Cubs fans- a little personnel news

964,330 Views | 12512 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BobOliver2006
bluestainedivy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EAMUS CATULI

[This message has been edited by bluestainedivy (edited 8/9/2009 3:04p).]
Old Style
Cubs picked up the options on Scott Williamson and Todd Walker. They took the buyout on Jeromy Burnitz.
AgRyan04
I'm glad they didn't keep Burnitz....just too much money.

Keeping Walker is interesting. If we end up with Furcal this really hinder's Cedeno's playing time.

Regardless, I really like Todd in the 2-hole, he hits behind runners very well, hits for a solid average, and has some occasional pop.

Williamson has great SO ratios but didn't pitch all that great. He only had 14 or 15 innings though which isn't really a great sample size.

also, there is a pretty good interview with Matt Murton up at Cubs.com. I love that kid.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check out "Texas A&M & Baseball In No Particular Order"
at tamu-and-baseball.com
bluestainedivy
We also re-signed Glendon Rusch. that should also make things interesting. I know that he was talking about wanting to be a starter this year.

I read a tribune article today talking about our roster. We have three short-stops (Neifi, Nomar and Cedeno) and three second basemen (Walker, Hairston and Cedeno) but no outfielders. I don't know why he didn't mention Murton. Having Furcal would certainly crowd things although he might give a presence on the basepaths.
BMX Bandit
i heard gammons say nomar will move to the outfield
Old Style
Nomar AND Walker have both said they would be willing to consider a move to the OF. Neifi and Hairston are utility men, at best.
jackie childs
do you guys really want nomar running around that much in the outfield? seems like he'd have an even more difficult time staying healthy.
Old Style
He can't be any worse than Moist Hands was out there. Personally, I think he has more opportunity to get hurt at SS.
Old Style
DLee and Maddux picked up Gold Gloves today.
Guitarsoup
AG
Move over Brooks Robinson, Greg Maddux may be the greatest fielder ever.

15 Gold Gloves?
Macpappy99
AG
Doesn't look like the Cubs have to worry about Furcal. The Mets are opening up the pocket books again and going after him and Wagner.

[This message has been edited by Macpappy99 (edited 11/3/2005 7:54a).]
Big Cat `93
AG
A couple of Maddux's Gold Gloves belong to Mike Hampton.
Old Style
Not so fast, Mac.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-051102cubs,1,7532197.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
quote:
Cubs' interest in Furcal is mutual
Atlanta shortstop Rafael Furcal tops the Cubs' off-season wish list, and the 28-year-old leadoff hitter has indicated a sincere desire to play in Chicago.

"He's very close to Neifi [Perez] and [Aramis] Ramirez, and he played with [Greg] Maddux, so there's a comfort level in Chicago," said Paul Kinzer, Furcal's agent. "Whatever team he goes to, he wants to be able to go to a World Series, and he feels the Cubs are going to be competitive in trying to get there.

"I'd say there is very serious interest from Rafael."

And the Cubs have indicated serious interest in Furcal.

"Very much so," Kinzer said.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry was unavailable for comment.

The Cubs are hoping to fill a gaping hole in the leadoff spot, add speed and solidify their defense up the middle in one fell swoop. Furcal, a switch-hitter who stole a career-high 46 bases last season, is seemingly made to order for Hendry.

Braves general manager John Schuerholz had preliminary talks with Furcal on Tuesday in an effort to retain him, but no offer was made, Kinzer said. Furcal is unlikely to sign before seeing what he's worth on the open market, so the Cubs have as good a chance as anyone to reel him in.

The Braves have exclusive negotiating rights to Furcal until Nov. 11. The general managers meetings will be held next week in Indian Wells, Calif., where Hendry will begin laying the groundwork for a Cubs offer. In a best-case scenario, they could sign Furcal before the winter meetings in early December, then move on to improving the outfield and pitching staff.

Furcal's other prominent suitor is the New York Mets, who want to convert him to second base to play alongside slick-fielding shortstop Jose Reyes. Furcal is said to be interested, though Kinzer said the Cubs want him as "a shortstop and leadoff man." Any team asking Furcal to switch positions is going to have to come up with more money.

