2017 Off Season moves

36,202 Views | 394 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boston kicks it off by trading down to 3 with Philly
Olsen
AG
Wow! They didn't want to wait until Monday to pull this off!

KatyAg94
AG
Ainge and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Trade

CactusThomas
AG
You're a fool. He knows what he's doing.
KatyAg94
AG
The whole point of collecting assets is to get a shot at drafting a superstar. The Celtics finally had that chance, and it sounds like they blew it. Even if they trade the newly acquired picks for someone like Jimmy Butler or Paul George, the Celtics still aren't good enough to beat the Cavs or Warriors. A team built around Jaylen Brown. Fultz, and the 2018 Nets pick could be a championship contender. I just don't see the point of cashing in all the organization's assets in order to continue to finish 2nd in the East every year.
ATM9000
AG
Uhhh... they are moving down to 3, not moving out of the draft...
KatyAg94
AG
And by moving down, they're giving up a player who is considered by many to be a generational talent. Who are they going to pick instead? Ball can't play defense and has terrible mechanics. Jackson is a great athlete and defender who can't shoot, and the Celtics already have Brown and Smart to fill that role. Fox won't get minutes since he would be stuck behind Thomas, Smart, and Rozier. Isaac is a huge gamble. It seemed like the Celtics were planning to build for the era after Lebron through the draft while remaining competitive by signing players like Gordon Hayword, and Fultz fit that timeline perfectly.
Deputy Travis Junior
Ted Heydinger said:

The whole point of collecting assets is to get a shot at drafting a superstar. The Celtics finally had that chance, and it sounds like they blew it. Even if they trade the newly acquired picks for someone like Jimmy Butler or Paul George, the Celtics still aren't good enough to beat the Cavs or Warriors. A team built around Jaylen Brown. Fultz, and the 2018 Nets pick could be a championship contender. I just don't see the point of cashing in all the organization's assets in order to continue to finish 2nd in the East every year.

Aiming to contend for the 2020 championship isn't a bad strategy. LeBron has 1-2 more years of elite play left. He'll turn 33 this season, and has logged staggering minutes over his career. The wheels will fall off eventually. As for The Warriors, they are a freak contract + cap increase accident that will take a big step back in 2 years when they have to start paying their players what they're worth. But for now there's no point trying to make moves to compete with them because you cannot repeat the circumstances.

Maybe Fultz was the best was to compete for a title in 2020, but there are other great prospects in this draft, and their weaknesses (such as an ugly shot) might be correctable.
QBCade
AG
Eh, IMO the draft is a total crap shoot and if you can get more picks to either: 1. get more chances or 2. Trade for known good players , you're better off.
ATM9000
AG
Ted Heydinger said:

And by moving down, they're giving up a player who is considered by many to be a generational talent. Who are they going to pick instead? Ball can't play defense and has terrible mechanics. Jackson is a great athlete and defender who can't shoot, and the Celtics already have Brown and Smart to fill that role. Fox won't get minutes since he would be stuck behind Thomas, Smart, and Rozier. Isaac is a huge gamble. It seemed like the Celtics were planning to build for the era after Lebron through the draft while remaining competitive by signing players like Gordon Hayword, and Fultz fit that timeline perfectly.

Generational talent is somebody like Lebron or Tim Duncan or Anthony Davis... guys who everyone basically knows are going to step on the floor and be pretty damn close to a top 20 player in the league and best player on the team day 1. Markelle Fultz is a really really good prospect and highly likely to be a top notch player quickly... but sure thing he is not... he's not a generational talent. Fultz is the best prospect over Fox, Ball or Jackson or Tatum... he's not miles ahead of them though.

I think the Celtics end game here is they really really want some elite front court players... Stevens sort of already has what he needs in his backcourt and I'm not sure they think Fultz presents an immediate and obvious upgrade to their rotation there. Eventually, he could be elite... immediately a lot of people think he won't be though.
Olsen
AG
PG13 plans to be a free agent and prefers to go to the Lakers.

Bulldog73
AG
Who's the generational player in this draft? It seemed like there isn't a solid one from what little I'd seen. Also what else do they get? Next year's one? That'd be a steal.
PatAg
AG
Ted Heydinger said:

You should probably consider getting your resume ready if this is an example of your insight into sports.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Generational talent. Hyperbole Queen here, folks.
KatyAg94
AG
Y'all are right "generational talent" was a little strong, but I think Fultz can contribute right away and he is the best bet to become a superstar. He would also give the Celtics some flexibility in 2018 when Thomas and Bradley's contracts are up. I'm surprised that Ainge would let a player like that go for the 3rd pick and a 2018 protected pick.
s13fenton
Ted Heydinger said:

Y'all are right "generational talent" was a little strong, but I think Fultz can contribute right away and he is the best bet to become a superstar. He would also give the Celtics some flexibility in 2018 when Thomas and Bradley's contracts are up. I'm surprised that Ainge would let a player like that go for the 3rd pick and a 2018 protected pick.
The talent gap between Fultz and Ball/Jackson is not very large. They're getting an equally talented player while also acquiring more high draft picks. The Celtics are positioning themselves very well for the future.
Guitarsoup
AG
For me it all hinges on what the protections are. A Lakers first-round pick and a King's first round pick are pretty valuable assets
Obi Wan Ginobili
For the record, I think Paul George is a dick for being so public about his plans to leave and where he thinks he is going.

