***** Official World Cup 2026 Round of 32 Thread *****

139,305 Views | 2616 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by randy828
aggietony2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boogieman said:

merc said:

I'm a new fan and I don't understand that. I didn't see anything that proved he touched it.


That's the rub. It doesn't look like it was touched.
But the chip says otherwise.




They could show the next literal millisecond to show the second more obvious touch and assure everyone it's well calibrated...But that would make too much sense
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe they should ask AI if that was a red card last night. Technology and all, you know.
A is A
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggietony2010 said:

boogieman said:

merc said:

I'm a new fan and I don't understand that. I didn't see anything that proved he touched it.


That's the rub. It doesn't look like it was touched.
But the chip says otherwise.




They could show the next literal millisecond to show the second more obvious touch and assure everyone it's well calibrated...But that would make too much sense


All that shows me is that it is not synced. The time from start to the jump is longer than hump to header from Portugal. I'd expect to see another blip. I call bs. That blip is the Portugal header not the Croatia header

*puts on tinfoil*
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgLiving06 said:

FriscoKid said:

A big FU from the fan.



Yeah...She's not from croatia. That was in very clear english haha.

Not English. Teeth are too white and too straight.
AustinScubaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG@RICE said:

For me, the only problem is that they didn't show the second touch by the Portuguese defender on the meter. If they show two touches, nobody is going to argue that ruling, but they only showed one touch. Certainly it can measure the faintest of touches, but is it properly synced to the video?

good question the second touch was clear. so if they have two readings it is simple to show.

Accelerometers have sample rates between 1KHz and 4 KHz. so for any given frame you get at least 16 samples per frame at 60 fps so it is pretty easy to synchronize.

FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggietony2010 said:

boogieman said:

merc said:

I'm a new fan and I don't understand that. I didn't see anything that proved he touched it.


That's the rub. It doesn't look like it was touched.
But the chip says otherwise.




They could show the next literal millisecond to show the second more obvious touch and assure everyone it's well calibrated...But that would make too much sense

That's what I think too. That's feedback from the obvious touch from Portugal. I don't know the Y scale on that graph from the accelerometer, but that's a huge signal from a very very slight touch. An actual hit to the ball is going to be literally off the scale.
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If they don't have a chip in the ball I don't think you can definitely say it touched him and that's a good goal. If he gets a haircut today it doesn't touch him and it's a good goal.

This is the play people should be upset about. Not the lean offside. This touch didn't affect the play.
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The graph for that little chip in the ball should show a little blip when it grazed #20 and a big blip when it his the Portuguese player afterwards. Why doesn't fifa show a longer clip of that graph?
The Ex Officio Director
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mathguy64 said:

If they don't have a chip in the ball I don't think you can definitely say it touched him and that's a good goal. If he gets a haircut today it doesn't touch him and it's a good goal.

This is the play people should be upset about. Not the lean offside. This touch didn't affect the play.

Next world cup, there's going to be a bunch of bold dudes.
It could be that your purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others. Explains why I come with a warning label. Life is short, drink jager with red bull.
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oh no said:

The graph for that little chip in the ball should show a little blip when it grazed #20 and a big blip when it his the Portuguese player afterwards. Why doesn't fifa show a longer clip of that graph?

Because they screwed up. Never admit you made a mistake.
AgRyan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is no way that contact with his hair made any impact on the ball that would register
AustinScubaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oh no said:

The graph for that little chip in the ball should show a little blip when it grazed #20 and a big blip when it his the Portuguese player afterwards. Why doesn't fifa show a longer clip of that graph?

they need to show the graph over about 500 ms. each of those samples is likely 1 ms. on that time scale you wont see the two touches on that graph.

for transparency though they should show a 1s window around that point.
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgRyan04 said:

There is no way that contact with his hair made any impact on the ball that would register

It could have, but there should be a massive spike right after that one. Submitting this graph in any engineering test report would be rejected immediately. Video, graph, done and 100% verified? I manage some EEs right out of college. Zero chance I accept this "report" and call it good. This "graph" is 100% BS to confirm a "touch".
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lineups for Switzerland vs. Algeria



AgRyan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FriscoKid said:

AgRyan04 said:

There is no way that contact with his hair made any impact on the ball that would register

It could have, but there should be a massive spike right after that one. Submitting this graph in any engineering test report would be rejected immediately. Video, graph, done and 100% verified? I manage some EEs right out of college. Zero chance I accept this "report" and call it good. This "graph" is 100% BS to confirm a "touch".


We'd see it on every bounce of thr ball as it skips across the grass.....and a massive blip when that cross was hit.....and if it it is so sensitive that a brush of hair registers, wouldn't the air resistance against the ball moving at that speed register?
A is A
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are not over the drama from the last game!!!!
Iraq2xVeteran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Portugal defeated Croatia 2-1.
nomad2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Portugal defeated Croatia 2-1.


Th…… thanks
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Algerias anthem is pretty legit
hurleyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ref going to lose control of the game if he doesn't start calling some fouls
boogieman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't believe that ball got thru for the tap in. Amazing by Switzerland.
AustinScubaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boogieman said:

I can't believe that ball got thru for the tap in. Amazing by Switzerland.