So how much will Furcal command? Last year's crowded free-agent shortstop crop produced Edgar Renteria's four-year, $40 million deal with Boston, which led to Philadelphia's Jimmy Rollins getting a five-year, $40 million extension.

The Braves are unlikely to get into the $9 million-a-year range, opting to plug in Wilson Betemit if the bidding gets too high.

After a slow start in 2005, Furcal hit .284 with 31 doubles and 58 RBIs. He hit .322 after the All-Star break with a .394 on-base percentage. He ranked third in the National League in steals.

Furcal's arm is considered the best among NL infielders, and he finished third in the league in double plays among shortstops. On the flip side, Furcal hit just .245 in day games last year and .246 on the road.

If they sign Furcal, the Cubs likely would move Ronny Cedeno to second base and begin shopping Todd Walker, whose $2.5 million option was picked up last week. Furcal's past is somewhat problematic, but the Cubs have investigated and are not backing away.

Furcal was arrested for driving under the influence in September 2004 while on probation for an earlier DUI. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 21 days in jail. He was released on good behavior after serving 13 days and receiving in-house treatment. Furcal has not been in trouble since then.

Furcal would fill the Cubs' biggest need, allowing Hendry time to focus on finding another outfielder or two, a starting pitcher and a veteran reliever.
BadMoonRisin'
Nomar is not going to the play outfield.

Expect him to sign with the Dodgers in the not too distant future.

As for Cub outfielders, Murton has been playing CF this offseason. It appears Hendry plans to move Patterson, something that should have been down a while ago. That guy needs a change of scenery.

I also expect the Cubs, along with the Astros, to consider free agent OF Juan Encarnacion. Juan had good seasons in 2003 and 2005 and does several things well.

I do not think Furcal is a great idea, he does not hit during the day and the high grass at Wrigley will not help his speed. But, he can hit lefty and the Cubs need that when you consider Burnitz and Patterson most likely are no longer in the plans.
bluestainedivy
According to Fanball Kerry Wood's right at or a little ahead of schedule in rehab. He's not experiencing any discomfort and is expecting to be ready by the time pitchers report to camp. From what I read he has considered doing relief work but in the near future he's set on being a starter.

Like I've said before that game against the astros early on in his career was impressive but it probably created some inflated expectations. Still if he's in the rotation and healthy he can still go a long way to contribute. I hope him and Prior can make it through this year.
bluestainedivy
More on Woody. I read this quote on the Tribune's website:

quote:
Asked if he is concerned that Chicago may no longer be considered a Cubs town, Wood replied, "No, no, I can't be concerned about the guys on the other side of town. But I would rather the White Sox win [the World Series] than Houston from our own division."

AgRyan04
I just realized that both B.J. Ryan and Trevor Hoffman are FAs.

Wouldn't that be a fun combo to go to at the end of a game[/fantasy]

at tamu-and-baseball.com
bluestainedivy
I really hope that Dempster doesn't experience a sophomore slump. He had a few close calls last year. We were lucky to have him there this year. Imagine how bad it would've been to have someone like Hawkins closing all year.
Old Style
While it would be nice to have a true closer like Billy Wagner in the pen, I'm comfortable with Dempster. The Cubs need to spend money in other places first, IMO.

AgRyan04
like getting the ball to Dempster

at tamu-and-baseball.com
Old Style
Yep. And some sticks in the OF.
Old Style
Cubs just signed Neifi Perez to a 2 year deal.
AgRyan04
I just vomited on my computer in the SCC.

at tamu-and-baseball.com
Old Style
Why? I'm sure they don't expect him to be a starter. He is a great utility man and insurance policy.
AgRyan04
mainly because I just don't like him. I hate that Dusty uses him off the bench as a PHer because he's switch hitter, yet can't really hit from either side. Also, Dusty will find a way to get any veteran into the starting lineup (see Macias the CFer last season).

