Spurs Offseason Thread

46,848 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieactor01
GatorAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well this came way too soon. The last 3 games highlighted some major problems to address this offseason, despite a stellar regular season.

Some interesting story lines this offseason:

The end of the Big 3: Will Timmy and/or Manu return for yet another run?
The summer of Durant: Is he really leaving OKC and do the Spurs have a chance.
Spending Spree: The salary cap increase will leave some room to make some moves.
Beautiful game or slow and iso: I think we tried a hybrid of the two this year and it just didn't work.

So here are my thoughts by position in priority order. I don't follow free agency as much as some, so y'all experts tell me what I am missing.

PG:
Status: Parker is looking every bit of the 34 years old he is about to turn. Mills no-showed in the playoffs and really hasn't been himself since the shoulder injury. The lack of PG production has directly led to the death of the beautiful game style of basketball, imo. We saw this with some of the PG free lineups Pop used in the OKC series. Spurs have to increase production here as Curry, Westbrook, Paul and Lilliard lead a loaded West and will be there for a long while. Front office might have made a mistake in letting Joseph walk.

Move: I think the Spurs have to make a run at Mike Conley if they want to get even close to the beautiful game style back and that might mean moving Mills or even Parker. Not much else out there that can provide a game changer here. If Conley doesn't happen, then I think the Beautiful Game offense is dead and the Spurs need to stick with Parker and Mills' limitations and try to become the Grizzlies on steroids, that are tough, with great rebounding, defense and post play which brings me to the post position.

Posts (4/5):

Status: Aldridge is an all star player that had a very good first year, but he couldn't carry the load in the end, especially when his shooting faltered. He is still a bit too reliant on his jump shot and often goes as that goes. I would like to see him get a bit more physical as well. West is probably still a bargain, but played closer to his minimum salary than most were expecting. Duncan was still productive and provides a great value, but does he still want to play with an ever decreasing roll? Diaw is getting older and softer by the day. Rebounding killed the Spurs this past series. Have to get better at rebounding.

Move: If the beautiful game is gone, then Diaw's value isn't what it could/should be and we probably need to look at moving him. He went from such a huge part of the Spurs offense a couple years back to not even logging a minute last night. I think the move here is Pau Gasol. Pair Gasol with LMA and you have the makings of the twin towers part two for a couple years. Gasol will help with the rebounds and is a very good passer and a veteran presence. I still think the Spurs should try to bring back Duncan off the bench for a low salary, but does he want that roll. Boban is a depth guy, but not worth much more than the minimum.

Guard/Forward (2/3):

Status: Leonard is already a super star, but can still work on his consistency a bit on offense to become one of the best to ever play the game. Green had a rough year. His shooting was off all year. I think the lack of ball movement really hurt him especially with the PG play decline. Manu still has heart, but is a shell of himself. Anderson showed flashes at times, but does he really fit into the future plans? Martin might be worth the minimum but not any more. I am still hopeful Simmons might emerge here as a contributor.

Moves: Manu can play as long as he want for the vet minimum, but my guess is he hangs them up. Besides Leonard, everyone else should be on the block for a trade or an upgrade to include Green. We need someone besides Leonard that can drive the basketball and consistently hit an open 3. I don't know who I like here. Maybe Batum if he isn't too expensive. I think the Spurs front office has to find a serviceable player here for depth and scoring help.

So in order of Free Agency priority:
1. Durant (pipe dream)
2. Conley
3. Gasol
4. An athletic slasher at SG/SF

Thoughts? Where do you see the Spurs going from here, after another great regular season and another early 2nd round playoff exit?

Ulrich
Imo, the top two personnel priorities are a quick PG and a mauler at center, and either should be young.

As good as Kawhi is, he doesn't have the burst to get a shoulder past a committed defender. Parker couldn't either very often. Attacking perimeter defense is not something San Antonio can do very well right now and a quick guard helps with that.

This roster has two centers: 40 year old Duncan who doesn't have the legs or weight to battle anymore, and Boban who may be a regular season terror but probably never worth more than 10 mpg in the playoffs. Find someone who wants to get in there and scrap and has the size to do it.

At least as important is developing the offense better. We have a lot of great midrange shooters, but a midrange shot should rarely be better than the third option on a play. Gotta get back to moving and passing for layups and kick out threes. Way too much iso led to tired legs after trying to muscle through a set, focused defense all game. Also, great defensive effort can often close out effectively on a midrange shot where it couldn't have on a three.

