*****2021 Spurs Offseason Thread*****

54,828 Views | 757 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by azul_rain
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Jock shot 6-8 for 14 points in the bronze medal game
jteagle
AG
I'm going to miss Patty. Obviously we see them from a distance but he seems to be a genuinely nice guy who is always trying to do the right thing. I'm probably going to miss him off the court more than on.

Good for him for getting a medal.
Ag Natural
AG
Patty is up there with my all time favorite Spurs. If you go back and watch the 2014 finals you could argue that Patty was as much of an MVP as anyone. He shows up in big games.
Guitarsoup
AG

Haha / Nelson
jteagle
AG
Big news

jteagle
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG

McBuckets a S&T. Not sure the reasoning for having to do this but whatevs
Guitarsoup
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

McBuckets a S&T. Not sure the reasoning for having to do this but whatevs

Possibly get a draft pick, Indiana gets a trade exception.
superunknown
AG
Bird rights convey via s&t as well don't they?
Ag Natural
AG
S&T usually are about the contract structure and salary cap.
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

Bird rights convey via s&t as well don't they?

All sign n trades have to be with a 3-year or longer contract, so by the time the contract is over they will have bird rights anyway
Guitarsoup
AG

Send them Aminu
Enzo The Baker
AG
Come back to where you drafted, Goran. Come home.
Ag Natural
AG
I really like Primo. He's a smooth offensive player. Outside shot is tight. He'll be very consistent. Ball handling, passing and defense has all been nice. He is turnover prone right now so I'm not sure how much time he'll get.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

I really like Primo. He's a smooth offensive player. Outside shot is tight. He'll be very consistent. Ball handling, passing and defense has all been nice. He is turnover prone right now so I'm not sure how much time he'll get.

Yea. Even thought he really struggled tonight, he still made a lot of nice passes and some good defensive plays. We just have so many guards that are further along in development at this point. A season in Austin will do him good.
FTAG 2000
AG
So now it's out that the Spurs somehow lost the trade with Indy, how we feeling about the world's greatest GM in Brian Wright?

Guitarsoup
AG
AG 2000' said:

So now it's out that the Spurs somehow lost the trade with Indy, how we feeling about the world's greatest GM in Brian Wright?

WTF are you talking about?

The NBA posted it was complete two days ago.

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers-complete-trade-spurs
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

AG 2000' said:

From what I understand the respective 2nd round picks are top 31-55 protected, so essentially this is just a filler as neither will likely convey. Then the Spurs get a pick swap out of it. Spurs signed who they wanted and got a pick swap out of the deal. Pacers get a trade exception.

Spurs did not lose the trade. It was just a way to get extra stuff in addition to McBuckets and it benefits both teams
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

AG 2000' said:

From what I understand the respective 2nd round picks are top 31-55 protected, so essentially this is just a filler as neither will likely convey. Then the Spurs get a pick swap out of it. Spurs signed who they wanted and got a pick swap out of the deal. Pacers get a trade exception.

Spurs did not lose the trade. It was just a way to get extra stuff in addition to McBuckets and it benefits both teams
There were three picks.

The Spurs 2023 2nd to Indiana (protected 31-55, will not convey)
The Pacers 2023 2nd to Spurs (same protection, same wont convey)
A pick swap where Spurs get the best 2nd rounder in a few years.

So the Spurs could have signed him outright, but we did a trade where we move up in the 2nd round in a few years. Spurs can also technically include the Indiana 2nd rounder that wont convey in another trade.

So not sure how we lost it. Instead of just signing McD, we acquired two tradable assets.
Guitarsoup
AG
The more interesting thing is the big 5-team Nets/Lakers/Wizards/Spurs/Pacers trade with Westbrook and Dinwiddie hasn't been completed, nor has the Spurs/Bulls trade.

That says to me, teams are trying to expand it.

Like send Thaddeus Young, Derrick White, and a box of rocks to Philly for Simmons.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea I could see us trying to move Thad. His skills are much more valuable for a contending team. Not really on our timeline. And if we ended up liking him and wanted to retain him we would have to pay him a good amount to keep him. He doesn't exactly make sense for our squad.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Yea I could see us trying to move Thad. His skills are much more valuable for a contending team. Not really on our timeline. And if we ended up liking him and wanted to retain him we would have to pay him a good amount to keep him. He doesn't exactly make sense for our squad.
Murray: 15.4 (48 left)
White: 15.2 (64 left)
Thad Young: 14.2
Aminu: 10.2
Hutchinson: 4

We've got some easily movable assets.

Only contracts extending beyond this year that aren't rookie contracts:
Murray
White
Collins
McD
Poetl
I think Forbes and Jock have an option.

Murray's is 12.5% of the cap, the rest of them are smaller than that.

Spurs are in a good, solid financial position right now. Easy to trade for a big contract, easy to make a run at fre agency next year.
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

AG 2000' said:

The Pacers would have to be a top-five team in the NBA in 2023 or the Spurs would have to finish with a better record than both Indiana and Miami in 2026 to be able to swap a second rounder in that draft. And then even if the latter situation happens, the Spurs get the worse of the Indiana and Miami picks.

If we are a top 5 regular season team in 2 years we give a pick to IND and end up with nothing in return (they walk away with the trade exception and the second rounder).

That's what Wright signed is up for. Incompetent.
Enzo The Baker
AG
superunknown
AG
Maybe moving to Austin isn't happening ever.

Enzo The Baker
AG
superunknown said:

Spurs plan' for retaining Simmons when his contract is up in '25.
superunknown
AG
I have a friend at SSE and i sent them that tweet and they told me "ok listen I did a good job of keeping my mouth shut"
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

superunknown said:

Spurs plan' for retaining Simmons when his contract is up in '25.
Is there room next to it for a new arena in a few years?
Guitarsoup
AG
AG 2000' said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

AG 2000' said:

The Pacers would have to be a top-five team in the NBA in 2023 or the Spurs would have to finish with a better record than both Indiana and Miami in 2026 to be able to swap a second rounder in that draft. And then even if the latter situation happens, the Spurs get the worse of the Indiana and Miami picks.

If we are a top 5 regular season team in 2 years we give a pick to IND and end up with nothing in return (they walk away with the trade exception and the second rounder).

So instead of signing Doug outright, he put a bottom five seconds round pick at risk and got a pick swap with two underachieving teams, and that makes him incompetent?
azul_rain
all the butthurt poors are mad it's on the northside and not the south or east side. Yea let's build a $500M complex in the ghetto and not close to where the players live
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

AG 2000' said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

AG 2000' said:

So instead of signing Doug outright, he put a bottom five seconds round pick at risk and got a pick swap with two underachieving teams, and that makes him incompetent?
Read it again Soup..
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
So this is the rumor of the day:

Enzo The Baker
AG
Meh. Would rather have a pick.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.