Cubs thread v2.0

578,808 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by 10andBOUNCE
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wells hasn't been exactly tearing it up at AAA, so I would say no one is going anywhere anytime soon.
bluestainedivy
Today's lineup has Byrd batting in the 8-hole. I know he's batting .043, but wow.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Bryan LaHair with a grand slam. Cubs are out to a quick 8-0 lead.

And Byrd has a hit today...He's back!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Trying to hang on for the W. Would love to spoil ring day at Busch.
WhataMaroon88
AG
I love that Starlin has 7 SB's already. That's an improvement from last year's never run mentality.

On another note, the Bears schedule is out... and it is a SOFT schedule. I like 11-5. Who's already looking at that MNF game against the Cowboys... I'm there.
No Handlebars
Lance Uppercut
AG
Might as well start talking about the Bears. This season already looks pretty useless. I know rebuilding takes time, but it makes for some boring baseball.

There's already some talk of Jackson coming up soon, so that could at least be minorly interesting.

Also, still, Dempster must hate the rest of the team. He and Garza have had some good efforts wasted.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Poor Dempster. Screwed again by his teammates.

I don't see myself going to the Bears-Cowboys game unless someone gives me a free ticket. Don't want to put any more money in Jerry's pocket.
AgShaun00
AG
i tried to watch a few games this year and it is so frustrating.
10andBOUNCE
AG
jackson will be up as soon as he spends enough time in AAA to give them another year of control over him, in about a month

bye bye byrd

[This message has been edited by Theo is a Touchdown (edited 4/18/2012 7:10a).]
Lance Uppercut
AG
If we continue at our current rate, we should jusssst avoid being the worst team to play a 162 game schedule.
bluestainedivy
I expected a little more from this team coming out of spring training. Don't get me wrong, I didn't have playoff expectations, but I did expect the team to play a little more heads up ball. They seem to be pretty dead, primarily on offense. They can't make things happen and if they get a good opportunity for a big inning with no or one outs they ground into double plays. Honestly, I think a lot of that has to do with Soriano's and Byrd's bats being quiet of late (Byrd's has been quiet for the whole of the early season). I will say that it is consolation that they young guys: Clevenger, LaHair, Barney, Castro are playing well. I wonder if Geo will lose his starting spot soon.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Odd that Soto was rookie of the year 2008.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 4/19/2012 9:59a).]
bluestainedivy
He pulled a 2-4 yesterday with two singles. The rest of the offense did their part to squander good scoring opportunities.
10andBOUNCE
AG
soto is not very good; he can't throw anyone out on the bases and has been reduced to a very average offensive player and trending towards below average
Know Your Enemy
AG
Woody to the DL.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-cubs-put-kerry-wood-on-disabled-list-20120420,0,3744432.story
Know Your Enemy
AG
Dempster to the DL. And the unthinkable happens. The Cubs get even worse. 
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Source:Red Sox closing in on deal for Cubs OF Marlon Byrd.
10andBOUNCE
AG
love marlon, but it is necessary at this point
bluestainedivy
I think part of what's aggravating is not he losses themselves, but instead how the games are lost. I think we all expected to not have a great season. It just seems like if the team played fundamental baseball they'd be near .500. Is it just me?
10andBOUNCE
AG
For as much as fundamentals were preached, this team is just not playing that way now. The bullpen has blown a few and the offense has been horrid. Maybe Campana can spark something
Lance Uppercut
AG
It's a lot of "Ifs". Like if the bullpen could even approach doing its job, or situational hitting, or getting one run out of 2 in scoring position with 1 or less outs....you name it. Stuff that comes with the territory of being not good.

Cubs got reliever Michael Bowden and a PTBNL from the Red Sox for Byrd. The bad part, though necessary, is that like with most of these trades we are still paying for most of Byrd's salary.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Paying most of his salary is better than paying all of it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs scored 2 in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Cardinals 3-2. 
AgShaun00
AG
i saw the update on my phone this morning and thought it was an espn screw up.
bluestainedivy
It was a Jason Motte screwup
Know Your Enemy
AG
2nd straight walk off win over the Cardinals for the first series win of the season.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Someone texted me to point out Marlon Byrd tied his hit total from 43 At Bats in Chicago after 2 days of being in Boston. (that total: 3)
bluestainedivy
Alright, two questions for you guys:

1) Have you guys seen the commercial for PS3's MLB The Show '12? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVGAfA15U1I. I can't watch it. Perhaps because I can't release myself to even consider the joy of celebrating a WS victory until it actually happens or perhaps because I get a little emotional. So that brings me to my first question...if the Cubs win the WS will you cry? I'm not going to lie, I probably will.

2) Second question, who is Junkhead and what did he do with Dr. Cub? Also, is Junkhead a reference to a song from a popular '90's alternative band?
BobOliver2006
AG
i agree about that commercial. i saw it once, but don't need to see it again. i don't think it's been on WGN. there's not enough time between the Bud Light and Alfac commercials.
quote:
I can't believe he hurt it at the company picnic!

but when it comes to current Cubs-related commercials, this is my favorite... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A63XjuA8u3U
bluestainedivy
Bob, you didn't answer the question. It's ok, we're all buds here.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Love that commercial. And I will cry like a baby when the Cubs win it all, especially if my dad is not alive to see it.

Dr. Cub, Esq. has joined Harry Caray and Ron Santo in the Friendly Confines in the sky. And Junkhead does come from the greatest grunge album ever.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Love the Chicago Geico commercial too.
BobOliver2006
AG
oh i absolutely will
bluestainedivy
quote:
Junkhead does come from the greatest grunge album ever.

I think I can agree with you on that, although that songs one of my least favorite no that album.
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.