******* 2020-2021 San Antonio Spurs ********

79,168 Views | 1262 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Enzo The Baker
jteagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Aldridge was the biggest name FA signing in franchise history. Really had a shot of competing for titles with him and Kawhi. He probably could have asked to get out a lot sooner. He kept us relevant for longer and was a true professional. I hope he can play for a ship.
I have also read that he was a strong presence in the community working with the Boys and Girls clubs and other charities. Things didn't exactly work out the way we wanted it to but he did give us some good years.
azul_rain
Shame cause I know he had family here already
West Texan
AG
I think we all suspected LA to be moved, but still kinda weird that it's been announced that he's done here. I really enjoyed having him and it looked like he and Kawhi were gonna keep us contending, but we all know how that played out. He was a really good player, but Father Time caught up with him in a big way this year and we're clearly better when Poeltl is on the floor. The most likely trade partner appears to be Boston with their huge trade exception, but we'll see.

On another note
Ag Natural
AG
What would the Celts give up? Timelord?
West Texan
AG
We got killed on the boards tonight.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think it will likely be Miami, Boston or Portland. Out of these destinations I think the best we can do is get a 2nd rounder and/or an Olynyk/Hitler, Collins+filler, Theis/Thompson. I don't think a first rounder or contribution player for the future is in the cards. I'd put my money on Miami. They have more assets than Boston. Wouldn't be surprised if Boston let the trade exception pass them by.
Ag Natural
AG
Im actually really sad to see LMA go like this. He is a uniquely talented big man and I really enjoyed watching him play. I was hoping he'd embrace the reserve role and torch bench players.
FTAG 2000
AG
Ag Natural said:

Im actually really sad to see LMA go like this. He is a uniquely talented big man and I really enjoyed watching him play. I was hoping he'd embrace the reserve role and torch bench players.
Lots of hope there. he tried to force a trade a few years back over touches when Nephew was still here.

His body language the last few weeks coming off the bench was pretty pathetic, not really surprised we got to this point.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Uh oh. DeMar out for personal reasons on Friday. He next?

Edit: NVM. Attending his father's funeral.
Cappo
AG
Don't like losing to the Mavs..
Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

jteagle
AG
They held the Magic to 10 points in the 2nd quarter. Slow start but they got going pretty well.
Enzo The Baker
AG
From hoopshype. At least it sounds like there's some competition.
Quote:

Miami has also dangled veterans Avery Bradley, Maurice Harkless and Meyers Leonard to match salaries as part of a trade package for San Antonio's LaMarcus Aldridge, league sources told HoopsHype. The Heat would also have to add another minimum contract such as either Chris Silva or KZ Okpala and draft pick compensation to make a trade worthwhile for San Antonio.

Miami is expected to have competition from several teams hoping to acquire Aldridge to improve their playoff chances. Some executives around the league who spoke with HoopsHype believe the Boston Celtics could join the mix to acquire Aldridge using their $28.5 million trade exception despite Danny Ainge recently suggesting the team will most likely use the exception during the offseason.

Aldridge earns $24 million this season. The Celtics are roughly $19.9 million below the hard cap and would need to send out $4.1 million in salary to San Antonio to stay below the hard cap according to our salary cap expert Yossi Gozlan.
Enzo The Baker
AG
There's some analysts that think the play-in tournament is causing a lot of teams to stand pat and not test the trade market when they otherwise would. So with Aldridge being available we might be able to get something better out of it than we would have in a normal playoff format season. And Drummond's salary is so high that it will be extremely hard to trade. A buyout is more likely for him.
jteagle
AG
Joel Embiid out for two weeks. Won't be in the lineup against the Spurs tonight.
Enzo The Baker
AG
DeMar out again tonight. Should be an entertaining game.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Or not.
West Texan
AG
LawHall88 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Or not.

I'm not sure there is a word strong enough to describe how awful we played tonight.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Given the rest of their schedule, I think best case scenario is 9-10 for a crack at the play-in.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Per Sam Amick of the Athletic regarding LMA. More competitive than the Kawhi sweepstakes. Pathetic.

Quote:

All indications are that his relocation will come via trade, as sources say interested GMs have been told that there are five teams firmly in the mix.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Chris Haynes on DDR.
Quote:

As Aldridge and the Spurs prepare to part ways, the team's other former All-Star, DeMar DeRozan, remains a focal point of the team's offensive attack, having averaged 20.3 points and 7.3 assists per game this season. San Antonio isn't actively seeking a DeRozan trade, per Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports. However, Haynes says that could change if the two sides don't agree to an in-season extension before the trade deadline. Currently, no extension negotiations are active, Haynes adds.
Is making a play-in push really worth giving up potential assets in a DeMar trade (assuming this report is true and DeMar leaves)?

