The Saint Louis Cardinals are under a FBI and Justice department investigation for...

14,089 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jkag89
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chris Correa pleading guilty to hacking
iBrad
AG
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-must-hammer-st--louis-beyond-its-checkbook-for-hacking-astros-005253782.html
Bunk Moreland
Yeah the cards need to be punished badly for this one
W
AG
is it time to retire the phrase "the Cardinal Way?"

it's been disgraced beyond measure
Basketball and Chain
AG
Reviewed draft rankings, trade talk notes, scouting reports, international notes, etc

Thats unbelievable. MLB better drop the ****ing hammer. "Cardinal Way" will now be a punch line.
The Anchor
AG
Wow
titanmaster_race
So....is this still a thing?
BobOliver2006
AG
it damn well better be
The Anchor
AG
http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Ex-Cardinals-executive-Christopher-Correa-gets-8384863.php
mwm
Hacking a sports team's computer system nets a guy 4 years & $280K in fines. Keeping a country's highly classified data on an unprotected server yields nothing at all - not even a slap on the wrist. We are screwed up.
The Anchor
AG
I wonder what the actual dollar amount of damage this caused to the Astros/MLB.
Ag_07
AG
quote:

Reports are its in the $15-20M range.

It was estimated at $1.5M back when they thought he breached it 5 times, but in the sentencing it was revealed he breached it 60 times putting the total cost to the Astros at about $15M.
mwm
I say we take Wacha & call it even.
The Anchor
AG
quote:
quote:

Reports are its in the $15-20M range.

It was estimated at $1.5M back when they thought he breached it 5 times, but in the sentencing it was revealed he breached it 60 times putting the total cost to the Astros at about $15M.

I presume you mean millions.

$15,000,000-$20,000,000 is certainly worth jail time.
Ag_07
AG
Yes...That's what the M means.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Worth jail time, and given it's federal, he'll do basically the whole stretch. But damn, things are upside down when this gets 4 years while putting our govt in positon to be hacked by russkies and chinamen gets nothing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Btw, M is thousands to those in finance. MIllions is MM.
The Anchor
AG
quote:
Yes...That's what the M means.

M stands for 1,000
Ag_07
AG
Well for non nerds and normal folks K stands for 1,000 and M stands for 1,000,000
DannyDuberstein
AG
You mean the lower 90%
JJxvi
AG
For some reason the penny counters and chicken scratchers (upper 10% ha!) all love their roman numeral M's on the books.
. . .
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/As-MLB-ruling-nears-new-details-of-Cardinals-10891605.php
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Dang it. Not subscribing to the chronicle to read that...
Ag_07
AG
Click the link
Copy the article title
Paste the title into google
Click on the first search result
Profit

You're welcome bud!
rosco511
AG
Wow, he stole a lot of information and had access to at least 5 email accounts and tried getting access to others.
titanmaster_race
Wow. **** this guy. So much more than guessing one person's password.

Quote:

Correa intruded again the day before the June draft, revisiting the Astros' preferentially ranked list of draft prospects and also viewing the Astros' page for the Cardinals, their main scouting page and their notes as it related to trade discussions with the Cardinals.

On the third and final day of the draft, Correa filtered through the Astros' rankings of still-available players and reports on two players in particular: Washington State third baseman Adam Nelubowich, whom the Astros drafted in the 18th round, and University of Texas second baseman Erich Weiss, whom the Pittsburgh Pirates took in the 11th round.

The document also shows Correa before the draft accessed private medical records the Astros had collected for Gonzales and two first basemen whom the Astros later drafted, Conrad Gregor (fourth round) and Chase McDonald (12th round).
titanmaster_race
And he accessed private medical records too. That's a whole different ballgame than just looking at evaluations and trade notes.

This guy needs a long time in prison, and the league better bend the Cardinals over the barrel big time.
BMX Bandit
Ag_07
AG
I'll take that!!

Honesty it's more than I thought would happen. I didn't expect us t get anything. Figured they would just forfeit the picks, but good to see they're going to us.
irish pete ag06
AG
In the CBA, $2 million is the most a team can be fined, so that's essentially a max fine.
jkag89
Love the fact that MLB did not just exact a punishment but gave all the benefit to the team harmed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.