Cubs thread v2.0

579,028 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by 10andBOUNCE
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have no problem giving anyone the green light to steal. If Sveum called for the steal in that situation I would be pissed off.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Are you really using ST stats?

Yes, because Russell has some and they were pretty decent and Wood didn't, like Theo is saying he hardly played. Also, LaRoche, like most lefties, has a BA of 30 pts lower against lefties. Russell sucks as a starter, but he was a pretty good reliever last year. 2.19 ERA in 59 games in 2011, since you hate Spring Training so much. His ERA got blown up in his misguided role as a starter.

Anyway, you win. I guess these things must be blindly obvious. I get that it's one game, but I'm not sure why you're so blindly against questioning that inning.

That steal was pretty nuts, but really in the whole game I thought the calls went against us (Wood was getting squeezed on 2 ABs, and Byrd was called out looking on a similar borderline pitch the last AB). I think the throw beat Fonzi so he was called out, but I think he was in ahead of the tag. It was encouraging that Soriano tried to steal anything, though it was beyond "aggressive" to go there. In the presser, Sveum said "we thought it was time to make something happen". I don't know if that meant that was his call or not, or if that was part of a manager protecting a player. Bob Brenly thought Soriano "saw something" and went on his own.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 4/6/2012 10:09a).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm not sure why you think I'm "blindly against questioning that inning."
Lance Uppercut
AG
I really don't care. But if you like the "Go Cubs Go" song, then we have a real problem.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I love it.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Well ****
bluestainedivy
Dang, we're already at this after one game!?!

Let's not be like astro fans.
AgShaun00
Lance Uppercut
AG
Astros fans still post on this board?
10andBOUNCE
AG
the Astros still have a team?
WhataMaroon88
AG
I think they do, but I heard they were moving to Jupiter next season.
WhataMaroon88
AG
Here's an off day question: What rival do you hate the most?

I've always had trouble hating the Cardinals. Never had a single incident with a fan and top notch, well informed people.

I can't stand White Sox fans. Scum.
Astros fans are a mix, but they used to have this chip on their shoulder because Cubs fans are everywhere.

What do you guys think?

[This message has been edited by WhataMaroon88 (edited 4/6/2012 6:30p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
1a) Cardinals
1b) White Sox

I only started to hate the Astros after moving to Texas.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I remember a "least favorite team" thread on this board, and some guy answered with "Padres" and confused the hell out of everyone.

Gio Gonzalez on the mound tomorrow for the Nats against Garza for the Cubs. I have a good amount of faith in Garza, but Gio is coming off two seasons w/ ERAs of 3.23 and 3.12 with almost 200 Ks (and an AS game) last season having been in the AL West. It will be see interesting to see the 2 sides adjust to each other, but hopefully the Cubs strike first. This is a tough 1-2 for the first 2 games of the year.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 4/6/2012 9:35p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
I remember a "least favorite team" thread on this board, and some guy answered with "Padres" and confused the hell out of everyone.

Could have been a fan of the '84 Cubs. I still hate Steve Garvey for that series.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Talk about shaking up the lineup. Cubs jumped on gio in the 4th and Castro stole 2nd and 3rd. Sveum likes to make stuff happen on the base paths. Lahair made the lineup as a ph.
WhataMaroon88
AG
Welp, same ol bullpen. I'm about ready to call it quits on Marmol.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Good job Dale, leave your only lefty in the pen on the bench while Kerry serves it up again.

Why in the world is Russell not in the game to face LaRoche?
Know Your Enemy
AG
It's going to be a long season, boys.
Lance Uppercut
AG

Kerry Wood and Marmol share an ERA of 27.00. Everyone who is not Wood or Marmol from the pen has an ERA of 0.00

Lance Uppercut
AG
Bad news: Hendry has us attached to Marmol for another year at 9.6 million after this one.

Lots of buzz about Byrd being traded. One of the rumors is that he would go to the Nationals, and he was very "friendly" and receptive about that possibility to the media this week. Seems like he really does have a good relationship with that team and is playing nice because he can foresee the inevitable.

...not that Byrd is a huge loss, but just in case there was anyone left wondering if this was a total rebuilding stage. That's why I said I think I pity Sveum more than anything. An offense filled with relative no-names (minus Soriano and 1.5 good years of Castro, and he isn't the model of consistency), and the two people that get paid to be good in the bullpen showing that they aren't ready to start the season (like Marmol wasn't for the majority of the previous season).

The starting rotation has 2 strong starters...and Garza and Dempster already had their 2 starts squandered. The rest of the rotation is Maholm, Volstad, and Samardzija. Maholm has been decent, but Samardzija has never gotten his stuff under control for years, and Volstad hasn't had a full season where his ERA has been under 4.5. And, if we're to believe the internet, the team is still looking for ways to trade Garza.

Anyway, Samardzija is apparently #3 in our rotation, and will be facing Zimmermann. Zimmermann has been far from brilliant against the Cubs, but it will also be interesting to see what we get from Shark as a starter.

Know Your Enemy
AG
This being a rebuilding job is one of the reasons I didn't want Sandberg. He was one of my favorite players as a kid. If and when he becomes manager of the Cubs I want him to have a legitimate chance to succeed.
Lance Uppercut
AG

It wasn't easy. Castro made an error that cost Shark a complete game. He was really bringing it today, throwing 97 in the 9th.

Marmol came in again for he last out, but gave up a walk first. What a frustrating player.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Shark
Lance Uppercut
AG
As mentioned, Marmol came out and walked a guy in a 1 run game before getting the one out he needed for the save. Bob seemed pretty concerned about his mechanics still, saying he was still inconsistent in a way that reminded him of last year.

Cubs/Brewers tomorrow. Pitching matchup would seem to favor the Crew in Shaun Marcum vs. Chris Volstad. Volstad is what we got in return for Zambrano from the Marlins. His ERA has floated around 4.5 the past couple of years, so hopefully they work he's supposed to have done with Sutcliffe plus the change of scenery pays dividends.
bluestainedivy
I'd like to see DeJesus start to pick it up. He's batting .143 and in the leadoff spot. That's after a .220 spring. I'd like to see him do well.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Nyjer Morgan is a dewsher.
Lance Uppercut
AG
The Origin of Solo Homers
Know Your Enemy
AG
LaHair crushed that pitch onto Sheffield.
Know Your Enemy
AG
2 bombs for Rizzo at Iowa tonight.
diehard03
sigh. weak at-bat for Castro.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Fake rally.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Random Cubs related fact: I was at this game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN198706220.shtml
Know Your Enemy
AG
Apparently Garza was dealing today. 8 2/3 of shutout baseball as the good guys win 8-0.
Lance Uppercut
AG
2 straight good starts from Dempster and Garza. Hopefully Shark can make it 2 good ones in a row today. Up against the Cards, though. I may not be optimistic about it...but we could make up some ground this weekend.

Also wonder how long it would take to have Wells up from AAA to take over for a struggling starter.
First Page Last Page
Page 28 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.