***** USMNT v Honduras WCQ Game *****

28,645 Views | 576 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rudyjax
AustinScubaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Expected to wake up to a 3-0 loss after the first half. Very pleasant surprise.
agsalaska
AG
Looks like it
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

I'll try to start individual game threads for the rest of WCQ... at least until the magic wears off.

I think it calls for a perma ban if someone else starts it.
Rudyjax
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

Expected to wake up to a 3-0 loss after the first half. Very pleasant surprise.

Thank you for you for turning it off at half. From now on, if we're down at half, you know what to do.
Mathguy64
AG
I just hope Greggggg learns his lesson. That 1H lineup he trotted out was a pure dog crap as it could be from a personnel and tactical perspective. I'm glad he fixed it at HT but still he can't give a half away like that.

My only thought is that he was trying to buy 45 minutes of rest for the first teamers he brought in.

I will also give him credit for yanking Brooks. He had played as poorly as he could possibly play for 1.5 (edit because I'm tired for staying up too late) games. It took some courage I thought to sit him. You don't see coaches pull CBs often. Especially veteran CBs.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I just hope Greggggg learns his lesson. That 1H lineup he trotted out was a pure dog crap as it could be from a personnel and tactical perspective. I'm glad he fixed it at HT but still he can't give a half away like that.

My only thought is that he was trying to buy 45 minutes of rest for the first teamers he brought in.

I will also give him credit for yanking Brooks. He had played as poorly as he could possibly play for 2.5 games. It took some courage I thought to sit him. You don't see coaches pull CBs often. Especially veteran CBs.
Brooks was very poor in his 1.5 games (He did not play El Salvador). He has never been fast but his tactical awareness is usually much better. With that said at least in this match the lack of Adams in front of him really hurt.
Rudyjax
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

I will also give him credit for yanking Brooks. He had played as poorly as he could possibly play for 2.5 games. It took some courage I thought to sit him. You don't see coaches pull CBs often. Especially veteran CBs.
Brooks was very poor in his 1.5 games (He did not play El Salvador). He has never been fast but his tactical awareness is usually much better. With that said at least in this match the lack of Adams in front of him really hurt.
I didn't see their goal but heard he stopped running again. If he keeps going against Canada, he blocks that cross. I'm done with his lack of effort.
Mathguy64
AG
He was definitely trailing in behind. Way behind.
aggiephoenix02
jeffk said:

I'll try to start individual game threads for the rest of WCQ... at least until the magic wears off.
We're counting on you, the team is counting on you, the entire country Is Counting On YOU... until the magic wears off...
jeffk
AG
okay... so the goal last night wasn't on Brooks IMO. He steps up to stop the Honduran attacker and actually slows the advance (fouls the guy too) but then play continues on. The rest of the backline gets their marking confused and Bello is too slow getting back and lets his man get goalside to score.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. There was a foul in the buildup. And for a half a beat the US players stopped playing expecting a whistle. That did the damage leaving the players on the wing and running the channel unmarked.
gougler08
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Yeah. There was a foul in the buildup. And for a half a beat the US players stopped playing expecting a whistle. That did the damage leaving the players on the wing and running the channel unmarked.
Bello was like 5 seconds too late in getting over to cover, but yeah, just bad all around
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

okay... so the goal last night wasn't on Brooks IMO. He steps up to stop the Honduran attacker and actually slows the advance (fouls the guy too) but then play continues on. The rest of the backline gets their marking confused and Bello is too slow getting back and lets his man get goalside to score.
Its not solely on him, but he shares responsibility. He steps up, and then just jogs slowly back

Bello is definitely the most responsible in my view, he sees that Brooks has stepped up and their are players heading to the box and just reacts too late.
PatAg
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

jeffk said:

I think it calls for a perma ban if someone else starts it.
Since we are Aggies here, traditionally it doesn't have to be Jeffk that starts the thread it just NEEDS to follow the same formatting. So the pressure isnt all on him, lol
jeffk
Mathguy64
AG
If Jeff misses a WCQ threat I will personally drive to Atlanta and hunt him down.
oragator
Some good quotes here. But all Tyler needed to do was ask anyone who has ever watched a CONCACAF match.

"When I decided to play for the United States, I said that I would give all my heart to this team and I showed that tonight," Pepi said. "Gregg [USMNT coach Berhalter] told me I was going to start on the plane on the way here. It was very special, I was prepared for the moment and I took advantage of it."

"Maybe we thought it was going to be easier than it was going down to El Salvador, Honduras. There are tough games, man. You see how hostile the crowds are, but the energy is amazing, the atmosphere is amazing,'' midfielder Tyler Adams said.

"We just fought,'' Lletget said. "We knew we just had to match their intensity. That was the biggest change in the second half.''

"I think it's really important that we did that just to show everyone that at times it's going to be a hard qualifying process, but we're ready for the challenges that'll come ahead,'' Robinson said. "We can respond to anything.''

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usaw/story/4471595/uswnts-christen-press-to-take-time-out-to-focus-on-mental-healthspiritual-growth
Rudyjax
AG
I think that's a case of, you have to see it to believe it. Like Gregg can tell him until he's blue in the face but this dude has played in front of massive loud crowds that none of the MLS guys have. So until he see how it can be, he's not going to believe it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.