*****2021 Spurs Offseason Thread*****

48,609 Views | 757 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by azul_rain
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A good shooter wouldn't hurt either. We are just really lacking in a lot of areas.
jteagle
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I wouldn't mind drafting him either. Most mock drafts have him available at the time the Spurs draft. He fell from 10 to 17 on KOC's draft.

If the Spurs really are looking to move DJ or White, there might be some good back court options available at 12 too. Regardless I hope we take BPA.

If we're gonna trade one of our two primary ball handlers, then I really like Josh Giddey. He's second on my personal list of prospects available at 12 right now, but his current fit isn't great with both White and Dejounte running the offense.
I like both of those and would be OK with either. Jalen Johnson is intriguing but the fact that he sat out last year bothers me a little. He seems like he has a huge upside but may be more of a gamble.

I am also interested to see if Luka continues to progress and how he will be used this year.

One things is certain, this offseason should be more interesting than most of the recent past. At least I hope it is.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

A good shooter wouldn't hurt either. We are just really lacking in a lot of areas.

Most definitely. I don't hate Corey Kispert and I think he'll be a really good player for a long time similar to Kyle Korver. However, he's the type that's a really good piece on a team but not the guy you build around. I'd rather trade back and pick up multiple picks/wait for the 2nd round, or see who we can acquire in free agency to address our shooting needs.

Chris Duarte, Trey Murphy, Joe Wieskamp, Kessler Edwards are just a few names that will be available in either the late first or second round.
West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I wouldn't mind drafting him either. Most mock drafts have him available at the time the Spurs draft. He fell from 10 to 17 on KOC's draft.

If the Spurs really are looking to move DJ or White, there might be some good back court options available at 12 too. Regardless I hope we take BPA.

If we're gonna trade one of our two primary ball handlers, then I really like Josh Giddey. He's second on my personal list of prospects available at 12 right now, but his current fit isn't great with both White and Dejounte running the offense.
I like both of those and would be OK with either. Jalen Johnson is intriguing but the fact that he sat out last year bothers me a little. He seems like he has a huge upside but may be more of a gamble.

I am also interested to see if Luka continues to progress and how he will be used this year.

One things is certain, this offseason should be more interesting than most of the recent past. At least I hope it is.

Even with all the upside he has, I have a hard time seeing PATFO drafting Johnson. They've built a reputation on not drafting knuckle heads and after the Kawhi debacle I imagine they're more gun shy than normal.
Guitarsoup
AG
The likelihood of getting a franchise cornerstone at 12 is slim.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I just hope we don't squander our cap space on long term offers to Lauri or Collins. I'd rather take on a bad contract for two years and get another first rounder, say like a Wiggins with #14.
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Booker and Giannis were both drafted after 12. But in all seriousness I know you're right but there are some that are more likely than others.
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

Guitarsoup said:

Booker and Giannis were both drafted after 12. But in all seriousness I know you're right but there are some that are more likely than others.
Going back ten years with just a quick look at Win Shares. Hard to call all these guys franchise cornerstones, though Kawhi, Giannis, Lonnie, and Jokic all are.

2011: Jimmy Butler 30th
2011: Kawhi 15th
2012: Middleton 39th
2013: Gobert 27th
2013: Giannis 15th
2014: Jokic 41st
2014: Capela 25th
2016: Siakam 27th
2018: Lonnie Walker 18th
2018: Michael Porter 14th
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I just hope we don't squander our cap space on long term offers to Lauri or Collins. I'd rather take on a bad contract for two years and get another first rounder, say like a Wiggins with #14.

Speaking of

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

jteagle said:

Guitarsoup said:

Going back ten years with just a quick look at Win Shares. Hard to call all these guys franchise cornerstones, though Kawhi, Giannis, Lonnie, and Jokic all are.

2011: Jimmy Butler 30th
2011: Kawhi 15th
2012: Middleton 39th
2013: Gobert 27th
2013: Giannis 15th
2014: Jokic 41st
2014: Capela 25th
2016: Siakam 27th
2018: Lonnie Walker 18th
2018: Michael Porter 14th

One of those was just for Mookie.
MookieBlaylock
AG
If Middleton opts out does Lonnie get the call?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sengun is #4 on Hollingers big board.
Guitarsoup
AG
DD we'll take a pay cut to play for the Lakers

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/spurs-former-all-star-demar-derozan-willing-to-take-a-pay-cut-to-join-lakers-per-report/
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/spurs-former-all-star-demar-derozan-willing-to-take-a-pay-cut-to-join-lakers-per-report/

If he's willing to sign for the MLE, then good for him. If he wants anything more than that it's probably gonna have to be a sign and trade.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

If he's willing to sign for the MLE, then good for him. If he wants anything more than that it's probably gonna have to be a sign and trade.

Lakers are at 123mm with just seven players. Doesn't include Caruso, Schroeder, etc.