Ag Natural
AG
I don't see the Spurs trading him prior to the deadline. I haven't looked at the offseason situation around the league. What does the FA pool look like? and what are the cap situations? It seems unlikely that a lot of teams will have big money to spend especially with the covid hits to revenue.
jteagle
AG
Ag Natural said:

I don't see the Spurs trading him prior to the deadline. I haven't looked at the offseason situation around the league. What does the FA pool look like? and what are the cap situations? It seems unlikely that a lot of teams will have big money to spend especially with the covid hits to revenue.
At this point I don't see them trading him either and it wouldn't surprise me if they sign him instead of going after another free agent this offseason.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
It's funny that Aldridge, as terrible as he's played this year, is still a valuable trade asset bc several teams just happen to need another Big. Boston, Brooklyn, Miami just to name a few. But they each will need to part with depth to make it happen which I doubt many want to do. None of the potential contending teams is "a DDR away " from making noise either. I think the consensus is that, bc of the COVID rules, any of the teams that make the play in has a chance so many are willing to stand pat. all it takes is a team getting hit with a positive test during the playoffs and have a player or multiple players sit out for several games for a matchup to get flipped on its head.
Tobias Funke
AG
Legit chance for 9 players to finish with points in the double figures tonight. I wonder what the record is
Tobias Funke
AG
Well I jinxed that
jteagle
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Well I jinxed that
It was a good bounce back game after the horrible night in Philly!
Enzo The Baker
AG
Mannix now says that Aldridge likely to be bought out after the deadline. I knew it was too good to be true.
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Mannix now says that Aldridge likely to be bought out after the deadline. I knew it was too good to be true.
This was always the inevitable conclusion - Pop and the front office folks suck at trades.
Enzo The Baker
AG
2011 aside.

I do think they suck at realizing that something doesn't fit and not jumping on an opportunity sooner. Aldridge would have gotten assets back last trade deadline. Even then it was clear he didn't fit with this team, especially with Demar. I get that the Spurs want to do right by people because they have a reputation to uphold but some of their decisions (or lack of thereof) have for sure been questionable over the last few years. I don't know if it's because of Wright or if the rest of front offices in the league just finally caught up but our most recent track record isn't the greatest.
Ag Natural
AG
AG 2000' said:

Enzo The Baker said:

This was always the inevitable conclusion - Pop and the front office folks suck at trades.
Or it might be the best option anyway.

what could the Spurs get that would make any sense for this team? Any middling player just clutters up the rotation. A pick might turn into something but what? There's not a ton of open slots for rookies on this team either. I was thinking they'd probably be looking for the rights to stashed European players. LA was going to leave in the off season anyway. This just accelerates it. Maybe they'll lure a decent FA with the cap money.
FTAG 2000
AG
Ag Natural said:

AG 2000' said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Or it might be the best option anyway.

what could the Spurs get that would make any sense for this team? Any middling player just clutters up the rotation. A pick might turn into something but what? There's not a ton of open slots for rookies on this team either. I was thinking they'd probably be looking for the rights to stashed European players. LA was going to leave in the off season anyway. This just accelerates it. Maybe they'll lure a decent FA with the cap money.
You're right, LA was always going to leave this offseason, which is why they should have dealt him last summer before his knees fell off a cliff.

Plenty of teams hunting for bigs.
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

LaMarcus Aldridge: Last January, the Spurs guaranteed Aldridge's $24 million salary for this season for reasons that didn't seem entirely clear and remain fairly puzzling. They could have waived him in the offseason and taken just a $7 million hit, a difference that would have allowed the Spurs to use their midlevel exception and fill their 15th roster spot. Instead, they're now in a position where they might end up paying him to go away. Aldridge can still help as a pick-and-pop backup five, but he doesn't move nearly as well as he used to on defense, and no good team is going to slow everything down to run post-ups for him anymore. While the Spurs will look for a trade, his salary is a major impediment to a deal, and this one seems headed for a buyout.
https://theathletic.com/2450715/2021/03/15/the-nba-trade-markets-worst-enemy-and-a-front-office-view-of-the-current-names-likely-to-be-moved/
Sports-Ag
AG
Pop is 3 wins away from 1,300.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.