If he had gone to the front office in confidence, and told them "hey, I'm out of here next summer", they would have kept some of the leverage they had in trade talks.

Now, the Lakers, who had no chance at competing this season, get to draft and go through free agency planning ahead knowing they will have an all-NBA 3/4 combo coming to town.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Guitarsoup said:

For me it all hinges on what the protections are. A Lakers first-round pick and a King's first round pick are pretty valuable assets

It's the Lakers pick next season if it is 2-5, or the Kings pick in 2019, unprotected.

It's a great trade for Boston, especially. The Lakers will likely suck again this year, so that 2-5 pick is possible. If they wind up with PG13 this year, they are a borderline playoff team, so the pick turns into a 2019 Kings pick, which will inevitably be worth more because the Kings suck, now and forever.
Guitarsoup
AG
If the Lakers 2018 pick falls between 2 & 5, the Celtics get it. If it is #1 or 6 or later, Boston gets the Kings' pick in 2019, unprotected.

So they don't get both picks.

Boston has 8 first round picks in the next 3 years.

2017:
#3 & 17

2018:
Brooklyn's
LA Lakers'
Boston's

2019:
LA Clippers'
Memphis' (1-8 protected, 1-6 protected in 2020, unprotected in 2021)
Boston's

That's a pretty nice set up, especially when they already have a solid foundation and some cap space.
TexagChris17
AG
At least he will have a good core around him if the Lakers play it right, but still not something he should disclose to the public so early.
Enzo The Baker
AG
From what I understood George or his agent notified the Pacers, and the Pacers already started calling around the league for offers on the weekend. It's not something that's typically done with a year left on your contract. But if he knows 100% he's leaving, at least it gives Indiana a chance to get something in return to rent him out for the year. I don't see many free agents lining up to play with the Pacers after he bails next year. I don't blame him.

Edit:

I'll also add that it was important to let them know early in case Indiana is able to make a deal for some lottery picks.
Enzo The Baker
AG
But if for some reason George isn't moved before the beginning of next season, then that could be a really awkward position for George and the Pacers. But I don't think it would come to that. The Pacers are apparently working feverishly to move him.
jeffdjohnson
It is impossible to know who won the BOS/PHI trade for at least 2 years. It is possible that whoever the Celtics pick number 3 becomes the best player in the draft. It is also possible that BOS just gave PHI the future best player in the East. One thing is for sure, that was a gutsy move by Ainge. I would be too risk averse to pull the trigger.
Olsen
AG

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Around lunch time, the Cavs were making moves to get either Paul George or Jimmy Butler.

Before dinner, Dan Gilbert fires his GM without consulting LeBron.

Cavs gonna Cav, I guess.
Ulrich
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Around lunch time, the Cavs were making moves to get either Paul George or Jimmy Butler.

Before dinner, Dan Gilbert fires his GM without consulting LeBron.

Cavs gonna Cav, I guess.

The city of Cleveland with LeBron is still Cleveland.
CFTXAG10
AG
Cleveland NBA News Yesterday
-working on deal for PG13
-working on deal for Jimmy Butler
-could be Lebrons last year
-fire GM, cannot agree on direction of team
-talks of trading Kyrie now that Griffin is gone

WTH
CFTXAG10
AG
I also saw a rumor swirling around that the Sixers and Bulls were talking about a trade of the #3 pick for Butler before Philly traded up for the #1 pick. I wonder if Boston is still interested in Butler and would take him now in exchange for the third pick.
claym711
AG
Is Billips as big a WTF hire as it seems?
CFTXAG10
AG
Olsen
AG
So the Lakers are drafting Lonzo Ball with their 2nd pick in the draft.
aggie_fan13
AG
Why would anybody want an injury prone average player like Lopez ?
Guitarsoup
AG
Because Lopez comes off the books next summer when Paul George is a free agent and Russell and Mozgov cost 23mm next year.
flashplayer
AG
Yeah Lakers won that trade. Russell is a bottom half PG long term and Mozgov was an atrocious deal. They rent Lopez 1 year and can even trade his expiring contract for a better talent in the best case scenario

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.