Bird vs Lebron

6,779 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rsf0626
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Even though it's historical fiction, watching the show on HBO about the Lakers is a great reminder of how vicious that era of player was. 80s NBA might be my favorite era of any sport in my whole life.
kb2001
AG
digital_ag said:

It's Bird for the same reason MJ is the GOAT. Bird was a bad dude. LeBalding is easily the most physically gifted player ever but he's a mental midget.
This sums it up perfectly. The fact that LeBron is probably the most physically gifted player in NBA history but isn't miles ahead of everyone else ever shows just what a weak competitor he is. If he had half the drive of MJ or Bird he would easily be the GOAT without question.
Ulrich
Think there's something to this, but I can't fully subscribe. Here's an excerpt from an article about the Cavs vs the Pistons in the 2007 playoffs, and keep in mind that this was a really good Pistons team (Billups, Sheed, Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton, McDyess, Maxiell, and Chris Webber.

Quote:

In just over 16 minutes of game time, James would score 29 of Cleveland's 30 points, including the team's final 25 points on 11-of-13 shooting from the field. He'd force overtime on a driving dunk with nine seconds remaining and then finish the game off in double-overtime with a driving layup with two seconds left.

You don't get to the heights that Lebron has achieved without being a real competitor. Maybe Jordan had an edge, maybe Bird did, too. But I can't hold contempt for Lebron as a basketball player, not when he has been at the top of the league for a solid 18 years. He's been a multimillionaire many times over since he was 18 years old; you don't achieve the way he has for nearly two decades without a whole lot of "want to".
Ulrich
I think Bird is underrated, but Lebron is still the second best player in NBA history. We can acknowledge that they are both great players and great competitors. Only one player has even approached Lebron's ability to keep playing night after night, year after year, with no breaks and incredible productivity. That's Kareem.

I would have loved to see Bird in today's NBA with todays surgeries and medicine though.
ATM9000
AG
kb2001 said:

digital_ag said:

It's Bird for the same reason MJ is the GOAT. Bird was a bad dude. LeBalding is easily the most physically gifted player ever but he's a mental midget.
This sums it up perfectly. The fact that LeBron is probably the most physically gifted player in NBA history but isn't miles ahead of everyone else ever shows just what a weak competitor he is. If he had half the drive of MJ or Bird he would easily be the GOAT without question.

10 Finals appearances. 4 championships and pretty inarguably one of the 3 best all time.

Also mental midget and weak competitor. I tease Lebron internet defenders because of how defensive they get… but this argument that the guy is soft and doesn't compete given what he's accomplished in his career is just sort of obtuse and ignorant and usually made by people who listen to sports talk radio more than actually watch basketball itself.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Lebron > Bird, he's clearly the second best basketball player ever. The biggest differences are athleticism and defensive versatility. Lebron is the only player in league history who can defend all 5 positions on the court at a high level.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MGS
By the way, Larry Bird was never on an NBA team that missed the playoffs.
M.C. Swag
AG
Larry Bird was also sitting on his couch at the age of 37 instead of leading the nba in scoring.
ryanhnc10
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Larry Bird was also sitting on his couch at the age of 37 instead of leading the nba in scoring.

To be fair, Bird had a 37 year olds body when he was 22
Macarthur
To everyone that keeps saying LJ is the second best player ever, it is criminal that this guy is at least not #2 all time and I think a case can be made he is 100% the GOAT.

Go back and take a look at his ENTIRE Career.
M.C. Swag
AG
I think it's just about the era he played in. Same reaon people don't have Wilt #1 despite his insane stats/career. MJ and Lebron just played in more modern eras with better overall talent across the board. Kareem is still basically #3 on most people's list and it's not a slight.
Iowaggie
AG
I still think it's about seeing the video whether on television or on ESPN and that makes a huge difference. We generally don't put the best of what we haven't seen over what we have.

I think when comparing players, you have to compare how dominant they were in their era.
Infection_Ag11
AG
MGS said:

By the way, Larry Bird was never on an NBA team that missed the playoffs.

Larry Bird's career was over at 35. Lebron led the league in scoring at 37 and is going to be scoring 20+ PPG into his 40s.

Bird also played his entire career with at least 3 other HOFErs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Macarthur said:

To everyone that keeps saying LJ is the second best player ever, it is criminal that this guy is at least not #2 all time and I think a case can be made he is 100% the GOAT.

It's the same reason Wilt isn't considered the GOAT. Within the confines of their eras they were unchallenged most nights. Kareem in the 1970s was a unicorn and playing in a era that catered perfectly to his style. He played his entire career 15 feet from the hoop and did whatever he wanted. Pat Riley once said he could stand in the paint without moving for 48 minutes and average 20/10.

If Lebron had played in the 60s or 70s he could literally name his score. There was nobody with the combination of size and strength to even think about slowing him down.
Ulrich
Sports medicine is a real factor here. It has come a long way in the last 30 years.
Faustus
Infection_Ag11 said:

Macarthur said:

It's the same reason Wilt isn't considered the GOAT. Within the confines of their eras they were unchallenged most nights. Kareem in the 1970s was a unicorn and playing in a era that catered perfectly to his style. He played his entire career 15 feet from the hoop and did whatever he wanted. Pat Riley once said he could stand in the paint without moving for 48 minutes and average 20/10.

If Lebron had played in the 60s or 70s he could literally name his score. There was nobody with the combination of size and strength to even think about slowing him down.

Lebron is what, a foot taller than Wilt was?
Macarthur
Infection_Ag11 said:

Macarthur said:

But I don't see anything you said as an argument against Kareem. Part of him being a unicorn is part f his greatness.

I also don't like the wilt comparison because Kareem did play against guys that were much closer to his size than wilt did.
Iowaggie
AG
For those that like debating these items....

https://instagr.am/p/Chcu9G7jOrl
rsf0626
these are two completely different players. How the hell can you compare them?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.