Arsenal 2019-2020 Thread

137,760 Views | 2300 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AGC
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Torreira has a broken ankle from a scissor challenge against Portsmouth that apparently wasn't a foul
Idk3
AG
SokaPapa playing RB today is pretty telling how things stand for AMN. Actually, I don't think I even saw his name on the bench

Leno
SokaPapa
Luiz
Mari
Saka
Xhaka
Ceballos
Pepe
Ozil
PEA
Eddie
gougler08
AG
Is Atkinson or Dean a worse ref?
AustinScubaAg
AG
Wow took forever but got it right.
wangus12
AG
Finally VAR is a friend
wangus12
AG
Why does every team become prime Barcelona the moment we get a lead
AustinScubaAg
AG
Because our defense sucks.
chjoak
AG
Our defence isn't great but I think the bigger issue is the lack of defence and turnovers coming from MF, especially Xhaka.
gougler08
AG
3 points our if 5th now, the EPL is so mediocre (outside of Liverpool) this season
TXAggie2011
AG
gougler08 said:

3 points our if 5th now, the EPL is so mediocre (outside of Liverpool) this season
I'm getting tired of Steve Nicol on ESPN FC ranting about how Arsenal looks mediocre.

Maybe they are, but damn, the whole league is. The 3rd and 4th place teams have like 17 combined losses, for Christ's sake.
PJYoung
AG
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/509452/crunch-premier-league-coronavirus-talks-today-set-to-lead-to-behind-closed-doors-games-soon/

Quote:

PREMIER League bosses will today take a step closer to confirming behind closed door matches because of the coronavirus.

League chiefs along with the FA, EFL and broadcasters have been summoned to a meeting with government health advisers at the Department of Culture, Media and Sport.
wangus12
AG
Torreira out 8-10 weeks so his season is over. Good thing that tackle wasn't a foul.

Bellerin is apparently playing on a torn groin muscle and getting pain management injections.
wangus12
AG
Stolen from the Arsenal reddit page.

Ramsey scored against Inter over the weekend. Now Serie A is dead
chjoak
AG
Links of the day...

- seeing new links to Layvin Kurzawa claiming that we are still interested in signing him on a free, presumably as a replacement for Kola

- we are one of several clubs being linked with Briton 21yo CB Ben White who has spent the season loaned to Leeds. This is one that I would actually like. Would be a good young HG option on defense and he is coming off a very good season at Leeds. Based on our current CB numbers, I wouldn't be opposed to a buy and immediate loan to keep him on the field as much as possible next season.

- Arsenal & Spuds are being linked with Napoli ST Arkadiusz Milik who is said to be available in the summer for approx 40m GBP due to his expiring contract. We would supposedly be interested in him if both PEA & Laca were moved. Not sure he would be the ideal ST given our current style of play as he is more a pure target forward. However, with some of our youngsters showing increased skill delivering a ball from outside, his ability in finishing crosses could be huge. He would basically be a younger, more mobile OG. If Eddie/Martinelli continue to develop at ST, Milik could be a good "thunder & lightening" rotation with those two.
wangus12
AG
Match tomorrow against Manchester City has been postponed. Sucks because City are kinda down right now.

Apparently many of our players met with the Olympiacos owner after our match against them and he has been confirmed to have Covid-19. I think the match this weekend is still go.
TXAggie2011
AG
Mikel Arteta has COVID-19.

London Colney has been closed.

The first team and much of the club's staff are going into quarantine.
OneBlitzer
wangus12
AG
gougler08
AG
What a ****ty season
Idk3
AG
I blame spuds for this sheet
wangus12
AG
Looks who's back to playing on Wednesdays! Suck it Champions League!

TXAggie2011
AG

Quote:

A number of staff, including Mikel and the men's first team squad, are currently isolating at home. We're pleased to say that Mikel is feeling much better. He's in good spirits, doing detailed planning with the coaches and speaking to the players regularly. The women's and academy teams are also currently staying at home. All our players are looking forward to getting back out on the training pitches as soon as the situation allows.

