Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why some of us have turned against Elko already

17,032 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by AggieDruggist89
TxAg76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2thFixinAg said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

The road game at Florida will be a good litmus test for Mike Elko and Conner Weigman. Florida has lost 6 consecutive games, including 3 consecutive home games, and 24 of their last 34 games against Power 4 teams, dating back to a 37-34 home loss to LSU on 12/12/20.
That's a bottom end litmus test. It can only say how bad we are not how good we are. We "should" win that game easily. A loss would not bode well.

That's gonna be Napier's last gasp of breathable air, and that whole program knows it.

They may not be great, but if you don't think that staff and that team isn't gonna bring everything they've got for that game, you're out of your mind.

Desperate teams with decent rosters and backs against the wall are very dangerous.
LB12Diamond
AG
One could say the same thing for their game this past Saturday Vs an in state rival.

Beating the Gators will have more to do with how we play than how they play.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
jsc8116 said:

Disagree on UF being most winnable game....if you didnt watch the USCe/Old Dominion game last week, they looked like hot garbage, espicially at QB, thir QB looked like a less talented DJ Uiagalelei
Yes, South Carolina squeaked by Old Dominion 23-19, but Miami throttled Florida 41-17 in Gainesville for their 6th straight loss and 3rd straight home loss. Also, South Carolina has a bye week before hosting us on 11/2, and we will be coming off a tough home game against LSU. They will have a rest and home field advantage in a night game. For these reasons, I think Florida is the most winnable road game.
NoahAg
Aggie Dad 26 said:

5 years from now people will be looking back at this team and probably scratching their heads wondering "why"

The 2-deep is loaded with NFL talent. We have a backup QB that might put up heisman numbers if he transfers.
It is? Which position group? Not o-line, RB, or WR. D line, probably. LB, undetermined.
TxAg76
AG
LB12Diamond said:

One could say the same thing for their game this past Saturday Vs an in state rival.

Beating the Gators will have more to do with how we play than how they play.

I don't necessarily disagree, but week 1 games against a good opponent are typically a little wobbly for everyone.
This won't be week 1 for them, or for us.
Them losing their QB should certainly help though.
Little Rock Ag
AG
A&M football is like owning a Lamborghini and handing the keys to old men. For some reason, we never can find the right person to hand the keys to.
Aggie Dad 26
NoahAg said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

5 years from now people will be looking back at this team and probably scratching their heads wondering "why"

The 2-deep is loaded with NFL talent. We have a backup QB that might put up heisman numbers if he transfers.
It is? Which position group? Not o-line, RB, or WR. D line, probably. LB, undetermined.

Are you kidding me? The Dline has several guys that will play on Sundays. There are probably 2 or 3 that will play on Sundays at LB/secondary

The guys on defense that won't are still very solid.

TE? Reed has a very high ceiling
AggieDruggist89
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

A&M football is like owning a Lamborghini and handing the keys to old men. For some reason, we never can find the right person to hand the keys to.
You'd be surprised how many old men can completely tear up a lambo and pop them clutch.

Better analogy is giving a stick shift Lambo key to a 7 year old girl.

Most of us olds can drive a stick.
v1rotate92
AG
With NIL and transfer portal, new coaches at A&M have 2 years to do something. He inherited a top 10 talented roster. Everyone is pissed because this is same as it ever was. Good D, crap O. I'm not off the Elko train but he better do something great in the next 16 months: Make playoffs or at least 9-3 season.

On a side note. I was very optimistic and excited after our 2012 season opener loss to Florida in Sumlin's first year. We looked tough on D and O was moving the ball.
Slick
v1rotate92
AG
At least we have the best fans and atmosphere in the country. I watched several Notre Dame Fan podcasters discuss how Aggieland, Kyle and our fans made this the most memorable football game they ever saw. They were truly blown away. Only one game but Elko has to produce over the next 16 months
Slick
Aggie Apotheosis
Aggie Dad 26 said:

NoahAg said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Are you kidding me? The Dline has several guys that will play on Sundays. There are probably 2 or 3 that will play on Sundays at LB/secondary

The guys on defense that won't are still very solid.

