Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Owens - is this legitimate?

31,371 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by Randy Rhodes
leardriver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can Terry Bussey take reps at running back?

CB, '67

Sometimes if you want a different answer, you have to ask a different question.
AWP 97
AG
SouthCollegeStation said:

Everybody quit worrying.

Amari Daniels - Miami, FL - RB - 5-9 - 215 - Junior (RS)

Le'Veon Moss - Walker, LA - RB - 6-0 - 215 - Junior

EJ Smith - Dallas, TX - RB - 6-0 - 210 - Graduate

Preston Landis - Rockwall, TX - RB - 5-11 - 210 - Sophomore (RS)

We have lots of Experience and Talent at this position...

This is one of my favorite TexAgs traditions. It really helps when a poster just lists every player at the position with their height and weight and then tells us not to worry because of the talent and experience of the position group.
txaggie11
AG
he was special
Richierich2323
On a team, that has not been busting their butt and do not have a "next man up" attitude this could be a huge loss for the team.

Thankfully, the changes made by Elko this off-season and the work that each individual has put into their development makes this loss hurt...but it is not something that we can't overcome as a team.

Meximan
well_endowed_ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

well_endowed_ag said:

I'm sure it's true. Happens to multiple of our key players every single fall camp, without fail. We can never go into a season with our playmakers healthy and play up to our potential like other good teams. It just never happens.

While he's a really good RB, it's still a position that's stacked. Notre Dame is out of their starting LT
He is a singular talent and a player we have to have major contributions from if we're going to make any noise on offense this year. Also, it's not a stacked position. Now we're down to Moss and Daniels as far as players who have ever done anything in real game situations. It was pretty stacked with Owens. It's pretty thin without him.

He's good but I wouldn't call him singular. The last singular talents in college football at tailback were Adrian Peterson and Reggie Bush, and he ain't them.
TxAg76
AG
Moss is the best back in the room.
Rumor has it Amari looks wayyy different, since Moffitt

Reuben was gonna be good given the raw ability, but from last year his pass pro was worst on the team, and his inability to use his blockers put him behind Daniels in my book.

And I'm not sure why anybody's sleeping on EJ Smith. That kids every bit as good as Daniels, so long as he's healthy
203Raggie
AG
TxAg76 said:

Moss is the best back in the room.
Rumor has it Amari looks wayyy different, since Moffitt

Reuben was gonna be good given the raw ability, but from last year his pass pro was worst on the team, and his inability to use his blockers put him behind Daniels in my book.

And I'm not sure why anybody's sleeping on EJ Smith. That kids every bit as good as Daniels, so long as he's healthy

Smith doesn't have the numbers that are eye popping. But I think he could be highly effective. Especially with that game he had against ND
Maroon Dawn
AG
Welp

Wouldn't be A&M football without a season ending injury to a starting player in practice right before the season starts
fieldtrailer
AG
Moss is injury prone. Daniels can't hold onto the ball. Smith has to stay healthy. Worst/ weakest rb group I can remember in 40 years. Even sleepy and Fran recruited well. This along with oline could make for another bad offensive season. A really good oline would help reduce impact of a weak rb group.
Aggie Apotheosis
fieldtrailer said:

Moss is injury prone. Daniels can't hold onto the ball. Smith has to stay healthy. Worst/ weakest rb group I can remember in 40 years. Even sleepy and Fran recruited well. This along with oline could make for another bad offensive season. A really good oline would help reduce impact of a weak rb group.

We can't afford even a single injury at a position that suffers a lot of injuries. This season has the potential to be 14 or 15 games long.
BigOil
AG
Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

It sucks, and it's a big loss, but there's nothing we can do about it at this point. Just gotta have the next man up mentality. Owens got injured? Good. That gives another guys more opportunities.

Pretty sure "good" is not a word I would've used.

I guess you weren't paying attention during baseball season. The team adopted the mantra of former Navy SEAL Jocko Wilinck. Whenever anything happens, positive or negative, there's always some "Good" we can take from it. It's a mindset.

The two are not even remotely in the same context. Throughout the baseball season, that term was used when open (wait for it) things happened. It most definitely was not used even once after losing Montgomery.
Yes it was. Montgomery's injury absolutely sucked. But people absolutely did say "Good" to that. Good applies when things are going well for you and when things aren't. No matter what, you gotta keep that same mindset. It's not saying you're happy the guy got injured. But you've gotta move on and keep fighting.

No.

Montgomery was wearing the GOOD cap the next day.
dixichkn
AG
leardriver said:

Can Terry Bussey take reps at running back?

CB, '67

This is what I'm thinking. Even if it's just 2-3 carries a game or put him in some kind of wildcat or RPO package just to spell the others for a few plays. That's a special talent. Why not take advantage?
LB12Diamond
AG
Best part of this thread. Some posters showing they are either not Aggie baseball fans or had no clue on the "Good" meaning.

And the thread also showing the typical posters on here that clearly wear a "Bad" cap all the time.
greg.w.h
AG
Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

It sucks, and it's a big loss, but there's nothing we can do about it at this point. Just gotta have the next man up mentality. Owens got injured? Good. That gives another guys more opportunities.

I guess you weren't paying attention during baseball season. The team adopted the mantra of former Navy SEAL Jocko Wilinck. Whenever anything happens, positive or negative, there's always some "Good" we can take from it. It's a mindset.

