Lonzo Ball

10,929 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PooDoo
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At one point I felt bad because I figured his dad was just being an idiot. But to release a pair of $495 shoes makes it seem like he may be a DBag as well. I have to wonder if his dad and his own antics have hurt his draft slot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2707881.amp.html
CFTXAG10
AG
1) those are butt a** ugly
2) the fake boost material lol
3) $200+ for some slides? GTFO
HossAg
AG
They ripped off design concepts from ultra boosts, Kobes, and Hardens in the ****tiest way possible and then price them at $500. Wow.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Keep in mind that it took Paul George six seasons to get his own signature line for a pair that costs a relatively affordable $110.

Lonzo Ball is six months away from playing in an actual NBA game. But yeah, $495 if you wanna play in his off-brand Kobes.
Ag Natural
AG
Pretty sure Lavar is the king *****. But the kids can't fall too far from that tree. He's setting his oldest kid up to fail IMO. If he's not an NBA star he has failed.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
"What if told you...that the pressure of the winning a national championship didn't scare me...that the pressure of getting drafted in the lottery was not a big deal...that being a successful professional was in a low priority...what if I told you that none of that matter...because what mattered, THE ONLY THING that mattered, was what my dad thought."

This **** writes itself.
Ag Natural
AG
The way he played against Kentucky he didn't look scared. He looked overmatched.
Mike Elko
AG
The Dad's a chode and the sons are overrated.
Btron
AG
He should have sold them for under a hundred he could then capitalize on the ironic gag market like the shake weight and snuggie.
John E
AG
I live in Chino Hills (where the Balls live) and up until recently everyone around town pretty much says that the Ball bros are good kids but LaVar is just an asshat ******bag. Well, after yesterdays shoe release its kinda hard to defend Lonzo now.

Hes putting a ton of unnecessary pressure on himself that is setting him up for a epic failure.
Deputy Travis Junior
John E said:

I live in Chino Hills (where the Balls live) and up until recently everyone around town pretty much says that the Ball bros are good kids but LaVar is just an asshat ******bag. Well, after yesterdays shoe release its kinda hard to defend Lonzo now.

Hes putting a ton of unnecessary pressure on himself that is setting him up for a epic failure.

Still mostly his dad. I know everybody says "he's his own man now, time to kick daddy to the curb," but it's tough when that's all he's ever known. it takes many people several years to really separate from their parents. Lonzo is 19 and spent his one year of college close to home. I'm sure he's an insufferable ass, but I'm not sure he ever had a chance with that dumbass of a dad.
claym711
AG
who and what is everyone talking about? Exactly.
Bunk Moreland
claym711 said:

who and what is everyone talking about? Exactly.

Lonzo Ball. Freshman phenom for UCLA. Has 2 brothers still in HS, both committed to UCLA>

He's going pro after one year. Will likely be picked 3rd by the Lakers.

His dad is an all time *******, who has decided to run his mouth and get his 15 minutes this spring. Idiotic companies like ESPN, who live and breathe "drama," invited him to do a carwash and appear on every show on the network and stoked the flames of a fire that should have died with no one caring.

The dad controls everything his kids do. Dad (Lavar) has created a brand around his sons called Big Baller Brands. He said before his son ever met with the big shoe companies that he was looking for a $1 billion deal.

Of course that gets more outrageous headlines. He then meets with UA/Adidas/Nike, and tells all 3 that if they want Lonzo Ball to sign a shoe deal, then they must license Big Baller Brands, and require the shoe companies sell Big Baller branded materials.

All 3 laughed him out of the room. More hilarity ensued.

Then last week he started his Big Baller Brands website for his kids, and they debuted Lonzo's ugly ass initial shoe. Instead of being ridiculous and charging $200, which would have been crazy....Lavar(dad) thinks $495 is what it's worth, based off zero research other than the fact that brands like Coach and Prada sell expensive things, and the Big Baller Brand products are "better than those."

Now Fox Sports and other outlets are also keeping him in the media, and it's all real pathetic.

But this is all driven by his dad 100%. I never wish for injury, but the dad's antics borderline make me wish something happens so that his dad never sees a dime. Maybe Lonzo will just suck in the league, but I doubt it.
CactusThomas
AG
Excellent summary. It's also worth noting that Lavar made some ridiculous comments about a team with 3 white guys can't win a championship.
David_Puddy
AG
His dad alone is setting him up for massive failure. He is going to have a huge target on his back before he ever plays in his first NBA game.
TexagChris17
AG
Don't forget the slides for $220
NoahAg
Btron said:

He should have sold them for under a hundred he could then capitalize on the ironic gag market like the shake weight and snuggie.
Don't badmouth the Snuggie!
TRL-Ag
He already ran his mouth about LeBron's oldest son. LeBron has the ability to play damn good defense. I hope LeBron gets to play against Lonzo & holds him to zero points while on the court.

Kid may not deserve to be demoralized, but his dad is making it hard for me to ever root for his son.
David_Puddy
AG
TRL-Ag said:

He already ran his mouth about LeBron's oldest son. LeBron has the ability to play damn good defense. I hope LeBron gets to play against Lonzo & holds him to zero points while on the court.

