Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why some of us have turned against Elko already

16,908 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by AggieDruggist89
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Opinion only.

Luke warm hire. And now with the portal and NIL, the expectation isn't 3 years to recruit and build his guys. Onus is on the coach to use the NIL and raid the portal to flip the team around now.
hbkyle
AG
I don't know about turning on Elko, but a lot of the general overreaction is due to us losing and the horns dominating.

Too many Ags base their sense of identity on the Ags comparative relationship with the horns. It's a primary reason I was so happy to be separated from them for 12 years. And so pissed at the SEC now.
Doubledown 2447
AG
I have nott turned but my opinion dropped dramatically but watching us doggedly do the same things that has led to failure before.
We should have changed qb during the game and gave our team a chance to win.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
still love elko hire. colin klein seems like a reckless gamble of a hire, though.
aggiebird02
Most are bummed because we lost, and the QB played poorly. If QB had even a decent performance we win the game easily.

But! Other fans are bummed because it looks like we may have to endure another couple of games or even an entire season losing because it looks as if we aren't changing QB, and the current QB has left no one inspired in any level by any metric.

Is it the QB or coaching? Well… the coaching is 100% responsible for the QBing…
HeyAbbott
AG
We have a bunch of whiners on TA that will complain about anything whether we win or lose. It is just 1 game into Coach Elko's tenure at A&M so let's see how things play out the rest of this season.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
HeyAbbott said:

We have a bunch of whiners on TA that will complain about anything whether we win or lose. It is just 1 game into Coach Elko's tenure at A&M so let's see how things play out the rest of this season.
its not so much just one game, its quite possible the worst D1 QB performance of all time. I totally understand questioning things after that, but Im ride or die elko.
Reno Hightower
Last win over a team of significance was over LSU at the end of '22. We haven't won a road conference game since '21.

Fans are tired of Aggie football being INSIGNIFICANT. THE TEAM HAS TO START WINNING GAMES LIKE SATURDAY. The overwhelming evidence in this program is THEY DON'T!
greg.w.h
AG
HeyAbbott said:

Calling it a tenure is laughable, you said?
HoustonAg2106
AG
I'm not turning on Elko I'm turning on CW. If Elko continues to play him when he is struggling and we keep losing like this I will turn on Elko pretty quickly. Mcneese means absolutely nothing. CW better have it together for Florida or needs to be benched by halftime if he looks like that again
Kraft Punk
I was ecstatic about the Elko hire, I thought it was a homerun at the time

Currently though, a Complete lack of urgency combined w a continuation of previous regime's "everything is fine" attitude is whats frustrating for me

Maybe he's playing his plans for change close to the vest, but I doubt it
AggieDruggist89
AG
I was never on board with the Elko hire. It's ok.

Ultimately it's on Elko for setting up CW for the failure. CW failed miserably and Elko failed to make necessary adjustments. And if Klein failed to manage our offense, this also falls on Elko too. It's about the accountability.

Let's see how Elko manages our program in 2024. My guess is he'll be mediocre at best by losing all the games we will lose and beat up on small programs we are suppose to. And I don't believe that what we want.
Velvet Jones
AG
Protip - none of you know what you're talking about.
Nibblerweather
AG
The anger has more to do with the fact that A&M paid what seems like an all time record breaking buyout to have somebody else come in and fix our offense. To fix our offense we hired our beloved former defensive coordinator. Although we played an elite defense, our offense looked as bad or worse than it did under Jimbo, and our star QB appears to have regressed significantly. Had we simply lost to ND that would be fine, its the way we lost and how bad our offense looked.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Ultimately it's on Elko for setting up CW for the failure. CW failed miserably and Elko failed to make necessary adjustments. And if Klein failed to manage our offense, this also falls on Elko too. It's about the accountability.

Let's see how Elko manages our program in 2024. My guess is he'll be mediocre at best by losing all the games we will lose and beat up on small programs we are suppose to. And I don't believe that what we want.
Agree completely, and we're well on our way to year 85 of mediocrity !

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Kraft Punk
Velvet Jones said:

Protip - none of you know what you're talking about.

Yea we looked great on Saturday!

zb008
hbkyle said:

I don't know about turning on Elko, but a lot of the general overreaction is due to us losing and the horns dominating.

Too many Ags base their sense of identity on the Ags comparative relationship with the horns. It's a primary reason I was so happy to be separated from them for 12 years. And so pissed at the SEC now.

I think in regard to that, the anger stems from the fact that we had a 12 year head start on them in the SEC, but we didn't do anything with that head start. They even made the playoffs in that time span while we didn't sniff the playoffs.
Off_The_Wood
AG
Kraft Punk said:

Currently though, a Complete lack of urgency combined w a continuation of previous regime's "everything is fine" attitude is whats frustrating for me

What the **** are you talking about?

