****Official Dallas Mavericks 2016-17 Season thread:**** Staff Warning on OP

33,413 Views | 433 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PooDoo
True Anomaly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

So begins the third-most exciting Texas NBA team thread on TexAgs.

I do feel better about the roster this year than starting the season last year. While Barnes has looked absolutely ****ty this preseason, the second unit guys are a lot of fun to watch and should provide the biggest boost for the team unlike Mavs bench squads in the more recent years. Most excited about finally having a true center again in Bogut, the continued growth of Justin Anderson and the emergence of Seth Curry as a solid rotation guard

[This thread is for fans of the Mavericks to discuss the season and games. Posters that troll this thread will get a ban of 30 days. There is your warning. If you don't read it, that is your problem. Mavericks fans are encouraged to use the voting function to alert us to trolling posts. -Staff]

[THIS WARNING HAS NO EXPIRATION DATE. -Staff]
mavsfan4ever
AG
I already hate Harrison Barnes. I just hope Anderson takes over his spot if he continues to play piss poor.

I agree that besides Barnes, I like our roster better this year.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Perfect thread title by the way
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I already hate Harrison Barnes. I just hope Anderson takes over his spot if he continues to play piss poor.

I agree that besides Barnes, I like our roster better this year.

The thing about Barnes is taking him into context of comparing to Parsons (is still a big question mark as to his overall health). The overall attitudes of the two are apparently very different- if Parsons had a bad night, he's going out partying instead of working hard to fix things. Barnes is apparently the exact opposite- he'll be in the gym trying to fix what's wrong. No argument that he couldn't do anything in the preseason, but the potential is there- and thankfully he has Bogut here with him who knows him well
mavsfan4ever
AG
I agree that Barnes' attitude may be better than Parsons' as far as work ethic. But I disagree that he is a better player or that he has alot more potential than Parsons. Parsons, when healthy, is much better than Barnes. Barnes is not a creator at all, so if his shot is not falling he is near useless...and he's not a great shooter even when his shot isn't completely broken. I was not even impressed with Barnes back in college.

I understand why we signed Barnes with the way things worked out this offseason. But I honestly think Anderson is as good or better than Barnes, and has the potential to be much better.

Hopefully Barnes will make me eat crow and will really improve this year from years past.
True Anomaly
AG
OT loss in Indiana- partly thanks to Bedford's-own Myles Turner turning into a freak- but this was an extremely fun game to watch. Mavs looked so much better than they did during the preseason. Barnes looked like he remembered that he's young and has some athleticism, and hitting that 3 to force OT had to help his confidence.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I'm hoping that shot will gett Barnes going. His stat line was decent today, but he just has no way to get an open shot on his own, which is something you want in a max player. He has no handles and is not aggressive with using his size when a smaller player is on him, so he's basically just a highly paid 3 and D guy. He should get open shots with our ball movement so hopefully he can at least shoot a good percentage.

Myles Turner was amazing. He's going to be pretty special. Indiana looked pretty good, but they may end up missing George Hill. Teague/Ellis is a small backcourt and neither shoot too well from deep.

PatAg
AG
Curry didnt have the mosy effective game. I feel like he will end up making plays for us.
We need Powell to do much more than he did, because we can't play Dirk these minutes all year.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Well that sucked. Barnes did look Anglos again though. Although I think everyone will look good against Houston's defense this year.
True Anomaly
AG
I couldn't make the game due to work, but glad that Barnes had a great game. I think making that game-tying 3 will be looked back on as the biggest confidence booster he could've hoped for.

Dirk should be back tonight, but not sure how much that will help with the game being in Houston. I also wonder how many from DFW will actually watch it, given Cowboys/Eagles tonight

Scotty Flamingo
0-3
True Anomaly
AG
Wes: 3 for 15 from beyond the arc.

Dude. Stop.
PatAg
AG
Actually looking pretty good, despite the 3-0.
mavsfan4ever
AG
This sucks this sucks this sucks.
fightinags2013
AG
0-4
Play the blame game...

Throwing the ball to Bogut to initiate offense is pointless. Usually accomplished nothing.

JJ has been trash

Dirk being sick hurt vs Houston

Wes has sucked

What else?
True Anomaly
AG

Barnes looks great though
Post removed:
by user
jeffdjohnson
Looking at the schedule the Mavs will be in a deep, impossible hole by the end of November. However the schedule will let up a bit as the year goes on. I would expect them to make an inspiring run towards .500 by March. The Mavs aren't a "bad" team, I still think they get around 30 wins. However getting 30 wins is totally pointless.

