Lebron in this year's playoffs

18,955 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Seven Costanza
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tmaggie50 said:

The one thing I disagree with is that I do think you can talk bad about Lebrons teammates. Even though he may have had a hand in picking most of them, this isn't an argument of whose the better GM.

... although an argument over who is the better (worse) GM would actually be kind of interesting.
tmaggie50
AG
Ulrich said:

tmaggie50 said:

The one thing I disagree with is that I do think you can talk bad about Lebrons teammates. Even though he may have had a hand in picking most of them, this isn't an argument of whose the better GM.

... although an argument over who is the better (worse) GM would actually be kind of interesting.

Haha. I'd have to say they are equally as bad.
claym711
AG
It's blatently obvious that those trying to make an argument for Lebron over Jordan were either not born, or were children during Jordan's run.

There is no argument that can be made for Lebron at this point. My previous post makes that quite obvious, despite the lame attempt to cherry pick one point and thereby invalidate the point.

There is no argument for Lebron right now. Only excuses.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
claym711 said:

It's blatently obvious that those trying to make an argument for Lebron over Jordan were either not born, or were children during Jordan's run.

There is no argument that can be made for Lebron at this point. My previous post makes that quite obvious, despite the lame attempt to cherry pick one point and thereby invalidate the point.

There is no argument for Lebron right now. Only excuses.
You're calling people out for cherry picking, but in your post you are referencing, you included:

1. PER as the primary metric despite PER shortchanging defensive contributions. If you're using that to boost the argument for Pippen not being as good as LeBron's teammates, just know that David Lee, Kemba Walker, Sam Cassell, etc. all have a higher PER than Scottie Pippen.

2. You forgot to include Phil Jackson. LeBron has had six different coaches.

3. You included college accomplishments. May be mistaken here, but I don't remember LeBron going to college.

4. You included "iconic" moments. If the internet existed back then or if Jordan played today, for better or worse, you'd better believe that some of those moments would have been lost in and diluted by the news cycle. If LeBron played from 1984 to 1998 with only NBC, Nike, and Marv Albert to play up any one of his career moments, we'd be seeing it in our sleep. Instead, LeBron's moments gets some retweets and likes, and then we wait for the next game where he does something equally amazing and we rinse/repeat.
Pumpkinhead
AG
There should be a rule on the Jordan vs LeBron debate that you must be at least 35 years or older to participate. Or, if younger than 35, you must submit proof that you have watched at least 100 hours of Jordan games and highlights on YouTube.
claym711
AG
So your best argument For Lebron is that he has had, in your opinion, inferior coaches, all of which were essentially hand picked by Lebron himself. An excuse, like I said. There is no argument for Lebron, only IFs and BUTs.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
You telling me that Michael Jordan had no say in what his roster looked like? He kept a guy off the ****ing Olympic team.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

There should be a rule on the Jordan vs LeBron debate that you must be at least 35 years or older to participate. Or, if younger than 35, you must submit proof that you have watched at least 100 hours of Jordan games and highlights on YouTube.
Here's Jordan dunking on that vaunted 80's NBA defense. I heard it was war every night.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Can you imagine LeBron going up against this kind of suffocating defense?

claym711
AG
Care to make 1 argument for Lebron instead of an IF or a BUT? Do you have at least one?
Know Your Enemy
AG
LeBron is Pippen on steroids. Probably the #2 player of all time. But Jordan is the GOAT.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
claym711 said:

Care to make 1 argument for Lebron instead of an IF or a BUT? Do you have at least one?
They're around. To lazy to link to the other threads. Have to throw some chicken on the grill in a little bit.

But my first three counterpoints to your post weren't ifs/buts. They're facts; facts which show you cherry picked your arguments while accusing other people of cherry picking. The last counterpoint was you listing "iconic" moments (LOL) as a reason. Vince Carter has a ton of iconic moments. So does Allen Iverson. And Jason Williams. And so does...you get my point.

