****Bundesliga 2021/22 Season Thread****

10,493 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by deadbq03
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Early start for this thread, but I'm excited for it to start nonetheless.

Big changes in the manager role for the upcoming season:

Bayern - Julian Nagelsmann (RB Leipzig)
RB Leipzig - Jesse Marsch (RB Salzburg)
Dortmund - Marco Rose (Monchengladbach)
Bayer Leverkusen - Gerardo Seoane (Young Boys (Switzerland))
Eintracht Frankfurt - Oliver Glasner (VfL Wolfsburg)
Monchengladbach - Adi Hutter (Eintracht Frankfurt)
VfL Wolfsburg - ??? (Nothing announced yet)
FC Koln - Steffen Baumgart (SC Paderborn)

Relegated:
Werder Bremen
FC Schalke 04

Promotion from Bundesliga 2:
VfL Bochum
Greuther Furth (Julian Green!)
Legal Custodian
AG
Predictions for next season as of today (could change based upon transfers):

Bundesliga Champion:
Borussia Dortmund

Pokal Champion:
Bayern Munich

Top 4:
Dortmund
Bayern
Frankfurt
RB Leipzig

I also think Mainz finishes top 6. They had a hell of a run to close the season.

Relegated:
FC Koln
Arminia Bielefeld
VfL Bochum (Survives the Relegation playoff match)

My predictions will change mightily if Dortmund guts their team. But I think they see a window here to get a trophy and maybe they only sell Sancho and call it good and use that money to get a decent wingback or CDM. If that happens, I see them making a huge run next year.

My team, FCB, will take a step back next season. I think Muller starts to show his age a bit and our backline will hurt not having Boateng or Alaba helping out. Upamecano will help for sure and it helps he knows how Nagelsmann likes to play. I think it'll be a shaky start that I'm not sure we'd be able to climb out of if Dortmund holds the form that I think they're capable of.
deadbq03
AG
Won't happen, but it'd be an awesome carousel if Wolfsburg hires Terzic.
deadbq03
AG
Gonna be a ton of drama with so many coaches facing their former teams this year. And also lots of guys facing teams that snubbed them in the coaching search (such as Glasner who was supposedly very close to getting hired by Leipzig).
deadbq03
AG
Such a weird deal here. Makes both clubs look petty IMO:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2021/6/9/22525088/bayern-munich-dayot-upamecano-rb-leipzig-contract-france-hernandez-sule-pavard-davies-richards-sane

Summary: somehow Upa's contract with Leipzig doesn't end until 7/15. Bayern would have to pay a half-month of his current Leipzig salary to have him on 7/1. They won't. So Leipzig are making him come to training camp to earn his salary. So weird.
Legal Custodian
AG
Wow, yeah super petty for both teams.
EconAg18
AG
Interesting decision to move Gnabry down to mid, but I think if he embraces it this lineup could be lethal.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2021/6/16/22536439/nagelsmann-bayern-munich-sule-pavard-lewandowski-muller-gnabry-sane-coman-tolisso-neuer-hernandez

deadbq03
AG
That is a scary lineup.

Who knows if he'll do it the same way as he did at Leipzig, especially since your forwards are so much better, but there's a strong chance that things will be very fluid. Nagelsmann typically had his 6 (Adams) play as a DM and let the other other CM (Sabitzer) run wild to support the attack so Gnabry could thrive in that Sabitzer-type role. In fact Sabitzer was an attacking winger under previous coaches, so I think it's a pretty good comparison.
EconAg18
AG
I love Davies at midfield too. This lineup has the chance to be devastating
deadbq03
AG
EconAg18 said:

I love Davies at midfield too. This lineup has the chance to be devastating
Watch some Angelino highlights to see what might happen there. It's scary to think about because Davies is clearly more talented.

On the back end, I see tons of similarities. You have Hernandez and Pavard who are guys who can play FB or CB... similar to Klostermann and Halstenberg. Those two were exclusively FBs in previous regimes but Nagelsmann converted them to LCB and RCB in the 3 man back line.

I'm sure there will be growing pains, but I think your roster is well suited to this change and it's going to be scary good when they all click. It took Leipzig maybe half a season to really make the change to the 3 man back... and Nagelsmann is not inflexible... he frequently went back to older more familiar tactics if things just weren't working.
Legal Custodian
AG
Fixtures get released on Friday
deadbq03
AG
I love the way Augsburg released their schedule. And once again, Bundesliga clubs prove they can use Twitter better than anyone else:

Legal Custodian
AG
Amazing
deadbq03
AG
I caught the second half of Leipzig's friendly. Sadly I missed out on seeing more starters in the first half. It was Kevin Kampl babysitting the kids in the second.