The players have been given specific training and dietary regimes to follow at home and are in daily contact with our coaches and support staff. As you will have seen from social media some of them are certainly embracing this changed new world.

chjoak
AG
Reading this morning that if the EPL were to scrap the season as France, Netherlands & Belgium leagues have, we would likely settle the final standings & EL/CL spots (and maybe promotion/relegation too) via pts/gm since all teams don't currently have the same games played. In that scenario, we would finish 8th and if the Man City ban is upheld that would put us in the likely last EL spot for EPL teams.
KCup17
AG
Here is a break down of how things would stand in that scenario:

1. Liverpool - 2.83
2. Man City - 2.04
3. Leicester City - 1.83
4. Chelsea - 1.66
5. Man U - 1.55
6. Sheffield United - 1.54
7. Wolves - 1.48
8. Arsenal - 1.43
9. Spurs - 1.41
10. Burnley 1.34
chjoak
AG
Ultimately means smaller budget this window but not nearly as bad as if we finished outside of EL.
KCup17
AG
I think a lot of other teams will be operating on a smaller budget, except maybe Newcastle, so it wouldnt be too bad in comparison
chjoak
AG
Agreed. Think we will see an unprecedented number of loans and swap deals. Been seeing a ton of links for Arsenal the last couple months. I'll compile a list later today and post it for discussion.
PJYoung
AG
My buddy's tweet got a few likes. I'm pretty sure I've posted this picture on here before.

TXAggie2011
AG
Apparently there are new reports of Lacazette using nitrous oxide again.
chjoak
AG
Forgot that I never got back to this thread to post all the rumors I've been reading...

Laca to Atletico for Partey - This one has a good bit of smoke. Numerous sources (dad, NT teammate, etc...) claiming that Partey wants to move to Arsenal.

PEA to Inter for Icardi - Good bit of smoke here as well including Icardi's wife (and agent) posting a pic on instagram of their son wearing an Arsenal jersey. This deal hinges on Barca completing a deal for Lauturo Martinez. The current rumor is that Barca is planning to send Arthur + cash for Martinez.

Miki - Continued rumors that he wants to stay at Roma and they desperately want him but our supposed asking price is too high. Been some rumors of a swap (Cengiz Under) but they seem to be fueled by people trying to make the deal work vs actual rumor.

Torreira - His agent has openly stated Lucas's desire to head back to Italy this summer. Milan has expressed interest and it is assumed that his former Sampdoria manager (now at Napoli) will be interested as well.

Ozil - There is some significant smoke (wife expressing desire to move to Turkey, friend claiming it was in the works, Fenerbahce official claiming they are working to get him to the club) about him moving to Fenerbahce this summer. However his agent is insistent that he will see out his contract and has even commented about surprise in not receiving an extension offer from Arsenal.

Loan to permanent
We are expected pick up the option of Pablo Mari.
There have been no discussions about trying to pickup Ceballos.
Besiktas want to retain El Neny but don't want to pay the agreed buy clause. They are attempting to instead loan him another season.

Players expected to be moved if possible...
Sokratis
Mustafi
Kolasinac
El Neny
Miki
PEA
Laca
Torreira
Ozil
Mavropanos (another loan)

Other players rumored to Arsenal...
Reims CB Axel Disasi
Leipzig CB Dayot Upamecano (unlikely)
M'Gladbach CB Nico Elvedi
PSG LB Layvan Kurzawa (free transfer)
Espanyol DM Marc Roca
Feyenoord AM Orkun Kokcu
Juventus CM Adrien Rabiot (loan with option to buy)
Chelsea LW/RW Willian (free transfer)
Barca LW/RW Ousmane Dembele (loan with option to buy)
Celtic ST Odsonne Edouard

chjoak
AG
Lots of speculation that we have extended Saka due to the following post on Arsenal instagram...

https://instagr.am/p/CAX0__yn95Z

If you click on it. It is 7 pics of Saka in an Arsenal uniform with the caption "Just Getting Started"
chjoak
AG
Ornstein claiming that we are looking to offload 3 CBs this window and are supposedly listening to offers for Sokaratis, Mustafi & Holding.
wangus12
AG
Not really looking forward to the June 17th restart with being away to Man City.
eiggA2002
AG
Yikes. The home pitch advantage has virtually disappeared in the Bundesliga. Only 5 home wins in 27 matches thus far. It's only been a few weeks, but that's a crazy stat.
Smokedraw01
eiggA2002 said:

Yikes. The home pitch advantage has virtually disappeared in the Bundesliga. Only 5 home wins in 27 matches thus far. It's only been a few weeks, but that's a crazy stat.

We had a home pitch advantage before the shut down?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.