2019 NBA offseason

88,323 Views | 920 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Enzo The Baker
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Didn't sensitive Spurs fans turn an offseason discussion into whining about the Rockets because they know they're not able to compete with them this year.
Someone posted a meme and then Rockets fans that got all sensitive about it, then retreated to their fortress of **** talk. Pretty typical Rockets fans on here.
CFTXAG10
AG
We need a trash talk thread like the Astros-Rangers
aggie_fan13
AG
There were no Astros fans prior to 2016
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Didn't the Rockets give Capela 18mil/year when literally no one else was offering him anything?
1 -> Didn't the Rockets give Chris Paul a 4y/160mm contract when literally no one else in the league was offering him anywhere close to the max?

2-> Didn't the Rockets take on the least efficient scorer in the league for 4y/171mm when literally no one else in the league wanted to touch him?
1-> Chris Paul is the president of the players union. As a show of good faith (and to facilitate the Opt&trade necessary to acquire him), Hou and Paul mutually agreed that a vet super max deal would be offered by the Rockets at the conclusion of his 1 year player option. Without him opting in with the clippers, Hou is unable to acquire him in the first place.

If they re-neg on that deal, they risk alienating all future FAs.

2 -> Where did you get this information? I would bet TWolves, Lakers, and Heat had interest.
West Texan
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I second that
Guitarsoup
AG
I've just never seen a fanbase of a team that hasn't done anything relevant at all in two decades talk so much trash about a team that has the most championships in the league over the last two decades.

But congrats on trading the pointgod for the least efficient scorer in the NBA. That's quite the off season. If only we could have traded for someone with a TS% of .501. Jacking up a half dozen threes per game while hitting less than 30%. That's going to be something to watch.
aggie_fan13
AG
but they went past the first round....
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Didn't the Rockets give Capela 18mil/year when literally no one else was offering him anything?
1 -> Didn't the Rockets give Chris Paul a 4y/160mm contract when literally no one else in the league was offering him anywhere close to the max?

2-> Didn't the Rockets take on the least efficient scorer in the league for 4y/171mm when literally no one else in the league wanted to touch him?
1-> Chris Paul is the president of the players union. As a show of good faith (and to facilitate the Opt&trade necessary to acquire him), Hou and Paul mutually agreed that a vet super max deal would be offered by the Rockets at the conclusion of his 1 year player option. Without him opting in with the clippers, Hou is unable to acquire him in the first place.

If they re-neg on that deal, they risk alienating all future FAs.

2 -> Where did you get this information? I would bet TWolves, Lakers, and Heat had interest.

You forgot to quote a point.

1. Such an agreement is illegal by the NBA bylaws, and a similar agreement with Kevin McHale and Joe Smith cost the Tpups 4 first round picks.

2. Heat maybe. But they weren't willing to part with assets for him. Lakers had nothing to trade, so even if they were interested, it's a moot point, because they couldn't trade for him. Wolves were in a similar situation.

Not a lot of teams were wanting to mortgage their future on a point guard that relies 100% on explosiveness, but has played over a decade in the league. At least as Chris Paul has aged, he can play more off ball and hit threes. Westbrook is just going to become less and less efficient as he is not able to get to the hole as easily.
Saint Pablo
Calm down ladies.
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Wouldn't that be more like a Rockets-Mavs thread? Lil SA doesn't have other sports.
aggie_fan13
AG
and yet our one team has more championships than all of yours combined
Staff
Enough with the personal attacks. Stay on topic - don't derail.
CreedBratton
CFTXAG10 said:

Spurs fans, lets get this going and burn this forum to the ground
M.C. Swag
AG
Just post on a Spurs only thread if you wanna talk trash
Olsen
AG
Olsen
AG
CreedBratton
LOLZ Morris would rather go waste away in NYC than play in San Antonio
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cappo said:

Here you go hoss

Should really have a banner up for the 1996-1997 team that tanked to get Duncan and really made everything else possible.
Guitarsoup
AG
CreedBratton said:

LOLZ Morris would rather go waste away in NYC than play in San Antonio
For an extra $5mm a year, I would play in Aleppo
aggie_fan13
AG
tank for 1 year, successful for two + decades. I make that deal 10/10 times
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
azulAg said:

If you are a Spurs' fan and watched this entire game, you absolutely deserve at least 3 of those titles.

