*****OFFICIAL 2018-2019 Houston Rockets*****

715,541 Views | 9025 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rvk246
3rdGen2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The unis could still be something like this. Just replace the "HR" logo with the new planet one. This is just a rework of the secondary logo, which wasn't on much to start with.
CFTXAG10
AG
Iowaggie
AG
For those that like off-season rumors, from the Miami Herald:

The Heat is expected to check in with Houston on available players (Chris Paul, P.J. Tucker, Eric Gordon) but not sure there's an ideal match there. Memphis' Mike Conley remains among several possibilities.

Johnsy3
AG
n_touch said:

Im just glad they added a basketball. I always got them confused with....nothing else

NBA rules actually stipulate that teams must have a basketball in either their primary or secondary logo. The Rockets, Spurs, and Bulls were grandfathered in when this rule was passed (I think around 09/10). Since we're rebranding we had to include a ball.
CFTXAG10
AG
Iowaggie said:

For those that like off-season rumors, from the Miami Herald:

The Heat is expected to check in with Houston on available players (Chris Paul, P.J. Tucker, Eric Gordon) but not sure there's an ideal match there. Memphis' Mike Conley remains among several possibilities.

Now that Wade is gone they need an aging superstar to carry the torch
n_touch
Did not know that. Thanks
Guitarsoup
AG
I got to talk to PJ Tucker a little last weekend. He said that he and the other guys wanted to run it back with the team together this year and they needed that extra season to gel better - they would have been even stronger this year. This summer needs a big shakeup and he isn't sure it will happen, but he wouldn't elaborate further.
That's all I got for you, but thought I would share.
Aggie09Derek
AG
He drove by me the other day downtown in his Rolls Royce SUV with red rims.

/cool story bro
Nino Brown
It would be best if someone like Tilman wouldn't be so involved in every damn decision.
gordo97
AG
Nino Brown said:

It would be best if someone like Tilman wouldn't be so involved in every damn decision.

I guess when you spend a gadjillion dollars on something, you wanna offer your opinion about a few things
Olsen
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
KD done for a year. Achilles
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

WES2006AG
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Now if we can get Klay to leave as well we might be getting somewhere.
3rdGen2015
AG
WES2006AG said:

Mr.Bond said:

Now if we can get Klay to leave as well we might be getting somewhere.

If anything, this could get KD to opt in to his player option. Rehab for a year with a medical staff that has experience rehabbing an Achilles, come back in April/May, and show he's worth a full max next summer. I just don't know if teams will be willing to give him a 3-4 year max contract this summer now (assuming this is a full tear). It'll certainly be an interesting summer.
Aggie09Derek
AG
There will definitely be teams that will still offer max.
3rdGen2015
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

There will definitely be teams that will still offer max.

Most likely. But the injury drops it from a sure thing to at least a question that can be asked semi-seriously. KD turns 31 in September and guys just aren't the same after this sort of injury.
Wrighty
AG

Quote:

The Celtics are "engaged pretty seriously" in trade discussions for Rockets center Clint Capela. (Steve Kyler, Basketball Insiders)

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/10/nba-rumors-anthony-davis-trade-framework-pelicans
CFTXAG10
AG
According to Cyber over on CF we are interested in bringing Bev back too

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in Morey's office when he's talking to Ainge about what he would like in return
Hickory High
AG
I'm going to remain in the "Clint Capela is a top 5 center in the right system" camp even if it's just me left in it. He dominated in the regular season and in the first round until he contracted those two very serious pathogens. And with those facts in mind, he's on a very attractive contract.

Hope Morey is demanding a high price for him.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hickory High said:

I'm going to remain in the "Clint Capela is a top 5 center in the right system" camp even if it's just me left in it. He dominated in the regular season and in the first round until he contracted those two very serious pathogens. And with those facts in mind, he's on a very attractive contract.

Serious question:

What was the last team to win a championship with a top 5 center?
18 Warriors: Zaza or JaVale
17 Warriors: Zaza
16 Cavs: Tristan Thompson
15 Warriors: Bogut
14 Spurs: Tiago Splitter or Boris Dias
13 Heat: Bosh or Haslem - neither is a center
12 Heat: Bosh or Haslem - neither is a center
11 Mavs: Tyson Chandler - Was he better than Amare, Dwight, Al Jefferson, Pau, Duncan? Tyson averaged 10/9/1 that year
10 Lakers: Andrew Bynum (15/8 line that year)
09 Lakers: Andrew Bynum (14/8 line that year)
08 Celtics: Kendrick Perkins
07 Spurs: Oberto/Elson
06: Heat: Shaq - All-NBA First Team

So you have to go back to 2006 to get an unquestionable top 5 center in the league starting on a title team. You could make arguments about Tyson Chandler and Bynum, I guess.

