Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why some of us have turned against Elko already

17,035 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by AggieDruggist89
rangerdanger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought he was a weak hire, but I'm giving it a season to evaluate if it was the wrong hire.

I wanted him to pull CW so bad on Saturday, but I chalk that up to him granting the opportunity to overcome adversity. The way he blew up on the sideline makes me think the leash is pretty short now.
rootube
AG
I think it's because we lost a game that honestly looks like an extension of last year and we've seen this before. Offense was MIA and defense played well overall but whiffed on critical stops.

Think about the LSU game for example. If you are an LSU fan you saw evidence of a solid foundation on both sides of the ball with some things that need to be cleaned up. Our offense looked like it needed to be flushed down the toilet and we need to start over from scratch.

I'm not saying we can't improve but we are not going to have a good offense this year. I just don't see it. So if that's true what do we do? Do we need more 5 star players. We've kind of been there too.
AggieDruggist89
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

He's here for at least 2-3 years. Why do people feel the need to proclaim whether they're for or against him after 1 game?

How about you? Are you for, against, or undecided?
Kozmozag
Elko was a stop gap hire. If he turns into a home run gtreat, if not a few years to clear up some things then go big again.
The Collective
AG
People buy into hype and set themselves up for disappointment often. I think football is too complicated for things to be clear so quickly. But I still love the overreaction that would have come with either result on Saturday.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Kozmozag said:

Elko was a stop gap hire. If he turns into a home run gtreat, if not a few years to clear up some things then go big again.
Why would we do this and waste a few years? Save money?
rootube
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Kozmozag said:

I can help. He is not a stop gap hire. He was the best available coach when we decided to make a change.
Keith70Chevelle
The saddest thing of all is we have NO nil money. It's all going to dumbo. Texas pockets are flowing over with nil money. Look who is money whipping players. And it ain't us.
EclipseAg
AG
rootube said:

I think it's because we lost a game that honestly looks like an extension of last year and we've seen this before... Our offense looked like it needed to be flushed down the toilet and we need to start over from scratch.

Always amazes me that you can watch a weekend of college football and see multiple quarterbacks at all levels of quality complete passes downfield. Except the Aggie QB, whoever he is at the time.

Doesn't mean those QBs always win, but at least they give their teams a chance offensively. We always seem to be stuck in neutral.
rootube
AG
EclipseAg said:

rootube said:

I think it's because we lost a game that honestly looks like an extension of last year and we've seen this before... Our offense looked like it needed to be flushed down the toilet and we need to start over from scratch.

Always amazes me that you can watch a weekend of college football and see multiple quarterbacks at all levels of quality complete passes downfield. Except the Aggie QB, whoever he is at the time.

Doesn't mean those QBs always win, but at least they give their teams a chance offensively. We always seem to be stuck in neutral.

I know it's sad. Every year is not going to be Manziel magic. I get that, but this is depressing because it's very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
superunknown
AG
rootube said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Kozmozag said:

I can help. He is not a stop gap hire. He was the best available coach when we decided to make a change.

Maybe not a stop gap hire completely but it was a face-saving hire after the Stoops swerve. Elko being a trusted/familiar name who would take the job (and not be too aggressive negotiating for it) is why he was the hire.

Hey, it could have been worse, right? Could have been Chad Morris.
Sip du jour
He needs time. Only a handful of coaches have ever turned a program into contenders in a year or 2.
MaroonStain
AG
Only posting to state this thread and responses are Dumb AND Silly. Nice work, Zoo!
2% Ag 01
AG
Elko is coming in and doing and saying the right things with this team. He's overturning years of culture flaws in the program and piecing together a team that can go out and compete. The defense looked good, but the offense was very clearly flawed.

Is that a reason to turn on him, 1 game in? That's absurd. New system with a qb who is returning from injury and has to face ND defense with a defensive coordinator who is a master at disguising coverages. This was going to be a dogfight and we obviously know the result.

