***** Official USMNT v Curacao Gold Cup Quarter-final Match Thread *****

7,836 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oragator
i is smart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tough to think we'll win it all with Zardes up front and Bradley at mid. I thought we had more promising guys not named Pulisic.
***Disclaimer***
My in-game comments should not be taken seriously, as I am not a coach. Additionally, unauthorized screenshotting and distribution of my comments is not only discouraged but also considered lame as hell.
i is smart
AG
I appreciate the response and I get your point.
***Disclaimer***
My in-game comments should not be taken seriously, as I am not a coach. Additionally, unauthorized screenshotting and distribution of my comments is not only discouraged but also considered lame as hell.
jeffk
AG
gougler08 said:

I didn't realize Curaao has this many players in European leagues

You probably already knew this, but they're mostly Dutch-born players with dual citizenship. Cant crack the Dutch national squad, so they're on to option #2.
PatAg
AG
There's been multiple threads, and articles linked, discussing that this isnt "all we have" .
i is smart
AG
Understood, I'll find them.
***Disclaimer***
LeonardSkinner
Frankenstein boots Bradley.
birdman
Pretty good build up there. Pulisic lays it off nicely to Bradley. His shot was off line but dangerous. Looked like Zardes tried to redirect.
PatAg
AG
Ban Cow Gas said:

the big thing is that we basically screwed the pooch in identifying and bringing up talent for a 4 year period. So those players would all be in their primes, 24-28 right now. So we are stuck playing players who are probably a little too old, or a little too young. Even then, 3-4 guys are injured, and another 2-3 just got done playing in the U-20 world cup, and weren't brought in for the Gold Cup because of it.

We still have a while to go to create the depth we need, but it's also not as bad as it seems
PatAg
AG
birdman said:

Pretty good build up there. Pulisic lays it off nicely to Bradley. His shot was off line but dangerous. Looked like Zardes tried to redirect.
great interchange between boyd and Nips leads to the cutback pass to Pulisic. That's the kind of play this system needs, lots of interchange and quick 1-2 passing
PatAg
AG
Zardes had no idea what to even do there, it's so sad. He will occasionally make a smart run or play, but the vast majority of the time that happens.
birdman
I 100% believe that Zardes gets way too much grief, especially on this board.

But that play was terrible. Just go 100 mph at the goalie. Let them foul you or commit too many guys. He was stalling and looking for trouble.
PatAg
AG
McKennie isnt right, just got left in the dust on that pres we tried
PatAg
AG
PatAg said:

McKennie isnt right, just got left in the dust on that pres we tried
he's sitting on a yellow too, might see him off at halftime
Aggie95
AG
as a novice soccer fan...we just look slower than most teams. Is that one of the main disadvantages we usually have?
birdman
Steffen screwed up on that corner, but got away with it.
PatAg
AG
that layoff he did was very good just now
i is smart
AG
PatAg said:

Ban Cow Gas said:

the big thing is that we basically screwed the pooch in identifying and bringing up talent for a 4 year period. So those players would all be in their primes, 24-28 right now. So we are stuck playing players who are probably a little too old, or a little too young. Even then, 3-4 guys are injured, and another 2-3 just got done playing in the U-20 world cup, and weren't brought in for the Gold Cup because of it.

We still have a while to go to create the depth we need, but it's also not as bad as it seems

That makes sense, so basically we have to plug some holes with veteran bodies while the new coach properly vets the talent pool?
***Disclaimer***
birdman
Zardes always plays hard. That was hustle play to run back and help out Ream.
PatAg
AG
Ban Cow Gas said:

PatAg said:

Ban Cow Gas said:

That makes sense, so basically we have to plug some holes with veteran bodies while the new coach properly vets the talent pool?
normally you would have players pushing the 30 year olds out , except for world class talent. I would be very surprised if Bradley or Zardes starts meaningful matches next year. I do think Bradley has value on the team/bench and maybe for situational subs going forward. If Adams was healthy he probably wouldn't be in the starting lineup either.
PatAg
AG
If we play this right, we should pour some goals in in the 2nd half. We aren't getting pressure on the ball at all in the midfield right now
birdman
Steffen has looked sketchy a few times. I could see him gifting one.

But I agree. We should be able to get a few goals in the second half, especially when they have to start pressing.
gougler08
AG
jeffk said:

gougler08 said:

I didn't realize Curaao has this many players in European leagues

You probably already knew this, but they're mostly Dutch-born players with dual citizenship. Cant crack the Dutch national squad, so they're on to option #2.

Yeah most are playing in the eridivisie, so that makes sense
gougler08
AG
Also, these white jerseys are awesome
birdman
They said that Boyd had 11 giveaways in the first half? That's horrendous.

He just had another poor one on real promising chance.
birdman
McKennie is running fine now.
i is smart
AG
PatAg said:

Ban Cow Gas said:

PatAg said:

Ban Cow Gas said:

normally you would have players pushing the 30 year olds out , except for world class talent. I would be very surprised if Bradley or Zardes starts meaningful matches next year. I do think Bradley has value on the team/bench and maybe for situational subs going forward. If Adams was healthy he probably wouldn't be in the starting lineup either.

I appreciate the response and feel more confident going into the next WC qualifying matches in the near future.

Quick question, is the current coach the guy we expect leading us into Qatar?
***Disclaimer***
PatAg
AG
We pass the ball to the touchline to McKennie with a man on, Bradley is still in the middle of the field, and no one else is open to play too

Not sure what exactly we are trying tactically, but im not sure where Boyd and Arriola are ending up when Mckennie and Bradley are on the ball
jeffk
AG
Barring a huge collapse early in the Hex, yeah. CB is the guy through 2022.
dallas ag
AG
Has the German team taken on the blue jerseys here in the second half?
Gig 'em!
PatAg
AG
Nice holdup Play from Boyd to bring Pulisic in others into the attack, results in a dangerous chance

Jozy better sub in the next 5 minutes
wangus12
AG
Our play is just way too slow. Curacao are so much quicker in their play.
i is smart
AG
How do you (or anybody) feel about him leading us in the future? Seems like most soccer minds I know really like him.
***Disclaimer***
sherminator
This USA team is terrible. 1-0 vs curaao........
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

Barring a huge collapse early in the Hex, yeah. CB is the guy through 2022.

Craig?
PatAg
AG
Bradley had McKennie open for a slip pass into an attacking position, opted for a backwards pass to Ream

Not sure those two have a great understanding defensively or offensively in this system in 3 games

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.