****Official U.S. MEN'S OLYMPIC SOCCER Thread*****

15,113 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jeffk
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2024/05/twenty-five-players-called-to-us-mens-olympic-soccer-team-for-final-pre-olympic-training-camp-and-match-against-japan-in-kansas-city

U.S. MEN'S OLYMPIC SOCCER TEAM JUNE TRAINING CAMP KANSAS CITY

GOALKEEPERS (2): Patrick Schulte (Columbus Crew; St. Charles, Mo.), Gaga Slonina (Chelsea/ENG; Addison, Ill.)

DEFENDERS (7): Nathan Harriel (Philadelphia Union; Oldsmar, Fla.), Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy; Lakewood, Calif.), Bryan Reynolds (KVC Westerlo/BEL; Fort Worth, Texas), John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls; Chatham, N.J.), Jonathan Tomkinson (Norwich City/ENG; Plano, Texas), Caleb Wiley (Atlanta United FC; Atlanta, Ga.), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; Lawrenceville, Ga.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Cole Bassett (Colorado Rapids; Littleton, Colo.), Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA; Greensboro, N.C.), Benjamin Cremaschi (Inter Miami CF; Key Biscayne, Fla.), Jack McGlynn (Philadelphia Union; Queens, N.Y.), Aidan Morris (Columbus Crew; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.), Rokas Pukstas (Hajduk Split/CRO; Stillwater, Okla.), Tanner Tessmann (Venezia/ITA; Birmingham, Ala.)

FORWARDS (9): Paxten Aaronson (Eintracht Frankfurt/GER; Medford, N.J.), Esmir Bajraktarevic (New England Revolution; Appleton, Wisc.), Taylor Booth (Utrecht/NED; Eden, Utah), Cade Cowell (Guadalajara/MEX; Ceres, Calif.), Damion Downs (Köln/GER; Schwebenried, Germany), Johan Gomez (Eintracht Braunschweig/GER; Keller, Texas), Duncan McGuire (Orlando City SC; Omaha, Neb.), Kevin Paredes (Wolfsburg/GER; South Riding, Va.), Griffin Yow (KVC Westerlo/BEL; Clifton, Va.)
jeffk
AG
Nice group of players! So glad to have the US men back in the Olympics.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Nice group of players! So glad to have the US men back in the Olympics.

For sure. Would've liked to have seen Luna but Salt Lake didn't release him. He's one of their better players and they're top of the table.
akm91
AG
I'm most excited by the midfield group
akm91
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong but I only see 1 overage player in the roster.
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I only see 1 overage player in the roster.
You are correct.

Walker Zimmerman
jeffk
AG
They have to whittle this down to 18 players before the games. I wonder if they might add another 1-2 overage players before the deadline too.
deadbq03
AG
18?! Man that's a tiny squad.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

I just looked it up. 22 man roster. 18 game day.

This is a pretty good read if interested.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/soccer-101-olympic-rules-and-regulations
deadbq03
AG
That makes more sense, although 18 game day is pretty old-school. I'm not in a place where I can read that right now… are they still limited to 3 subs?
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

That makes more sense, although 18 game day is pretty old-school. I'm not in a place where I can read that right now… are they still limited to 3 subs?
5 subs.
akm91
AG
Positional versatility is going to be key for making the gameday squad.
wangus12
AG
Have to also remember that pro teams are not required to release players for the Olympics like they are for other FIFA competitions. For instance, AC Milan could simply tell Pulisic he can't go if they decide that way (this is rare of course)
Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

Have to also remember that pro teams are not required to release players for the Olympics like they are for other FIFA competitions. For instance, AC Milan could simply tell Pulisic he can't go if they decide that way (this is rare of course)

It's off season. Do they still have say?

But Pulisic is doing Copa.
akm91
AG
Copa is FIFA competition so clubs can not block players from participating.
Aston94
AG
Rudyjax said:

wangus12 said:

It's off season. Do they still have say?

But Pulisic is doing Copa.
FIFA Competition v. Non-FIFA Competition
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

No I know. He's doing Copa not Olympics regardless of Milan.

The question is can they stop them from playing non fifa during the off season.
jeffk
AG
Rudyjax said:

deadbq03 said:

I just looked it up. 22 man roster. 18 game day.

This is a pretty good read if interested.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/soccer-101-olympic-rules-and-regulations

Thanks! Weirdly, the US Soccer link in the OP is where I got the 18 man limit.
Rudyjax
AG
Ambiguously written.
wangus12
AG
Rudyjax said:

akm91 said:

No I know. He's doing Copa not Olympics regardless of Milan.

The question is can they stop them from playing non fifa during the off season.
Yes. Most teams are back in full prep mode for the season. Most European teams start the week after the Olympics end.
jessexy
AG
They'll still add 2 more overage players. I'd imagine a GK and then who knows from there. Someone who missed the Copa squad. Maybe Mihailovic or Zendejas?

Also, I guess that Chivas doesn't have that rule about Mexican players only anymore. Cowell is still representing USA with his inclusion on this squad.
Rudyjax
AG
jessexy said:

They'll still add 2 more overage players. I'd imagine a GK and then who knows from there. Someone who missed the Copa squad. Maybe Mihailovic or Zendejas?

Also, I guess that Chivas doesn't have that rule about Mexican players only anymore. Cowell is still representing USA with his inclusion on this squad.

They do. They don't limit to Mexican National team players though. He has duel citizenship.
Rudyjax
AG
Damn. I was sure he wasn't released. Not called in.

jessexy
AG
Seeing that this is a training camp, Diego Luna can still be included on the Olympic team roster right? Let's just hope his spot is so secure that he's not required to be at this camp.

*Or have us fans been so burnt by the USMNT that we're too cynical to believe anything else?
Rudyjax
AG
jessexy said:

Seeing that this is a training camp, Diego Luna can still be included on the Olympic team roster right? Let's just hope his spot is so secure that he's not required to be at this camp.

*Or have us fans been so burnt by the USMNT that we're too cynical to believe anything else?
He can still get called in.

I watched him against FC Dallas the other night and he was one of the best players on the pitch.
jeffk
AG
Seems to me like he'll join the team later but hell if I know anything.

Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Seems to me like he'll join the team later but hell if I know anything.

Maybe. We'll see how much away court of public opinion has.
I'm very biased for the kid so my opinion is moot.
wangus12
AG
French police arrest man over Olympic soccer attack plan
Rudyjax
AG

Playing now in a tune up against Japan.

0-1 Japan in the 7 minute. Handball in the box lead to a PK.

How bad is Zimmerman that he was released for this?
Rudyjax
AG
Tessman is going to be great. He just hit a 40 yard diagonal that was placed. .
Rudyjax
AG
Japanese kid got hit in the head from about 2 yards away. Ouch.
PatAg
AG
Great positioning by the ref to break up our promising counter attack. Cant teach that
Rudyjax
AG
Terrible pass leads to a SPA foul by Zimmerman. Would've been Dogso in a non friendly.
Rudyjax
AG
Taking out their best player and captain for Cremschai. Great kid, but I don't think he's better than Tessman.

Odd sub.
PatAg
AG
The guys calling the game are talking about what Tomkinson did or did not do, and never once mention that Booth just let the Japanese player easily step in front of him to intercept at throw in.
Thats almost impossible to let happen, and immediately put them into our attacking third

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.