Imo they need to keep Green, Kawhi, Aldridge, and Duncan. Parker and Manu obviously stay if they want to, they've earned that. If Diaw will come back in shape he can be of use with his skillset and brain, but I'm not sure it makes sense to have West AND Diaw as undersized, slow posts that can't rebound. Everyone else is negotiable, although I'd like to see Mills and Simmons back.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Duncan ain't retiring

His c word slash b word ex wife used 2 million gallons of water last year that he paid for in her house in HCV

Ain't no job in the world gonna pay him 10 million next year
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think we have to get Pau for the minimum of he's willing. Having Pau last year and this year would have been enough for us to beat the Clips and OKC IMO.

I think our chances to get Durant are slim to none after we lost to OKC. Beating OKC was very important to make any sort of run at Durant. He might listen to a pitch but I don't think we can expect any more than that.

Mike Conley would be great. The Spurs desperately need another (consistent) creator. Especially with Manu likely retiring. Parker coming off the bench is very interesting to keep our bench strong and have Patty move to his natural 2 position where he is most comfortable. The only thing that concerns me is Conley's injuries. With his injury history, he's definitely not a max player. So if we can get him at a relative bargain I'm all for it.
ThenamesAg
AG
Thoughts on who they are looking at drafting? I'd love to see them try to get Malcolm Brogdon in the second round if possible. Doesn't really seem like one area of immediate need but I think he'll be a Kawhi clone.
West Texan
AG
Without reading everyone else's posts, here's some stuff I'd like to see.

1. If Durant is available and interested, you go for it. No questions asked
2. Mike Conley. We need a lot of help at pg and Conley is the best available by far. And he's an excellent defender.
3. Pau Gasol. Always liked his game and thought it would fit in perfectly with the Spurs. I think he can be had for cheaper than his market value as well.
4. We really need someone to back up Danny and Kawhi (regardless if Manu retires). Kent Bazemore will be a free agent and he's a guy that I wanted the Spurs to sign after he left the lakers. Oretty good defender, plays longer than his 6'5" height, pretty good rebounder for a wing, and I think some work with Chip Engelland will help his 3 point percentage (shot 35% this year). Simmons is super athletic, but he's got a long way to go before we can count on him to contribute in meaningful games.

I'd love to find a big caveman type center to battle it out with Adams, but there's just not many guys like that in the league.
West Texan
AG
Also, if I were Pop I'd have Kyle Anderson start bulking up and training to be a Diaw replacement. I don't think he'll ever have the quickness to guard on the wing in the NBA. Good length and can do some stuff out there in a pinch, but he should start working on being the undersized PF that can take bigger guys outside and be crafty.
superunknown
AG
Thinking Jeff Teague might be an option at PG if Mike Conley is out of the budget. Teague's getting slowly pushed aside by Dennis Schroeder and with a couple of years at Spurs East, I think Teague could slide right in with less adjustment time needed and he'd be a freaking steal in the last year of his $8m/year contract.

Mike Conley's numbers: 15.3 PPG, 6.1 APG, 2.9, RPG, 19.45 PER

Jeff Teague: 15.7 PPG, 5.9 APG, 2.7 RPG, 17.98 PER

Bargain basement bigs...Pau for sure if he'll come. Other than that there's guys like Zaza or Ian Mahinmi or Mo Speights that could potentially fill some space down low. It's so hard to judge the market with the capsplosion coming. Is someone going to throw $10m/year at Mo Speights?
ATM9000
AG
Outsider perspective here... But Tony looks slow and done. That's the Spurs biggest issue right now. If I'm the Spurs, going and getting Conley or Teague or whoever else to play the point is the biggest priority over a potential (but highly unlikely) Durant pursuit.
West Texan
AG
I didn't realize that Nic Batum was a free agent this summer. If he'd be willing to come off the bench, he'd be a fantastic backup wing. Maybe the French connection could entice him to San Antonio.
CactusThomas
AG
Bird's Celts and Timmy's Spurs have been the most entertaining teams in my lifetime and it's not close.

Heart
Chemistry
Selflessness

We have to bring back the Beautiful Game. The NBA is dead to me without it.
West Texan
AG
There are certainly some interesting options for free agent centers this offseason. I like David West and he's a good defender, but the Thunder absolutely destroyed us on the boards. We definitely need more size, and if Duncan retires (God forbid) then we'll need someone to play opposite Aldridge.

Pau Gasol is the obvious first choice. He's 35, but still averaged 16 and 11 with 2 blocks per game. He's a good passer, good in the pick and roll, and a good midrange shooter. He's as close to playing the same style as Tim Duncan as you're going to get. The other thing that makes Pau the main prize is that he's most likely willing to accept less money than he's worth.

Hassan Whiteside will be one of the most sought after free agents, and at 26 is looking to cash in on a big contract. Probably not in our price range, but his rebounding ability and rim protection sure would be nice. Al Horford is another guy that's probably looking for a big contract. Not as good of a rebounder or defender, but still adequate and he's a very good on the offensive end.

