Lorenzen Wright Found Dead in Memphis Woods

7,994 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Iowaggie
Basketball and Chain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
MEMPHIS, TN – Memphis police are investigating the body of a man who was found in Southeast Memphis and a source tells Eyewitness News that is Lorenzen Wright.

According to sources, the body was found in the wooded area of Hacks Cross and Winchester Road, Wednesday, July 28, 2010. It appears, sources say he had been shot and it may be self inflected.

Germantown police say a 911 call has been turned over to Memphis police in connection to this investigation.

Wright’s mother filed a missing person’s report with Collierville police, Thursday, July 22, but his father told Eyewitness News that he was on vacation in Europe.

The Associated Press is reporting that Lorenzen’s uncle says Memphis police have confirmed to family members that it is the former Grizzlies player.

link
DennisTheMenace
Ag Natural
AG
damn, I was just in that exact neighborhood last month. Its where the FedEx World headquarters is. Very nice area. Damn shame.
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
Self inflicted? I heard on the news that he was shot at least 12 times. I wonder which one is true?
Syd_X_Barrett
Shot 12 times. He really ticked someone off.
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
I know this might be off color, sorry if you are offended, but I hope this case is on the First 48.
Iowaggie
AG
An impossible-to-believe percentage of the saddest NBA-related stories of recent years have sprung from the roster of the 1996-97 Clippers.

Malik Sealy was 30 when he was killed by a drunken driver while returning from Kevin Garnett's birthday party in the early morning hours of May 20, 2000.

Kevin Duckworth died of a heart attack at age 44 on Aug. 25, 2008.

Rodney Rogers was paralyzed from the shoulders down in a Nov. 28, 2008, dirt-bike accident.

Dwayne Schintzius fought leukemia and needed a bone-marrow transplant to fight his way back to become cancer-free, according to this recent report.

And now Lo Wright is dead.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Wright-100729
PooDoo
AG
Doesn't the dad sound like suspect #1?
Danny Duberstein
Apparently dialing 911, dropping an expletive, and then having the sound of up to a dozen gunshots in the background isn't enough to get the call passed along to police to check it out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5423262
circa87
AG
speaking of rodney rogers, please read his wikipedia page

one of the most depressing things i have ever read
FJB
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
Apparently dialing 911, dropping an expletive, and then having the sound of up to a dozen gunshots in the background isn't enough to get the call passed along to police to check it out.

This is being discussed in Memphis quite a bit.

My understanding is that since he called from a cell phone and didn't give an address, the most the 911 dispatcher could do was call back and, at best, send someone to the area covered by a cell phone tower (pretty big area).

Maybe someone who knows more about 911 and/or cell phones could verify or dispute the claim. My experience watching Jack Bauer and CTU handle cell phone calls isn't helping me much.
Guitarsoup
AG
tifire85
Yep...that's the problem with cell phones and 911. I know Germantown police aren't really highly regarded in the first place due to very strict traffic enforcement and some accusations of profiling methods, so any sort of slam against them is going to catch on pretty quick in the Memphis area. Not sure they could have done more, though.

Police searched the house of his ex-wife over the weekend but she does not appear to be a suspect at this time.

[This message has been edited by tifire85 (edited 8/2/2010 4:34p).]
Iowaggie
AG
Had the funeral today. Here are his three kids: Lamar, Sofia, and Lawson.

La Bamba
AG
Feel bad for the kids. That pic is devastating.
Iowaggie
AG
There is some odd stuff with this case:

The ex-wife reports to her attorney (but not the cops) that 3 armed men show up at his house in Memphis looking for Wright who isn't there.

A few weeks later, Lo makes an impromptu visit from his Atlanta-area home to Memphis (7/18). Ex-wife lies about what time he left the house. Allegedly a day later, he was gunned down.

Wright’s mother filed a missing person’s report with Collierville police, Thursday, July 22.

July 26th, or so, ex-wife finally tells police about the armed people who came to her house.

Wrights body is found, July 28. Police rule homicide.

Finally, there is this odd comment/posting on a web page that features Wright and a "girlfriend" that were posted on facebook.
linkhttp://sportscasm.com/2010/07/29/lorenzen-wrights-girlfriend-alexis-bradleys-photos-from-the-day-before-he-died/

Someone wrote: First of all, I live in Memphis and know some of his close family members. Sherra his ex-wife, her brother, and botfriend had something to do with his murder. Lorenzen divorced her b/c she got hooked on drugs (crack). Her boyfriend and Lorenzen had an altercation b/c the boyfriend damaged his vehicle and Lorenzen kicked his a*s. Lorenzen had planed to remove his kids out of her home and relocate them to Atlanta…All of this non-sense lead to his death. As for his girlfriend I was told that she was here in Memphis when he came up missing so….if she didn’t mean anything to him he wouldn’t have brought her home to meet his family. For those of you that don’t know him, his family, or even his girlfriend (Alexis)….SHUT THE *****UP!!!! I don’t know his grilfriend but I do know him and his family members. A man doesn’t bring a “groupie” home to meet his family.
Danny Duberstein
Another update:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5456648

So we're down to:

1) drug dealing gone bad

or

2) ex-wife has him killed and makes up a convenient "he was on his way to a big drug deal that must have gone bad" cover story.

What say you? I'm taking door #2 right now. The ex sounds very shady and the drug story sounds too tidy.
Guitarsoup
AG
PoppaB05
AG
I'll take door #2 as well
tifire85
He was apparently found next to the road he often took to his mother's house.
Iowaggie
AG
Man charged in murder of Lorenzen Wright.

When the corpse was found it weighed 57 pounds.
agdaddy04
AG
His ex wife arrested today in California

http://wreg.com/2017/12/16/lorenzen-wrights-ex-wife-arrested-on-charges-related-to-his-murder/
Iowaggie
AG
Everyone now is way more into this story.

That August, 2010 post above is more interesting to read again.

MGS
...and Dwayne Schintzius died in 2012.
Iowaggie
AG
Ex-wife pleads guilty

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27256388/ex-wife-pleads-guilty-killing-lorenzen-wright
PatAg
AG
Ag Natural said:

damn, I was just in that exact neighborhood last month. Its where the FedEx World headquarters is. Very nice area. Damn shame.
very nice area next to a lot of very bad areas
Guitarsoup
AG
Former Spur Kyle Anderosn owns Wright's home now.
Iowaggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Former Spur Kyle Anderosn owns Wright's home now.

With Monta Ellis owning it in between.
94chem
Quote:

Marion said Saturday she thought Wright-Robinson had been involved in her son's death for years.
Random character not mentioned elsewhere in the story. I guess they meant the mom from Happy Days.
Iowaggie
AG
NBC Dateline did a 80 minute documentary on this.
Dateline NBC

His wife was not a good person.

(Brief Tim Duncan sighting in it, but not as much as Joel Osteen or Sugarland, TX)

Wright was also a 2020 story
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.