Houston Dynamo 2019 Season Thread

18,918 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dre_00
Truvada_for_prep
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Deric was a Dynamo academy player and the better goalie than Willis.
AG@RICE
AG
Truvada_for_prep said:

If he was better he would have been the starting keeper.
Memo is a player we can all get behind, Deric is just another pro sports wife beater.
Truvada_for_prep
AG@RICE said:

Truvada_for_prep said:

If he was better he would have been the starting keeper.
Memo is a player we can all get behind, Deric is just another pro sports wife beater.
He isn't starting because of the issues from last year and Willis has been doing a good job doesn't make Willis better and your last comment is classless you don't know anything about the details. Your ire if any should be directed at the Dynamo for employing a "wife beater" wasn't his wife btw.

HTH
Dre_00
Truvada_for_prep said:

I don't care if he's freaking David De Gea, he still isn't a first team player. And yeah, it doesn't matter how good Willis has been doing. If Deric was substantially better, he'd be starting now that he's been cleared by MLS.

From my POV, Deric is a good shot stopper but struggles in other areas. Neither Deric or Willis are world beaters. I don't know the details of his latest off the field incident but I do know it's not the first. In fairness, he didn't seem to be at fault for the first one. But when it starts happening multiple times, at some point he has to start sharing at least part of the culpability for these incidences.
Truvada_for_prep
Dre_00 said:

Truvada_for_prep said:

I don't care if he's freaking David De Gea, he still isn't a first team player. And yeah, it doesn't matter how good Willis has been doing. If Deric was substantially better, he'd be starting now that he's been cleared by MLS.

From my POV, Deric is a good shot stopper but struggles in other areas. Neither Deric or Willis are world beaters. I don't know the details of his latest off the field incident but I do know it's not the first. In fairness, he didn't seem to be at fault for the first one. But when it starts happening multiple times, at some point he has to start sharing at least part of the culpability for these incidences.
He is the better goalie lost his job due off the field issues if he wasn't they would never have brought him back.
oh no
AG
I don't know details but I believe the woman involved in Deric's second incident was the same ex gf that fabricated a story in the first incident.

Anywho, I think Tyler Deric was developed at Houston Texans, a club that just folded and became part of Rise SC after a nearly million dollar embezzlement. Tyler played maybe one season with the dynamo academy at U-18 before going to college and returning to RGV.

In contrast, I believe Memo was actually in Dynamo Academy for more of his youth career and developed by dynamo.
carl spacklers hat
oh no said:

...Houston Texans, a club that just folded and became part of Rise SC after a nearly million dollar embezzlement.
Say WHAT?? Don't want to derail thread so maybe you can start a new one on the topic. Million dollar embezzlement? How the hell does that even happen? WTF?
Dre_00
I was referring to the altercation he had with an off duty police officer who was running security at a club. If I remember correctly, the charges were dropped because of some racial profiling that occurred.
oh no
AG
I don't know details on that either, but form what I've heard: about 2 years ago, they discovered that an administrative staff lady had embezzled over $800k. One of the technical directors at the club, and possibly a board member of the club?, was also the owner of an indoor facility on Stubner Airline. A lady that worked for him at the indoor facility but also helped out with some accounting or banking functions at the Texans was able to siphon off a lot of money to herself over a few years right under his nose.

At the time of the embezzlement discovery, the club had purchased land off 249 near Tomball/Cypress to build out new facilities that would include some full size artificial/all-weather fields, futsal courts, etc. I think they were able to find a benefactor to bail them and take a lien out on the new land to keep the club afloat, but here we are two years later and they couldn't service their debt and now that new Rise club in Houston has bailed them out and taken over a bigger club with a much richer history.
fig96
AG
Unlucky first half goal for Minnesota (deflection that floated in over Willis) but we're creating some chances.
Bryan98
AG
fig96 said:

Unlucky first half goal for Minnesota (deflection that floated in over Willis) but we're creating some chances.

Yeah it was a very active, exciting game, but it sucks that the lone goal was a weird, lucky shot for Minnesota.

