2017 Off Season moves

36,283 Views | 394 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
GCP12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
rvk246 said:

Agreed, but it's not worth giving up a draft pick that high in a loaded draft unless you're getting a top ten player IMO.
Boston this off-season:

Lost:

Isaiah Thomas (5'9", 28 years old All-Star, coming off hip injury, asking for max contract next season)

Avery Bradley (26 years old, good starting quality 6'2" shooting guard)

Jae Crowder (27 years old, good role player quality wing)

2018 unprotected Nets pick (probably end up being somewhere from 1-10ish, Nets don't have a pick next season so don't have any incentive to tank and play in a bad East)

Gained:

Kyrie Irving (6'3", 25 years old All-Star, Top-15ish player in league, poor defender but considered possible best one-on-one player in NBA, 2 years left on contract)

Gordon Hayward (27 years old, 6'8" All-Star quality wing)

Marcus Morris (27 years old, 6'9" power forward type)

Jayson Tatum (19 year old #3 draft pick, 6'8" already very polished scorer)

Overall, I think Boston probably improved and positioned themselves with a core roster that can succeed in the East as the LeBron era begins its ending phase.
Enzo The Baker
AG
rvk246 said:

Agreed, but it's not worth giving up a draft pick that high in a loaded draft unless you're getting a top ten player IMO.

The NBA shift in the offseason created a bunch of crappy teams next year. You're going to see a lot of teams with first rounders trying to tank. There's no guarantee that Brooklyn will get a high lottery pick, especially with an improved roster.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

rvk246 said:

The NBA shift in the offseason created a bunch of crappy teams next year. You're going to see a lot of teams with first rounders trying to tank. There's no guarantee that Brooklyn will get a high lottery pick, especially with an improved roster.
Yeah, that Nets pick could certainly end up in the 5-10 range, and if that is how things play out then absolutely a 25 year old Kyrie Irving (who despite his defensive flaws is a legit proven star- guys who can drop 40 points in NBA playoff games don't grow on trees) is a much better bet than whoever you would land with a pick in that range.

Not saying the trade to Cleveland was the most wonderful trade in history of NBA, but it still was a 'good' trade...even with the Nets pick thrown in there.
Obi Wan Ginobili
You did have to wonder what the hell Ainge was doing hoarding all those picks and not trading any of them.

I feel like the Brooklyn pick was just a smidge too much, but it's not like the coffers are empty. Boston still has a ton of picks the next two years.
CFTXAG10
AG
After sleeping on it I like the trade for both teams

Cavs:
Isaiah Thomas
Jae Crowder
Derrick Rose
JR Smith
Lebron James
Kevin Love
Tristan Thompson
Kyle Korver

Lebron James inherits a point guard who is pretty dynamic on offense but not a good defender (sound familiar?). He also gets a solid role player in Crowder. One more run in his hometown before he tests free agency.

Celtics:
Kyrie Irving
Gordon Hayward
Al Horford
Jaylen Brown
Jayson Tatum
Marcus Smart
Marcus Morris

Excited to see what Brad Stevens can do with the 3-headed monster of Irving-Hayward-Horford. Stay healthy and its almost a lock for a Celtics-Cavs ECF
Frok
AG
As a fan of neither team I love it. I'm hoping they square off in the Eastern Conference Finals.
WES2006AG
AG
Frok said:

As a fan of neither team I love it. I'm hoping they square off in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Agreed. The East is still going to be mainly unwatchable but this move injected a hint of life in to the East for this year.
rvk246
AG
CLE will still beat BOS in 5 games. Kyrie can shoot and score well, but his passing and defense are very mediocre. Also, horford is not worth 28 million annually.
CactusThomas
AG
rvk246 said:

CLE will still beat BOS in 5 games. Kyrie can shoot and score well, but his passing and defense are very mediocre. Also, horford is not worth 28 million annually.

And what about next year when LeBron is in LA?
Deputy Travis Junior
Cleveland has wrangled a 2020 2nd round pick out of Boston to complete the deal (should be a borderline useless pick and it's 3 years away, but still).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.