***** Official USMNT v Curacao Gold Cup Quarter-final Match Thread *****

7,834 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oragator
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Game over; "they're still ****ty" /major league
Truvada_for_prep
All good Curaaco were the the Caribbean cup champs solid win.
oragator
Pretty much what I said the the the other day.
They were a much better team than we have played to now. Even though we should have won, how we looked was going to be a good marker. And we looked like dirt.
But they won, and in the end that's what matters today.
OasisMan
AG
gregg saving the sub for the next match?
FIDO95
AG
I don't disagree with anything you said other then the optimism that we will get get better. That what everyone said through qualifying last WC cycle and we all know how that turned out. Every team in the tournament has to throw together a pool team. That can't be the main reason. Something is missing and I'm not smart enough to figure it out. And it seems no one in the federation has any idea as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Truvada_for_prep
Zardes is terrible where was jozy?
gig them
AG
I've never seen a less impactful 90 minutes from an American striker. Zardes was swallowed whole by freaking Curacao.

When your point man is fully incapable of even the most basic hold up play, the entire system falls apart.

Survive and advance, I guess.
OregonAggie
AG
The Gold Cup has helped to set expectations for me moving forward. I don't see this group being much better than what we've seen and I'm assuming we'll be 2nd to 4th in the Hex and qualify for the World Cup in 2022. If we're 4th then it'll be a play off to get in.

Now our young guys could become really good and that'll change how I feel but we'll see if that happens.

Qualification is going to provide a ton of uncertainty...
birdman
Zardes didn't do anything to distinguish himself. However, if you are blaming him - you are missing the plot. There were 3 or 4 guys that played much worse than him.

Zardes had a couple of chances to put the game away late, but missed. But generally I saw him running and waiting for passes that never came.
oragator
Yeah Zardes has many faults, but work rate is underrated, and he has it.
Same with Bradley. How many times was it Bradley back breaking up passes tonight?

That's is one of the reasons those guys keep getting chances to play. Along with a sad lack of quality game ready depth behind them right now.
gig them
AG
he definitely has work rate, but he didn't make himself available to relieve pressure tonight

this isn't even a knock on his touch, it's a knock on his ability to recognize opportunities to drop deep and provide an outlet
PatAg
AG
I think this is a good read I saw linked on twitter.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/06/30/armchair-analyst-usmnt-hang-dear-life-vs-curacao
Dre_00
Bob Bradley ain't looking so bad anymore is he?
deadbq03
AG
Spot on commentary.

My lazy, ignorant analysis is that >90% of our attacking moves only came from dribbles (typically Pulisic). Passing was sloppy all game long.

Even the attacks we saw in the first 25 minutes seemed like a disorganized feeding frenzy... a "we're better so let's just get forward and see what happens" kinda thing. Nips' pass to Pulisic was a perfect example of this... we had guys in all the right places, but his pass in was late and behind, Pulisic managed to get a toe on it to create something but it was saved. Get the timing right and he buries it and there's no chance of a save.
jeffk
AG
Doyle's a good follow on Twitter too. Pretty level-headed and knows his stuff.

I think he's right about us being limited by player talent and lack of cohesion. Curaao was better than I think we thought they'd be and they kept us from being able to push forward at will from our rigid formation. Add to that a couple guys having bad nights and a strange reluctance to sub in the second half and you get the sticker that was last night.

Also, I don't know how anyone would have looked at the roster announcement for the tournament a few weeks ago and thought we'd be dominating games after the group stages.
Mathguy64
AG
I sort of get having guys playing on the U20 and U23 teams to fill those rosters out and help those teams qualify, in particular for the Olympics next year. But the primary objective should be the main squad. This experimentation should have happened a year ago and the best players (Weah, Sargent) should be logging every minute they can with the full squad.

tl/dr: US Soccer continues to pay the price of ineptitude.
akm91
AG
Couldn't agree with you more. The hiring process was a complete fiasco. We tactically should be further along than we currently are.

A couple of thoughts about the youngsters not on the roster. With them not participating in the Gold Cup, they actually get a full preseason with their club teams. Also, the goal is to get the 2022 and qualifying doesn't start until next spring so this gives them best opportunity to get regular playing time with their clubs when qualifying actually starts.

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Bryan98
AG
I regret to inform you, sir, that you can't be PMed; I assume I know you.
deadbq03
AG
mathguy86 said:

I sort of get having guys playing on the U20 and U23 teams to fill those rosters out and help those teams qualify, in particular for the Olympics next year. But the primary objective should be the main squad. This experimentation should have happened a year ago and the best players (Weah, Sargent) should be logging every minute they can with the full squad.

tl/dr: US Soccer continues to pay the price of ineptitude.
I agree completely.

Everyone's excited about 3 straight quarterfinals for our U-20s. I question whether U-20 success has any bearing on the full international level.