Still - It looked to me like Marsch was employing his preferred 4-2-4 (or 4-4-2 2DM) formation. Will be interesting to see how easily they adjust. It's different from Nagelsmann, but it's a return to the formation they had when Marsch was an assistant under Rangnick.
Legal Custodian
AG
1 week from tomorrow!!
deadbq03
AG
Why wait? The Pokal starts on Saturday.
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

Why wait? The Pokal starts on Saturday.

Our game was postponed :/
deadbq03
AG
That stinks. Why?
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

That stinks. Why?
COVID problems with Bremer SV. It got postponed until 8/25. It would have been nice to have a full game with all our starters before the season opener against 'gladbach next saturday.

I know it's only preseason, but I'm getting a little antsy at our form so far. It's going to be a fight this season, and I expect a lot of drama in the media if Bayern starts the season how I think we do.
deadbq03
AG
A convincing 4-0 cup win for Jesse Marsch today. I'm excited to have him at the helm. Very fluid and direct style. Formation was theoretically a 4-2-3-1, but it changed a lot.

Tyler Adams got 67 mins and did quite well, though it was hard to see his impact unless you focused on him because his role was more defensive than he was last year. When Leipzig attacked, he almost exclusively stayed back as a DM in front of the two CBs. Sandhausen couldn't move the ball at all when he was out there, and did have success after he left so he clearly had a big impact.

A lot of new faces for Leipzig. Silva looked good and had a very nice assist. Szoboszlai scored off the bench. Simikan started at CB as the heir to Upamecano. Big surprise was a senior debut off the bench for 16 year old midfielder Sidney Raebiger, who evidently trained with the 1st team last year as a 15 year old under Nagelsmann and was on the bench for the last two Bundesliga matches. One to keep an eye on for sure.
Ferg
Dortmund won 3-0. Haaland scored all 3. The commentators were very happy with USMNT player Gio Reyna.

deadbq03
AG
Whole lotta smoke says that Marcel Sabitzer is heading to Bayern.
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

Whole lotta smoke says that Marcel Sabitzer is heading to Bayern.

I've been hearing that rumor too. Sorry about that
Legal Custodian
AG
50 minutes until the kickoff of the 21/22 season! Packmas!!
Legal Custodian
AG
Disappointing draw, but not unexpected.
deadbq03
AG
I gotta wait til tomorrow to see Leipzig's opener.

Haaland with a goal and two assists at halftime as Dortmund are taking advantage of sloppy mistakes from Frankfurt and lead 3-1. If Dortmund keep Haaland they're going to be really tough to outscore this year. He's simply incredible.
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

I gotta wait til tomorrow to see Leipzig's opener.

Haaland with a goal and two assists at halftime as Dortmund are taking advantage of sloppy mistakes from Frankfurt and lead 3-1. If Dortmund keep Haaland they're going to be really tough to outscore this year. He's simply incredible.

They are a great team. If they can keep it together in between the ears, they can easily end Bayern's streak. Reyna got a goal which was nice
Legal Custodian
AG
And I'm really curious to see how RB looks this year. So many changes
deadbq03
AG
Loss to Mainz. Defense was out of sorts for the first 15-20 mins and Mainz were aggressive.

Leipzig utterly dominated the rest of the game but couldn't get shots on target.
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

Loss to Mainz. Defense was out of sorts for the first 15-20 mins and Mainz were aggressive.

Leipzig utterly dominated the rest of the game but couldn't get shots on target.

Dang. Although I think Mainz finishes top 6 this year. They had the second or third best record in the last 15 games last season.
deadbq03
AG
Legal Custodian said:

deadbq03 said:

Dang. Although I think Mainz finishes top 6 this year. They had the second or third best record in the last 15 games last season.
They're good. And they had bench issues due to Covid.

Jae-Sung Lee was outstanding. Great pickup for them from Holstein Kiel. Dude was everywhere.
deadbq03
AG
These new Bayern kits are horrible.
akm91
AG
You see them in their Champions League matches.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Legal Custodian
AG
I have sudden hankerin' for a Coors Light.
Legal Custodian
AG
This match is getting spicy though. Pretty fun. Love watching Haaland play

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.