Anyways, this is my last post today. Go Rockets. Happy Memorial Day, y'all.
claym711
AG
I would concede defeat as well
HossAg
AG
I don't understand how you can just act like this isn't even an argument. It's obvious that Lebron is absolutely incredible, as was MJ. The fact that MJ's one team he was on was able to do very well without him when he left shows that he wasn't the sole factor in them winning their championships, so championships argument needs to be thrown out in my opinion. Scoring accomplishments also need to be ignored due to the very different roles they play. Lebron does everything, MJ scored.

Lebron has played in 8 straight NBA finals with various teams, various coaches, all of which have gone to **** immediately after he left. It is obvious that he has the capability to take almost any team to the finals, and it seems that he's not even close to being done at the age of 33. He still probably has a good 6-7 years left, and I'm sure the argument will shift even more in his favor during that time. I think it's silly to just act like he shouldn't be considered for GOAT status. He's incredible, and, while I'm not a huge fan of his antics at times, it's undeniable that he's a force.

You don't like if and but arguments, but there is no way you can honestly tell me that, if you switched MJ and Lebron's roles, you think MJ would be able to do the same with Lebron's teams that Lebron did. Because he couldn't. Because he's not Lebron.
tmaggie50
AG
For the great scorer Jordan was, Lebron has been better percentage wise in both fg and 3 pointers. Jordan has scored more, because as Pippin would say, that's all they asked of him. Lebron has proven he can score at will in this league the same way Jordan could. Lebron is asked and is better suited to play a different style, which has resulted him in having better rebounding and assist statistics than MJ. So Lebron is a more effective scorer and has better assist and rebound stats than Mj. He's also maintained his peak level for longer than Mj. Hell, Lebron is still at his peak in year 15.

In Jordan's last year with the bulls, every statistic was down, points, percentages, steals, boards, assists, etc. that was year 13. Lebron is in year 15 and is having statistically his best year yet.

I'm fine with saying neither is better than the other, but there is nothing that would lead me to believe that Jordan is better. If you point to the rings, then I guess we will just agree Wilt is the GOAT and Robert Horry is in the discussion.
claym711
AG
You were doing so well until that last straw man.

It's stats, rings, and accolades. Taken all together, MJ was better.

There are individual statistical fields in which Lebron has been better thus far, but PER takes care of all offensive categories, and Jordan was a DPOY and perennial first team all defense.
tmaggie50
AG
claym711 said:

There are individual statistical fields in which Lebron has been better thus far, but PER takes care of all offensive categories, and Jordan was a DPOY and perennial first team all defense.

"Accolades" and "iconic moments" mean nothing. Lebron has been the most valuable player in the league for his entire career, I don't care how many MVP trophy's he has. The same can almost be said for Jordan. He certainly wasn't the MVP in only 5 seasons, or he had a really short window of greatness.

Accolades are voted on by sportswriters. How many games a year do you think sportswriters from around the country were even able to see Jordan play? Again, chalk this up to your "iconic moments" debate.

For someone with such an almighty knowledge of what a good argumentative point is, you sure make some pretty flimsy ones.
Know Your Enemy
AG
When did LeBron win DPOY?
claym711
AG
tmaggie50 said:

claym711 said:

Accolades are voted on by sportswriters. How many games a year do you think sportswriters from around the country were even able to see Jordan play? Again, chalk this up to your "iconic moments" debate

How many sports writers watched Jordan's games.......when were you born man?

But maybe you're right, MVPs and Finals MVPs and DPOYs don't matter....neither do clutch performances and game winning shots....

All that matters is statistics and rings, eh?

Or is it just stats? Maybe only rebounds and assists per game? Or maybe only the coaches or teammates Lebron didn't have? What can we narrow this down to in order to justify saying Lebron is better, or even close?
ATM9000
AG
claym711 said:

I guarantee you everybody on this thread (including you) weren't adults during Jordan's run.

If you are going by accolades and winning, it is hard to argue against Jordan. I think the argument that 90's fanboys (similar to me being 37 now) will never admit to that is in Lebrons favor is straight up the league is way better now than it was in the 90's. More game changing players, faster offenses and defenses and frankly just way more guys who take general taking care of their bodies and basketball way more seriously than dudes in the 90's did. There were literal fat guys like Oliver Miller and Stanley Roberts who made 10 year careers in the league in the league. Those guys wouldn't make it through their rookie contracts today.
Serotonin
AG
I grew up watching Jordan and the nba religiously starting in '87. Had multiple Jordan/Bulls shirts and read The Jordan Rules as a kid.