Kid may not deserve to be demoralized, but his dad is making it hard for me to ever root for his son.

I imagine that he will be able to next season. Should be fun to watch.
PatAg
AG
So at what point does another website start investigating ESPN's constant coverage of Ball and the publicity they are trying to give him? Wouldn't put it past ESPN anymore to do something shady like that, they have no journalists or ethics anymore.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

"Back in my heyday, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one,'' LaVar Ball told USA Today in March. Ball averaged 2.2 points and 2.3 rebounds while playing for Washington State in the 1987-88 season.

During a panel discussion on Fox Sports 1's "Undisputed" about the new $495 ZO2s that debuted last week under the Big Baller Brand, co-host Shannon Sharpe advised LaVar Ball that "Michael Jordan couldn't command [$495] for shoes."

"Because he ain't Lonzo Ball, that's why," LaVar Ball said. "Did he have his own brand coming in? It's a new era called the Ball era."

Its a shame that he will spend most of his career playing in the Lebron/Curry era
Bunk Moreland
wangus12 said:

Quote:

"Back in my heyday, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one,'' LaVar Ball told USA Today in March. Ball averaged 2.2 points and 2.3 rebounds while playing for Washington State in the 1987-88 season.

During a panel discussion on Fox Sports 1's "Undisputed" about the new $495 ZO2s that debuted last week under the Big Baller Brand, co-host Shannon Sharpe advised LaVar Ball that "Michael Jordan couldn't command [$495] for shoes."

"Because he ain't Lonzo Ball, that's why," LaVar Ball said. "Did he have his own brand coming in? It's a new era called the Ball era."

Its a shame that he will spend most of his career playing in the Lebron/Curry era

First half of career on the back half of LeBron era. Curry will be good but as soon as contracts come back around, the perfect storm that was the Warriors cap situation will neuter them a bit.

But either way, he has a small chance of being a top 10 nba player at this point because virtually every guy that comes in to the league has a small chance other than maybe 10 guys over the last 20 years that were "sure things"

The others had to earn it. So he'll have his chance.... With a 250lb ball and chain attached to his leg in his dad while he tries.
C Loves L
I thought it was absurd to call out MJ, with the pricing of his sons shoe. What a joke!

When MJ started his shoes there were no super high dollar basketball shoe. He was the trend setter in my opinion. Jordan, was the first and that's a bigger feat than dropping a $495 shoe. On top of that, a $125 shoe back in 1994 was pretty impressive if you wanna talk numbers.

I bet Ball, never has shoes going for $6,000
Guitarsoup
AG
How much hazing is this kid going to get when he gets to the league?
claym711
AG
I think you missed the point.

Everyone has been talking about Lonzo and Lavar, and now about their product line.

The guy is a genius at marketing, whether he knows it or not. But, I'm sure he does.
Bunk Moreland
I may have misread your post as in thinking you hadn't heard about this clown (which many haven't), but I understand what he's attempting to do.

The problem is he's creating a brand based around the future success of his kids, and he doesn't have much control over that.

Brazen move. Dad is basically going Mayweather on crack, but if Mayweather did that before he ever won a prize/title fight.

At least Floyd put in an unblemished career before he decided that playing the flamboyant villain would lead to hundreds of millions.

Right now Lavar has a better chance at failure than success on this endeavor. His son is not enough to carry a brand... Especially when he out talks his son 100:1
CactusThomas
AG
claym711 said:

I think you missed the point.

Everyone has been talking about Lonzo and Lavar, and now about their product line.

The guy is a genius at marketing, whether he knows it or not. But, I'm sure he does.

Can we wait until he sells his first pair of shoes before we declare him the next Mark Cuban?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Lonzo seems like a legit top-5 quality NBA prospect....but there are about 5 of those every year.

He does not seem like a 'generational' future NBA MVP prospect to me. Great court vision but Average athlete by NBA standards, and suspect shooting mechanics entering the league.

And whether Lonzo is just a good NBA player or something more will ultimately determine how long the dad's 15 minutes of fame lasts.
CactusThomas
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Lonzo seems like a legit top-5 quality NBA prospect....but there are about 5 of those every year.

You lost me with those advanced analytics, pumpkin.
wangus12
AG
He is also banking on his other 2 HS kids to be 1-and-done's in college as well and then be stars in the league. Like it was said above, the odds aren't in his favor. Heck, now the two younger brothers will have to deal with the pressure of being great as well.
Guitarsoup
AG
Deputy Travis Junior
The price for a deal with Big Baller is now $3 billion. Nike and co. shoulda taken $1 billion when they had the chance.
CactusThomas
AG
Better Business Bureau has filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against Lavar for use of the BBB logo.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Nike

Under Armour

Adidas
Deputy Travis Junior
Deputy Travis Junior said:

The price for a deal with Big Baller is now $3 billion. Nike and co. shoulda taken $1 billion when they had the chance.
BTW I wasn't making this up:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19404697/lavar-ball-now-wants-3b-shoe-cos-want-get-deal
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.