Look back at old U-20 squads around the world... Wikipedia has full lists of every roster back to 2007. You rarely see stars on these squads. In fact, top-notch teams like Germany frequently don't even qualify for the competition. I'm not smart enough to know what all of this means, but I do think that keeping guys out of the senior squad in order to have success at the U-20 or U-23 levels probably isn't a good idea.
FIDO95
AG
Yes, I'm Pmed. Only '98 guys I really know are from D2. Is that where we know each other?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
akm91
AG
You're right not all top teams make it but there are still quite a few future stars that play in the U-20 WC. It varies by cycles but still lots of quality in the U-20 WC's.

Took a quick glance at rosters and included regulars/stars at top leagues (don't know most of the African players so they weren't included):

2007 U-20 WC:
Chile: Gary Medel, Alexis Sanchez, Arturo Vidal
Spain: Pique, Juan Mata
Uruguay: Cavani, Suarez
Mexico: Vela, Hector Moreno, Chicharito, Gio Dos Santos
Brazil: Willian, Marcelo, David Luiz
Argentina: Ever Banega, Sergio Aguero, Angel Di Maria

2009 U-20 WC:
Spain: Jordi Alba, Ander Herrera
England: Kieran Tripier
Brazil: Douglas Costa

2011 U-20 WC:
Colombia: James Rodriguez
France: Griezmann, Koulibaly, Lacazette
Spain: Isco, Koke, Rodrigo
Brazil: Danilo, Cotinho, Casemiro,

2013 U-20 WC:
France: Kurt Zouma, Pogba, Umtiti
US: Yedlin
Spain: Paco Alcacer
England: Kane, Dier, Stones, Barkley
Argentina: Jose Gimenez

JJxvi
AG
I watched the second half which I guess was the awful half. I didnt see anything too surprising. Acting like "Oh we are the US we should beat Curucao 5-0" or whatever. We could have beaten them by multiple goals I guess if we had played well, but basically everybody is determining what should be the score based on the name of the opponent and not the quality of their team and it is BS.

Nobody scored more than a goal on them in the entire competition, which for them is Caribbean Cup qualifiers all the way through the Caribbean Cup, where, BTW they beat Jamaica.
Rudyjax
AG
gig them
AG
I'm not really asking for a 5-0 win, I'm just asking for a comfortable evening. We were legitimately outplayed for all but a few minutes of the second half.

Full marks to Curacao FWIW. They should be proud of their performance.

Bryan98
AG
Yes sir. But if you think I mean Pre-med instead of Personal Message, maybe you're a different '95 than I was guessing.
MidTnAg
AG
Watching replay. Still extremely embarrassing.
Populations:
Curacao-- 160,000
USA -- 330 000,000
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
MidTnAg said:

Populations:
Curacao-- 160,000
USA -- 330 000,000

Look at the bright side, you can also count the Netherlands population into that number,17M

Never mind, doesn't make it much better
jeffk
AG
I'll take the Dutch youth development program over ours every day of the week.
PatAg
AG
MidTnAg said:

Populations:
Curacao-- 160,000
USA -- 330 000,000
amazing insight
birdman
Maybe all 160,000 residents can greet the Curacao players at the airport, since they just got knocked out of the tournament.
Rudyjax
AG
Have you seen where they Curaao players play?

EPL, Championship league, Eredivisie, etc.

They may be from a small country, but they play at a higher level than most of our MLS guys.
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

I'll take the Dutch youth development program over ours every day of the week.
They've also been doing this for over 60 years as well.
Mikeyshooter
AG
akm91 said:

A couple of thoughts about the youngsters not on the roster. With them not participating in the Gold Cup, they actually get a full preseason with their club teams. Also, the goal is to get the 2022 and qualifying doesn't start until next spring so this gives them best opportunity to get regular playing time with their clubs when qualifying actually starts.
I don't trust these guys enough to bring in the best players. I hope I'm wrong.
TXAggie2011
AG
I Am Mine said:

They may be from a small country, but they play at a higher level than most of our MLS guys.
Eh. I wouldn't agree with that.

1 is the USL.
3 are in the semi-professional Curacao league.
1 is in the English championship, 2 are in League 2.
1 is in the 2nd level in Belgium.
1 is in the top Cyprus league.
1 is in the Saudi Arabian league.

4 play in the Dutch 2nd division and 2 play in a Dutch semi-pro league.

[1 is in the top Portuguese league (but just relegated back down).]
Rudyjax
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I Am Mine said:

Eh. I wouldn't agree with that.

1 is the USL.
3 are in the semi-professional Curacao league.
1 is in the English championship, 2 are in League 2.
1 is in the 2nd level in Belgium.
1 is in the top Cyprus league.
1 is in the Saudi Arabian league.

4 play in the Dutch 2nd division and 2 play in a Dutch semi-pro league.

[1 is in the top Portuguese league (but just relegated back down).]

So we have 6 that in a higher level of play than the MLS.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.