Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why some of us have turned against Elko already

17,037 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by AggieDruggist89
ashley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nick Saben lost Louisiana Monroe his first year.
musicman55
AG
My biggest problem with the Elko hire was the length of his contract at 7 years. We should know by the end of season 3 ( if not before) if he's got the chops to get it done here. Should have been a 5 year contract.
aggiedad7
AggieDruggist89 said:

Jack Boyett said:

Losing game #1 to a top ten team is not a reason to panic. It's more a sign of the culture we live. No patience at all and people are getting more and more stupid.
What does ND have that we don't?

Why are they a top ten team and we are not?

This was a night home game with over 100,000 in attendance.

We should win games like this.

CW's performance was atrocious yet we kept it close for a while.

Good coaching can and should have won us the game.

There needs to be urgency. This should be our year. The schedule has every tough game at home. No OU, Georgia, or Bama. I don't see how it's ever going to get easier than 2024 to make the playoffs and that's why people are pissed. Elko will win some games, but he's got a lot to prove to be "The Guy" that gets to the playoffs. Last year Duke averaged 180 yds/game passing with a 1st round QB. In 2022 it was a bit better at 231. Neither gets you real excited.
Agsttt
Velvet Jones said:

Protip - none of you know what you're talking about.

THIS!!!! 100% times infinity!!!
Gulf Coast Aggie
AG
Agsttt said:

Velvet Jones said:

Protip - none of you know what you're talking about.

THIS!!!! 100% times infinity!!!

Maybe not, but we damn sure know what we saw on the field.
Thunderstormr
AG
Kozmozag said:

Elko was a stop gap hire. If he turns into a home run gtreat, if not a few years to clear up some things then go big again.
The accomplished coaches we coveted wanted nothing to do with a perennial grease fire.
TopoTacos
AG
It's silly to turn on a coach after game 1, if anyone actually has. But I don't think that's what it is.

This fanbase has been burned by failure to meet expectations for basically 11 straight years. In that time we've continually seen what looks to be a turning point to success (Kenny Trill game 1, signing Kyler Murray, poaching natl champ Jimbo, landing the highest rated class of all time) and continually seen those amount to nothing.

This fan base just wants us to have a great season, a really great season. Basically every other school on our level in the last decade has had at least 1 great season (double digit wins, played in either a conf champ or a new years 6 bowl, playoffs, etc.) These fans show up game in/game out, fork over some major cash for tickets and 12th man foundation and now NIL and have felt like we continually shoot ourselves in the foot.

To start the season in a primetime matchup where everyone says this could be our big win and the offense sputters to that degree was really deflating. It was starting the new regime off on a rough footing when so many pundits and analysts and this website were priming everyone for a celebration.

I think Elko will be a great coach, but in the moment late Saturday night it was a frustrating feeling.
Thunderstormr
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Were the potbangers wrong?

The only coach we should have supported and kept was Jackie. Every coach since stayed 1-3 years too long. And those were the periods we brought out the pot and banged.

I'm banging the pot now.

Will eat crow, if I'm wrong.

No poop slap.
Sorry but Jackie was a confirmed cheat/rule breaker everywhere he coached and ended his illustrious career at the pinnacle in Starkville Mississippi. Time erodes all memories.
PanzerAggie06
AG
HTownAg said:

Jack Boyett said:

Losing game #1 to a top ten team is not a reason to panic. It's more a sign of the culture we live. No patience at all and people are getting more and more stupid.
This ^

It was one game against a top 10 team with a very good defense.

No. Not this.

Expecting people to reset their "patience clock" every time A&M hires the supposed latest and greatest coach is an unreasonable expectation. Especially given our decades of spectacular underperformance.

Elko has many things going for him such as resources, facilities, money, etc., patience is not a part of that.
SA-AG72
AG
I haven't turned away from Coach Elko. That being said, he is expecting our players to buy into his system and get themselves in prime physical condition. I expect him to not just talk the talk but walk the walk by getting himself in the best condition possible. Enough said.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Jack Boyett said:

Who's stupid now... Top Ten team my ass

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.