Arsenal 2019-2020 Thread

137,753 Views | 2300 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AGC
AirplaneAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Nuno is great but if you want him, that means you get Raiola and his entire squad of Portuguese clients as a package deal. Don't think it could ever work with the current structure they're trying to put in place at the club.
chjoak
AG
You are also not gonna get a sitting manager mid season. So if they opted to cut him loose mid season you either have to go with an interim (Ljungberg), a sitting assistant (Arteta) or an out of work Manager (Allegri).

You would have to have a ton of faith that your interim is better than Emery to make that move and expect top 4. That is a very risky proposition but could pan out.

Sitting assistant is a big risk also and could be difficult to pull off. Not sure how much power the club/manager has to prevent an assistant from leaving during the season.

Out of work manager is your safest option assuming you think there is a guy that fits what you want to do and is a better option than Emery. I go back to Allegri all of the time in part because he had a great deal of success at Juventus and in part I don't know who else is out there. My biggest concern is that we wait around too long and Allegri gets snatched up by ManU or Spurs.
Idk3
AG
I am thinking at the End of the Season when we can let Emery go without any compensation. I hope Emery gets us to Top 4 then we'll see.

chjoak
AG
Agree. I don't think we make a move before the summer. But I wouldn't be upset if they did something sooner given how this season is playing out across the entire EPL. For now we are in 3rd and it would be hard to justify cutting him. However, I would probably be talking with Allegri (or whomever) about next season and if we start to slip again just make your move early.
Idk3
AG
NVM - I finally found an article on Scotland's roster and Tierney was left off. Good because I want him healthy for next round of Premier League games along with Bellerin.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'd be beyond shocked if Emery were to be let go before the summer, and I don't predict he will be let go over the summer, either.

The expectations aren't that high, the pressure isn't that high, and there's not serious suggestions of locker room dysfunction.

If the season absolutely bombs, Emery pops off to the front office, or some players get into fisticuffs in the locker room, then yeah, I could see a change being made.
chjoak
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I'd be beyond shocked if Emery were to be let go before the summer, and I don't predict he will be let go over the summer, either.

The expectations aren't that high, the pressure isn't that high, and there's not serious suggestions of locker room dysfunction.

If the season absolutely bombs, Emery pops off to the front office, or some players get into fisticuffs in the locker room, then yeah, I could see a change being made.
I'm not sure I agree with that.

A) His initial contract was a 2 yr deal with an option for a 3rd. 2 yrs ends this summer and we owe him nothing if the option isn't picked up.

B) According to some stuff I have read on other boards, there are a bunch of rumors of player discontent. Lots of guys that feel like they have no idea what they should be doing tactically and a great deal of locker room frustration.

C) We have a new Tech Director that was a former player. While he may not have a huge say in Emery's employment, you can bet that he is in Raul & Stan's ear about the on field product.

D) The fans are not happy. Last time the fans expressed this much displeasure with the we missed out on CL. On top of that, the media is talking sheet about our tactics (or lack there of) as well. Raul & Stan can't be completely blind to both.
PJYoung
AG
Do you think the odds favor letting him go even if Arsenal make the top 4?
chjoak
AG
Depends on the mindset of the ownership/management and the circumstance. If we continue to play the rest of the season the same as we have during Emery's tenure, a top 4 finish will be a combination of pure luck and a down year for Chelsea/Spurs/ManU. I would think that Raul/Stan could/would see that and would NOT want to risk another season of missed CL money. You also have to consider that Chelsea will be off their transfer ban next season and there is a decent chance both Spurs & ManU will be looking at new managers with it all but guaranteed that ManU will be hiring. So next season could have a very different complexion. I would not have any confidence in Emery being able to compete with Klopp, Pep, Allegri (rumored to be talking with ManU) and Chelsea with and open checkbook again.
AirplaneAg09
AG
I think in some ways a top 4 finish this year(maybe 4th?) and UCL on tap for next year will hasten Emery's departure at the end of the year. I think the club can use that as a carrot to attract a high profile name to the job. Sell them on the new structure of Raul, Edu, and Vinai having set the team up for success while United, Spurs, Chelsea, et al are sliding backwards or treading water.

Just my opinion. Either way, I think the writing is on the wall for Emery unless he pulls off something miraculous this year like winning a double in the FA Cup/Europa.
wangus12
AG
Nelson out till November with a knee injury
chjoak
AG
Rumors that we are negotiating with Fenerbahce on a Jan loan move for Ozil
agdoc2001
AG
chjoak said:

Rumors that we are negotiating with Fenerbahce on a Jan loan move for Ozil

Have 1 of the players we've ever been rumored to sell to Fenerbache ever actually bern sold to Fenerbache? I was told Mustafi was going there 3 months ago.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAggie2011
AG
Ha. I do feel like every somewhat older player who might need a fresh start is always about to sign a contract to go to Turkey. That goes for every club, not just Arsenal.

Its the step that comes before China and/or MLS rumors.

The rumors will certainly take off due to Ozil's ethnicity and issues in Germany and London. That said, perhaps this is the time one of the rumors is true. I'd still prefer we figure out how to make Ozil work at Arsenal, but oh well.
wangus12
AG
News comes out that Emery has a full 3 contract. Not 2 with and optional 3rd. Granted I think with the new front office, if he doesn't get into the CL he'll be gone anyways
agdoc2001
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
Rumors out of Spain that Ceballos has told RM that he wants to move to Arsenal permanently.
wangus12
AG
He's shown quality in bursts, but I'm not completely sold yet. Especially for what I'm sure will be a decent price. Doesn't help that Emery plays him out of his position
chjoak
AG
Based on what he has shown, I think he could be quite good with a legit manager.
chjoak
AG
Also, the outlet making these claims are saying that the rumored asking price will be 35m GBP. Seems a bit low but if Zidane doesn't rate him I could see us getting a bargain price.
wangus12
AG
If it's less than 40, you have to take it
OregonAggie
AG
Where's the excitement boys???

It's game day for y'all!
gougler08
AG
OregonAggie said:

Where's the excitement boys???

It's game day for y'all!
Monday night Football is stupid
PJYoung
AG
wangus12
AG

Defense is the same and Willock starts. Pretty sure Torreira didn't get back in until Friday.

Sheffield have an excellent defense and will be tough to break down. Definitely nervous for this one.

The Banana rides again
gougler08
AG
Laca on the bench is good...but did Ozil die?
wangus12
AG
In all honesty, our bench looks better than the starters
gougler08
AG
No Bellerin at all? Did he get hurt again?
wangus12
AG
gougler08 said:

No Bellerin at all? Did he get hurt again?
Still easing him, Holding & Tierney back in. At this point though, they need games.
OneBlitzer
AG
Quality first 20 minutes from Sheffield. Arsenal survived it. Time to turn the tide.
wangus12
AG
Pepe is so far in his own head he is ****ing up the little things now
OneBlitzer
AG
Wrong foot for the attempted tap in. Should be up 1 nil.
OneBlitzer
AG
Crap! Down 1 nil. Outplayed by Sheffield United.
wangus12
AG
It would have been light but I don't think that's a dive.
chjoak
AG
All around sloppy play. Pepe has made a few really good looking runs but each time the ball carrier failed to see him early enough.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.