Cubs thread v2.0

573,243 Views | 6317 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 10andBOUNCE
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought there had to have been some meaning behind that pitch, but I noticed the same thing
BobOliver2006
AG
the original thread works perfectly on the mobile site.
http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/53/Topics/515328
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
the original thread works perfectly on the mobile site.
http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/53/Topics/515328

Not for me it doesn't.
bluestainedivy
So the word is that ARam was joking that he was going to bunt his first time up and that Dempster said that he wanted to pitch him inside to give ARam something hard to hit and that the ball "got away". I'm not buying it 100%. I know both guys know how to play the PR game.

Anyone else worried about Marmol. I just don't see him finishing the year as our closer, and I'm wondering if he'll start it as closer.

It'll also be interesting to see how far along Soriano's hot bat takes him.
HoosierAggie13
AG
Glad to see Volstad and Samardzija pitching well id like to see them at the back end of the rotation to start the season
10andBOUNCE
AG
Marmol is a disaster right now. I'm not expecting a lot from him.

Really like how Volstad and Shark have done well this summer - I agree on them being the back end of the rotation guys. We'll see who takes the other spot between Wells and Maholm.
BobOliver2006
AG
Maholm is already in at #3

Travis Wood is there behind Wells at the back of the pack... and Rodrigo Lopez is somewhere in there too.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I can't get that old thread to loan anymore, even on my phone.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Me too - wish we coulda kept that guy going so we can make a push for TexAgs most viewed threads.

Who is taking off to catch the opener tomorrow? Being eastern time finally pays off since the game doesn't start til 2:20 - gonna head out of the office around 2!
Know Your Enemy
AG
I usually do, but I will be working late again tomorrow. Heading out of town early Friday afternoon.
BobOliver2006
AG
to view the original thread on the computer (at least with Internet Explorer), you can click down in the bottom right corner of the site and click "mobile version" and access it thru the mobile version of the forum. that's what works for me.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Opening Day! Game face on!
Know Your Enemy
AG
LET'S DO THIS!!!!!
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
to view the original thread on the computer (at least with Internet Explorer), you can click down in the bottom right corner of the site and click "mobile version" and access it thru the mobile version of the forum. that's what works for me.

That didn't work for me.
bluestainedivy
You gotta try and log on when nobody else is in the office

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFtb3EtjEic
AgShaun00
AG
finally got in as I couldn't for a few weeks. I think they (staff) is purposely killing our threads.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Helluva performance from Dempster today. Woody making it interesting in the top of the 8th.
Know Your Enemy
AG
$#@%^!$^!@%@#$^%&*!@( WOODY!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Well that was a very Cub way to lose a game.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Wood had strike 3 for the third out before they ever got runs. However, Byrd is called out on another borderline pitch to end the game. I really hate umpires.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Remember how Sveum was the guy because Hoyer and Epstein knew that he needed managerial experience to get the job?

I wonder if Sandberg, with his 12 less games of experience, would have realized Dempster was dealing and showed no signs of fatigue, and was one batter away from a guy he'd struck out 3 times already. Or that following what we'd seen from Marmol last year, and in the spring, that tie games weren't the best time to see if he could get a guy out that you cut 2 years ago.

Yes, more of this to follow.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Oh, boy. Don't make me not want to read this thread anymore.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I know you're among the brainwashed that Sveum can do no wrong because Epstein and his numbers picked him out.

Bad call by Skip today, unless Dempster let him know he needed out. I call em' like I see em'...and Sveum over Sandberg is stupid until I've seen otherwise.
Lance Uppercut
AG
...though I don't blame him for having the team he has to work with. The majority of our losses this year will have more to do with the personnel than any manager we could have hired. And if Dempster was gassed, I take it all back, I just haven't seen mention of it yet.

Also we don't have to face Strasburg much again this season....hopefully never again.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 4/5/2012 6:25p).]
10andBOUNCE
AG
I thought today was poorly managed, of course that comes with limited game knowledge
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
I know you're among the brainwashed that Sveum can do no wrong because Epstein and his numbers picked him out.