The two are not even remotely in the same context. Throughout the baseball season, that term was used when open (wait for it) good things happened. It most definitely was not used even once after losing Montgomery.
You mean Braden didn't wear a Good cap after getting injured???

https://imgur.com/bNvyz35
alexandertheok
I hate it for the guy.
Double Diamond
QB runs a lot in the Klein offense.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

The two are not even remotely in the same context. Throughout the baseball season, that term was used when open (wait for it) things happened. It most definitely was not used even once after losing Montgomery.
Yes it was. Montgomery's injury absolutely sucked. But people absolutely did say "Good" to that. Good applies when things are going well for you and when things aren't. No matter what, you gotta keep that same mindset. It's not saying you're happy the guy got injured. But you've gotta move on and keep fighting.

No.

Rueben Owens getting injured is the exact type of scenario where you would respond with "GOOD". Despite being in a negative situation, there's an opportunity for "GOOD" to come out of it (Moss, Daniels, and/or Smith stepping up).
northeastag
AG
If history is any guide, one or more of our other running backs will go down at some point in the season. The loss of Owens definitely hurts.
Bogey1996
I was wondering who our incoming Freshman RB was......only to realize we whiffed on all RB's.
beerad12man
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

I'm sure it's true. Happens to multiple of our key players every single fall camp, without fail. We can never go into a season with our playmakers healthy and play up to our potential like other good teams. It just never happens.
You mean like how ND already lost their LT and best DT off the bench. Texas lost their RB?

In reality, you only pay attention to us. Most teams have an injury or two in the offseason that hurts them for the season. Before 2022, ours were no more than normal. 2022/2023 were higher injury rates than average, but before then, what you are saying really isn't true any more so than any other program.
NyAggie
AG
beerad12man said:

well_endowed_ag said:

You mean like how ND already lost their LT and best DT off the bench. Texas lost their RB?

In reality, you only pay attention to us. Most teams have an injury or two in the offseason that hurts them for the season. Before 2022, ours were no more than normal. 2022/2023 were higher injury rates than average, but before then, what you are saying really isn't true any more so than any other program.

That's. Teams

I wouldn't call 3 out of 130 "most"

Smith and Daniels are going to be needed big time and we have to hope and pray that moss stays healthy

I'm expecting ej smith to pick up a larger role, especially as a pass catcher out of the backfield

LB12Diamond
AG
He picked out those teams bc they are on our schedule. Do you really think those are the only teams to have an injured player? OU lost a starting WR. And there are others. We just don't watch what's taking place at all the other teams.
beerad12man
AG
Huh? I only listed teams that are on our schedule and I knew of off hand. I guarantee you that if went down all 130, you aren't finding only 3 examples.

Now, maybe some aren't as big as Rueben Owens? Considering most teams don't even have a 5 star. But I'd say most teams don't have 100% of players for game one. if not, every single team. The odds of having everyone available for game 1, or any game for that matter, are virtually zero.

In reality, we are probably healthier than the average team right now in terms of overall number of guys who wouldn't be available if we played today.

That said, yes, Owens was a big one, because RB is a position you rotate and typically 1-2 guys get dinged throughout the season, too.
greg.w.h
AG
ESPN confirmed but that usually is a bit of mixed bag. It could be an accurate report. It could turn out as they suggested. He might get a different diagnosis and prognosis as treatment is underway and as he recovers based on what they see at that time. We all hope the best for Ruben first and foremost. And would love to have him bank before the end of the season if that works out.
Aggie Therapist
AG
AWP 97 said:

SouthCollegeStation said:

Everybody quit worrying.

Amari Daniels - Miami, FL - RB - 5-9 - 215 - Junior (RS)

Le'Veon Moss - Walker, LA - RB - 6-0 - 215 - Junior

EJ Smith - Dallas, TX - RB - 6-0 - 210 - Graduate

Preston Landis - Rockwall, TX - RB - 5-11 - 210 - Sophomore (RS)

We have lots of Experience and Talent at this position...

This is one of my favorite TexAgs traditions. It really helps when a poster just lists every player at the position with their height and weight and then tells us not to worry because of the talent and experience of the position group.

I spit out coffee
Southlake
Haven't seen any of them play in 10 months. Should be bigger, stronger and faster. Should be.

So, who knows?
Agsttt
greg.w.h said:

Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

The two are not even remotely in the same context. Throughout the baseball season, that term was used when open (wait for it) good things happened. It most definitely was not used even once after losing Montgomery.
You mean Braden didn't wear a Good cap after getting injured???

https://imgur.com/bNvyz35

It's not my fault all of this is sailing over your heads.
Agsttt
concac said:

LOL @ the arrogance of some people to think that losing a talented player like Owens would not have an impact on a team that finished 7-6 last season.

I don't think those people mean any harm. After all, he was part of the 7-6 team and there was still a 6 on the right side of the dash. But yes, he is a huge talent and he will, of course, be missed. It's a genuine shame he won't be able to partake in the first year of a real offense.
12thmanfootball
AG
More proof that we build the University on an Indian Burial Ground.
StinkyPinky
AG
Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

Agsttt said:

BLSmith04 said:

LOL! No it doesn't. Feel free to join us during the baseball season. You'll enjoy it, good people, good fun, and you can learn stuff about the team and players.
soleta27
Hate to do it, but I wonder what an emergency RB situation might require us to do. As I remember, Dalton Brooks was unstoppable in high school
W
AG
kind of the bottomline...

one more injury at RB...and the Ags are in big trouble in the backfield
Ags2013
AG
soleta27 said:

Hate to do it, but I wonder what an emergency RB situation might require us to do. As I remember, Dalton Brooks was unstoppable in high school
I think we're okay with Leveon and Amari. EJ is also capable. I don't think having open tryouts for RB is necessary.
cevans_40
AG
fieldtrailer said:

Zero career fumbles and you type this garbage.
Ags2013
AG
cevans_40 said:

fieldtrailer said:

Zero career fumbles and you type this garbage.
I don't think any of the three are game breakers (maybe Moss) but they are all capable backs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.