TE? Reed has a very high ceiling

Lagway could be an NFL QB. Even if he's not, he'll probably play like one against us.
yonose
AG
I like the Elko hire. I don't like Klein's offense. It'll keep you in games, but you won't see much explosiveness out of it. Boring is all I can say. If you can't light up the scoreboard, you won't be able to attract recruits.
GW Ag
HeyAbbott said:

We have a bunch of whiners on TA that will complain about anything whether we win or lose. It is just 1 game into Coach Elko's tenure at A&M so let's see how things play out the rest of this season.
Agree, the sheer amount of Chicken Littles on this site is mind blowing.
Ol Rock
AG
I wish we hired Jedd Fisch. Technically, I never turned on Elko.

Elko was 9-4 and then 7-5 at Duke with Clemson falling off. Not exactly world beaters. I'm very impressed with his defense, but hard to win games when you only score 13 points in today's game.

I hope Elko turns it around. He says the right things. He loves the players. He is a nice person. I'll eat my words if he wins an SEC Championship, but I predict we never finish in the top 3 in the SEC during his tenure.

I expect us to be pedestrian under Elko. A big win here or there, but never a 10 win regular season.
halfastros81
AG
I was disappointed in the offense although not totally discouraged because the OL was definitely better against an excellent defense than we have seen in quite awhile.

Any talk of Elko definitely not being the right guy is weapons grade dumb at this point .
Ol Rock
AG
v1rotate92 said:

At least we have the best fans and atmosphere in the country. I watched several Notre Dame Fan podcasters discuss how Aggieland, Kyle and our fans made this the most memorable football game they ever saw. They were truly blown away. Only one game but Elko has to produce over the next 16 months

Every team loves to go a big stage environment with game day and a packed stadium of excited and cordial fans and leave with a win. I would have been thrilled if I were Notre Dame. They struggled on offense and still and left Aggieland with a 10 point win because of our anemic offense.

12 of 30 for 100 completion yds and 2 picks. It was a gift. This season's going to be rough if we don't get an immediate boost from the QB position.
whatthehey78
AG
78 yrs of mediocrity here. 1st A&M game...the Bear was on the sideline. For me, it's win or GTFO yesterday!
HTownAg
AG
Jack Boyett said:

Losing game #1 to a top ten team is not a reason to panic. It's more a sign of the culture we live. No patience at all and people are getting more and more stupid.
This ^

It was one game against a top 10 team with a very good defense.
whatthehey78
AG
HTownAg said:

Jack Boyett said:

Losing game #1 to a top ten team is not a reason to panic. It's more a sign of the culture we live. No patience at all and people are getting more and more stupid.
This ^

There are things known as upsets...but they are V E R Y rare around here. And there are things known as excuses, they are V E R Y common in these parts.
RightWingConspirator
AG
This is where I'm at. How many times can we be put in a nationally televised game and lay an egg? How many times can we be pitted against a name brand opponent and lose? At some point, we should win but somehow never do. It's tiresome.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
RightWingConspirator
AG
These types of posts have shown up every year for the last 30 years...inevitably, the folks to whom this response was given proved to be right. It's like clockwork now and cracks me up every time.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
AggieDruggist89
AG
GW Ag said:

HeyAbbott said:

We have a bunch of whiners on TA that will complain about anything whether we win or lose. It is just 1 game into Coach Elko's tenure at A&M so let's see how things play out the rest of this season.
Agree, the sheer amount of Chicken Littles on this site is mind blowing.
Must feel nice calling a bunch of Ags Chicken Littles.
AggieDruggist89
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

These types of posts have shown up every year for the last 30 years...inevitably, the folks to whom this response was given proved to be right. It's like clockwork now and cracks me up every time.
I think about 25 years.

Early years..around 1999, many of us pot bangers got the ban hammer. This aint my first account.

Early years of TexAgs was brutal with moderation. Anti-RC posts were scrubbed and taken down quickly.

I like the current moderation. Let everyone speak their mind. But I believe the tide has turned as forums like this isn't as popular...I could be wrong and perhaps TexAgs is more popular than ever.
MaxPower
AggieDruggist89 said:

RightWingConspirator said:

I think about 25 years.

Early years..around 1999, many of us pot bangers got the ban hammer. This aint my first account.

Early years of TexAgs was brutal with moderation. Anti-RC posts were scrubbed and taken down quickly.

I like the current moderation. Let everyone speak their mind. But I believe the tide has turned as forums like this isn't as popular...I could be wrong and perhaps TexAgs is more popular than ever.
I too was part of the RC purge. My second handle of Darth Potbanger prolly didn't help my cause much.
CoolAggie
AG
TexAgs will be hosting the same posts in Fall of 2029 when we start this whole process again. If we live in a simulation, the architect (or God) decided that this football program would continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

No point in getting angry anymore.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Were the potbangers wrong?