Tap in finish can't believe he did not go celebrate with his winger that did all the hard work
Maximus_Meridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just get the feeling the Swiss are gonna need at least 2 goals, maybe even 3
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Algeria seems to be in great position all the time but can't get any good/threatening shots off
Maximus_Meridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's #2 for Switzerland. Less than a minute after the restart
birdman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Goal for Swiss in first minute of second half. Seemed like it was due. And seems like a bridge too far for Algeria.
Maximus_Meridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was really close to being an Algerian goal.

I think if they can get one here in the next 10, they'll get a second. They're creating chances, just not finishing them.
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maximus_Meridius said:

Just get the feeling the Swiss are gonna need at least 2 goals, maybe even 3

I think they are good.
AggieEP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is so much that is imprecise in soccer with the clock, how players just throw in from wherever they want, etc. that I think it's asinine to use an accelerometer to sense a touch that had no impact on the play. Same result whether it touches his hair or doesn't. It's jarring that FIFA uses VAR to essentially decide the result of some of these games. The Iran match the other day featured a player offsides by literal millimeters that disallowed a goal that would have pushed them into the knockout round.

Replay should be for righting clear and obvious wrongs, if you can't visually see a touch, then there was no touch.
Iraq2xVeteran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Switzerland defeats Algeria 2-0 to reach the round of 16.
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggieEP said:

There is so much that is imprecise in soccer with the clock, how players just throw in from wherever they want, etc. that I think it's asinine to use an accelerometer to sense a touch that had no impact on the play. Same result whether it touches his hair or doesn't. It's jarring that FIFA uses VAR to essentially decide the result of some of these games. The Iran match the other day featured a player offsides by literal millimeters that disallowed a goal that would have pushed them into the knockout round.

Replay should be for righting clear and obvious wrongs, if you can't visually see a touch, then there was no touch.


I'm starting to come to the opinion the offsides should be determined by where their feet are, not any part of their body.
JDUB08AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd agree with that. Also, I don't like how after the initial strike you can be onside and then move to an offside position in the midst of chaos 10 feet from the goal.

I generally like the offsides rule and think the game would actually be terrible without it; however, it needs some review.
MattAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgLiving06 said:

AggieEP said:

There is so much that is imprecise in soccer with the clock, how players just throw in from wherever they want, etc. that I think it's asinine to use an accelerometer to sense a touch that had no impact on the play. Same result whether it touches his hair or doesn't. It's jarring that FIFA uses VAR to essentially decide the result of some of these games. The Iran match the other day featured a player offsides by literal millimeters that disallowed a goal that would have pushed them into the knockout round.

Replay should be for righting clear and obvious wrongs, if you can't visually see a touch, then there was no touch.


I'm starting to come to the opinion the offsides should be determined by where their feet are, not any part of their body.


Maybe I'm just a dumb American, but why can't the same logic used for illegal forward passes in football apply to offsides…meaning the attackers entire body must be past the defender to be considered offsides?
LeonardSkinner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MattAg06 said:

AgLiving06 said:

AggieEP said:

There is so much that is imprecise in soccer with the clock, how players just throw in from wherever they want, etc. that I think it's asinine to use an accelerometer to sense a touch that had no impact on the play. Same result whether it touches his hair or doesn't. It's jarring that FIFA uses VAR to essentially decide the result of some of these games. The Iran match the other day featured a player offsides by literal millimeters that disallowed a goal that would have pushed them into the knockout round.

Replay should be for righting clear and obvious wrongs, if you can't visually see a touch, then there was no touch.


I'm starting to come to the opinion the offsides should be determined by where their feet are, not any part of their body.


Maybe I'm just a dumb American, but why can't the same logic used for illegal forward passes in football apply to offsides…meaning the attackers entire body must be past the defender to be considered offsides?

You're not a dumb American.

Problem is that you change the question from, "is the attacker's toe beyond the defender?" to "is the attacker's toe not behind the defender?" The fundamental issue is the same.
JDUB08AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LeonardSkinner said:

MattAg06 said:

AgLiving06 said:

AggieEP said:

There is so much that is imprecise in soccer with the clock, how players just throw in from wherever they want, etc. that I think it's asinine to use an accelerometer to sense a touch that had no impact on the play. Same result whether it touches his hair or doesn't. It's jarring that FIFA uses VAR to essentially decide the result of some of these games. The Iran match the other day featured a player offsides by literal millimeters that disallowed a goal that would have pushed them into the knockout round.

Replay should be for righting clear and obvious wrongs, if you can't visually see a touch, then there was no touch.


I'm starting to come to the opinion the offsides should be determined by where their feet are, not any part of their body.


Maybe I'm just a dumb American, but why can't the same logic used for illegal forward passes in football apply to offsides…meaning the attackers entire body must be past the defender to be considered offsides?

You're not a dumb American.

Problem is that you change the question from, "is the attacker's toe beyond the defender?" to "is the attacker's toe not behind the defender?" The fundamental issue is the same.


It seems almost every time the player is barely offsides though
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.