****Official U.S. MEN'S OLYMPIC SOCCER Thread*****

15,000 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by jeffk
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rudyjax said:

Taking out their best player and captain for Cremschai. Great kid, but I don't think he's better than Tessman.

Odd sub.
Pretty sure its just trying lineups out, you know what you have in Tessman AND Tessman just finished a long European season.
But I agree that Tessman is better.
Rudyjax
AG
July 3rd is the day rosters have to be finalized.

jeffk
AG
Apparently our men's Olympic team isn't getting paid for their play. Hold over from the olden days where all the squad was non-professional youth players.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/soccer/sources-u-s-mens-olympic-soccer-team-wont-paid-paris-games

I don't want to start an equal pay discussion as that's been hashed out in other places sufficiently. Just thought this was an interesting revelation and supposedly the players just recently found out. Wonder if that impacts any of them wanting to stay on the roster?
TXAggie2011
AG
It's not really about the equal pay issue anyways. It's an issue about how we handle the youth teams, that's a whole other bucket. I think it's probably time they agree the Olympic team isn't an "amateur" team considering it's make up.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I added that because that's the way the linked article framed it.
Rudyjax
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

It's not really about the equal pay issue anyways. It's an issue about how we handle the youth teams, that's a whole other bucket. I think it's probably time they agree the Olympic team isn't an "amateur" team considering it's make up.
The U19 team isn't amateurs either.

They really need to re-vamp.
jeffk
AG
Maybe anything above U-17 gets compensation based on a percentage of the full senior team pay?
deadbq03
AG
Nevermind… I need to learn to read. It's crazy that the senior men's team will get a cut but not these guys.
PatAg
AG
I think its stranger that they were ever paying the WNT for the olympics, I thought that was kind of the whole point of the Olympics. No one is professional, you can take advertising deals and whatnot, but its for amateurs (non pay)
deadbq03
AG
USSF makes money advertising/merch from USWNT, specifically geared to their Olympic performance, so I get it.

That said, USA Basketball gives their players jack squat despite making a killing on merch/advertizing. (Notably, the first two dream teams did get paid licensing money, but others since then haven't).

Other countries' Olympic committees straight up pay their athletes… if we're gonna go the free market route, the players ought to get a cut from their parent organizations.
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

USSF makes money advertising/merch from USWNT, specifically geared to their Olympic performance, so I get it.

That said, USA Basketball gives their players jack squat despite making a killing on merch/advertizing. (Notably, the first two dream teams did get paid licensing money, but others since then haven't).

Other countries' Olympic committees straight up pay their athletes… if we're gonna go the free market route, the players ought to get a cut from their parent organizations.
they definitely should get paid
jessexy
AG
PatAg said:

I think its stranger that they were ever paying the WNT for the olympics, I thought that was kind of the whole point of the Olympics. No one is professional, you can take advertising deals and whatnot, but its for amateurs (non pay)
There was a time when the USWNT was the only professional women's soccer around. USSF had them in camp year round cuz they didn't have any club teams to go back to. So that's why the USWNT gets paid for Olympics.
TRM
AG
jessexy said:

Seeing that this is a training camp, Diego Luna can still be included on the Olympic team roster right? Let's just hope his spot is so secure that he's not required to be at this camp.

*Or have us fans been so burnt by the USMNT that we're too cynical to believe anything else?
Rudyjax
AG
TRM said:

jessexy said:

Seeing that this is a training camp, Diego Luna can still be included on the Olympic team roster right? Let's just hope his spot is so secure that he's not required to be at this camp.

*Or have us fans been so burnt by the USMNT that we're too cynical to believe anything else?

Shocking not shocking.
jeffk
AG
Well that sucks.
jessexy
AG
Steve Goff is reporting that ZImmerman, Miles Robinson, and Djordje Mihailovic are the 3 overage players that have been selected for the Olympic squad.

Linky
PatAg
AG
Not selecting Luna is inexcusable
TRM
AG
So how'd Luna do today?
jeffk
AG
Pretty pretty good.
jessexy
AG
1 goal and 3 assists and a big middle finger to the US Olympic coaches.
Furlock Bones
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Furlock Bones said:

wangus12
AG
jessexy said:

1 goal and 3 assists and a big middle finger to the US Olympic coaches.
So I guess we are gonna lose him to a one time switch to Mexico. Because I'm pretty sure that can still happen
Rudyjax
AG
jessexy
AG
Bryan Reynolds not released by Westerlo.
Rudyjax
AG
Sounds personal why Luna was left off.

Do they get paid by their clubs when they play for the Olympic team?

I know they dont' get paid by the USOC.
PatAg
AG
He declined the alternate spot, not a call up to the roster itself, for what its worth.

I did see someone make a good point, for some stupid reason they are going with 18 man rosters for the Olympics. So it makes it more likely you have to take players with positional flexibility to some degree.
I'd still have Luna has one of the 3 players I need on this roster no matter what.
jeffk
AG
Apparently we tied Spain 1-1 and then won a shootout in our final pre-Olympic friendly.
Mathguy64
AG
Well Spain's U23 team sort of just won the EURO, so we really just tied their B team.
jeffk
AG
ClintDempseySneer dot gif
jeffk
AG
Group game schedule. All times ET.

Wed, 7/24, 3 pm Men's Group A: France vs. USA Peacock, NBCOlympics.com

Sat, 7/27, 11am, Men's Group A: New Zealand vs. USA Peacock, NBCOlympics.com

Tues, 7/30, 1 pm, Men's Group A: USA vs. Guinea Peacock, NBCOlympics.com
akm91
AG
Sucks the team will miss opening ceremony though.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
jeffk
AG
At least they don't have to wear whatever monstrosity Ralph Lauren has designed for us this cycle?
concac
AG
Morocco just scored vs Argentina.

Wonder if Morocco has any French-born players on the team?
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Wonder if Morocco has any French-born players on the team?
Yes, they do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.