"Lack of urgency?" "Everything is fine?" Did we watch the same game? Elko looked furious in the closing minutes of that game. It's insane to try to draw these types of conclusions after one game.

The team spent all summer creating a game plan for ND that involved CW. It's really really challenging to switch out QB's in the first half of the first game of a season. Give the staff a few games to settle in and make adjustments before deciding that they don't care.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Off_The_Wood said:

Kraft Punk said:

What the **** are you talking about?

"Lack of urgency?" "Everything is fine?" Did we watch the same game? Elko looked furious in the closing minutes of that game. It's insane to try to draw these types of conclusions after one game.

The team spent all summer creating a game plan for ND that involved CW. It's really really challenging to switch out QB's in the first half of the first game of a season. Give the staff a few games to settle in and make adjustments before deciding that they don't care.
Isn't Elko supposed to be an Ivy league smart brilliant coach who can do challenging tasks? Or should we just hide behind "but oh it's so hard to do" and lose?
QB1
AG
hbkyle said:

My frustration is not about the whorns, it's about the inability to move the ball down the field for what seems like a decade.

I'd be ok if we had respectable numbers on the offensive side and still lost...but I guess that's asking too much for an aggie fan.
TyperWoods
Aggie_Nuke said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Agree completely, and we're well on our way to year 85 of mediocrity !

We haven't been mediocre for 85 years.

Such a sip post
AustinAg2K
hbkyle said:

Had the horns lost, people would still be pissed about our loss.
agdoc2001
AG
Off_The_Wood said:

Elko looked furious in the closing minutes of that game.

He was just hangry.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jack Boyett
AG
Losing game #1 to a top ten team is not a reason to panic. It's more a sign of the culture we live. No patience at all and people are getting more and more stupid.
AustinAg2K
I was not a big fan of the Elko hire, but I was also ready for Jimbo to go, and honestly, I'm not sure who else we could have realistically gotten who was better. I feel like we're kind of stuck in this limbo state for a couple of years until we can time things right to fire our coach the same time the next big thing is available.
Pepe SiIvia
AG
Jack Boyett said:

Losing game #1 to a top ten team is not a reason to panic. It's more a sign of the culture we live. No patience at all and people are getting more and more stupid.
We have been patient since 1939 and 1998 respectively. This is such a stupid argument.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Jack Boyett said:

What does ND have that we don't?

Why are they a top ten team and we are not?

This was a night home game with over 100,000 in attendance.

We should win games like this.

CW's performance was atrocious yet we kept it close for a while.

Good coaching can and should have won us the game.

MagnumLoad
And when asked about pulling the qb, Elko compared it to other positions. That is simply false. Quarterback is not like any other position. Not even close. The entire offense runs through quarterback. Elko either was being dishonest and doing coach speak, or is badly mistaken. Either is very disappointing and disturbing.
Aggie87
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Onus is on the coach to use the NIL and raid the portal to flip the team around now.
You can probably argue that he actually did do this, and our defense (and OL) are both better for it, after the exodus of players from the previous season.

The QB performance, and to a lesser degree the QB/WRs not always being on the same page, killed this game for us.
MagnumLoad
It's the job of the OC and HC to fix that
sharpdressedman
Don't forget that we hired the guy who did not say no, and he was not near the top of the wish list. The same is true for Elko's hiring of assistants. JF wrecked the program, and I doubt that any of our top choices for HC were willing to deal with a dumpster fire, regardless of he money we were willing to pay them.

The CW performance debacle and the wild stories of his recreational behavior are a terrible distraction. Elko's plate is overflowing without adding the immediate and intense controversies created by CW's widely viewed, moronic behavior over a magic trick and his dismal performance on the field.

I believe Elko is a good coach, but not among the top tier. Nevertheless, he is our guy for the foreseeable future. Presently, he needs our strong support. We'll see what happens.
AGDAD14
I haven't turned. I still have the same opinion. It was an iffy hire of a coach, who doesn't have a strong enough reputation to hire tier one level assistants. I was and still am hopeful in the development and growth of this coaching staff. This is what you hire (get) when you have budget constraints. Hope for the best, enjoy the ride, and keep yelling for our Fightin' Texas Aggies! Gig'em!

BTHO McNesse, and tu forever!!!
Sbisa Chef
AggieDruggist89 said:

Opinion only.

Luke warm hire. And now with the portal and NIL, the expectation isn't 3 years to recruit and build his guys. Onus is on the coach to use the NIL and raid the portal to flip the team around now.
You are correct.

Texas A&M returned 72% of their offense, which is the highest in the SEC. Connor Weigman ain't the guy. We need Jaylen Henderson starting.
Thanks and Gig'em!
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
He's here for at least 2-3 years. Why do people feel the need to proclaim whether they're for or against him after 1 game?

Maroon Flash
AG
Severe malpractice in managing the most important position on the team.
Maroon Flash

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.