But also because we resigned Walker and have (I believe) Macias, Hairston & Cedeno under contract. I'm still hoping for Furcal and that gives us an awful lot of middle infielders.

at tamu-and-baseball.com
Old Style
I really like Neifi coming off the bench. Hell, if it weren't for him, the season would have been a complete loss by May. He did hit .274 last year, and was over .300 for quite a while. His numbers didn't slip until later in the season (because he is not cut out to be an everyday player). Besides, he appears to be somewhat of a leader out on the field and is pretty good defensively. Macias is the one that needs to go. I don't really care for Hairston, either.
Old Style
For those of you not happy with the Neifi signing:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-051107cubs,1,1170609.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
quote:
Perez offers helping hand
Encourages Furcal to join him on Cubs

On the night before he signed a two-year deal to return to the Cubs, Neifi Perez tried to recruit Atlanta shortstop Rafael Furcal to come along with him.

Perez, whose two-year, $5 million deal was made official Tuesday, wasn't at all concerned about the probability he'd see a lot less playing time if Furcal signs with the Cubs.

"I talked to him [Monday] night and I told him I would be happy for him to come to the Cubs," Perez said. "I know what he can do to make the team win. When you've got a guy like Furcal at the top of your lineup, a lot of things happen. He could be on base two or three times for Derrek Lee and Aramis [Ramirez]."

Atlanta appears ready to let its exclusive negotiating period pass without wrapping up Furcal, perhaps putting the ball in the hands of Cubs general manager Jim Hendry.

"Obviously he's a great player and if he chooses not to go back, we certainly have some interest," Hendry said.

Perez's signing bodes well for the Cubs' chances of snaring Furcal, who would become the speedy leadoff man the team has lacked since Kenny Lofton's departure after 2003.

Perez, 32, who quietly stepped in as a mentor to the Cubs' young Latino players following Moises Alou's departure, would be asked to make sure Furcal avoids the same kind of off-the-field mistakes he made in Atlanta.

Perez hit .274 with nine home runs and 54 RBIs in 154 games, showing above-average range and defense while filling in for the injured Nomar Garciaparra. Though Hendry said he expected to talk next week to Garciaparra's agent, the oft-injured shortstop doesn't appear to fit in the Cubs' 2006 plans.

Hendry would have a surplus of infielders if he signs Furcal, suggesting Todd Walker could be traded, Ronny Cedeno moved to second and Perez switched back to his utility role. If the Cubs can't come to terms with Furcal, Cedeno will be given an opportunity to start at short, with Perez serving as his backup.

Perez said he believes Cedeno is ready to start on an everyday basis.

"He's good and he's going to get better," Perez said. "I don't know what they're going to do, but he impressed me. He can play in the big leagues. I don't think he needs more time.

"The manager (Dusty Baker) sometimes goes for the veteran guys, but I'm going to do anything I can to help him out. I just want to win and do this thing together. I don't care who's there. Let's play together and win games."

Aside from Furcal, their primary free-agent target, the Cubs also are seeking an outfielder or two and pitching help. Hendry said he expected to talk to between 10 and 15 clubs about trade possibilities in the next two days at the general managers' meetings in California and predicted a return this winter to the days of wheeling and dealing among GMs because of a relatively thin free-agent market.

"I don't think there is a ton of depth in some areas of free agency," Hendry said. "I expect a more active trading market, which I think would be good for the game."
bluestainedivy
They also picked up the option on Scott Williamson.
Old Style
ivy- Check out my original post.
bluestainedivy
my bad
wreckncrew
AG
I have been out of the loop for a while. This is great to see. Here's to Furcal signing with the Cubs...And a small tribute to my good friend, Tim for keeping us Cub fans informed...

Old Style
Don't blow my cover, man. No one hates Old Style...yet.
bluestainedivy
I was wondering were TimAg had gone.
AgRyan04
I suppose that article was somewhat aimed at me, huh?.

It was actually quite nice to read it, thanks....

at tamu-and-baseball.com
wreckncrew
AG
Oops...Sorry Tim...err...Old Style.
Last Page
Page 1 of 358

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.