The only coach we should have supported and kept was Jackie. Every coach since stayed 1-3 years too long. And those were the periods we brought out the pot and banged.

I'm banging the pot now.

Will eat crow, if I'm wrong.

No poop slap.
AggieDruggist89
AG
whatthehey78 said:

78 yrs of mediocrity here. 1st A&M game...the Bear was on the sideline. For me, it's win or GTFO yesterday!
Sir,

We salute you!
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
hbkyle said:

I don't know about turning on Elko, but a lot of the general overreaction is due to us losing and the horns dominating.

Too many Ags base their sense of identity on the Ags comparative relationship with the horns. It's a primary reason I was so happy to be separated from them for 12 years. And so pissed at the SEC now.
I don't know that I agree with this. I would say it has more to do with the perennial disappointment that pervades our program as of late. I would even say that it dates all the way back to Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray departing the team at the same time.

Every year we fail to meet expectations. Either because a coach does not perform, or because of player injuries, or a combination of the two.

People are tired of seeing us consistently recruit in the top 10 but not seeing that talent translate into success on the field. People are tired of hearing about locker room issues, arrests, quiet quitting, coaches actively recruiting players away from our program while coaching our bowl game, etc.

There were a lot of high hopes for this season because of the fast response Elko had with the portal and the way he handled the media/high school coaches, etc.

Week one saw CW clearly not right behind center. We had a chance to win that game and many expected Elko to recognize that CW wasn't right and make a move to get us out of there with the W. In a vacuum, his decision to stick with CW was not a big deal, but in the context of everything above, it was a sign for many that this may yet be another lost season where A&M cant quite turn the corner as a program.

Beating ND at home at night to start the season would have been a catalyst. Instead, it is a concern. I don't blame many who are being overly critical for feeling the way they do and I think it has nothing to do with cow for many of them.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Going in to Week 2 of the Elko era and the A&M punter is talk of the town.
TexasAggie_97
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Were the potbangers wrong?

The only coach we should have supported and kept was Jackie. Every coach since stayed 1-3 years too long. And those were the periods we brought out the pot and banged.

I'm banging the pot now.

Will eat crow, if I'm wrong.

No poop slap.
You will not be wrong. In 3-4 years Elko will be gone and we will be looking for a new coach again. If we can ever find a competent AD that will do his job while also telling the BMAs to write a check and then shut the hell up we might actually hire a good coach.
Kozmozag
Our leadership totally screwed up the Jimbo situation. Who made that call? Sharp? Regents? Big donor? AD? Im pretty sure whoever it was is still there ready to screw up Elko's replacement.
Ags4DaWin
HTownAg said:

Jack Boyett said:

This ^

Come on. Stop with the moral victories. That attitude is pathetic and a loser's attitude.

The defense was not the reason Weigman threw the ball to the other team.....twice......and without any pressure in his face.

I DGAF WHO you play against in today's college game you have to be able to put up more than 1 touchdown a game.

Elko's stubborn refusal to look at other options against a top ten team we COULD have beaten if proper adjustments had been made is inexcusable. Most teams can STUMBLE into 2 touchdowns with a few trick plays, throwing something at the defense that is not on the tape, changing personnel to something the opposing defense hasn't prepped for.

It's game one
Against a top 10 team
Your QB is literally putting up historically bad numbers. Positions are not solidified in stone on week 1.

Make an adjustment. Find a way to win the game. The defense has put you in a place you can do that. Set the team up to have an interesting season. Come back against the patsies and reevaluate/figure out the right person for the position moving forward and grow the position there.

That would have been a winner's attitude.

Instead Elko played stubborn and put the team in the hole to start the season. It's that whole "If We Can Win A Key Game/Beat Texas It's A Good Season" mentality all over again.

Play the ****ing long game.

Elko showed he doesn't have that capability. Saban would have pulled Weigman and tries something else, whether that player was proven or not. A win like that early in the year is worth going after. This was not a growth game. But that is how Elko played it.

He showed he has the same stubborn mentality as Jimbo.

So as far as having a winner's mentality, Elko has shown that he doesn't have that.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Username checks out
antman8504
AG
I haven't given up on anyone except Wiegman
cocacolaaggie68
Hard to believe this anti coach attitude after ONE game. Don't make me laugh. He is an outstanding coach and I am fully 100% behind him verbally and monetarily. IF you are correct down the road I will apologize. However one game does not a season make. Class 68

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.