Spurs 64, Cavs 59
aggie_fan13
AG
i was about 11 months old at the time
Guitarsoup
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Cappo said:

Here you go hoss

Should really have a banner up for the 1996-1997 team that tanked to get Duncan and really made everything else possible.

Member when the NBA started the lottery (at the time dubbed the Rocket Rule) because the Rockets openly tanked for Hakeem? I figure you would because the 96 means you are really old.
Olsen
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Olsen said:

Was waiting for this one. Thanks.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Guitarsoup said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Cappo said:

Here you go hoss

Member when the NBA started the lottery (at the time dubbed the Rocket Rule) because the Rockets openly tanked for Hakeem? I figure you would because the 96 means you are really old.
I sure do! And I'm eternally grateful because Hakeem was everything to me growing up. I just like posting that thing about the Spurs tanking because it always gets under at least one fan's skin.
Guitarsoup
AG
Nah, just makes you look foolish. Heck, you even posted the box score of the Spurs beating a team above .500 towards the end of the season.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Nah, just makes you look foolish. Heck, you even posted the box score of the Spurs beating a team above .500 towards the end of the season.
Who is more foolish? The fool or the fool who keeps responding back to him?
Guitarsoup
AG

Hard to believe they can't move that contract.
Olsen
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
azulAg said:

Damn good deal! Hard to believe that any Spurs fan under the age of 30 has no understanding of what a struggling franchise feels like. San Antonio had a great run definitely. Looks like that run is now over...certainly in terms of being a title contender...but was an amazingly long run.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

azulAg said:

Damn good deal! Hard to believe that any Spurs fan under the age of 30 has no understanding of what a struggling franchise feels like. San Antonio had a great run definitely. Looks like that run is now over...certainly in terms of being a title contender...but was an amazingly long run.

I think we can still make some noise and surprise a lot of people. While everyone made a lot of moves there is still something to be said for continuity and player development. Spurs had a realistic chance to make the conference semis without Murray. No one is mentioning the Spurs as a serious threat, which is exactly where they like to be.

To me the biggest question mark for the franchise is the succession of Pop.
Enzo The Baker
AG
FWIW I think a lot of people are overlooking the Warriors too, which seems like an absurd statement until recently.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I think last year was probably a pretty decent reflection of where the Spurs currently are going into next season as well. Bubble playoff team (7 or 8 seed sort of team if they make it).

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-win-totals-betting-odds-2019-2020

In the West alone, here are the 2019-2020 Vegas win totals (PointsBet):

Clippers: 55.5
Jazz: 53.5
Rockets: 52.5
Lakers: 51.5
Nuggets: 51.5
Warriors: 47.5
Spurs: 45.5
Blazers: 45.5
Mavs: 40.5
Pelicans: 39.5
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs should be improved for a number of reasons.

1. Starting PG Dejonte Murray missed the entire season. He was All-Defense the year before.
2. DeRozan has had a full year in Pop's system. It has historically takes a year or two to adjust to it.
3. Rudy Gay another year away from his Achille's injury
4. DeMarre Carroll fills a huge need by being a solid defender/hustle guy as opposed to Bertans that couldn't guard anyone and had to be benched in the playoffs.
5. Derrick White should continue to progress. He received All-Defense votes last year
6. Lonnie Walker looks ready to make an impact. He put up 26/6 on 55% shooting in summer league. He was a leader

At the very least, they shouldn't be worse than last year as they didn't lose any key players but are adding back an elite defensive PG and a solid role player that will probably get some starting time and will likely play about 25mpg as a main rotation member.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.