The Saint Louis Cardinals are under a FBI and Justice department investigation for...

14,117 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jkag89
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
obtaining unauthorized access to the Astros computer system.

quote:
"Major League Baseball has been aware of and has fully cooperated with the federal investigation into the illegal breach of the Astros' baseball operations database," the league said in a statement. "Once the investigative process has been completed by federal law enforcement officials, we will evaluate the next steps and will make decisions promptly."The bureau, according to a report in The New York Times, has discovered evidence that Cardinals employees broke into an Astros network that contained databases, internal discussions of trades and scouting reports."The Houston Astros are actively cooperating with an ongoing federal investigation. We cannot comment on this matter," the Astros said in a statement.The Cardinals issued the following statement: "The St. Louis Cardinals are aware of the investigation into the security breach of the Houston Astros' database. The team has fully cooperated with the investigation and will continue to do so. Given that this is an ongoing federal investigation, it is not appropriate for us to comment further."
http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/130965874/mlb-comments-on-astros-computer-breach
Little Rock Ag
AG
And apparently it was because the password was the same as the one used while the GM was in St. Louis. Gee whiz...
TXAggie2011
AG
Wow. That is crazy.
MSFC Aggie
AG
W
AG
generally speaking nothing sticks to the Cardinals.

we'll see what happens
Know Your Enemy
AG
Burn those cheating bastages to the ground.
Chuck Gay
AG
I am having trouble thinking of what potential punishments may be for the Cardinals but I imagine it will be significant.
Agnzona
I an having trouble wondering what they wanted tu see.
aggiedata
AG
Houston Summit
AG
quote:

512Ag
AG
quote:
It seems like the Cardinals undertook this measure less out of a desire to grab a competitive advantage and more out of a desire to embarrass an employee who decided to leave the organization. The Times says law enforcement officials believe the attack was perpetrated by "vengeful" employees looking to "wreak havoc" on Luhnow.
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/16/8789501/cardinals-astros-hacking-stupid-jeff-luhnow-fbi

FBI: Why did you hack into the Astros' network?
Cardinals: For spite.

Chuck Gay
AG
They hacked into the intellectual property (i.e. scouting info, trade discussions and info) of an organization making great strides in its rebuild. The info they stole and gained knowledge of certainly could have had done great damage and impacted the Astros rebuild and benefitted the Cardinals. I'm certain that some have a desire and incentive to minimize what the Cardinals did but it is a really big deal to understand a competitor's thoughts and plans.
mid90
AG

CrawlingNo5
AG
BobOliver2006
AG
no choice here but the death penalty. make them the SMU of MLB.
AgsWin2011
AG
Have them forfeit the season! I hate the Cardinals! And yes, I still have heartache over the 2011 World Series!
mm98
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong but dont the Feds have over a 95% conviction rate? Basically they don't release info that they're investigating someone until they've got all the proof in hand?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I think that this is a very serious matter. We're maybe talking jail time for those directly involved.

As for the organization, what do you think could seriously happen to them? Firings for sure. Maybe banishment from baseball for some?

But what about the club? Fines and loss of draft picks seem to be for more minor offenses. This is unprecedented in sports. Corporate espionage against another team. How do you punish something that monumental?
Frok
AG
Give us Wacha and we'll consider it settled.
alvtimes
The Patriots of MLB!!!!
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
It seems like the Cardinals undertook this measure less out of a desire to grab a competitive advantage and more out of a desire to embarrass an employee who decided to leave the organization. The Times says law enforcement officials believe the attack was perpetrated by "vengeful" employees looking to "wreak havoc" on Luhnow.
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/16/8789501/cardinals-astros-hacking-stupid-jeff-luhnow-fbi

FBI: Why did you hack into the Astros' network?
Cardinals: For spite.

Why would they hold a grudge. It's not like he took the same job. He got a big promotion to GM.
Squirrel Master
AG
Saw something about how the rules of MLB limit the amount the league can fine a team to $2M, and that the CBA prevents them from taking draft picks away. I'm betting that several front office people get banned from baseball, including some who don't get prosecuted by Feds but are deemed culpable by the league, but it almost seems like the punishments will not be that severe, atleast to the visible eye of the fans of the game.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Saw something about how the rules of MLB limit the amount the league can fine a team to $2M, and that the CBA prevents them from taking draft picks away. I'm betting that several front office people get banned from baseball, including some who don't get prosecuted by Feds but are deemed culpable by the league, but it almost seems like the punishments will not be that severe, atleast to the visible eye of the fans of the game.

