2017 Off Season moves

36,383 Views | 394 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
Olsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

aggie_fan13
AG
what does this mean for our chances of getting kyrie ?
HossAg
AG
They're probably more willing to take a ****ty deal now that they have a point guard, so it probably doesn't hurt them.
Pumpkinhead
AG
azulAg said:

what does this mean for our chances of getting kyrie ?
There are apparently at least a dozen teams showing interest in Irving per more recent info, and somebody is going to be able to offer a lot more attractive package than what San Antonio can offer.

Kyrie putting Spurs in his top 4 desired destinations doesn't matter. The Cavs have all of the control on where they trade him.
Iowaggie
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Two weeks ago, a guy put together a collection of what Derrick Rose would look like on any of the 30 teams.
Well done, but I guess it is all put to rest now.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Zach Lowe running through his take on all the possible trades for Irving.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20144300/zach-lowe-kyrie-irving-cleveland-cavaliers-potential-trades-nba
Guitarsoup
AG
CactusThomas
AG
Experts are speculating that LeBron is lowkey using the Cleveland Cavs as a "proving ground" of sorts to assemble and develop chemistry on a new big3 team that he will start in 2019. Starting with DRose.
Guitarsoup
AG

Brooklyn gonna Brooklyn.

Portland going to cut/stretch Nicholson.
Guitarsoup
AG
Phoenix point guard Brandon Knight tore his ACL and is done for the season
CFTXAG10
AG
Aaron Afflalo to Magic on a 1-yr deal
Guitarsoup
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Aaron Afflalo to Magic on a 1-yr deal
Hey Juice, remember when we said you were in our plans to be a starter for the Magic? LOL JK.
Iowaggie
AG
Olsen
AG

WES2006AG
AG
This seems like a win-win. Based on the fact that Kyrie is currently unhappy I would do this deal if I were either team.

Edit: I replied to the wrong person.
CFTXAG10
AG
Bunk Moreland
Woah. Cleveland did real well there imo.
Olsen
Deputy Travis Junior
On the surface it looks like Cleveland crushed it. Thomas is an offensive dynamo who can't play defense (much like Irving), but he's playing on 1/4 the salary. Throw in a top 3-4 pick + a rock solid role player in Crowder and that's a ton of mileage for one guy.
bam02
AG
Yeah Boston gave up too much!
Pumpkinhead
AG
This is a win-win-win for the Celtics, Cavs, and NBA fans.

For specifically next season, Cavs more or less replaced Irvings scoring plus added a solid piece in Crowder. They are still the team to beat in the East next year. Plus they got a first round draft pick to help with rebuild if LeBron takes off after next year.

Meanwhile the Celtics replaced Thomas with a guy who can score just as good, but is several inches taller and 3 years younger. And not coming off a hip surgery. Irving is an upgrade over Isiah Thomas in almost every aspect. And they avoided getting backed into a corner having to give a max contract in a year to a 5'9" guard with hip injury history and who despite the scoring is literally one of the worst defenders in the league. Kyrie Irving + Gordon Hayward + Al Horford is a solid nucleus. Plus several other good role player pieces on team like Marcus Smart, Marcus Morris, Jaylen Brown, and Jayson Tatum. And an excellent coach in Brad Stevens.

And for NBA fans...a Celtics vs. Cavs NBA East Finals would be an extremely compelling matchup with lots of Kyrie vs. LeBron juice.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Bill Simmons Celtics superfan...can't wait to hear him opine about this on his podcast.
Obi Wan Ginobili
I can't believe Boston gave up that Brooklyn pick. Should be a good draft next summer, too.

They essentially just used a number one pick to get Kyrie. Not a bad deal considering he is only 25. I wonder if Boston can hold on to all three guys.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Wow that Brooklyn pick too??!! WTF
Pumpkinhead
AG
NBA opening night schedule. Looks like a couple of really good back-to-back games to fill an evening. I see some TNT in my future on October 17th.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
Btron
AG
All all saying Clevland winning this trade, that is true. But there is no way Isiah and Derrick Rose are going to stop or slow down Klay/Steph. Which is ultimately what Cavs need to do is figure out how to beat GSW
CactusThomas
AG
Hate this trade. Kyrie is Vince Young stupid.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
rvk246
AG
Cleveland got an all star, solid starter, and likely the first overall pick for next year's draft. Out of all the moves he could've made, Ainge might have settled for the worst.
Bunk Moreland
rvk246 said:

Cleveland got an all star, solid starter, and likely the first overall pick for next year's draft. Out of all the moves he could've made, Ainge might have settled for the worst.

The one thing I'll say for Boston is that they have had so many tools and pieces to make moves, so they could afford it. They now have a nucleus of 5 or 6 guys under 26 that could become an incredible team for years to come.

But, that is still a gamble if LeBron stays in the east. If he does, they probably have up too much imo. Thomas is coming off a big injury, but if that Brooklyn pick turns into gold for Cleveland & LBJ stays, it is really intriguing.
rvk246
AG
Agreed, but it's not worth giving up a draft pick that high in a loaded draft unless you're getting a top ten player IMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.