Houston Dynamo 2019 Season Thread

18,581 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey so last year sucked. Like most recent years sucked. But MLS announced that they are expanding the playoffs to 7 teams from each conference so mediocrity will be rewarded even more in 2019...and that plays right into ownership's strategy. On the bright side, the club will be Canetti-less to start the season. And winning the US Open Cup means that we can at least point to a trophy even in the years where we suck so that's pretty cool.

Thus far, not a lot of roster changes to report. Shocking, I know. We lost Eric Alexander in the expansion draft. And we're rumored to be interested in a young Honduran RB. Because if you're Honduran and have kicked a soccer ball in your life, the Dynamo are interested in you.
jeffk
AG
Here's to less sucking!
Dre_00
Think the Dynamo are starting the season with a "Here's to less sucking" 4-pack of tickets for only $50.
DuncanField91
AG
Uh, given the new target audience, the new marketing approach is, "Comprar boletos. Esperamos chupar menos."
gig them
AG
New incoming RB
Bockaneer
AG
1st season in a decade I'll miss more than half the home games and no season tickets to boot... my boys are both in college and drove that decision but the roster and play sure made it easier.

Still looking fwd to the home opener vs RSL. Forever orange.
Dre_00
Beasley signs on for another year. Signed a DM from Argentina (Matias Vera) that spent last season in Chile. Also signed CB Kiki Struna from Serie B Palermo.

I get the focus on defensive players given how bad the defense was but Vera seems like an odd signing unless there are still concerns about Cabezas health. Either way, it's clear that continuing to finish in the bottom half of the league more often than not hasn't changed the club's philosophy. Cheap cheap cheap. I remain uninspired.
Katie_hopkins
Welp this will mean an early cl exit .

gig them
AG
Rumours of a 6M bid for Elis from Celtic

Maybe if that happens we'll loosen the purse strings a little?
Dre_00
gig them said:

Rumours of a 6M bid for Elis from Celtic

Maybe if that happens we'll loosen the purse strings a little?

Now Fenerbahce is the club Elis is heading to. And supposedly a Serie A club is interested in Manotas. I thought the $6 million was for him and not Elis but who knows.

It's interesting that a club that has more or less sucked for 5 years is getting significant offers from Europe for two of their players. If the Dynamo sell them, I think they'll lose whatever remaining good will exists between the fans and the club. Selling two of your best players is the cherry on top of the crap sundae that is lowest payroll in the league (by a wide margin) and continually missing the playoffs).
DonRummy
Dynamo wouldn't get the full amount of the sales anyway a portion goes to mls .
Dre_00
Pretty sure that MLS clubs get 2/3 of any transfer but it might have changed. $4 million is nothing to sneeze it. That would nearly pay the entire team's wages for 1 year...sadly.
gig them
AG
Agreed on all counts.

If they sell both of these guys without a heavy re-investment, it will be brutal.

We appear to be trapped in a negative death spiral, where the fans want more spend, but the club can't (or won't) justify the spend with current attendance
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So we'll end up trading Phoenix a soccer team for a hockey team?
oh no
AG
good luck to Elis, but damn, as a fan who has to drive down from the Wdlds to attend games, Dynamo better do something exciting with the proceeds here.
Dre_00
Which is a bunch of crap because it's not like this team was throwing money at DPs in 2007, 2008, 2009, etc. when Robertson was packed and we were in the final 4 more often than not.
Jacobyoung456
I work with the Toros our USL affiliate. Times will be better. We have talent coming up the ranks. This year is a good chance for us to upset the MLS and CCL.
oh no
AG
Jacobyoung456 said:

I work with the Toros our USL affiliate. Times will be better. We have talent coming up the ranks. This year is a good chance for us to upset the MLS and CCL.
Glad you have confidence. I'd like to see it.
fig96
AG
He's Honduran, it checks out.

oh no
AG
Elis still here too...

Honduras' national team captain....is Maynor Figueroa a CB, LB, or holding Mid for Dynamo? We re-signed Beasley, right?
gig them
AG
I can only assume we have identified Honduras as the Valuetown of the Western Hemisphere

Shopping at Valuetown is sensible, I guess. But it's not much fun.
oh no
AG
at least Elis is a young fast Honduran at only 22... and Quioto at 27 is still very serviceable... but Boniek and this latest Honduran add are old ... Maynor Figueroa does bring a lot of English premier and championship experience as well as MLS experience to the squad, but he's just so old.. and he's a left back.. we already have an old LB in Demarcus Beasley.
Dre_00
Figueroa can play in a number of positions but he's freaking 35. WTF?

This team man.
gig them
AG
Oh for sure, we've had some hits. I'm not doubting that.

But the way we keep going back to this well, you'd think we were rocking a 1000% success rate.
fig96
AG
At least they've got a sense of humor about it...at least whoever's running their social media does:

oh no
AG
ok.. glad they can laugh at themselves... but we still suck.
oh no
AG
oh no
AG
gig them
AG
I do appreciate their sense of humor about the whole situation
Dre_00
I wonder if they got a new person to run their social media. I've always found the Dynamo's twitter account to be so blah and by the book. It's refreshing to see some creative content coming out of it. Honestly, it would engender a lot more good will if it did that more often...more than it probably should if I'm honest.
Dre_00
Tomas Martinez and Juan David Cabezas received their green cards so they don't count as international players anymore which is the only way they were able to sign Figueroa. Not thrilled with spending a coveted international slot on a soon to be 36 year old defender who isn't (or shouldn't be) part of your best XI.

oh no
AG
Anyone watching leg 1 of concacaf champions league?
stillmerk
AG
Keeping up with it, but I wish I had gone to sleep earlier now.
gig them
AG
What a hit by father time

Few minutes left to see this one out
gig them
AG
That'll do it. We're coming home with a 1-0 win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.