzona
Yea the I just broke into their business to see what of my stuff they stole defense, lol if any one buys that.
Ryan34
AG
Don't have the link anymore, but supposedly the feds recommended charges against at least one employee but no names have been released yet.
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
so Correa is going with the "counter-hacking defense" --- I was just checking to see what the astros had hacked

Only lawyers think that the "my client isn't guilty of anything. You are guilty of not preventing him from trying to steal from you because you were negligent."

It is why I facking HATE lawyers.
agracer
AG
quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but dont the Feds have over a 95% conviction rate? Basically they don't release info that they're investigating someone until they've got all the proof in hand?
I think the 95% conviction rate is when they bring it to trial, not just start an investigation.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.