Arsenal 2023-2024 Thread

174,779 Views | 3825 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ChipFTAC01
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed. They are trying VERY hard to get someone else into the mix to drive up the price. Rice has been unwavering so far and Arsenal have been intent on keeping the price under 100m.
Teacher_Ag
AG
In a world where my go to Taco Bell order is now like $12 I guess it makes sense that Declan Rice is being considered worth over 100 m, but seriously, this is insane.
chjoak
AG
Worst part of that is Bellingham going to Real for 88m. I like Rice alot but in what world should be cost more than Bellingham?
wangus12
AG
Not to mention I recall it being reported that West Ham wanted Bellingham money for Rice.
chjoak
AG
Everything I am reading indicates that the total amount of our 2 bids (both around 90m) aren't the problem. The issue is the payment terms (they want a bunch up front) and the add-ons are seen as unlikely and they are looking for sure thing.

If that is accurate I think my next offer would be 80-85m with no add-ons. Offer them X percent up front and the rest split even over Y years. Just make X high enough that they get their preferred up front money. No add-ons means there is no squabbling over attainable bonuses because the entire offer is guaranteed.
wangus12
AG
Lot of stuff popping up about Partey this afternoon. Talking about 3 Saudi clubs wanting him. Downside is all 3 are owned by PIF so no possible bidding war. Those ****ers are ruining the sport
agdoc2001
AG
And they are also invested in chelsea, so look forward to them buying players from them well above market value in order to bail them out.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
Already teams calling for someone to investigate the Saudi's for their dealings with Chelsea. Already 4+ Chelsea players set to leave for Saudi Arabia as soon as the window opens. Lot's of accusations of shady financial dealings.
PJYoung
AG
chjoak said:

Already teams calling for someone to investigate the Saudi's for their dealings with Chelsea. Already 4+ Chelsea players set to leave for Saudi Arabia as soon as the window opens. Lot's of accusations of shady financial dealings.

The league should force a sale there but I won't be holding my breath.
chjoak
AG

Seeing other sources that are claiming it is 50+15 with the 50 paid over 3 yrs.
chjoak
AG
Tidbits from Orny on the Athletic...

- all indications are that Balogun will be sold. He would like to stay at Arsenal but still seems to expect/want to be the starting ST next season and Arteta is bot willing to offer those guarantees.
- suggests that Rice signing will mean Partey is no longer the starter. Validates what some of said about his expected position and one reason why Partey seems to be looking around.
- we've never priorized Caicedo or Lavia this window but are keeping tabs and could move on either depending on the deal & outgoings.
chjoak
AG
And now agreement is done...

Romano says it is a 60+5 deal. I've seen others suggest 50+15. Either way it sounds like medicals and contracts will happen this week.
chjoak
AG

Have seen pics & claims that he, his girlfriend and his agent flew to London yesterday.
chjoak
AG
Also, seeing rumors that West Ham are tapping the breaks on Rice negotiations hoping to give City or ManU time to throw their hat into the ring.

There are rumors that ManU is interested and plan to offer 50m + one of McTominay/Maguire. I could see ManU trying this but don't see WH wanting either player.

Rumors that City was gonna offer Phillips + cash but Phillips is refusing to leave (or atleast leave for WH). Personally think this rumor was bogus and don't really think City is gonna jump in. They supposedly were looking at Rice as a replacement for Gundo... well Gundo appears to be headed to Barca and City have a deal in place to sign Kovacic from Chelsea.
wangus12
AG
As you've definitely said and it makes total sense, Rice is definitely going to be the 6. We are going to have to get another midfielder if we lose Partey as well just from a depth standpoint.
chjoak
AG
Yep. Rice is the replacement for Partey in the starting lineup. If/when Partey leaves, I think we sign either Lavia or an inexpensive u20 with a ton of upside.

The interesting part to figure out is whether Arteta views Havertz as a replacement for Xhaka or if he is being brought in as a rotational attacker (AM, W, F9). If the later, we will still need to find a replacement for Xhaka as well.
wangus12
AG
Also, it really just annoys me how ****ing bad we are at selling players. Havertz has been epically bad since coming to the PL and yet they sell/we pay 60m for him.

This would be like us selling Pepe for 60m today. Its ****ing annoying how we get held to the fire and wrecked with every transfer it feels like.
chjoak
AG
Yeah, I really don't get why it seems we pay more than others for the players we buy and sell lower than others for the guys we need/want to offload.
chjoak
AG
Strangely Attractive
AG
Agree, Rice is the 6 and he's been able to stay healthy at WH, but the same could be said for Partey at Atleti. I hope we get Lavia but I think he needs time to develop. If we lose Partey we need to keep Jorginho and get Lavia, in my opinion.
Strangely Attractive
AG
I bet if we took some Saudi investment, this wouldn't be a problem anymore. Just ask Chelsea.
agdoc2001
AG
So we are only giving them exactly what they asked for for a player they don't want. Shrewd.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
Little bit of a difference between the Partey & Rice moves... EPL to EPL vs La Liga to EPL

Jorginho has already rejected overtures from Lazio. He seems intent to stay and there have been no indications that we intend to move him on.
chjoak
AG
technically they wanted 75m
Strangely Attractive
AG
I'm excited to see what Arteta does with him. I think he was misused at Chelsea.
agdoc2001
AG
Ah, I misremembered it as 65. Still feels way too high.
PJYoung
AG
Strangely Attractive said:

I'm excited to see what Arteta does with him. I think he was misused at Chelsea.
Exactly.

Arteta and Edu deserve the benefit of the doubt on roster moves at this point.
gougler08
AG
agdoc2001 said:

So we are only giving them exactly what they asked for for a player they don't want. Shrewd.
Seeing as it isn't my money, I'm ok with this until it hamstrings potential new signings. That doesn't seem to be the case right now and as people have mentioned, our roster management has been much better lately so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Havertz will definitely give us something different up front, which we needed last season at times
chjoak
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Ah, I misremembered it as 65. Still feels way too high.
Agreed. Think we should have been closer to 50m. Appears there was very little market. Bayern & Real showed some interest but immediately backed off when Chelsea asked for 75m. We seemed to have been the ONLY club that was willing to negotiate.

In the end, I don't care what he cost as long as (a) he works out and (b) his cost doesn't keep us from another transfer.
chjoak
AG

If they are gonna come with an offer of 40m, I think you ask for 50-60m and ultimately take whatever the "final" offer ends up.
Strangely Attractive
AG
Still nervous about shipping off a guy that was instrumental to our success the last two years.
Strangely Attractive
AG
Agreed and it will be interesting to see how Arteta sees him. I'm thinking he could play in Xhaka's role, at the 9 or on the RW. Maybe all 3, I know Arteta values versatility.
wangus12
AG
If Xhaka and Partey both go and the midfield transfers drag out, I'd expect a pretty rocky start to the campaign just because of the massive changes in the engine room
TXAggie2011
AG
If we ship off Partey, I feel like we've got to bring in 2 players or keep Tierney and be prepared to allow Zinchenko to play as a pure midfielder if Rice/Jorginho aren't playing (assuming we get Rice!)

Jorginho was great. Don't know if I'm ready to move forward with an EPL challenge and Champions League schedule with him as the only back-up option.
chjoak
AG
Gundogan to Barca official. Will see what if that impacts the Rice to City "interest". Personally think they aren't in for him at all. They just signed Kovacic from Chelsea and to me that seems like a more like for like Gundo replacement than Rice would be.
First Page Last Page
Page 5 of 110

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.