***** USMNT v Honduras WCQ Game *****

28,938 Views | 576 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rudyjax
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BE GONE, BAD JUJU!

oh no
AG
anxious to see lineups - if Greggg plans to go with 3 CBs and wingbacks- defend/ protect 1 pt away and hope to counter and steal 3 pts, or if they go 4-3-3- be aggressive and try to score goals away.
Thunder18
AG
You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman (even if you are a dirty liverpool fan)
DeangeloVickers
AG

akm91
AG
oh no said:

anxious to see lineups - if Greggg plans to go with 3 CBs and wingbacks- defend/ protect 1 pt away and hope to counter and steal 3 pts, or if they go 4-3-3- be aggressive and try to score goals away.
Don't necessarily think playing 3 CB's has to be a defensive strategy. Robinson is pretty aggressive LB/LWB. If you gamble and put de la Fuente in as RWB (he's played LWB for Marseille so it's not totally unfamiliar), that's a really attacking set of wingbacks that can provide width in attack.

I'm a bit worried about how much Adams/Acosta have left in the tank. Maybe he rests one of them and starts Roldan so he can bring in the other off the bench.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
akm91 said:

so he can bring in the other off the bench.
with 8 minutes left?
akm91
AG
Yeah, not sure why he waited so long to bring in fresh legs vs. Canada.

The Scuffed crew thinks Acosta should be the 6 and Adams as the 8 as Acosta is a better passer to get the ball into the attacking third. This also allows Adams to press higher up the field. Not a bad thought actually.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
KCup17
AG
My guess is that Honduras will sit back and try to hit us on the counter. Honduras is going sit deep, play physical, waste time and try to hit us on a counter. So if we do deploy a counter attacking formation I fully expect the result to be a draw tonight.

We need to show more creativity when it comes to breaking down a very CONCACAF defensive structure.
jeffk
oh no
AG
Adams is damn good player. I believe Leipzig plays him at 4 and 2 more than 6, but I think he's our best 6 and yes, he could play 8 too.

Hell, in two matches during this window, we have started Ream and Brooks at 5 - both too slow.. They could even consider pairing Adams with Miles as our CBs just to have more pace and recovery speed in the back centrally.

Our pool is getting deep and promising in many ways, but I believe our best players - Adams, McKennie, Gio Reyna - need to be on the field for these important matches and now we're without two of them, at least until the October matches.
Aston94
AG
Line-up I would like to see tonight:

*****************Pefok***************

*****Pulisic******Aaronson***********

*******Adams********Lleget**********

Robinson************************Acosta

****Brooks***Sands***Robinson*****

****************Turner***************

I think that gives us the ability to sit back and let Honduras hold the ball a bit, then we will be very quick and explosive on counters, will give Pulisic, Pefok and Aaronson some space to operate.
Aston94
AG
KCup17 said:

My guess is that Honduras will sit back and try to hit us on the counter. Honduras is going sit deep, play physical, waste time and try to hit us on a counter. So if we do deploy a counter attacking formation I fully expect the result to be a draw tonight.

We need to show more creativity when it comes to breaking down a very CONCACAF defensive structure.
If they sit back then we just press the hell out of them no matter our formation, that is when we looked our most dangerous against El Salvador.
aggiephoenix02
I'm so excited! WooHoo, GO USA!
PatAg
AG
This is partly our fault for not making individual game threads.
We knew better, and we have to be better.
Lets be great!

Press conference over
PatAg
AG
oh no said:

We can actually play pretty aggresively from your initial formation suggestion as well...and if we dont play that formation any of these 3 games, then his roster selection really needs to be called into question
deadbq03
AG
Aston94 said:

I think that gives us the ability to sit back and let Honduras hold the ball a bit, then we will be very quick and explosive on counters, will give Pulisic, Pefok and Aaronson some space to operate.
Two years ago me is going to come slap me for suggesting this, but I'd swap Adams and Acosta.

Adams got a lot of work last year at RWB for Leipzig and actually looked good pushing forward in that role.
jeffk
AG
I'm predicting we see a 5-3-2 tonight. And a 2-0 win.
Aston94
AG
Acosta's passing out of the middle concerns me sometimes, I prefer Adam's presence on the ball in tight spaces. But I don't disagree with you completely.
KCup17
AG
What we could do is drop Adams in between Robinson and Acosta to provide a link of play and allows Lletget to get more forward into the attack without completely uncovering our back 3. Allows Adams to get the ball in spaces in front of the back 3 and allows both Robinson and Acosta to get forward and put balls into the middle.
PatAg
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

5-3-2 defending 3-5-2 attacking, lets do it
jeffk
AG
Yeah, sorry. That's what I meant.
Mathguy64
AG
Aston94 said:

And I think you will see it but with Sargent at the tip of the spear.
wangus12
AG
What I need from Christian tonight

Rudyjax
AG
Canada beating the **** out of El Salvador right now. 2-0 in the 19th minute now.
aggiephoenix02
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

Canada beating the **** out of El Salvador right now. 2-0 in the 19th minute now.
Ties, I want every other game besides the USAs games to end in ties...
aggiephoenix02
3-0 USA victory!
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

jeffk said:

5-3-2 defending 3-5-2 attacking, lets do it
Not a shot at you by any means, because I hear it all the timeโ€ฆ but why do folks feel the need to clarify this? No one ever makes up new formation numbers when fullbacks in a 4 man back move forward in attack.

I've never ever heard anyone say that a 4-3-3 turns into a 2-5-3 in attack, but plenty of teams with attacking mentalities play that way (shoot, some that do hardcore overlapping are more like 2-3-5).

Sorry - random thoughts as I wait on my little heathens to get ready for bed.
jeffk
AG
I said the same thing earlier, but realized I phrased it in a way that sounded pretty douchy.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
How do I get this in English, without signing up for some bullcrap 7 day trial that I will forget to cancel?
jeffk
AG
Paramount+ or an illegal stream
aggiephoenix02
YouTube almost always has a stream. When you search try to filter it for live, or today videos. Then look for the video that has the live tag in the corner...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What are they calling this team again? Chosen Team, or Team of Destiny, or some other crap? It is like it is 1986 again and I am watching the world cup final on rabbit ears on telemundo. Not sure why, but pinning this crap on Gregg.
Guess I am gonna try the YouTube thing. Don't tell Bezos I am illegal streaming. Or Jobs, or whoever the hell is in charge at whatever Paramount plus is.
aggiephoenix02
Golden Generation?
Rudyjax
AG
Lineups?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.