The measure of the team isn't losing 1 game, or even looking awful for 1 game... it's how the respond. How do they improve? Do they continue to show up for Elko, or shut it down? And can we show enough to recruit?

But those of you wanting to turn on Connor and Elko already are weak.
Demo_Slug
AG
Maroon Flash said:

Severe malpractice in managing the most important position on the team.

Is that you Jimbo?
zb008
Kozmozag said:

He feels very similar to Sherman in that regard. Sherman wasn't seen as a home run hire and neither was Elko.
Honolulu Blue
I thought we might finally have a coach who:
1. Makes in game adjustments, including personnel
2. Maximizes production
3. Ensure we are the better conditioned team

None of those hopes were satisfied on Saturday
fav13andac1)c
AG
Doubledown 2447 said:

I have nott turned but my opinion dropped dramatically but watching us doggedly do the same things that has led to failure before.
We should have changed qb during the game and gave our team a chance to win.
You don't change QBs with a tied ball game late in the 4th quarter. It's not like we were playing App State.

It was a hard fought game up until the very end.
TyperWoods
Elko is a good hire

As far as Jimbo, we contracted him to protect us from ourselves and give him time.

A mistake, because once Elko left he went to crap and we still had a long time left on his contract, and we ain't gonna prevent even us from hurting us.
Aggie Apotheosis
What I can't understand is how, in a state in which seven on seven flourishes and QBs and speedy WRs seemingly grow on trees, we can EVER be in this position. This is Texas, dangit. There is enough talent just in the state for us to field a great team every year. I'm not old yet but I'm not exactly young and I want to see a championship at least once in my life. I think about a couple of my classmates who were huge fans and who have already passed away. They never got to see us amount to a hill of beans. I'm wondering if Kyle was inadvertently located on an old Indian burial ground or something. Sheesh!
kyledr04
AG
Decades of losing and numerous over-hyped coaching hires have ruined everyone's patience
Aggie_Nuke
AG
TyperWoods said:

Aggie_Nuke said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I was never on board with the Elko hire. It's ok.

Ultimately it's on Elko for setting up CW for the failure. CW failed miserably and Elko failed to make necessary adjustments. And if Klein failed to manage our offense, this also falls on Elko too. It's about the accountability.

Let's see how Elko manages our program in 2024. My guess is he'll be mediocre at best by losing all the games we will lose and beat up on small programs we are suppose to. And I don't believe that what we want.
Agree completely, and we're well on our way to year 85 of mediocrity !

We haven't been mediocre for 85 years.

Such a sip post
Try reading.... it says "on our way to year 85", which is intuitively obvious to all but the most casual reader that it means 84 years (i.e., 1939-2023) have been completed, and year 85 (2024) is beginning.

Or, if you're arguing the "we haven't been mediocre", then give us your definition of mediocre. As for me, anything less than a Natty is mediocre....... feel free to chime in as to why you think a season that doesn't end with a Natty is not mediocre.

Idiot !

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
SWAGBOT
AG
Some of these replies are insane. Elko was a good hire for us. Who else did you expect us to get? Don't forget that our next best option was Mark Stoops.

Yes, CW didn't look very good on Saturday. Not sure if he was sick or dehydrated but he was puking on the field. He was also facing the best DB unit that he'll see this season. All of that aside, we were tied 13-13 going into the 4th. You don't pull your starting QB who proved himself to the team and staff to be QB1 during the offseason when you're tied going into the 4th.

There's a lot to learn from in game 1. If CW looks the same over the next few weeks, we can question if he should start. If Elko doesn't make any changes after that, we can question his decision making. Lotta season left.
In4TheHuddle
AG
Many have turned because this is the same thing we've seen over and over and over again for decades. However this is true of most programs except for the blue blood programs that always seem to find a way to have the lucky breaks needed to win championships. I
Maroon Flash
AG
"Is that you Jimbo?"

No it is an actual graduate who has supported Aggie athletics for more than 4 decades.