What about postseason bans or bans on international spending? I'm sure MLB would get creative to make it hurt if it goes high enough up the food chain.
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
What about postseason bans or bans on international spending?

I didn't see those things mentioned specifically, but I'd be amazed if the CBA allows a postseason ban given that players had nothing to do with it. The union would go super ape****. And I'm guessing for the same reason that the CBA prevents taking draft picks that it would prevent punishing international bonus pool, but that's possible.
Basketball and Chain
AG
NFLPA needs to take notes from the MLBPA, if that's the case.
512Ag
AG
quote:
Why would they hold a grudge. It's not like he took the same job. He got a big promotion to GM.
Because people get butthurt over other people moving on. It's just the way it is. Whether it was someone higher up or just some peon within the organization, I think there's more of a chance it's just sour grapes than anything else. Of course, what remains to be seen is whether they attempted to hack any other teams' databases but could only get into the Astros' system because of the password. If there's evidence of more attempted hacking then this is a really big deal rather than just a big deal.
Chuck Gay
AG
The Astros were damaged by their intellectual property and strategy being stolen directly by the Cardinals. Of course, the league will likely punish the Cardinals, but there is a seperate and strong claim by the Houston Astros organization that they were directly damaged by the St. Louis Cardinals organization stealing the strategies of the Astros. The fact that St. Louis knew what the Astros thoughts were influenced decisions that St. Louis and Houston made and that was the start of a domino effect around the league of transactions that did or did not get made impacting the future of the Astros. The Cardinals are going to directly owe the Astros something significant regardless of the punishment that MLB has for the Cardinals. I'd imagine MLB will be involved in some negotiations between the two clubs to settle this because they probably want to avoid a civil suit by the Astros against the Cardinals in addition to the criminal investigation now going on by the FBI.
W
AG
it's hilarious how the media is covering this...like I predicted.

so many pundits say and write..."it must have been low-level employees" and "DeWitt is the greatest executive in baseball" and so forth. Going out of their way to protect top management and the "Cardinal Way."

c'mon...St. Louis is no better than any other MLB franchise
DeangeloVickers
AG
How can it be "hacking" when you use same password?

It's like a coach not changing signals.
mid90
AG
quote:

"Hacking" may not be the most appropriate word, but it's certainly not like a coach not changing signals.

Coaches giving signals are very visible, and it takes almost no effort to see a coach giving signals. The cardinals had to go out of their way to try to log on to a system that was not theirs. That's not something you just happen upon.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:

Passan also notes that, per his source, "the breach involved more than taking old passwords" from Luhnow "and inputting them into a website." Indeed, there were initially concerns in the league office that more information might ultimately be made public than has been revealed to date.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/06/cardinals-under-fbi-investigation-for-hacking-astros.html
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:

I think of it as keeping the spare key under the doormat. If someone uses it to break in, it's still breaking in, but come on, man.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Great analogy and I agree, but I think it's over blown....Ive gotta think the Cardinals database has pretty much the same data. How many secrets can there be that make that big of a difference?

I'll be interested to hear the whole story. I mean not changing your password is leaving job 101.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Great analogy and I agree, but I think it's over blown....Ive gotta think the Cardinals database has pretty much the same data. How many secrets can there be that make that big of a difference?

I'll be interested to hear the whole story. I mean not changing your password is leaving job 101.

I doubt Cardinals insiders have the same exact trade discussions with other teams as the Astros. I doubt they discussed the same players. I doubt they valued other players in the league the same.

I doubt the Cardinals scouting department had the same exact comments and observations as the Astros'.

To me, it's a huge deal. The Cardinals gained access to every bit of Intel the Astros had on every player/team in the league.

Like someone else pointed out, it's something that could've inevitably affected how transactions played out league wide over multiple years, when you start talking about trades, free agency, rule 5 drafts.
JJxvi
AG
Also, Luhnow is not the only person with the Astros that was formerly with the Cardinals. Sig Mejdal, Mike Elias, Oz Ocampo are all higher level baseball ops people that came from St Louis.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.