After that, there's a list of guys who have had some success before, but have some questions around them now.
Ian Mahinmi- big body and good rebounder, made strides offensively this year, but has always been limited with the ball in his hands
Joakim Noah- Guy was in the MVP talk a few years ago, and now has been injured and hasn't been able to stay on the floor. Excellent defender, rebounder, and passer. Could he possibly get back close to his former self?
Roy Hibbert- another guy a lot of Spurs fans liked several years ago, trained with Timmy, but something happened to him his last year in Indiana. He's massive and has a lot of skill for a guy his size, but I'm not sure he'll ever get right again.
superunknown
AG
quote:

Joakim Noah- Guy was in the MVP talk a few years ago, and now has been injured and hasn't been able to stay on the floor. Excellent defender, rebounder, and passer. Could he possibly get back close to his former self?

Intriguing at the right price. Won't demand a lot of touches on offense which would compliment LMA. And Pop is the anti-Thibs as far as minutes/wear & tear go. Did Thibs run him ragged? If he's got anything left he'd be really interesting I think.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Noah would be the perfect center for this starting lineup. Rebounds, defense, and a good passer.
West Texan
AG
I'm super bored and since as far as I'm concerned basketball is over, I keep thinking about potential offseason moves.

We have pick 29 in the draft, so the possibility of a draft and stash is always possible. As far as needs go, we really need to be looking at wings and point guards.
Malcolm Brogdon seems like he's made for the Spurs. 6'5" with a 6'10" wingspan. Probably the best perimeter defender in college basketball, hard worker, and seems to be a very intelligent player. His jumper needs work, but we've all seen the miracles that Chip Engelland can work. Not a super high ceiling and limited to a 3 and D type player, I can see him being Danny Green 2.0
Deandre Bembry is another wing player I've seen projected around the Spurs range. He's not the same defender, but he's a better creator on offense. I don't know a ton about him other than what I've read today really, but he has some interesting skills that could one day lead to him being the guy that initiates the offense with the bench unite.
Gary Payton II is a guy I like at PG. His dad was nicknamed "The Glove" and he does a good job of living up to that. He's a heck of a defender and an outstanding rebounder for a PG. I think if he could be taken in the second round, he's a guy that could stick on the roster for his defense, and learn the system in the next few years.
Dejounte Murray has the length to play SG, but played PG at Washington. Had a heck of a freshman season and has really good scoring instincts. However, he's not very efficient and he didn't shoot very well. He's a good enough athlete and has the length to be a decent defender, but that always has more to do with effort and want to than anything.
GatorAg03
AG
I mentioned it in my first post, buy I really think the beautiful game/extreme ball movement offense is dead unless we upgrade at PG. Parker slowing way down as well as Ginobli about to hang them up as the pseudo 2nd unit PG really leaves us with few options for a pick and roll guard.

If we don't significantly upgrade PG (and Conley is about the only real upgrade), then the beautiful. Game is dead and we need to slow way down and grind it out.
West Texan
AG
quote:
I mentioned it in my first post, buy I really think the beautiful game/extreme ball movement offense is dead unless we upgrade at PG. Parker slowing way down as well as Ginobli about to hang them up as the pseudo 2nd unit PG really leaves us with few options for a pick and roll guard.

If we don't significantly upgrade PG (and Conley is about the only real upgrade), then the beautiful. Game is dead and we need to slow way down and grind it out.
I imagine Atlanta is looking to trade Jeff Teague, who's played in a system very similar to San Antonio's. He's not as good as Conley (assuming Conley is healthy), but he's better than an aging Parker and Mills. Plus, Teague will be on the last year of his contract worth $8 million next season. So it leaves some more room for free agents this off season, plus it's a one year trial and if he ends up not working out we can just not resign him rather than having paid him some big bucks in a free agent contract.
Ulrich
I'd kind of like to get some youth at PG. Teague will be 28 next year and Conley 29. Not horrible by any means, but the team needs youth and speed. Kawhi is about the only player 25 or younger on the team, and from a personnel management perspective it's already time to have an eye on replacing production on the down slope of Aldridge's career. I'd rather get a couple young guys in the system.
GatorAg03
AG
While I don't disagree on the need for youth. Spurs are in win now mode with Leonard in his prime and Aldridge in his prime but aging.