I'll take Lebron 10/10 times. Players are faster and stronger today, and better at shooting the ball. Lebron would've destroyed defenders back then.

Unless you think that the quality of basketball has gone down in two decades.
HossAg
AG
That's one of the points I missed earlier. The quality of athletes and the training that is available to them has created a much more skilled environment where it's hard to get to the top. It's not like the quality of athletes has gone down over the years. Technology, athletes, knowledge, etc., only improve over time.
Bones08
AG
Everyone arguing over who the better basketball player is and I'm curious who the better baseball player would be...

...give me LeBron.
Mike Elko
AG
1. MJ
1a. LBJ... With time to move up.

Different eras, so nearly impossible to compare. MJ made the NBA. He also made future players want to be him. LBJ has been the best player on the planet since he took the floor his first game. This season has been his greatest achievement, regardless of what happens in the Finals.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gator03 said:

I grew up watching Jordan and the nba religiously starting in '87. Had multiple Jordan/Bulls shirts and read The Jordan Rules as a kid.

I'll take Lebron 10/10 times. Players are faster and stronger today, and better at shooting the ball. Lebron would've destroyed defenders back then.

Unless you think that the quality of basketball has gone down in two decades.

As a guy that owned the first pair of Air Jordans when they came out, I can't say I disagree with this.
C Loves L
drewbie08 said:

If both Jordan and LeBron were available in the same draft, which one do you pick as your franchise player?

Lebron

He can play and dominate as a PG, SG, and SF
DrZ
AG
I am old.
I have claimed it was MJ for a long time. I was wrong. That does not impact who MJ was in the history of the game. James is a better player. Some day there will be a guy better than him. It happens.

I thought there would never be a better QB than Montana. I was wrong about that as well.
Goose
AG
48 year old chiming in:

Lebron James has the better tools without question. The only real advantage I can see MJ having is quickness, but that's more a result of Lebron being 2" taller and 50lbs heavier. And even with that being the case, Lebron is freakishly quick for his size. Adding in the aforementioned additional height and weight, Lebron is easily a more complete player than MJ when it comes to shooting, finishing, rebounding, passing, etc. Added to that, Lebron's jump straight to the NBA from HS should add a few years during his prime to an already excellent career. But with all the physical attributes Lebron brought into the league even from day one, the question that always lingered was is he as competitive as Jordan and will his motivation and determination make him play at such a high level long enough to put him into the as-good-as or better-than Jordan conversation some day. The longer he plays, the more convinced I'm becoming that Lebron may be the best to ever play...so far anyways.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think there was a time in his first run in Cle and early in his Miami days where the mental toughness was not there. But I think that Dallas series in 2011 sent a shock to his system and woke up a mentally tough player. In a very different way, but a little bit like adversity vs. Detroit teams toughened up Jordan and the Bulls. That 2016 series vs. Golden St was huge toward changing my assessment of him. And this year's team just reinforces that change.
Dr. Tinkle
Ag12thman said:

I think he'll finish the best ever when he's done. And this is coming from someone who grew up loving and following every single game MJ played. MJ has more rings and I'm one of those that still say he's not reached MJ heights yet. But with each passing year LeBron wows me more and more. I think, if he plays long enough, he'll be regarded as the best to ever play the game. In many people's minds he already is, I bet.
Man I will give ALL props to Lebron because he is unlike any other player to ever play as far as his athletic ability. HOWEVER, the one thing I will always say about comparing MJ to Lebron is that Michael had to do it every year against much better competition AND the rules were different now where people could mug Michael going to the basket. You touch Lebron and he gets the benefit of the whistle. MJ had to go through a tougher road to the finals than Lebron ever has. The East has been weak for a while. Again, no doubt Lebron is the MVP and could be every year like MJ could have been. I just think that MJ had a harder road every year and rules were different.
Ag12thman
AG
I agree with all of your points. I still think MJ was the best ever to this point, especially given the number of rings he won versus the number of rings LeBron has. I mainly was trying to state how much LeBron has impressed me -- really with each passing playoff series he plays in. Every year he just keeps getting to the finals. Now, if he starts winning more of them, we'll have a bit of a different discussion. A good start would be beating the Warriors, which I will be pulling hard for him to do (as I can't stand them).