If Dirk weren't playing I would be rooting for the Mavs to lose every game. Sad Dirk makes me sad. I have a feeling that a "not fun" season will cause Dirk to retire even though he could probably go one more year. I know that is for the best long term but it won't be a fun day. The Mavs have been kicking the can down the road long enough. Now is the perfect time to tank. There is no parity in the NBA today. Let Curry and LeBron fizzle out during the next 5 years and start stocking up on young players. Get a leg up for the forthcoming Lebron-less/Curry-less cycle.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm going to the game tonight. Don't think I've ever seen tix this cheap for a Friday night game. Upper level for as low as $8 and lower level for as low as $50 on stubhub. Guess that's the one positive to us sucking ass this year.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I'm going to the game tonight. Don't think I've ever seen tix this cheap for a Friday night game. Upper level for as low as $8 and lower level for as low as $50 on stubhub. Guess that's the one positive to us sucking ass this year.

Hope you enjoyed it. Pretty good energy in the building given what transpired
mavsfan4ever
AG
Had fun. I was worried it was only going to be half full but it filled up more later on like it usually does.
fightinags2013
AG
Finally got a win tonight behind a career night from Barnes.

Still no Dirk, and he is expected to be out for the rest of the week.
True Anomaly
AG
Barnes looks so damn good, and I really believe making that 3-pointer in the opening game is a strong part of the catalyst for his confidence.

Dorian Finney-Smith really showed some defensive prowess tonight- so much so that Carlisle gave him really key minutes tonight.

Good win, good energy tonight
True Anomaly
AG
This is rather strange:

txagman1998
AG
Quote:

The Mavs have been kicking the can down the road long enough. Now is the perfect time to tank. There is no parity in the NBA today. Let Curry and LeBron fizzle out during the next 5 years and start stocking up on young players. Get a leg up for the forthcoming Lebron-less/Curry-less cycle.

If the Mavs continue to hit the skids over the next few weeks, any chance they can get a first round pick for Bogut? Seems like some teams in contention that need a center could use him and if I'm not mistaken, he is on an expiring deal.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Dont think they could get a first rounder for bogut but might as well see what they can get I guess.
Good Poster
AG
txagman1998 said:

Quote:

The Mavs have been kicking the can down the road long enough. Now is the perfect time to tank. There is no parity in the NBA today. Let Curry and LeBron fizzle out during the next 5 years and start stocking up on young players. Get a leg up for the forthcoming Lebron-less/Curry-less cycle.

If the Mavs continue to hit the skids over the next few weeks, any chance they can get a first round pick for Bogut? Seems like some teams in contention that need a center could use him and if I'm not mistaken, he is on an expiring deal.
From just looking at a list of "contenders" I don't see any team that doesn't already have a really good center. I would say getting a first round pick for Bogut would be extremely unlikely if its only a one year rental with no promise he re-signs.
txagman1998
AG
Perhaps then we flip it around and use his expiring contract and our pick for a young player? Bogut and our 2017 #1 for Nerlens Noel?
Good Poster
AG
txagman1998 said:

Perhaps then we flip it around and use his expiring contract and our pick for a young player? Bogut and our 2017 #1 for Nerlens Noel?

Sixers won't let go of Noel to add old Bogut to a roster that already has Embiid and Okafor, not sure Dallas would want to let go of that pick either considering where they could end up in lottery.
txagman1998
AG
Supposedly the Sixers are already trying to move Noel as they chose not to extend his rookie contract. This deal is essentially our #1 for Noel. Bogut is only included as it takes his expiring contract off our books and the Sixers have no commitment to him after this season. Given our need for a young post player, Noel seems to fit the bill. If all it takes is our 2017 #1 for Noel, then we send Bogut's expiring contract somewhere else.
TheMasterplan
At least Dirk is getting paid this season.
Good Poster
AG
txagman1998 said:

Supposedly the Sixers are already trying to move Noel as they chose not to extend his rookie contract. This deal is essentially our #1 for Noel. Bogut is only included as it takes his expiring contract off our books and the Sixers have no commitment to him after this season. Given our need for a young post player, Noel seems to fit the bill. If all it takes is our 2017 #1 for Noel, then we send Bogut's expiring contract somewhere else.

From what I hear, Noel is looking for a max contract. That's why the sixers want to move him. Someone will be dumb enough to give him that money (I don't think he's worth max money) and unless the mavs are in love with his game (not sure why they would be) they won't wanna max him out.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I heard Toronto may be willing to give up their 1st and Corey Joseph for Noel. That's somewhat understandable for both teams.

But I agree that Noel on a max is a scary thought. I'm not high on him at all.
Good Poster
AG
The Sixers have been trying to move him for months and I think it's telling that a trade hasn't happened yet. Or Philly is just being greedy on what they get back.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I think Phili is overrating the market for Noel. Don't see them getting more than a late first round pick.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.