I think you need an instant impact PG and big man.
saltydog13
AG
Still not sure if he will declare this year, but Josh Hart from Villanova is almost a clone of Danny Green. Great defender and can shoot the 3, but unlike Green he can put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket.
West Texan
AG
quote:
I'd kind of like to get some youth at PG. Teague will be 28 next year and Conley 29. Not horrible by any means, but the team needs youth and speed. Kawhi is about the only player 25 or younger on the team, and from a personnel management perspective it's already time to have an eye on replacing production on the down slope of Aldridge's career. I'd rather get a couple young guys in the system.
Who would you like to see us get at PG then? Jordan Clarkson will be a free agent, but I'm far from sold on him as he's looked pretty good playing for a really ****ty Lakers team. I honestly don't see how we could make a move for a younger PG that has the kind of upside that you're looking for. We always have late draft picks, so offering a first round pick isn't worth a whole lot, and I don't think we have any players that other teams see as ultra valuable that we would be willing to trade. I also don't see any of the PGs in this draft being franchise conerstones worth trying to trade up and draft.
Ulrich
My plan is for the GM of the year to do something magic.
West Texan
AG
quote:
My plan is for the GM of the year to do something magic.

I like your optimism.
Deluxe
AG
Healthy Noah would be a PERFECT fit for the Spurs. Talk about a perfect counter to Steven Adams. Problem is the healthy part.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Man Steven Adams really got under yalls skin. You'll only have to worry about him in the playoffs for one more year max. Interesting planning for a role starter.
mAgnoliAg
AG
quote:
I didn't realize that Nic Batum was a free agent this summer. If he'd be willing to come off the bench, he'd be a fantastic backup wing. Maybe the French connection could entice him to San Antonio.

No way he comes off the bench. Green would come off the bench.
West Texan
AG
quote:
Man Steven Adams really got under yalls skin. You'll only have to worry about him in the playoffs for one more year max. Interesting planning for a role starter.

He was the difference in the series, not to mention we already had two undersized bigs on the bench and Duncan and West might both retire. Center has to be addressed, regardless of Steven Adams.
West Texan
AG
quote:
quote:

1. Nic Batum plays the same position as Kawhi.

2. Batum is capable of initiating the offense with the bench unit, like Ginobili has. He averaged over 5 assists per game this season and has good play making skills.
mAgnoliAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

2. Batum is capable of initiating the offense with the bench unit, like Ginobili has. He averaged over 5 assists per game this season and has good play making skills.

He played the 2 a lot this year and that was on a team with a lot of guards that played a lot. He is athletic enough to guard the 2. I don't think he'd be willing to not be a starter even if it'd be for the best of the team.
Ulrich
quote:

It was a bit of a concern coming into the season without a big body center. Adams and Kantor really showed that it's a major issue. We're a team with lots of size but still can't match up on the glass with big lineups.
mAgnoliAg
AG
quote:
quote:

It was a bit of a concern coming into the season without a big body center. Adams and Kantor really showed that it's a major issue. We're a team with lots of size but still can't match up on the glass with big lineups.

I agree with the need I just think it's funny how y'all say it is someone to matchup with Steven Adams
GatorAg03
AG
We weren't moving/shooting the 3 well enough to go small and consistently out score good scoring teams like we could a couple years ago, but weren't dominant enough down low to play slow and deliberate, especially on the boards but also scoring in the post.

Again, we need to either find a pick and roll guard and get back to ball movement and high scoring offense, or we need to find another big and dominate the boards and. Improve low post scoring.

That's why I think Conley and Gasol should be the targets depending on which way Pop want to go.

Although I would love to get Conley and get back to the beautiful game, I think the more likely scenario is picking up Pau and trying to slow it down and grind it out.
West Texan
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He played the 2 a lot this year and that was on a team with a lot of guards that played a lot. He is athletic enough to guard the 2. I don't think he'd be willing to not be a starter even if it'd be for the best of the team.

We all know he's versatile and capable of playing the 2. Doesn't change the fact that if he comes here, he needs to be that guy off the bench to lead that unit. Green is only good at spot up 3 point shooting and needs all the attention that Kawhi and Aldridge draw for him to consistently get good looks. Batum may not want to be that guy, but we're looking for a Ginobili replacement and I think he'd fit that role very well.
West Texan
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree with the need I just think it's funny how y'all say it is someone to matchup with Steven Adams

Adams, Kanter, Bogut, Jordan, the west as is currently sits for the Spurs will go through some combination of Golden State, OKC, and LAC and they all have the same kind of big bruising center that dominates the glass. Adams just happens to be the main culprit.
Deluxe
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Adams, Kanter, Bogut, Jordan, the west as is currently sits for the Spurs will go through some combination of Golden State, OKC, and LAC and they all have the same kind of big bruising center that dominates the glass. Adams just happens to be the main culprit.
Agreed. Not sure what's so funny here. Adams owned the paint and averaged 11 and 12 against the Spurs. Kanter almost averaged a double-double in 20 mpg. The Spurs have a set of very talented big men, but none of them really counter what Adams, Kanter, Bogut, etc provide in terms of size, athleticism and physicality around the basket.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.