Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Florida Game line is surprising

11,388 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by 87_Was_Long_Ago
HTownMan87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm surprised we are only 4.5 favorites. We have some holes but they got their ace handed to them by Miami and now have a freshman QB.

I guess this is due to our struggles on the road and Weigman's/offense's 1st game struggles being big question marks. Will be truly a sad mark on where things are at if we don't go in there and play a solid game and win.

Here's to hoping Klein goes in to the Swamp and puts on a masterclass with Weigman.
Buck Turgidson
We're a mediocre team going on the road to a hostile SEC stadium. I'm surprised we are favored at all, even if Florida is struggling. This gave is very losable.
rockwalltxag
AG
31-17 A&M
AggieRob93
AG
We run the ball, we win. We throw 30 times or more? It's a loss.
ccolley68
AG
The faster people stop thinking what Weigman did was struggle against ND and call it what it was, an absolute abomination, the better off we will be. If he had put up the numbers he did against McNeese St in the ND game, we would have been concerned about the offense. Only, he did way worse than that. Then followed it up by putting up those pedestrian numbers against a terrible McNeese team. But because they were better than the ND game, it makes everyone feel like he's doing better. If what we've gotten the first two weeks is what we get all year from a 3rd year starter, we won't win more than 2 more games. This is a bad team right now. Hopefully drastic improvement is soon.
FWTXAg
AG
HTownMan87 said:

I'm surprised we are only 4.5 favorites. We have some holes but they got their ace handed to them by Miami and now have a freshman QB.

I guess this is due to our struggles on the road and Weigman's/offense's 1st game struggles being big question marks. Will be truly a sad mark on where things are at if we don't go in there and play a solid game and win.

Here's to hoping Klein goes in to the Swamp and puts on a masterclass with Weigman.

I can assure you that Vegas does not wear the same colored glasses as our resident Sunshine Pumpers.
war hymn aggie
AG
we haven't won a conference game on the road since 2021 against a below .500 team in Mizzou.

I'd be happy with a win in The Swamp any year.
BillYeoman
FWTXAg said:

HTownMan87 said:

I can assure you that Vegas does not wear the same colored glasses as our resident Sunshine Pumpers.

Every team has sunshine pumpers

3rd game of the year. Load up on Aggies with the points.
GoodAg Paulie
AG
ccolley68 said:

Then followed it up by putting up those pedestrian numbers against a terrible McNeese team.

Pedestrian numbers? He came out before the end of the 2nd qtr. Extrapolate out his numbers over 4 qtrs and he is sitting at 300 yrs, 4 TDs and 70% accuracy. Considering we ran the ball at will and did not rely on the pass....those would not be pedestrian #s. He moved the offense to 5 straight TD drives......hard to improve on that.
Aggie Dad Sip
A&M will stroll into the swamp and curbstomp Florida. Lagway put up video game numbers against some school somewhere called Samford. He will be overwhelmed on Saturday. Ags cruise 40-13.
jriv09
Their other QB is back. Both will play but Napier said Mertz is their starter for what it's worth.
Sparkie
AG
ccolley68 said:

The faster people stop thinking what Weigman did was struggle against ND and call it what it was, an absolute abomination, the better off we will be. If he had put up the numbers he did against McNeese St in the ND game, we would have been concerned about the offense. Only, he did way worse than that. Then followed it up by putting up those pedestrian numbers against a terrible McNeese team. But because they were better than the ND game, it makes everyone feel like he's doing better. If what we've gotten the first two weeks is what we get all year from a 3rd year starter, we won't win more than 2 more games. This is a bad team right now. Hopefully drastic improvement is soon.

PFF graded his performance the best in div5 last week. But, don't let a bunch of guys who watch a ton of film get in the way of your story.
FWTXAg
AG
BillYeoman said:

FWTXAg said:

HTownMan87 said:

They've got more to work with than ours do.
rootube
AG
HTownMan87 said:

If you understand Miami is way better than ND it will make more sense. I'm more surprised UF is not favored at home.
AGDAD14
Two struggling programs. But we have HOPE, cause we have a new coach, and they still have their old coach thank goodness!
Ag1188
AG
jriv09 said:

Their other QB is back. Both will play but Napier said Mertz is their starter for what it's worth.
We probably finish off Mertz's career there, and Sips will have to play against Lagway their whole game.
Ag1188
AG
rootube said:

If you understand Miami is way better than ND it will make more sense. I'm more surprised UF is not favored at home.
Miami is "way better" primarily because the Miami QB is elite and accurate. That's why he was so expensive.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Despite a 10-game road losing streak, including a 9-game SEC road losing streak, I am not surprised that we are a 3.5-point road favorite. Dating back to a 43-20 loss to Georgia on 10/28/23, Florida has lost 6 consecutive games against Power 4 teams, including 3 consecutive home games against Power 4 teams. From the beginning of 2018 through the first 9 games of 2020, Dan Mullen had won 24 of his first 30 games against Power 4 teams, but since the infamous shoe throw in a 37-34 home loss to LSU on 12/12/20, Florida is 10-24 (2-9 at the end of Dan Mullen's tenure, 1-0 under interim head coach Greg Knox, and 7-15 under Billy Napier) in their last 34 games against Power 4 teams.