I am tired of the bull**** like leaving in a QB who wasn't hitting the broad side of a barn.

I don't give a **** who get's their feelings hurt or who has to be run off to stop that type of stupid *****
Maroon Flash
AggieDruggist89
AG
SWAGBOT said:

Some of these replies are insane. Elko was a good hire for us. Who else did you expect us to get? Don't forget that our next best option was Mark Stoops.
This is the tragedy in all this.

Stoops???? Sure... we may have made a run for him.

But that's all we can do?????? If so, why bother?
Brother Shamus
We freaked out with tu coming in (and looking like they may do well) and Jimbo having a bad year. So we pulled the trigger on a 90 million fire and forced to settle for somebody. Sure enough we settled on a former coordinator of Jimbo and what i saw Saturday night looked no different to years prior.
Aggie2
fav13andac1)c said:

Doubledown 2447 said:

I have nott turned but my opinion dropped dramatically but watching us doggedly do the same things that has led to failure before.
We should have changed qb during the game and gave our team a chance to win.
You don't change QBs with a tied ball game late in the 4th quarter. It's not like we were playing App State.

It was a hard fought game up until the very end.
It was the defense that kept it tied.
Big Ed Bookman
2% Ag 01 said:

Elko is coming in and doing and saying the right things with this team. He's overturning years of culture flaws in the program and piecing together a team that can go out and compete. The defense looked good, but the offense was very clearly flawed.

Is that a reason to turn on him, 1 game in? That's absurd. New system with a qb who is returning from injury and has to face ND defense with a defensive coordinator who is a master at disguising coverages. This was going to be a dogfight and we obviously know the result.

The measure of the team isn't losing 1 game, or even looking awful for 1 game... it's how the respond. How do they improve? Do they continue to show up for Elko, or shut it down? And can we show enough to recruit?

Best post in this thread.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Big Ed Bookman said:

2% Ag 01 said:

Best post in this thread.
Is that you Mrs. Elko?
TyperWoods
Aggie_Nuke said:

TyperWoods said:

Aggie_Nuke said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I was never on board with the Elko hire. It's ok.

Ultimately it's on Elko for setting up CW for the failure. CW failed miserably and Elko failed to make necessary adjustments. And if Klein failed to manage our offense, this also falls on Elko too. It's about the accountability.

Let's see how Elko manages our program in 2024. My guess is he'll be mediocre at best by losing all the games we will lose and beat up on small programs we are suppose to. And I don't believe that what we want.
Agree completely, and we're well on our way to year 85 of mediocrity !

We haven't been mediocre for 85 years.

Such a sip post
Try reading.... it says "on our way to year 85", which is intuitively obvious to all but the most casual reader that it means 84 years (i.e., 1939-2023) have been completed, and year 85 (2024) is beginning.

Or, if you're arguing the "we haven't been mediocre", then give us your definition of mediocre. As for me, anything less than a Natty is mediocre....... feel free to chime in as to why you think a season that doesn't end with a Natty is not mediocre.

Idiot !

We went undefeated in 1994.
We lost 1 game in 2020.

Considering any season that is not a NC season as mediocre is either stupid or trolling. And you can't spell stupid without tu. Sip.

Idiot.
Aggie87
AG
Keith70Chevelle said:

The saddest thing of all is we have NO nil money. It's all going to dumbo. Texas pockets are flowing over with nil money. Look who is money whipping players. And it ain't us.

We had one of the best transfer portal classes this past offseason. That doesn't happen if we aren't paying $ to them.

So your premise is wrong.

Our performance on the field this season will determine whether our next high school classes remain ranked high or whether players decommit and go elsewhere. But it won't be because of $.
PsychoAg98
AG
I think ultimately the anus is squarely on you.
HoustonAggie427
Yes all the comparisons are back out. Someone on ESPN was raving that Arch had better stats than Connor.
HoustonAggie427
But you all need to realize, you can't change the culture of a program in 6 months.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.