Slow down, Skippy. Sveum was not my choice for manager. I wanted Mike Maddux. But Theo Epstein, you know the guy that won two World Series in Boston, decided that Sveum was the best man for the job so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially one ****ing game into the season. You're the one who has deified Ryno and have convinced yourself that he would have been perfect as Cubs manager. I watched the game today and I didn't disagree with Dale taking Dempster out when he did. It's easy to say now that it was the wrong move but that's only because Woody and Marmol couldn't do their job. They take care of business and no one questions Sveum. Wouldn't have hurt for the offense to put up more than 2 runs, either.

Go ahead and question the manager all you want, but if you're going to bring Sandberg up every time you disagree with a decision it's going to get old before we get a week into the season.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Cub, Esq. (edited 4/5/2012 8:44p).]
Lance Uppercut
AG
I won't have to. The current vote is 2-1 on if Sveum botched his choices today. If everyone "did their job", we wouldn't need managers. I think Wood got squeezed first of all, but then he didn't put a lefty on LaRoche after the walk and if Dempster didn't say he was gassed (maybe he did), it's not hindsight, it's completely obvious. There were plenty of reasons to question today's moves if you aren't worshiping at the Epstein altar.

Most importantly, I think Hendry had lost it and Quade was terrible and anyone would be an improvement over those 2. I don't plan on bringing up Sandberg (much), as the evidence to support either as better than the other is years away at best. But today Sveum made bad decisions, and this thread has never been shy about calling out the manager and I won't start now just because Epstein managed to spend the 2nd highest payroll to win a World Series. You also know I'm not quick to jump on coaches or turn pessimistic, so I'm not spouting nonsense as some kind of agenda, wanting the Cubs/Eps/Sveum to fail for the sake of a "an I told you say" to a thread of 3-4 people .

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 4/5/2012 10:44p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
I never said don't question Sveum. I just don't want to read the "Ryno wouldn't have made that mistake" or "Sandberg would have this team winning more" bull**** every ****ing day. All it is is pure speculation. The guy has proven zero at the major league level so we have no idea what he would be like as our manager. I realize that he's human and will make mistakes, but Theo did what no one else could do for 80+ years in Boston. Go ahead and call me a fan boy but until proven otherwise I have faith that he will take us to where we've all been dying to go our entire lives.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Do you realize that we have one lefty in the pen? And that is James Russell.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Did you know James Russell, as a lefty, pitches with his left hand, and that in 5 more innings of work in the spring, he had an ERA that was lower than Wood's by 4 entire points and a BAA that was lower by .122?

Lance Uppercut
AG
But seriously, it's one game and hopefully Sveum wins every other one he ever manages as a Cub.
AgShaun00
AG
are we on the general board. I am glad I didn't get to watch the game.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Are you really using ST stats?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Out of curiousity, I went back to the game thread on NSBB to see what they had to say about the Dempster situation. It starts at the bottom of the linked page and continues on. Several people seemed to think that he shouldn't have even come out for the 8th and no one argued that he should have been left in when Sveum pulled him. Furthermore, I think I saw one guy calling for Russell (or Dolis). If you want to fault Sveum for anything in that inning it's for not getting someone else up quicker when Woody was struggling.

http://northsidebaseball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60710&start=325
10andBOUNCE
AG
My main beef with yesterday was the fact Wood had what, 5 innings of work all spring? I would have preferred his first inning of work not come in the 8th inning with a 1 run lead to say the least. A guy like Dolis who dominated all spring and had a lot more work would have been my choice, or Russell. I know Woody is the ultimate pro and I love him as much as anyone, but he clearly isn't sharp yet.

Giving Soriano the green light to steal? Please tell me that is not true.

Jeff Baker's inexperience at 1B really proved to be the difference IMO. If we have a competent guy over there, he doesn't let it go through and Dempster is out of the inning. Not sure if we have anyone besides LaHair, however.

First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.