They will only have the taxpayer MLE, which is 5ish, not 10ish
West Texan
AG

Interesting article, but pretty much tells us with numbers what we can see anyway. The teams that are always picking in the lottery aren't very good at drafting.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea, I think he will likely take the tax payer MLE. Taking on any of the Laker's assets is just so meh. The 22nd pick would be good, but everything else I'm just really lukewarm on, even Kuzma.

I think we will likely lose DeMar for nothing. I can see why the Spurs made the move for DeMar to remain competitive. It just didn't work out. I really think it was the best they could do when Kawhi completely tanked his value. But they could have acknowledged the terrible fit of LMA and DeMar a lot sooner and done something about it. Oh well. At least we got Big Body.
jteagle
AG
So who do yall think will be a good fit in free agency? I've seen some talk about Fournier and Oubre. What do yall think? I haven't really watched Fournier enough to even know what his game is and I'm not sold on Oubre.
Enzo The Baker
AG
This free agency class is pretty bleak. I'm not a fan of anyone. Depending on who we draft, we really need to shore our front line up. But is Collins at $20 million really worth it? Duncan Robinson is the only player that piques my interest, but he's gonna get that Bertans money, if not more.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

This free agency class is pretty bleak. I'm not a fan of anyone. Depending on who we draft, we really need to shore our front line up. But is Collins at $20 million really worth it? Duncan Robinson is the only player that piques my interest, but he's gonna get that Bertans money, if not more.
I agree. Definitely not a player to build your team around in free agency this year. Gotta hope we strike gold with somebody in the draft and our young players keep developing.

Really would like to see a big jump from Lonnie, Luka and Keldon.
Guitarsoup
AG
We need playmakers (especially with the loss of DD) and there aren't really any in FA.

Lauri would fit well next to Poetl, but meh.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea. I'd much rather have Collins than Lauri. He does nothing for me.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Yea. I'd much rather have Collins than Lauri. He does nothing for me.

Same, but with the addition of Vuvuec, I do l think the bills let Lauri go. I think Atl will run it back since they were so close.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Very true. Unless the Spurs offer the max, which might be tough for Atlanta to match, as they would likely be in luxury tax territory after next season.

Not saying we should offer the max by any means though.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I demand Duncan Robinson be a Spur!!!!
Mike Elko
AG
The patented 3rd quarter collapse followed Pop to Tokyo. Great job, man.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea. It might be Pop. Or it might be the team's three best players playing like dog **** on offense.
Ag Natural
AG
Why does Lillard play like a chump?
Enzo The Baker
AG
He's the worst type of player for international ball. It's like '04 AI. He's a high volume low percentage guy. Jrue should take over starting point guard duties (while picking and choosing his stuff better). Booker gets a pass for today's game, but Dame, KD and Tatum? Come on man.
Ulrich
The Spurs haven't had a good point guard since Parker left. That's the biggest need, and landing one could potentially unlock a lot of the talent on the team.

That said, even with a good point guard they are stuck in purgatory with a ceiling of scrappy second round exit. Totally unsurprising given their roster decisions for the last few years, but at this point they have to get really lucky in the draft or just deal with it until the team collapses. No big free agents are going to San Antonio.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Shams is reporting that LAL and SAC are in discussion for a Kuzma-Hield trade. This would likely torpedo any chances of a s&t for Derozan with LAL.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Shams is reporting that LAL and SAC are in discussion for a Kuzma-Hield trade. This would likely torpedo any chances of a s&t for Derozan with LAL.

Max for Collins, here we go!
FTAG 2000
AG
https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/team-usa-players-are-frustrated-with-gregg-popovich-running-the-san-antonio-offense/

Pop trying to teach Team USA the Spurs offense in three weeks. What a fool.

Get some pick and roll going with your shooters and profit, you old fool.
Ag Natural
AG
AG 2000' said:

https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/team-usa-players-are-frustrated-with-gregg-popovich-running-the-san-antonio-offense/

Pop trying to teach Team USA the Spurs offense in three weeks. What a fool.

Get some pick and roll going with your shooters and profit, you old fool.

All NBA players were missing wide open shots all game. This has nothing to do with any system. They just choked.
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

The Spurs haven't had a good point guard since Parker left. That's the biggest need, and landing one could potentially unlock a lot of the talent on the team.

That said, even with a good point guard they are stuck in purgatory with a ceiling of scrappy second round exit. Totally unsurprising given their roster decisions for the last few years, but at this point they have to get really lucky in the draft or just deal with it until the team collapses. No big free agents are going to San Antonio.

There's always luck involved unless you are the Lakers. All you can do is keep stacking assets and hope some of these guys become breakout stars or they get valuable enough to bundle and trade for a disgruntled star.

I understand the impatience but its no use trying to rush anything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.