So assuming Capela is a top 5 center - who cares? He is young, has room for development and many teams overvalue the center position. So if you can get great value for him, you move him. Not sure MDA is the best coach for a player with his skill set anyway. With his youth and contract that isn't terrible, I think a team may be enticed to over pay for him, especially if they believe that he has been held back by MDA's offense and could become a better all-around player in theirs.
Hickory High
AG
That logic is kind of silly. Is he somehow less variable BECAUSE he's a top 5 center? I'm not saying that you can definitely win a championship if he's the guy taking up 15-20% of your cap space, but in terms of his contribution, I'd say he's definitely capable of being the 3rd best player on a championship team.

Outside of Steven Adams, I don't think there's a center in the league with a higher motor, has better hands, or runs rim-to-rim better than Clint. I understand most of the recent championship teams HAVEN'T had a center was one of their top guys, but that doesn't directly mean you CAN'T.
Guitarsoup
AG
No, I am saying that

1. Teams tend to overvalue centers, historically
2. When a player or position is overvalued, you can often get on the better side of a trade
3. Over the last decade and a half, Championships have been won by teams with elite wings, not elite centers. Shaq in 2002 was the last true center to win the Finals MVP.
4. MDA's system probably isn't the best for a post playing center.
5. Teams that think that their system or coach would be better suited to a physical, talented center like Capela might further overvalue him by thinking he will take the leap in their system by getting out of MDA's system.
6. Capela is young and has a team-favorable contract, both things that help his trade value.

There are a lot of reasons that Capela may be worth more on the trade market than he is to the Rockets, even if he is a top 5 center in the league right now. So the Rockets may get a very favorable trade offer for him because of those reasons.
AG@RICE
AG
Hickory High said:

I'm sure there needs to be a solid wing included, but I'd sure like to see if we can't get the Time Lord as a throw in. He could probably match Clint's output in MDA's system and provide better rebounding. He obviously needs to improve this summer, but kid has crazy potential.
WES2006AG
AG
Hickory High said:

I agree. Morey seems to be shopping everybody but if they are trading Clint based on how he performed after getting sick that seems like an overreaction.

He just fits our system so well right now.
Hickory High
AG
Fair enough. I'd contest #4 though. Clint isn't a back-to-the-basket center at all. The system he's in now is the ideal system for him, which (to potentially contradict myself here) makes him look even better than he would be elsewhere.
lil99chris
AG
Capela had some pretty rough games at the beginning the season. How much of an impact did Jeff Bzdelik on Capela improving over the season?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/capelca01/gamelog/2019
Guitarsoup
AG
Hickory High said:

Fair enough. I'd contest #4 though. Clint isn't a back-to-the-basket center at all. The system he's in now is the ideal system for him, which (to potentially contradict myself here) makes him look even better than he would be elsewhere.
He doesn't post up like the Ewings of old, but he also isn't ever taking shots outside about 8 feet.
AG@RICE
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Hickory High said:

He doesn't post up like the Ewings of old, but he also isn't ever taking shots outside about 8 feet.

He really only scores on assisted dunks or layups, so his offensive game may be limited to PnR. I also don't think he could be a viable post up center, if such a thing even exists in the modern NBA. He lacks strength and can't shoot or really dribble so a team like Houston is the ideal fit for Clint on the offensive end.

His real value is on the defensive end. He has tons of room to grow as a defender, but his greatest flaw is that he is not consistently aggressive or dominating. Some games he would grab 15 rebounds, others 5. Same for his rim protection. When he plays the Jazz he is a brick wall (probably due to the one dimensional nature of the Jazz's offense), but against most good offensive teams he provides little weakside support. I'm not sure if you can teach aggressiveness, but he desperately needs to get stronger and more physical.

Trading him might not make the Rockets better, but you have to explore the option.
Poot
Robert Williams could do what Capela does on offense... and maybe better. Obviously he needs a ton of seasoning, but so did Capela.

Defense...? Capela definitely had some great games on that end, and Williams hasn't done it in The League yet, but I think he'd be intriguing to say the least.

I'd really like a deal involving him as a piece of the deal.
Hickory High
AG
Poot said:

Robert Williams could do what Capela does on offense... and maybe better. Obviously he needs a ton of seasoning, but so did Capela.

Defense...? Capela definitely had some great games on that end, and Williams hasn't done it in The League yet, but I think he'd be intriguing to say the least.

Is this a troll post?
AG@RICE
AG
Hickory High said:

Poot said:

Is this a troll post?

Why? All he does is set screens and dunk. If you get a good player plus RW for Capella it could be a win.
ATM9000
AG
Poot said:

Hahahaha I always like this trope in sport. He's big and athletic too! No reason he can't be Clint Capela!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
"All Shaq is does is be huge and dunk. Let's draft Eddy Curry."
AG@RICE
AG
I get that comparing a polished Capella to a raw RW is a bit of a stretch, but comparing Capella to Shaq is laughable.
lil99chris
AG
Congrats to Kyle Lowry

...and of course, Jeremy Lin.

First Page Last Page
Page 230 of 258

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.