To me, it's clearly still...

1. Jordan
2. James
Whoever #3 is.
Bones08
AG
Dr. Tinkle said:

Ag12thman said:

I think he'll finish the best ever when he's done. And this is coming from someone who grew up loving and following every single game MJ played. MJ has more rings and I'm one of those that still say he's not reached MJ heights yet. But with each passing year LeBron wows me more and more. I think, if he plays long enough, he'll be regarded as the best to ever play the game. In many people's minds he already is, I bet.
Man I will give ALL props to Lebron because he is unlike any other player to ever play as far as his athletic ability. HOWEVER, the one thing I will always say about comparing MJ to Lebron is that Michael had to do it every year against much better competition AND the rules were different now where people could mug Michael going to the basket. You touch Lebron and he gets the benefit of the whistle. MJ had to go through a tougher road to the finals than Lebron ever has. The East has been weak for a while. Again, no doubt Lebron is the MVP and could be every year like MJ could have been. I just think that MJ had a harder road every year and rules were different.
To really take this conversation into even more worn out territory...

1) The most impressive series win for either of the two is when LeBron took down the 2016 Warriors, right? Down 3-1, against a 73-win team.
2) Could a Bulls team from the 90s also take down the 2016 Golden State Warriors?

...And around and around we go.

Edit: I'll also point out that Jordan never lost to a team like the 2011 Mavericks, and I say this as a Mavericks fan.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hate seeing the argument for James that he was a better three point shooter.
* James is marginally better over his career
* The three-pointer was substantially less important when Jordan played as it is now. For instance, Larry Bird led the league in three point attempts once. This year, 155 different players had more 3-point attempts than Bird did that year. The league was just more about points in the paint then and Jordan was an elite post-up player. If Jordan was born 25 years later, I have no doubt that he would be a 40% 3-point shooter. Just like if Bron had plays in the 80s and 90s, he would see a lot more back to the basket post ups in his game.
Goose
AG
Funny story regarding Lebron being "the next Michael Jordan"...

First time I'd ever heard of Lebron James was either 2001 or 2002 when his AAU team came to town to play in the Kingwood Classic. At the time I was working in an office in Clear Lake and our UPS delivery guy of all people (originally from Akron, OH as it turns out) used to come by our office last stop everyday because he wanted to flirt with one of the girls in the office. One Friday I asked him what he had going on that weekend and he said he was all excited to go to the Kingwood Classic that weekend and see "this kid from Akron who's supposed to be the next Michael Jordan." Or at least that's what is buddies back in Akron were telling him. Having heard-about at least 2 dozen other "next Michael Jordan" type guys in the previous 10-12 years, I let him talk and all but thought, whatever dude....Joke's on me I guess.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I was in high school when I first heard about him (same age) and I remember the hype like it was yesterday. I think sophomore year was when the buzz started to get big. In between McGrady and LeBron, there were a few high school guys that got a lot of buzz, but fizzled out or didn't live up to expectations. DerMarr Johnson, Korleone Young, Tyson Chandler, Lenny Cooke, etc.

I think around that time, the two high schoolers with the most hype were LeBron and Sebastian Telfair. Then when that SI cover came out, it was a wrap. This quote especially sent things into a frenzy:

"There are only four or five players in the NBA that I wouldn't trade to get LeBron right now," says former Phoenix Suns coach Danny Ainge.

Keep in mind this was spring 2002, so we're talking prime or early prime Shaquille O'Neal, Jason Kidd, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, Kevin Garnett, etc. Didn't think it was possible for him to live up to the hype, but here we are. Talking about if he's better than Michael Jordan or not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.