I am a bit concerned about our attack when Elis leaves. Quioto seems to have regressed. We might need to consider shipping him out and (assuming we receive any) use our Elis bucks to invest in another attacker or two.
"Texas - It's still America down here!"
carl spacklers hat
I think Manotas is gone before Ellis.
Dre_00
Does Manotas have any current suitors? Haven't heard any rumors about him.
carl spacklers hat
Don't know which club but the number I heard was $10 MM. No word if Dynamo is actively engaged in shopping him but I thought it was an interesting comment in the context of the conversation. Manotas was mentioned but not Ellis. And that was the number put out there.
Truvada_for_prep
Still can't win on the road !
Dre_00
Draw when it feels like we should've won. Starting to feel more like an average team.
AG@RICE
AG
I got a feeling that if they lose Elis this team will be terrible again.
oh no
AG
Bad mistake on the goal they conceded last night. This team is so dangerous attacking so often- just not finishing enough. Should have had 3 pts for sure. Some of these close road losses and home draws when they outshot the opponent by a wide margin will come back to bite them when/if Alberth is gone later this month.
Truvada_for_prep
AG@RICE said:

I got a feeling that if they lose Elis this team will be terrible again.
A feeling? Its pretty much assured.
Dre_00
Made it harder than it needed to be but advanced past Austin in the USOC.

In other news, updated MLS salaries are out. Did we know that Manotas was on a $1 million+ salary? Because I sure didn't.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mlspa/June-1-2019-Salaries-Alphabetical.pdf?mtime=20190612132231

Struna is also on a $1 million+ salary. If I'm Elis, I'm asking for at least that.
Texaggie7nine
Struna???
7nine
Dre_00
Base salary comp is just over $7 million for the Dynamo. Nearly half of that is tied up in 4 players (Manotas, Struna, Elis, and Quioto). Total payroll last year was a little under $6 million. Payroll went up a little more than 20% from 2018 to 2019. That said, we're probably still the lowest payroll in the league unless one of the other frugal clubs from last year cut theirs significantly. Haven't calculated that yet.
oh no
AG
I'll wait for that cool graph to be tweeted out
Bryan98
AG
Dre_00 said:

Base salary comp is just over $7 million for the Dynamo. Nearly half of that is tied up in 4 players (Manotas, Struna, Elis, and Quioto). Total payroll last year was a little under $6 million. Payroll went up a little more than 20% from 2018 to 2019. That said, we're probably still the lowest payroll in the league unless one of the other frugal clubs from last year cut theirs significantly. Haven't calculated that yet.
I'm ready to move on from Quioto, especially if we're paying him that much.
oh no
AG
Bryan98 said:

Dre_00 said:

I'm ready to move on from Quioto, especially if we're paying him that much.
If Elis is ready to move on from Houston, then I'm not ready for Houston to move on from Quioto.
oh no
AG
Bryan98
AG
I both love and hate that we are overperforming our budget, because I think the executives who run the club will draw the wrong conclusions.
Dre_00
If I remember correctly, according to Soccernomics, salary spend is a much better indicator of success than transfer spend (and a number of other metrics). MLS seems to counter that. I assume it's because 40% of the salaries are tied up in DP players...a small % of players overall. And if you get that player wrong, you're screwed.
Dre_00
No repeat of the USOC as we blow a 2-0 to Minnesota and lose 3-2. Haven't watched the highlights but seems as though suspect defending did us in according to the match report.
oh no
AG
i didn't watch either, but i hear the left back was gad awful... no lundquist and no beasley

combined with all the hondurans, lundquist, etc. on international breaks, struna was not available I guess and MinnUFC basically playing their first team players.

FC Dallas lost to New Mexico FC yesterday though
Dre_00
I just noticed that Vito Mannone...the former Arsenal LEGEND...was the goalie last night for Minnesota. Weird to see where players pop up.
Bryan98
AG
We are seriously undermanned in terms of US players, although I believe if you at least get your green card you don't count as an international for USOC purposes. Of course, some of our internationals with green cards, like Quioto, are playing for their countries right now.
Dre_00
Pretty sure green cards don't count as international for MLS purposes either. OBG and Maritinez don't count as internationals and I don't think either are citizens.
Bockaneer
AG
that Willis stache though
oh no
AG
I like it, but it appears to be bad luck. Shave it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.