From the beginning of 2018 through the first 9 games of 2021, Jimbo Fisher had won 25 of his first 37 games against Power 4 teams, but since our 29-19 road loss at Ole Miss on 11/13/21, we have gone 7-15 (7-12 at the end Jimbo Fisher's tenure, 0-2 under interim head coach Elijah Robinson, and 0-1 under Mike Elko) in our last 22 games against Power 4 teams, including 10 consecutive road losses. Also, we have lost 3 consecutive games against Power 4 teams, dating back to our 42-30 loss at LSU on 11/25/23.

Both Texas A&M and Florida lost home openers to nonconference Power 4 opponents by 10+ points each, and both are desperate to start 1-0 in SEC play to snap lengthy losing streaks against Power 4 teams. Hopefully, we snap a 10-game road losing streak and a 3-game losing streak to Power 4 opponents with a win at Florida. That would give us our first road win since a 35-14 win at Missouri on 10/16/21, 1064 days or 152 weeks later. Otherwise, a loss at Florida would extend our road losing streak to 11 games and our road winning drought past 3 years and at least 1099 days or 157 weeks by our next true road game at Mississippi State on 10/19. Also, our losing streak to Power 4 opponents would extend to 4 games.
Corn Pop
Do we really need a history lesson?

If you can't see that what is going to happen to us on Saturday, you're blindly ignoring what's in front of you.
HTownMan87
Quote:

"If you can't see that what is going to happen to us on Saturday"
hahah Geez Dude, give me some hope
Bryanisbest
AG
ccolley68 said:

Something was "wrong with CW?" in game one that was not wrong with him in game 2 and probably won't be in the Swamp this Sat. He will play well and we beat Fla.
Bryanisbest
AG
BillYeoman said:

FWTXAg said:

HTownMan87 said:

If this board was problems it's not sunshine people. Far greater problem is the number of doom merchants.

TJKDone
AGDAD14 said:

Two struggling programs. But we have HOPE, cause we have a new coach, and they still have their old coach thank goodness!

I am not sure about the game. I'll always be thinking Aggie win, but us not having home field is a big loss for us.

Napier led teams are better with a dual threat QB. Lagaway is a starter in waiting, IMO.

If we avoid the early mistake and take the air out of their crowd, we'll win and likely cover.

The potential exists, much great than lightning striking as a possibility, that they get us down early and win comfortably.

Gig'em
AgLA06
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

We're a mediocre team going on the road to a hostile SEC stadium. I'm surprised we are favored at all, even if Florida is struggling. This gave is very losable.

Now do Florida and tell me how hostile that less than capacity stadium is going to be.
rootube
AG
AgLA06 said:

Buck Turgidson said:

Now do Florida and tell me how hostile that less than capacity stadium is going to be.

They are in the same boat as us. The assumption that we are somehow better than UF is astonishing. What on earth would you base that assumption on? Also want to bet the stadium is full for the UF SEC home opener?

If you had to pick our twin I'm the SEC it would be UF. Tremendously talented players who consistently underperform expectations.
halfastros81
AG
You can't exactly blame gamblers for not having much confidence in A & M football . They have been conditioned just like we have.
leftlane4passing
AG
I had us losing this game pre season but I also had us beating ND so maybe I know nothing.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
leftlane4passing said:

I had us losing this game pre season but I also had us beating ND so maybe I know nothing.
I had the same spit prediction preseason based on how much better we have been at home than on the road under Jimbo Fisher. I predicted we would finish 9-3 with road losses at Florida and Auburn and one home loss to Texas. After 2 weeks, I think the road games at Florida, Mississippi State, and Auburn are likely wins. My current season predictions are 8-4 with additional home losses to Missouri and Texas and a road loss at South Carolina.

Now, I think South Carolina will be our toughest road game. They just throttled Kentucky 31-6 in Lexington. I knew that South Carolina has a bye week before hosting us on 11/2, and we will be coming off a tough home game against LSU. They will have a rest and home field advantage in a night game, but because of South Carolina's narrow 23-19 win over Old Dominion, I thought it would be a likely road win. Now, I won't be surprised if South Carolina upsets LSU in their first SEC home game on Saturday.

HallaronAg88
AG
Jimbo Fisher played collegiate QB at Samford.
Proud member of the Class of '88. Gig'em!
20ag07
I'm really surprised this game isn't a 2.5 spread. But there are too many Florida haters that would jump all over us with that line.

This game probably does get won by 3.

Not touching this line with a 10 foot pole.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Lagway will be in the Heisman conversation on Sunday morning.
BMX Bandit
20ag07 said:

I'm really surprised this game isn't a 2.5 spread. But there are too many Florida haters that would jump all over us with that line.

This game probably does get won by 3.

Not touching this line with a 10 foot pole.
thought the same thing.
P.U.T.U
AG
Young coworker has not learned his lesson, never bet on A&M games, think he has lost the past 5 games
BlueSmoke
FL is hot garbage
20ag07
Sometimes you've gotta be OK paying a victory tax.

But not at 4.5.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.